Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

JT Smiley posted:

I'll never understand the amount of love Xan gets, she's terrible.
They started doing interesting stuff with her double life, then wrote her off the show. I think she had a lot of potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

nooneofconsequence posted:

oh my god the loving puppet.

...is that a person?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Guy A. Person posted:

What is good about her is Kimmy making her more and more infuriated with her weirdness. This season it felt like it was all wacky characters and nobody reacting to Kimmy's weird stuff as much.

Yea, she was the straight man character, who realized how crazy everything was, this season the show lacked someone like that.

I'll eat poo to have some pink cocaine.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

...is that a person?

I liked that Mike didn't know, either.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, she was the straight man character, who realized how crazy everything was, this season the show lacked someone like that.

That's a problem a lot of sitcoms have as they go on. Audiences always say they hate those characters without understanding their function and think they get in the way of the funny people. And they're not as much fun to write, so they can be the first ones to go or get turned into cartoons of themselves.

Poor Miserable Gurgi fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 17, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FoxTerrier posted:

Just finished the series.

Seconded. Titus/Mike foreva' :3:

It's also sadly refreshing to have a gay couple who're allowed to be affectionate on screen. Usually you're lucky if they're allowed to hold hands on camera.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Kind of a bummer Dong got written out the way he did, but them's the breaks.
And I really like the resolution with Kimmy's mother. Stuff like that doesn't get fixed so easily.
Is the composer from this show the same guy who did Arrested Development? The love/romantic theme was a remix of the Charlie Brown Christmas song

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nah, it's Jeff Richmond, 30 Rock composer and Mr. Fey.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Speaking of, Tina's character this year was WAY better than the lazy Marcia Clark caricature.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The only problem I had with this season was how abruptly they wrote Dong off and forgetting about him all together. It just seems odd that he and Kimmy were so in love, but once he's gone she doesn't even mention him.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

The biggest disappointment of the whole season was that they didn't have Titus make a Dong Sock in the opening scene of the season.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
drat this was a good season.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Hollismason posted:

drat this was a good season.
:hfive:

Couldn't agree more. Though I almost wish this was a weekly half-hour joy and not just a two-afternoon marathon.

Edit: And that loving puppet in episode... 10, I want to say? I about died.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I think if Mike was an intentional plot seed in the first season, then it's one of the best ever.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It's probably just a recency thing, but for some reason "I'm not going to end up like NASA: scared, afraid, standing for 'Never Accomplishing Space Anymore'" is the joke that's sticking in my brain the most

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Fudge that sugar! Fudge it straight to heck, where a demon with a thousand wee-wees fudges it forever!

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 18, 2016

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

The only problem I had with this season was how abruptly they wrote Dong off and forgetting about him all together. It just seems odd that he and Kimmy were so in love, but once he's gone she doesn't even mention him.

I read an interesting speculation on a potential Dong storyline for S3. It's pure speculation, but since it's based on events that happened on the show, I'll spoil it just to be safe. Ellie Kemper is pregnant IRL. And it's heavily implied that Kimmy had unprotected sex with Dong in the back of the police car. So it's possible that S3, depending on the production schedule, will have a story about Kimmy being pregnant with Dong's kid. And hey, there's also a loving gay couple right there that might want a Chinese kid. (Yes, I know Dong isn't Chinese, but the joke on the show is that gay guys have Chinese kids.)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

LadyPictureShow posted:

I was pretty hot and cold on this season. Some of the gags early on seemed a little too 'zany to be zany'. Also a lot of the Jackie plots fell flat with me.

Lillian and Titus are still the high points. 'When Samuel L. Jackson asks what's in my wallet, the answer is ketchup packets.'

I agree with the hit/miss part of some of the gags. Outside of Kimmy and Andrea, Jackie and Titus were 50/50 hit or miss or just plain unfunny like Lillian.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

JT Smiley posted:

It just seems odd that he and Kimmy were so in love, but once he's gone she doesn't even mention him.
Did you actually finish the season? Kimmy stuffing bad feelings down way inside her is a major plot point.

Also what I've learned from this thread so far is that the show is great but every character besides Kimmy may or may not suck and be horribly unfunny. :(

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

There is something about the actresses actually cartwheeling for this long that makes me squee.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lampsacus posted:

There is something about the actresses actually cartwheeling for this long that makes me squee.

They're probably stunt doubles :ssh:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Nah, I'm fairly sure that's how Ellie Kemper walks everywhere. .

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

just plain unfunny like Lillian.
whooooooaaaaaaaa there son

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
season 1 was better

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
Help a clueless and shallow person out, was Lisa Kudrow in makeup to look older or is she lying about her age? Because it is very hard to believe that she is five to seven years older than Jane Krakowski and Tina Fey. (Edit: or maybe she's just not using all the Hollywood tricks to look super young - I feel bad because she's talented and lovely but she looks very different.)

I thought it was a fantastic season. My favorite part was bringing Titus and Mike together and having them be the primary love story, it was impressive how they managed to keep Titus as bizarre and funny without making him too much of a cartoon to be in a relationship. Second favorite part was the payoff reveal that Jacquelyn was dating a guy who owned the Redskins, and her growth over the season as someone who cared about causes and people other than herself.

The only weak spot for me was the whole internet criticism of Titus's one man show. I get what they were doing, but it went on too long and wasn't especially clever.

Helena Handbasket fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 18, 2016

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've been enjoying this season so far (a little over halfway through). But yeah I think Season 1 was better.

The really funny jokes in season 2, and there are still plenty of them, are a little more spaced out. And the "Kimmy misunderstands pop-culture" shtick only remains funny for so long.

Still, Kimmy Schmidt proudly carries the torch of relentlessly happy sitcom left behind by 30 Rock and Parks and Rec so I'm glad to have it around.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

They're probably stunt doubles :ssh:

I'd buy that actually being Kemper, but yeah, I doubt it's really Lisa Kudrow. Just finished the season, and I totally agree that Kudrow is perfect casting. Kimmy is basically a more cartoon-y version of the Buffay sisters, so of course Lisa plays Lori-Ann as a more train-wreckish Phoebe. (And if you think I'm reaching, the tons of Friends references in the show mean it's kind of impossible Fey and co weren't thinking of that)

irlZaphod posted:

whooooooaaaaaaaa there son

Seconding that, Carol Kane is a global treasure and her delivery cracks me up almost as much as Amy Sedaris.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 18, 2016

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
I always appreciate how Tina Fey shows have good roles for the hilarious older actresses who we don't see enough of. Andrea Martin, Carrie Fisher, Elaine Stritch, Mary Steenburgen, Patti LuPone, and Jan Hooks, to name a few. And of course Lisa Kudrow, Carol Kane, Amy Sedaris, and Sheri Foster (Jacquelyn's mom) who I hadn't seen in stuff before but is great. If they got Ellen Green in there I'd pretty much die happy.

"Run, Lillian!" is my favorite running (no pun intended) gag.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
See, I think Sheri Foster gets short shrift because she's the straight woman in most of the Jacqueline family scenes. Krakowski and Gil Birmingham get most of the jokes.

Also, Jennifer Coolidge is my dream 'get' for them in terms of older comedic actresses. And maybe a Lea Thompson.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 18, 2016

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I think if Mike was an intentional plot seed in the first season, then it's one of the best ever.

Heck, he was back in 30 Rock.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

See, I think Sheri Foster gets short shrift because she's the straight woman in most of the Jacqueline family scenes. Krakowski and Gil Birmingham get most of the jokes.

It's true, but her quietly pushing her coffee away after finding out that Jacqueline put the "milk" from the male buffalo in the fridge was gold.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm going to rewatch s1 pretty soon, because s2 made me realize that I probably missed a ton of poo poo, but they expanded both Titus and Lillian's roles pretty significantly right?

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
Lillian has been expanded significantly. Titus is about the same presence, but in season one his storylines were a series of self contained vignettes, while in this season they had a consistent throughline.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I'm surprised BearDinB.com isn't a real thing yet.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Undead Hippo posted:

Lillian has been expanded significantly. Titus is about the same presence, but in season one his storylines were a series of self contained vignettes, while in this season they had a consistent throughline.

Yeah, I wasn't crazy about the expanded Lillian. She's a great actress, but this particular shtick works better in smaller doses for me. I enjoyed Titus a lot more this season though—I'm not even sure why exactly, but he just felt much more well defined. Maybe it is because of the more consistent storyline you mention

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

thrakkorzog posted:

I read an interesting speculation on a potential Dong storyline for S3. It's pure speculation, but since it's based on events that happened on the show, I'll spoil it just to be safe. Ellie Kemper is pregnant IRL. And it's heavily implied that Kimmy had unprotected sex with Dong in the back of the police car. So it's possible that S3, depending on the production schedule, will have a story about Kimmy being pregnant with Dong's kid. And hey, there's also a loving gay couple right there that might want a Chinese kid. (Yes, I know Dong isn't Chinese, but the joke on the show is that gay guys have Chinese kids.)

Uh, excuse me it's clearly impossible for her to be pregnant because they didn't get into the jacuzzi together

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Undead Hippo posted:

That's probably exactly what it was. They pared the supporting cast pretty hard, Jacqueline was a lot less present, Xan had what, one scene, Dong was barely there.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

JakeP posted:

season 1 was better

Season 2 was better

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

theflyingexecutive posted:

Holy gently caress at the pickup truck portrait

I had to pause because I was laughing so long and hard at that. As a straight guy who is commonly mistaken for gay and loves Tilda Swinton, it feels like a joke that was written just for me.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

I had to pause because I was laughing so long and hard at that. As a straight guy who is commonly mistaken for gay and loves Tilda Swinton, it feels like a joke that was written just for me.

I have some news for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

I have some news for you.

No it's okay, Criminal Minded is a real man's man, he spends all his time at the gym with his roommate Lance.

• Locked thread