Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

I gave my dad a Hugo Boss tie one time and he said "Oh great now I can pretend to be a Nazi :rolleyes: "

it's difficult

you should buy him the rest of the uniform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Get men some comfy underwear because most men probably wear garbage for underwear. MeUndies and ExOfficio are bomb. Who doesn't want a nice secure package that makes their rear end look great?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Get him a different kind of libertarian freedom fighter camping hammock than the one he almost certainly already has. Also sign him up for hammock forums because the best gift is the gift of laughter.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SaltLick posted:

Get men some comfy underwear because most men probably wear garbage for underwear. MeUndies and ExOfficio are bomb. Who doesn't want a nice secure package that makes their rear end look great?

Doesn't that seem kind of suggestive of a thing to give to every man I know

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
What about a high-ranked video game ?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Actually the reason gifts "for men" are bad is because most men have actual hobbies and interests besides being a man. you should buy your man something that actually matches his interests

if he has no hobbies then sever because probably his hobbies are something horrible or unspeakable

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Pick posted:

clip of ammo?

Nah, the idea is to project the image of being someone who has other people to do their murders for them.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Dzhay posted:

Nah, the idea is to project the image of being someone who has other people to do their murders for them.
Give him a fake coupon, like those sex coupon things, but instead it's for one murder that you'll do for him

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
men have weeners but I learned that some men also dont have weeners they have poosays but they are also men too :confused:

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Mange Mite posted:

Actually the reason gifts "for men" are bad is because most men have actual hobbies and interests besides being a man. you should buy your man something that actually matches his interests

+1

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mange Mite posted:

if he has no hobbies then sever because probably his hobbies are something horrible or unspeakable

A lot of guys don't really have interests aside from, like, Hulu and video games

Although if you read the thread, you would see, I seek a gift for my father, who can buy anything he actually needs but lives frugally and spends almost all of his spare time reading about transistors and complaining that people don't realize that "oxyclean" is just repackaging of known cleaning techniques

I did recently get him a vintage Yugoslavian blanket by his favorite Yugoslavian textiles brand and that was good, but that is over now! it's done!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

a hole-y ghost posted:

Give him a fake coupon, like those sex coupon things, but instead it's for one murder that you'll do for him

I am actually really good at gift-giving except for like a few people. It would be nice if I could actually use the powers of the internet to help me though, instead of try to find some place that sells rusty railroad spikes and vintage copies of popular mechanics

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Get a man a fishing pole and a thing of plastic worms, give him the gift of relaxation. If he already has one, get off his drat case for a Saturday and let him go use it for once

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The only gift I want is the gift of a nice girls time.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Good gifts universally appreciated by men:

-Oddball obscure history books
-Any food that has been smoked (jerky, cheese, fish, nuts, etc)
-Caddyshack merchandise (may only be a generational thing tho)

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

anyways Pick the key is to "neg" your dad by giving him really lovely gifts most years and then give him an average level gift so he'll be pleasantly surprised.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Pick posted:

A lot of guys don't really have interests aside from, like, Hulu and video games

Although if you read the thread, you would see, I seek a gift for my father, who can buy anything he actually needs but lives frugally and spends almost all of his spare time reading about transistors and complaining that people don't realize that "oxyclean" is just repackaging of known cleaning techniques

I did recently get him a vintage Yugoslavian blanket by his favorite Yugoslavian textiles brand and that was good, but that is over now! it's done!

Joking aside it seems like he might appreciate something simple that is known for quality, like some old Wagner cast iron or a Pendleton blanket or something.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
does ur dad know ur a furry and how disapointed in you is he if yes?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

a hole-y ghost posted:

anyways Pick the key is to "neg" your dad by giving him really lovely gifts most years and then give him an average level gift so he'll be pleasantly surprised.

I did this as a kid, I gave him a Pokemon card of Diglett for his birthday and told him it was "the best one". He still thinks it is hilarious.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Beet Wagon posted:

Joking aside it seems like he might appreciate something simple that is known for quality, like some old Wagner cast iron or a Pendleton blanket or something.

He already has a set of Le Creuset cookware and several Pendleton blankets.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Books are an awesome gift, even for people with limited interests because there's going to be some kind of book that will probably draw their interest. If they already have that book - or just already read it or otherwise have formed negative opinions about it - then taking it to the bookstore to return it brings them to a place where they can already find a different book that may better engage their tastes; contrast with, say, novelty truck nuts, where returning it probably brings the recipient to a place where there are few other items of delight.

Unless they don't read, in which case maybe giving them truck nuts anyway would be an apt expression of passive-aggressive contempt.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pick aren't you an artist??? Just paint him a picture of a seductive wolf-man.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Pick posted:

Oh also

e.g. towels with boobs printed on them, or your nuts on them

I immediately googled to see if I could really buy a towel with a picture of my nuts on it and am now disappointed. Make this real and give one to your dad.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
i read the entire op and all i can say is im ron perlman

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Pick posted:

He already has a set of Le Creuset cookware and several Pendleton blankets.

Well, poo poo. I'm out of ideas.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
what kind of sad dad doesn't drink . ever met somebody who doesn't drink ? It's because they are boring . A religious nut , or maybe they drank so much the doctor said stop you'll die . What in saying is buy your dad beer

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
He seems the type to own a straight razor, if so there's a ton of useless manly shaving poo poo you can get him (brushes, shaving lathers, replacement blades etc)

If not you can always introduce him to the practice and know that you're just a slip on a wet floor away from your inheritance of books on electrical circuitry

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

a hole-y ghost posted:

Pick aren't you an artist??? Just paint him a picture of a seductive wolf-man.

I should just ask his college friends if they remember what his old d&d characters looked like and paint that instead

Xaintrailles posted:

I immediately googled to see if I could really buy a towel with a picture of my nuts on it and am now disappointed. Make this real and give one to your dad.

he thinks goatse is funny, I might be able to get that custom'd on a towel

ElectricSheep posted:

He seems the type to own a straight razor, if so there's a ton of useless manly shaving poo poo you can get him (brushes, shaving lathers, replacement blades etc)

If not you can always introduce him to the practice and know that you're just a slip on a wet floor away from your inheritance of books on electrical circuitry

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Books are an awesome gift, even for people with limited interests because there's going to be some kind of book that will probably draw their interest. If they already have that book - or just already read it or otherwise have formed negative opinions about it - then taking it to the bookstore to return it brings them to a place where they can already find a different book that may better engage their tastes; contrast with, say, novelty truck nuts, where returning it probably brings the recipient to a place where there are few other items of delight.

Unless they don't read, in which case maybe giving them truck nuts anyway would be an apt expression of passive-aggressive contempt.

How about I just take a great book and splice in some photos of nuts so I can tell if they ever actually open it up and read it.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
sissy oval office bitch

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pick posted:

How about I just take a great book and splice in some photos of nuts so I can tell if they ever actually open it up and read it.
give him a copy of anne of green gables and carefully thin out one of the pages towards the middle so there won't be a noticeable difference in page thickness, and put in the picture of the butter knife guy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

a hole-y ghost posted:

give him a copy of anne of green gables and carefully thin out one of the pages towards the middle so there won't be a noticeable difference in page thickness, and put in the picture of the butter knife guy.

Yeah these sites should have a section for like urethral insertion tools and stuff. I mean not for my dad, but that's the kind of hosed up poo poo dudes are into these days right? Didn't we have an entire thread where someone's 11 year old brother was shoving all sorts of miscellany down the dongle?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pick posted:

Yeah these sites should have a section for like urethral insertion tools and stuff. I mean not for my dad, but that's the kind of hosed up poo poo dudes are into these days right? Didn't we have an entire thread where someone's 11 year old brother was shoving all sorts of miscellany down the dongle?
Well they could, but guys like to be surreptitous about it, so most of them don't use things that are intended for it. What I'm trying to say is if a guy gives you a bunch of his paint brushes wash the handles really thoroughly.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Pick posted:

Yeah these sites should have a section for like urethral insertion tools and stuff.

That reminds me of Bespoke Post, because the ads they kept showing me on Facebook until I blocked them included a bike pump alongside the hatchet and pair of binoculars that they were convinced I'd NEED. I decided to see what they're offering now.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Pick posted:

Whiskey Periphery

The same poo poo, but for whiskey. Perhaps most famously, "whiskey stones", which you put in the freezer and then in your whiskey to cool it. Oh except you failed chemistry and forgot that it's the melting of the ice that actually makes it effective in cooling your drink. now you can get them shaped like bullets

P sure its the transfer of heat energy from the drink to the ice/fake ice, which is used to raise the temp of the occupied space at the expense of lost heat from the overall liquid

the melting of normal ice results in more surface area for the heat to transfer through tho (at the expense of putting more water in your drink).

To contribute: Power Tools that are supposed to look rugged and manly but are actually cheap pieces of poo poo. The only brand excluded from this is Rigid

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
just lol if you buy into the scam of gift giving

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

mdm posted:

just lol if you buy into the scam of gift giving

All of my gift-giving is passive aggressive one-upmanship.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
can never have too many pocket pussies...

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Look at his tools, and if they are rusty/scuffed but his fave maybe you could buy him a dremel set to buff and sharpen stuff

make sure he has safety glasses tho because they shoot out a terrifying amount of sparks and shattered sanding disks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

Look at his tools, and if they are rusty/scuffed but his fave maybe you could buy him a dremel set to buff and sharpen stuff

make sure he has safety glasses tho because they shoot out a terrifying amount of sparks and shattered sanding disks
Turn down the rpm a little and don't hold it like a golf club to prevent this.

• Locked thread