Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I got to the altar or whatever on the first planet and now it's asking for core stuff and I dug into the ground with my slow beam and I kept digging, then I died.

I'm kinda bored with this game. I feel like Terraria had permanence since you were setting up a base on one planet. Since you're going all over the place in Starbound, there's no real attachment to any spot. Of course, you need to also set up crafting tables and junk, so it's a pain to do that and also know you're leaving at some point.

Right? No? Maybe I'm missing something? Could be I'm just burned out on these crafting games after going through Terraria and Minecraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah I figured they'd get around to fixing the lag/stuttering in singleplayer but uhhhhhh I guess not

I assumed that was happening because it wasnt on my SSD.

When I get in the hoverbike huge chunks of planets dont load until its too late.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, I feel like it wasn't this bad during the last release a while back. I never had any outright problems with the hoverbike's speed.

JazzFlight posted:

I got to the altar or whatever on the first planet and now it's asking for core stuff and I dug into the ground with my slow beam and I kept digging, then I died.

I'm kinda bored with this game. I feel like Terraria had permanence since you were setting up a base on one planet. Since you're going all over the place in Starbound, there's no real attachment to any spot. Of course, you need to also set up crafting tables and junk, so it's a pain to do that and also know you're leaving at some point.

Right? No? Maybe I'm missing something? Could be I'm just burned out on these crafting games after going through Terraria and Minecraft.

The starting planet always has a mine shaft that gets you a decent ways towards the core with a bunch of boxes in it that can be looted for healing items, ore, money, and sometimes gear. You might still need to do some digging, but you might not. Definitely not as much as you'd need to do straight from the surface.

Setting up a solid base in Starbound isn't an awful idea, since you can set up teleporter networks and bookmarks so you'll always be able to get back to it from your ship no matter where it's parked. It's also a good idea for expanded storage (until you start really getting into ship upgrades) and setting up stuff like farms and colonies.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is this '1.0' in the way Spacebase DF9 reaches 1.0, or is it actually finished?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Lone Badger posted:

Is this '1.0' in the way Spacebase DF9 reaches 1.0, or is it actually finished?

Mighty Starbase DF-9

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They sure implement the story in the most Tiy way possible.

Unskippable cutscenes in a sandbox video game lmao

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
So I made my way through to the point where I have to find Floran stuff and scan it for the quest... but there are no Floran outposts on either of the two forest worlds in my starting system. Bug?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Babe Magnet posted:

They sure implement the story in the most Tiy way possible.

Unskippable cutscenes in a sandbox video game lmao

I was watching people play on Twitch and one of them died of hunger in the middle of an unskippable cutscene

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
1.0? Did they finally remove hunger and make progression suck less?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

So I made my way through to the point where I have to find Floran stuff and scan it for the quest... but there are no Floran outposts on either of the two forest worlds in my starting system. Bug?

I scanned every item in my system's Floran base and I'm still only 70% done. It is a bad quest.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Schwack posted:

I scanned every item in my system's Floran base and I'm still only 70% done. It is a bad quest.

You can talk to the villagers and some will give completion rate as well.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Babe Magnet posted:

The starting planet always has a mine shaft that gets you a decent ways towards the core with a bunch of boxes in it that can be looted for healing items, ore, money, and sometimes gear. You might still need to do some digging, but you might not. Definitely not as much as you'd need to do straight from the surface.
I found all 20 core fragments just from crates in the mine shaft. I didn't need to do any digging at all on the starting planet.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

does starbound have beekeeping yet

Yea. Frackin Universe mod. The Greg tech of Starbound.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Schwack posted:

I assumed that was happening because it wasnt on my SSD.

When I get in the hoverbike huge chunks of planets dont load until its too late.

If you run the game on a dedicated server on another computer it doesn't have that issue at all.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Hunter Noventa posted:

I did see a mod to re-enable hunger on casual if you're into that sort of thing at least.

Do you have a link for this?

And so far I'm taking it slow and just looking for things to build a house with but I've had fun with finding a lot of random structures on my starter planet.

Also I figured out if you're in a cave just below the surface, and it's daytime and you don't want to waste a torch just blow a hole in the background and the light streams straight in. It probably won't work deeper in but it's effective for surface level spelunking.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Internet Friend posted:

I was watching people play on Twitch and one of them died of hunger in the middle of an unskippable cutscene

Oh god that is a dumb thing. But I'm thinking of going back to it? As long as I can set up a series of teleporters in the shape of large penises fun stuff to gently caress around with, then I'll be happy.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
So does the game have mouse acceleration or is it just extremely choppy?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Magmarashi posted:

You can talk to the villagers and some will give completion rate as well.

The settlement I had was only one friendly Floran. The rest were hostile.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Friend posted:

:cripes: It's almost like the Devs tested it with cheat codes or something :v:

I need to give this another fair shake admittedly, but I am so waiting for launch emergency hotfix jitters and launch status mods to stabilize.

Really hoping for unfucked some farming mods. So I can plant trees and crops, and have them grow all on their own while I'm out exploring space in a fun for videogames time frame. In this game about space exploration. Instead of ensuring they stay regularly watered by not star bounding in starbound, and likely starving before my bananas finish growing in the next 70 minutes (last ETA on the wiki) because by god, my space monkey is going to eat freshly grown Bananas or die trying.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 23, 2016

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Played right up until the game told me to visit floran hunting grounds and it's fair to say the game is ok. Haven't had any technical issues except for that weird pausing that enemies sometimes do, as if they were lagging. Lots of poo poo to steal. Too much actually, my ship has no room for more boxes full of decorative stuff. Combat is marginally better, still hate that ropes are disposable and wish they worked like in Terraria. I think the biggest problem is that the lack of loot with fancy effects makes the underground exploration EXTREMELY BORING (at least for now).

I guess it's a decent result after the trainwreck that was the game's development.

Also you need to be immensely retarded to die of hunger during a cutscene. You'd have to ignore the constant, loud beeping that warns you about hunger for like fifteen minutes straight.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
on the other side of that coin, why would you not turn off hunger for the unskippable cutscenes

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Schwack posted:

The settlement I had was only one friendly Floran. The rest were hostile.

This was my problem too, it was less a settlement and more a dungeon lol

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BillmasterCozb posted:

on the other side of that coin, why would you not turn off hunger for the unskippable cutscenes

"Immersion" :buddy:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

BillmasterCozb posted:

Considering the warnings leading up to hunger-induced death, and not a single cutscene in the game is so long that starvation should be a worry, it's to punish you for being a loving idiot.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
did i accidentally fall into another universe? wasnt this game a total piece of poo poo like a month ago?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's kind of 'whatever' now

a state it probably should have been in literal years ago

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Well, it seems the last year of development have pushed this game from "playably laggy" to "unplayably laggy" on my machine.

That's the biggest crap shoot of Early Access, I guess. Optimization is always the last thing on the list, so...you have to take it on faith that it will happen at all. Looks like I lost the bet this time.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Rocketlex posted:

Well, it seems the last year of development have pushed this game from "playably laggy" to "unplayably laggy" on my machine.

That's the biggest crap shoot of Early Access, I guess. Optimization is always the last thing on the list, so...you have to take it on faith that it will happen at all. Looks like I lost the bet this time.

Well. 1.0 is out and optimization was never even really looked at I think.

It's funny because I used to be able to play starbound with 40 fps on my Intel atom tablet that had a z3745 cpu. Now it won't even load it.

It plays Terraria with 70fps though.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Is sand mining back yet?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Jackard posted:

Well, when did you post your gem people? Wiki says this came out Dec 7th '15.

Version History lists the initial upload date as September 5th, 2014. I'm pretty sure it's just a product of convergent evolution, though.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
What's the best way to make pixels? I'm saving for the first ship upgrade, but my farm products sell for so little, and ore conversion seems less profitable than i remember.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

MoreLikeTen posted:

What's the best way to make pixels? I'm saving for the first ship upgrade, but my farm products sell for so little, and ore conversion seems less profitable than i remember.

Just hire crew members. Upgrades are free once you are at current max.

I have a Floren mechanic and a Floren janitor. I can't wait to get veggies.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Those of you that are having trouble looking for core fragments, keep traveling along the surface until you encounter an open mine. There should be some sort of survivor outside who will specifically say that there's tons of core fragments inside. He's right, I found all the core fragments I needed in there, and since there's lots of little tents and campfires inside the mine, it's not as dark or dangerous as it seems and regen is readily available.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
Saw 1.0 came out and re-downloaded the game to see if it would actually work this time since it didn't about a year or so ago when I last tried. Turns out it does work now and the game has changed drastically since early 2014 or so when I probably last played it. Overall, I don't mind the inclusion of a whole story part of the game since something like it was basically necessary to tie everything in from the get-go, I was mostly just annoyed that the game stuck me on a random planet and seems to be forcing me to do quests (no matter how trivial) there before I can break loose and start exploring the galaxy.

It seems trite, but one of the main things about the game that always appealed to me was that you basically just woke up in your stolen/borrowed/commandeered ship one day and once you had enough fuel could hit up any other planet you wanted to, regardless of the consequences. Anyways, I'll at least play through the first part of the game, as it perhaps picks up that old vibe. Also, the new (at least to me) UI seems kinda weird and clunky, but I hope it all comes together after some time.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I hated on previous versions of the game but I'm at least going to give it a chance. If it so much as gives me a sense of minor annoyance though I'm going to blow it way out of proportion and come here to bitch.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Game's still boring.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
What the hell is with the UI now? This game is a tedious mess.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Not even 24 hours and the thread has turned.

Game is... bad. Still.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

All of the hotkey references in the menus and dialogue are hardcoded to the defaults :cripes:

I don't use default keys, so every time they reference a key, it's wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I really don't understand peoples' hate for this. Minecraft is way more boring in my opinion.