Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

i am the bird posted:

It's not. Bottom six dudes are dime a dozen in this league and Detroit has young grinders pushing for roster spots. Big money contracts can be killers but middle of the road dudes signing $4 million/forever are also major cap problems. They're easily replaced internally, but you can basically never get rid of them unless through a buyout. They also set a dumb precedent that any 'character' dudes on the team are suddenly worth that kind of money. Detroit's riddled with these contracts.

The biggest problems with this deal are if Helm slows down as he gets older (likely) and the other stupid deals that accompany it. However, he's a good possession player who is responsible in his own zone, which is more than I can say for Abdelkader, Kronwall, and Ericsson. I wish he were making somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.5-3 instead, but I'm not going to complain about signing a good player for a drat change and if I don't try to consider this a small victory in Ken Holland somehow leaning toward sanity, I'm going to kill myself

e: If this loving circus is going to continue, at least let my jersey stay relevant :(

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I wasn't saying those bottom six types are WORTH $3.5M-$4M a year, they almost never are. It's just that's what they very often get when they hit the open market. And yes Detroit is really crippling itself handing out those types of contracts

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

T-Bone posted:

Radulov is an rear end in a top hat but /shrug he could still be productive.

Very interested to see how Therrien uses him

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Dandy Kaiser posted:

The biggest problems with this deal are if Helm slows down as he gets older (likely) and the other stupid deals that accompany it. However, he's a good possession player who is responsible in his own zone, which is more than I can say for Abdelkader, Kronwall, and Ericsson. I wish he were making somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.75-3 instead, but I'm not going to complain about signing a good player for a drat change and if I don't try to consider this a small victory in Ken Holland somehow leaning toward sanity, I'm going to kill myself

Oh, sure. That's the only way I'm not losing my mind. I actually like Helm. But then you figure that Detroit is spending around $17 million on two bottom six forwards and two bottom pairing defense pairing and, well, uh.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

when I saw "Staal" I was momentarily excited

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i am the bird posted:

Oh, sure. That's the only way I'm not losing my mind. I actually like Helm. But then you figure that Detroit is spending around $17 million on two bottom six forwards and two bottom pairing defense pairing and, well, uh.

I'm just excited he didn't sign him past 35.

it's learning

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

:laffo:

https://twitter.com/strombone1/status/748890818379939840

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

The Dirty Burger posted:

I'm a little disappointed the Devils didn't go after him. There's a big hole at wing on the 2nd line and they're one of the few teams where the 7m cap hit or whatever wouldn't matter.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/748890999288500224

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

that's a pretty big loss for the Isles

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Okposo, Nielsen out and Ladd in? lol

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

So the Isles are going to lose Nielsen and Okposo, and maybe get Ladd? And are also keeping Fred Flintstone?

Seems like the Isles will be bad again and all is right in the world.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Dirty Burger posted:

I'm sure it'll work out exactly as well as Semin did.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Montreal signed Semin last July and he was gone by December and they had so much fun they're going to try it again? :psyduck:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

So uh, you're getting rid of Subban possibly because of character issues and then sign Radulov?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Radulov is great but that makes zero sense for that team.

Maybe they just miss Kovalev.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Levitate posted:

that's a pretty big loss for the Isles

Huge loss, he's easily one of their 3 most important players, and most important forward after Tavares.

Please come to Detroit. You won't help because they're bad and you'll probably make too much money, but then I can make fun of my Islanders fan friends forever and ever

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Campbell signs for around $2m one year contract with Chicago per LeBrun.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The Dirty Burger posted:

Okposo, Nielsen out and Ladd in? lol

I think Ladd over Okposo is at least a lateral move, if not an upgrade. They'd lose a bit in scoring, but playing on JT's wing, who knows. And what they lose in scoring, they'll gain in having someone who doesn't turn the puck over and has no idea where he is on the ice half the time. Unless of course I'm severely over-estimating what Ladd provides

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

E: nm

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MononcQc posted:

So uh, you're getting rid of Subban possibly because of character issues and then sign Radulov?

Well when the "character issues" are "he's black", it makes sense.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

5 games in he'll be in the pressbox and then gone by Christmas. Calling it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

onemillionzombies posted:

Campbell signs for around $2m one year contract with Chicago per LeBrun.

Well that's a super bullshit sweetheart rear end deal

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Sounds like Buffalo is potentially the landing spot for Okposo

And in Jimmy Vesey news:

https://twitter.com/BuffNewsVogl/status/748888801808875521

edit: btw, there was rampant speculation that Vesey and his agent were both in town for the draft, so they've probably already met. I think he signs

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah but "he's black" is the same as "he's Russian" in the NHL.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

"He's Russian" is only a couple steps below "he's black" in hockey though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

whatis posted:

Sounds like Buffalo is potentially the landing spot for Okposo

And in Jimmy Vesey news:

https://twitter.com/BuffNewsVogl/status/748888801808875521

edit: btw, there was rampant speculation that Vesey and his agent were both in town for the draft, so they've probably already met. I think he signs

They've still got another couple months to work it out, too.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Vesey is going to be a Bruin, I believe.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Apparently BMac thinks the Isles are giving Ladd a 7 year contract. Holy hell.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

LmaoTheKid posted:

:vince: Please disregard everything I just said

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

LmaoTheKid posted:

yeah that's gonna be a pretty iffy contract...

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
garth snow wants to show islanders fans they're big players in this league by spending money in the dumbest way possible

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Detroit re-signs Marchenko, 2 years at $1.45m per. Not bad at all.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Wings apparently offered Radulov 1 year/$5M.

So either Montreal's going to sign a player with "character issues" after dumping player with "character issues", or Detroit's going to sign an expensive Russian to replace the expensive Russian that just left.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 1, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CBJSprague24 posted:

Wings apparently offered Radulov 1 year/$5M.

So either Montreal's going to sign a player with "character issues" after dumping player with "character issues", or Detroit's going to sign an expensive Russian to replace the expensive Russian that just left.

if the Wings get Radulov for 1x5 that's pretty amazing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Levitate posted:

yeah that's gonna be a pretty iffy contract...

Iffy in the sense that it's hard to predict exactly which offseason he'll be bought out, you mean?

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
montreal actually signed radulov ahahhaha I thought it was a joke

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i am the bird posted:

Detroit re-signs Marchenko, 2 years at $1.45m per. Not bad at all.

Less than I thought they'd give him, very happy with this. I'd like to see them bring Sproul back, if that's the kind deal they can get Marchenko on, then Sproul could potentially be had for a two-way deal under a million. Now get rid of the rest of those chucklefucks and let's try to re-build this shitpile of a defense.

e: Radulov for 1/5, meh whatever fine who cares

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JollyPubJerk posted:

montreal actually signed radulov ahahhaha I thought it was a joke

Is there actually confirmation of this other than Yost and people referring back to Yost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Eric the Mauve posted:

Iffy in the sense that it's hard to predict exactly which offseason he'll be bought out, you mean?

depends on the structure of the contract I guess

• Locked thread