Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Ferremit posted:

considering that anything other than toe in isnt adjustable on those solid axles (Camber, forget it, your bending diff housings to change THAT, Caster? Hope you like removing axles from leaf packs and jamming in steel wedges!) I'd be pretty surprised if they hosed it up!

Now you mention it, I guess this is true, and I feel like an idiot for paying someone $95 to adjust my toe-in by like a degree. I think the noticeably more wandering steering is just due to the new (old) secondhand tyres and the wear pattern not suiting my truck, but I wanted to be sure cos I'm driving 1100km on Friday. Got a quote for 4 new BFG ATs today but ughhh $430 each (33/10.5R15)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gimpsuitjones posted:

Now you mention it, I guess this is true, and I feel like an idiot for paying someone $95 to adjust my toe-in by like a degree. I think the noticeably more wandering steering is just due to the new (old) secondhand tyres and the wear pattern not suiting my truck, but I wanted to be sure cos I'm driving 1100km on Friday. Got a quote for 4 new BFG ATs today but ughhh $430 each (33/10.5R15)

:stare:

Welp, there goes my plan of buying a 4x4.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

BF Goodrich, large size

Could get 31/10.5 kumhos for like 200 and some each but I want a slightly weird size and I kumhos suck

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, solid axle 4x4s typically only have toe and steering wheel center adjustments unless you get frisky with it. Hopefully adjusting the toe will keep you from coning those tires too fast though.

That price for the BFGs is borderline confiscatory, drat. I would have gone with a more-local supplier or at least a supplier that doesn't have to deal with the same tariffs and such. (I'm assuming BFGs were expensive due to either tariffs or shipping.)

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

All tyres in NZ are inported from somewhere, and therefore expensive. I want 33x10.5R15 and only BFG and I think Toyo make them but I prefer BFGs AT

33x12.5R15 prices Chinese mud tires 270, Kumho KL71 363, KL78 339

It's hard to get prices online for stuff like Cooper or Mickey Thompson but they're $BFG or worse, Maxxis is about the same

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gimpsuitjones posted:

All tyres in NZ are inported from somewhere, and therefore expensive. I want 33x10.5R15 and only BFG and I think Toyo make them but I prefer BFGs AT

33x12.5R15 prices Chinese mud tires 270, Kumho KL71 363, KL78 339

It's hard to get prices online for stuff like Cooper or Mickey Thompson but they're $BFG or worse, Maxxis is about the same

To elaborate, all tyres in NZ are imported from somewhere...by like 3 different companies. If you want motorbike tyres there are....two different companies. The market is too small to have actual competition so we get monopoly instead.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Some Bridgestone and Dunlop tyres are made in NZ but I think they're also quite bad

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The Maxxis AT980 is a drat good tyre- mum n dad are running them on my old nutso hilux and despite how much power that thing shoves out the back end and how tail happy it is they do a drat good job of gripping and not wearing out badly and my mates got em on his TD100 series and absolutely raves about them.

And gently caress ME those BFG AT prices are insane- I only paid $375ea for 285/75R16 Toyo Muds! I absolutely love my toyo muds (rate them way over the BFG muds I used to run) and my mates got their AT II's on his HDJ80 and loves em on that, got about 10K kms on them with no real noticeable wear.

11L/100 aint bad at all... makes my 13.7 seem pretty bad (until you realise my 100 series probably weighs at least two tonnes more than yours, and probably makes 4x the horsepower....)

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

~1900kg kerb weight!! 300kg less than the new Hilux hah

I think Maxxis 980 cost about the same as the BFGs here if not a little more e: $11 difference

Did you have the old BFG muds or the KM2s? I had the KM2s on my Surf and they were awesome, lasted well too.. I get 4-5 years out of a set of 4 without rotating them so 2200 bucks for 5 every that often isn't so bad I guess

also HFS at toyo prices http://www.toyo.co.nz/tyre/catsearch/car-tyres/31/10-50/15

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jun 22, 2016

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Found an online place selling KM2s for 468 with free fitting nationwide, and a 15% off code... I might not get much cheaper than that.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

KM2's. They werent a BAD tyre, its just that the toyos are a BETTER tyre.

Tho normally the toyos in 285/75R16 are north of $400 a pop.

And Holy Shitsnacks at those prices for the toyos! You'd nearly be better off getting a set from australia when they have their "5 for 4" deals going and then slowboating them over!

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah I'm semi-set on the BFGs, either KO2 or KM2, mostly because they seem to be the only ones available in 33x10.5R15 - I don't want to go wider than 10.5" cos I'd need to get flares and new rims and poo poo, and also 33x12.5s would be a bit much for my poor little 3B I think, even once I subject it to FORCED INDUCTION

I wonder what sea freight from Aussie would cost, there's an online shop there with the 33x10.5R15 AT KO's for $312AU each, that's like a hundred and fifty bucks less than here

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 22, 2016

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004
Don't forget if you buy from AU you may struggle to claim AU GST back, then you'll possibly have to pay GST again to get them into the country. Also any tariffs. Might get expensive fast.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
No duty on tyres, just GST. AU$1248 ($312x4) = NZD$1356 on top of which Customs will charge you $203 GST.

Edit: http://www.whatsmyduty.org.nz is helpful.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah gst would kill the idea

In other news I went to change my power steering idler puller bearing and after pressing it out(aka hitting it with a BFH and a socket repeatedly) found that repco sold me the wrong size bearing, so the old one went back in

My engine seems in remarkably good condition for coming up on (or over, depending on how much it's been wound back) 300k km, blows zero smoke and doesn't burn/lose any noticeable amount of engine oil

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Drove 650km today, truck hummed along merrily. 10.8L/100km with the new alloys and worn out ATs, better.

And I GOT A BOX

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

F_ _ _ _ _ I _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _!!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Judging by the packaging you're getting some sweet new tribal tatt stickers! That's got to add at least 40hp

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Well this bad boy oughtta give me at least 30% more HP

So, about 32 at the wheels

I need a wastegate actuator. and a shitton of other parts.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

So it turns out that Turbo is actually not appropriate for my engine and I wasted 300 bucks on it. Anyone know where the best place to sell a Turbo that is possibly a T28 is??? It seems like identifying turbochargers is an extremely arcane art and they never have simple numbers on them saying what the gently caress they are and there are millions of very similar different ones.

I bought a more suitable (hopefully) T25 for $120 also.

And drove another 1500km in the cruiser happily

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Whats a 3B? 3.4L?

I'd say the genuine toyota CT12 off a 2.4TD or 3.0TD surf would be perfectly sized for it (The next toyota turbo up is a CT26 which they bolt to the 4.0 and 4.2 motors, so its probably a tad big to spool properly. And its as big as your loving head) and you guys have so many of them over there that there should be a few of em kicking around by now.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

3B is 3.4 yeah. Apparently (according to some people on the internet and my local turbo shop) the CT12B off a 1KZ is a bit too small, and a uhhhh .43 A/R T25 is perfect, but I accidentally bought a .60 A/R T25 instead by not looking at pictures

The 13BT came with a CT26 but it's regarded as not a very good pairing

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Flipped the T28 for what I paid and got some more parts for my turbo project. T25, exhaust manifold flange, downward facing oil filter housing off another 3b (mine has the upward facing one and the filter sits where the turbo will), oil pan from a 3b to get a turbo oil return line bung welded into (keeping my stock one just in case)

T25 with .48 compressor A/R and .49 turbine A/R (I think)

Some slight damage to the compressor vanes by the looks of it? Look ok to you guys??

Exhaust manifold flange to build a turbo manifold

Need to:
-get compression test to make sure I'm not wasting my time
-build manifold
-get oil lines for turbo
-get bung welded into spare oil pan for oil return
-get air intake piping
-get a downpipe
-get a pyro and boost gauge
-something to hook the wastegate up to the compressor, just a bit of pressure rated hose?
-get exhaust manifold gasket
-turbo gaskets?
-gasket for oil filter mount
-delete clutch booster and fit non-boosted master cylinder
-move p/steering reservoir to sidewall of engine bay
-check/adjust valve clearances

I also get the feeling that pulling the old manifold might be a real oval office of a job

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Had a problem with my intake hosing.

Probably not ideal for my engine to be sucking in huge amounts of unfiltered air, so I fixed it. Now it sounds epic sucking through the snorkel again. Hopefully it didn't ingest too much unfiltered poo poo. Not a great fix cos I'm a retard and bought 2" silicon and pipe off the Internet and probably would've been better off with 2 1/4 or something to match the existing crossover pipe. Whatever

Also finally tackled my extremely stubborn fuel filter, I'd looked at it before and it refused to move so I just left it, figuring it'd be fine. Got it off and a new one on after some effort. Seems to run a little nicer now. Maybe.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That intake is good for 20hp at least.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Probably -20hp cos it's smaller than the rest of the intake piping... was hoping to be be to reuse bits when I install the turbo.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No but you see there's no ribbing so you'll get smoother laminar flow and

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The bottleneck might create a venturi effect of sorts :v:

Also imagine the disappointment in taking off that housing and finding a thermostat instead of a BJ.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Line up your god damned clamps son.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

cursedshitbox posted:

Line up your god damned clamps son.

Oh good, it's not just me

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Ok fine I rotated my clamps

my rough starting when cold has come back. It went away last time I changed the oil and adjusted up the idle but now it's back and worse than ever. Seems to miss on one cylinder when cold unless I give it some revs for a couple of seconds on startup. Just changed the oil and filter again, using Castrol GTX 15-40 diesel this time, didn't use diesel specific oil last time. Hopefully it's better tomorrow morning with fresh oil..

PO (a friend) changed the glow plugs not too long before I got it but I guess I'm going to have to change them when I get some spare cash and see if that helps too, otherwise I'm flat out of ideas - unless it's something like the leaky injector pump letting air in and needing a bit of help to get going

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gimpsuitjones posted:

Ok fine I rotated my clamps

my rough starting when cold has come back. It went away last time I changed the oil and adjusted up the idle but now it's back and worse than ever. Seems to miss on one cylinder when cold unless I give it some revs for a couple of seconds on startup. Just changed the oil and filter again, using Castrol GTX 15-40 diesel this time, didn't use diesel specific oil last time. Hopefully it's better tomorrow morning with fresh oil..

PO (a friend) changed the glow plugs not too long before I got it but I guess I'm going to have to change them when I get some spare cash and see if that helps too, otherwise I'm flat out of ideas - unless it's something like the leaky injector pump letting air in and needing a bit of help to get going

I've seen a busted fuel filter plunger make this happen too.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I've seen a busted fuel filter plunger make this happen too.

That's a fuckin good tip since mine seems non-functional.......

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Yep- busted fuel primer pump killed my old mans hilux dead one morning- let in a tonne of air and she refused to start.

Tho generally a busted primer pump will make it be a bitch to start full stop as the whole pump aerates the fuel, not just a single cylinder. Glowplugs on a non direct injection diesel will make it flat out refuse to fire on a cylinder until you do enough compression cycles to get it up to temp.

Glow plugs arent very expensive and you've only got 4 of them!

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

It has been a bitch to start since I changed the fuel filter..... need to bleed the system somehow?? gently caress it.............. hopefully I don't need to rebuild my injector pump to stop it leaking & letting air in, because I can't afford that

really any expenditure is off the cards in the next few weeks cos I'm *this close* to buying a house

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gimpsuitjones posted:

really any expenditure is off the cards in the next few weeks cos I'm *this close* to buying a house

You loving gently caress.

Wait you're in the south island nm.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

It's got a single and a double garage! And a double carport.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

In light of the massive burnout I did in the middle of an intersection the other day, the ridiculous amount of snow forecast, and the fact that I'm driving 900km to move back home on the weekend, I figured I should invest in some new tyres despite my "no expenditure' situation, and dropped 8 hundo on 4 cheap Bridgestone 604V all-terrains, 10R15, plus had an old one that I had kicking around fitted to my spare. Noticed one tyre was a bit small.... muppets had put on 3x 10R15 and 1x 9R15, so I had to go back and get it swapped. Also sourced a used fuel filter primer for 30 bucks so hopefully when that shows up I can get the starting issue resolved. Tried bleeding the lines today but the current one definitely doesn't pump

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Hahahaha Yep, it's an old 70 series. Desert duellers are almost an OEM fitment for a 70 built before 1998 now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

They've made a massive difference to the handling, all the slop in the steering is gone now compared to the old Kumho muds and the worn out duelers. Have been good in a bit of snow and mud so far

• Locked thread