Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
we're not even in the actual trial yet and the prosecution looks hella bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

its been twenty years and marcia clark still just doesn't get it

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
I don't remember any of this poo poo. This must have been crazy to witness live in the 90's

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

My takeaway at this point

OJ is the hero African-American Los Angeles needed

But not the one they deserved

Sir Plus
Jan 16, 2008

Ain't easy looking this eggstraordinary.

oatgan posted:

its been twenty years and marcia clark still just doesn't get it

i really don't know if she deserves more respect for believing she really could make the trial not about race or be judged for her naivety in assuming it could ever be anything but

maybe the answer is somewhere in the middle~~~~~~

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

fsif posted:

By the way OJ is still on the Bills Wall of Fame.

Well he didn't kill anyone while he was on the team...as far as we know.

I felt really sorry for oj during the bronco chase, he obviously needed help and the lapd doesn't provide that kind of help.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

fsif posted:

By the way OJ is still on the Bills Wall of Fame.

There's a weird dissonance I have with watching this as a Bills fan because he was the best thing to ever happen to them. They ran him completely into the ground and then traded them to SF for 5 picks one of which would become Jim Kelly.

He should always be on their Wall of Fame because I legitimately believe OJ was a pretty good person all of his time there. It took Hollywood to coax out his demons.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

effectual posted:

Well he didn't kill anyone while he was on the team...as far as we know.

I felt really sorry for oj during the bronco chase, he obviously needed help and the lapd doesn't provide that kind of help.

To be fari, what more could they have done? They backed off severely and clearly against standard policy. They talked him down and out of suicide. There is a ton to criticize the LAPD for but I feel the resolution and handling of the chase isn't one of them.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

swickles posted:

To be fari, what more could they have done? They backed off severely and clearly against standard policy. They talked him down and out of suicide. There is a ton to criticize the LAPD for but I feel the resolution and handling of the chase isn't one of them.

Yeah honestly that's the one time the lapd didn't screw up, but he still needed to be in a padded room, not jail.

Also maybe juries should be paid a livable wage?

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 16, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I was 11 years old when this happened, on summer vacation with my family in Florida at my grandparents' house.

I don't think I went to sleep until 3 or 4 AM when it happened because I couldn't peel myself away from the TV. None of us could. It was surreal; like a weird dream of some kind. I was switching between CNN and network news listening to all the talking heads and ex cops and lawyers giving their take on what could happen.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

pasaluki posted:

There's a weird dissonance I have with watching this as a Bills fan because he was the best thing to ever happen to them. They ran him completely into the ground and then traded them to SF for 5 picks one of which would become Jim Kelly.

He should always be on their Wall of Fame because I legitimately believe OJ was a pretty good person all of his time there. It took Hollywood to coax out his demons.

You watched episode 1 of this Doc and came away thinking that? Really?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah the Bills should really, really give OJ the WWE Benoit treatment.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I actually want OJ's brain examined when he dies. Wonder if there's a chance of that ever happening.

Going back to watch the whole thing from the start. This whole documentary is incredible.

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 16, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

fsif posted:

I still have the official WWE Chris Benoit documentary and box-set DVD and wonder how much it will one day be worth

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

That's if pro wrestling will still be around in a mainstream sense in 30-50 years.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Pro wrestling will probably outlast football.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Gonz posted:

I was 11 years old when this happened, on summer vacation with my family in Florida at my grandparents' house.

I don't think I went to sleep until 3 or 4 AM when it happened because I couldn't peel myself away from the TV. None of us could. It was surreal; like a weird dream of some kind. I was switching between CNN and network news listening to all the talking heads and ex cops and lawyers giving their take on what could happen.

I was 23, living at home in a small Iowa town and working as a lifeguard at a city pool. I came home from work, turned on the TV, and the chase was on every broadcast and news channel. I watched it until they arrested him. Watching the NBA Finals game that night was a bizarre experience.

The next day my folks and I drove to Des Moines. We did a little shopping and saw Speed. That was surreal as hell after what we saw not 24 hours earlier. When the news helicopters were shown on screen I busted out laughing.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Finished it. Fantastic.

I like to imagine OJ's time in Miami onwards as OJ letting the mask slip off and showing his real self. He just didn't seem to give a poo poo anymore about keeping up the facade.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Who knew that 30 for 30 would be such a great Ewing Theory candidate?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Scionix posted:

I'm about a 3rd of the way through the 2nd episode and this is going to be an unpopular opinion but I find it kind of weird that everyone in the documentary is making GBS threads on him for not being enough of an activist. I dunno maybe it was different back then I was too young to remember this poo poo as it happened but it's weird how nowadays everyone wants to stop criticizing eccentric or otherwise NFL players for not being role models but we're pooping on OJ for being silent on race

e: popular opinion: Nicole is a fox

e2: holy poo poo the guy that justifies the rodney king beating because they couldn't chokehold him lmao

The argument is that black athletes before him risked their careers and sometimes their lives to give OJ the opportunities he had and it hurt to see him discard his blackness so casually.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

nachos posted:

The argument is that black athletes before him risked their careers and sometimes their lives to give OJ the opportunities he had and it hurt to see him discard his blackness so casually.

Its also that OJ didn't view himself as black, he wanted to be white.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Part 5 is just absolutely incredible. Jesus.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

nachos posted:

It's worth noting that if he had set himself up as a civil rights icon and then murdered his wife, the sum would have been a net negative to the cause. I wonder if there was a part of him who knew he was weak, that in the long term he was going to do more harm than good for any cause he chose to associate with.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

General Dog posted:

It's worth noting that if he had set himself up as a civil rights icon and then murdered his wife, the sum would have been a net negative to the cause. I wonder if there was a part of him who knew he was weak, that in the long term he was going to do more harm than good for any cause he chose to associate with.

That's rather selfless for an abusive narcissistic multiple murderer

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

mcmagic posted:

You watched episode 1 of this Doc and came away thinking that? Really?

Eh what the hell I liked that he gave credit to his Oline after he hit 2k didn't have to do that... especially back then. I maintain most of his bad poo poo was after he played for them.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

pasaluki posted:

Eh what the hell I liked that he gave credit to his Oline after he hit 2k didn't have to do that... especially back then. I maintain most of his bad poo poo was after he played for them.

The Electric Company is seriously still one of the better nicknames of any group of players in professional sports.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

fsif posted:

Benoit shouldn't have gotten the Benoit treatment. History is history, let people contextualize it how they want.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Also I had no idea Nicole hosed Marcus Allen :psyduck:

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

General Dog posted:

Also I had no idea Nicole hosed Marcus Allen :psyduck:

Me neither I couldn't even believe it but when you take into account Nicole's brokenness it makes sense in a perverse way. Think about the upfrontness of how OJ cheated on her and it makes sense that Nicole would spit in his face by loving one of his peers who was younger.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

pasaluki posted:

Me neither I couldn't even believe it but when you take into account Nicole's brokenness it makes sense in a perverse way. Think about the upfrontness of how OJ cheated on her and it makes sense that Nicole would spit in his face by loving one of his peers who was younger.

And bigger.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

swickles posted:

And bigger.

Definitely!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

swickles posted:

And bigger.

Driftwood

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Coming out of this, I feel real sympathetic to Fred Goldman. Dude had a full meltdown over Cochran's closing argument and I really can't blame him. The prosecution completely dropped the ball on the easiest case ever given.

e: Fuhrman talking a total load of bullshit was also pretty spectacular. He and OJ are one in the same

CortezFantastic fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 17, 2016

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Just out of curiosity, has there been a lot of "OJ wasn't bad, it was just X" recently? I've been hearing it from a lot of friends and people on Facebook/the Internet. I remember even last year if you brought up OJ it was like a curse word at church.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

General Dog posted:

Benoit shouldn't have gotten the Benoit treatment. History is history, let people contextualize it how they want.

Okay then the Hogan treatment? What's the correct parallel here?

I don't think Simpson should be scrubbed from the record books or anything like that, but he shouldn't really be celebrated in any way. The Bills store isn't sell throwback OJ jerseys; the stadium shouldn't display his name as one of the great Bills.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

fsif posted:

I don't think Simpson should be scrubbed from the record books or anything like that, but he shouldn't really be celebrated in any way. The Bills store isn't sell throwback OJ jerseys; the stadium shouldn't display his name as one of the great Bills.

I think it's fine to separate the player from the man, it's okay to keep good memories of bad people.

Also, say what you will about OJ, but "if this jury convicts me, maybe I did do it" is a great line."

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

fsif posted:

I agree with the jerseys but disagree on the wall. The problem with washing away ugly history is that we cease to learn the lessons from it. O.J.'s name up there is a reminder of who he USED to be. The tragedy of O.J. was that he had to rise to incredible heights and plummeted to even greater lows. O.J. himself isn't sympathetic, but his fall into darkness is and is in a way important. Without his name on the wall I feel like part of the story is missing. I view it as his epitaph more than something that glorifies him.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
just curious because I didn't really understand how the docu portrayed it:

so was the Furhnam cop guy playing an act for the screenwriter? I didn't really understand what was going on. She went to the LAPD to get information for a movie script she was writing, she talks to this guy because(?), and he starts throwing friend of the family around for no reason? Or was she like asking him to do bits?

I'm not saying he's not a racist I'm just trying to understand why if he's a (self-admitted) racist he's shouting friend of the family at the movie lady for what seems to be no reason?

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

It's quite amazing how ignorant OJ was that he thought things would go back to normal after the biggest trial in American history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

pasaluki posted:

I agree with the jerseys but disagree on the wall. The problem with washing away ugly history is that we cease to learn the lessons from it. O.J.'s name up there is a reminder of who he USED to be. The tragedy of O.J. was that he had to rise to incredible heights and plummeted to even greater lows. O.J. himself isn't sympathetic, but his fall into darkness is and is in a way important. Without his name on the wall I feel like part of the story is missing. I view it as his epitaph more than something that glorifies him.

I don't know, that sounds kind of like a post hoc analysis to me. His name was put up there explicitly because of his achievements and we don't look up at Thurman Thomas's name to reflect upon his personal foibles or whatever.

Hardly anyone—including Bills fans—would associate the name “OJ Simpson” with the player that rushed for 2000 yards before they would with the man in the white Bronco. It sort of implicitly states that his on-field contributions were more important than his off-the-field actions. It's just really tasteless.

• Locked thread