Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i would drive the gently caress out of a W124 Mercedes if any still existed here. Certainly not a modern one.

The W108s of the sixties cost more than contemporary Rolls Royce cars. RR has moved majorly upmarket since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
No disagreements there. Old krautsleds are amazing, but you and I know that's not what people are buying or even considering. That being said, you gotta hand it to the W124 and related cars for being so good that the children of the people that bought them now line up to rent garbage cars with the same emblem on the hood as those old reliables.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Jonny 290 posted:

No disagreements there. Old krautsleds are amazing, but you and I know that's not what people are buying or even considering. That being said, you gotta hand it to the W124 and related cars for being so good that the children of the people that bought them now line up to rent garbage cars with the same emblem on the hood as those old reliables.

The only complaints I've ever heard about W124s is that they were slow in diesel form and that the vacuum-operated door locks were prone to failure.

Everything in the eighties was slow. When your big complaint is that you have to push the lock button manually, you know you've got a good car.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The Management posted:

do not be in possession of an Audi past the warranty.
it is a torrid mixture of pleasure and fear and regret

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i drive a Subaru. It's been a pleasant driving experience that does what it's supposed to do competently.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'd comedy own a 4.2 v8 something if I had a standing offer for a tow company to pull it to a boneyard and crush it at no charge to me the second it broke down, as that's the more economical play with those engines

Citizen Tayne posted:

i drive a Subaru. It's been a pleasant driving experience that does what it's supposed to do competently.

Yep, just took a 120 mile jaunt up into the mountains this weekend in the forester and running great as always. We stayed the night in Idaho Springs at our favorite cheap tiny motel, and then ran up to Echo Lake this morning and had our coffee, then picked up a bunch of barbecue from a really good joint on the way home.

(notmypic)

10,600'

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 18, 2016

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
It's a shame all the Subaru XTs rusted out here long ago.

http://jalopnik.com/okay-maybe-this-subaru-xt-coupe-ad-is-actually-the-most-1645098040

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Jonny 290 posted:

I'd comedy own a 4.2 v8 something if I had a standing offer for a tow company to pull it to a boneyard and crush it at no charge to me the second it broke down, as that's the more economical play with those engines

Yep, just took a 120 mile jaunt up into the mountains this weekend in the forester and running great as always. We stayed the night in Idaho Springs at our favorite cheap tiny motel, and then ran up to Echo Lake this morning and had our coffee, then picked up a bunch of barbecue from a really good joint on the way home.

(notmypic)

10,600'

nice. livin' the life.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Incidentally the most frequent cars we saw screaming up and down the mountain road at inappropriate speeds had, without exception, four rings in a row on the emblem and a 2.0t badge on their tailgate. And there were lambos and 911s out this morning.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The mercedes s class is, and has always been, the finest luxury sedan available. rolls Royce is too conspicuous, BMW is too unreliable, and Bentley and Audi are Volkswagens with the numerous issues that entails

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my ex bought a used slk 250 or something to look cool and it breaks down a lot and the interior looks like a box of badgers got loose in there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Which is why they are exclusively driven by chauffeurs. If you own an S550 you sit in the back. if you lease, you drive it and constantly wave off fares trying to hire you

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Smythe posted:

my ex bought a used slk 250 or something to look cool and it breaks down a lot and the interior looks like a box of badgers got loose in there

I'd drive the poo poo out of your mom's Jag even though it's technically a piece of poo poo. What a pretty car.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
leasing an S class l m f a o it just sank in

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Jonny 290 posted:

When you can't afford a car, you rent it.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
There was a guy with a Jaguar XK R getting gas next to me today and it made me think about how jaguar is one of the only manufacturers who even attempts to make a car pretty anymore. The rest just go for aggressive or start with the wind tunnel and go from there

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
I took an UberX (not Uber Black), the regular poor person Uber, in SF to the airport and it was an Mercedes S-Class. pretty new-ish, clean inside, didn't look like anyone had ever been in the back tbqh.

fare was like $18 to drive 12 miles to the airport, not bad.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I took an UberX (not Uber Black), the regular poor person Uber, in SF to the airport and it was an Mercedes S-Class. pretty new-ish, clean inside, didn't look like anyone had ever been in the back tbqh.

fare was like $18 to drive 12 miles to the airport, not bad.

The owner is losing money on that trip.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Dislike button posted:

There was a guy with a Jaguar XK R getting gas next to me today and it made me think about how jaguar is one of the only manufacturers who even attempts to make a car pretty anymore. The rest just go for aggressive or start with the wind tunnel and go from there

Pretty cool that the Chinese are making pretty cars now.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

Offer details >
LEASE DETAILS

Available only to qualified customers through Mercedes-Benz Financial Services at participating dealers through September 30, 2016. Not everyone will qualify. Advertised 36 months lease payment based on MSRP of $101,075 less the suggested dealer contribution resulting in a total gross capitalized cost of $95,365. Dealer contribution may vary and could affect your actual lease payment. Includes Destination Charge and Premium 1 Package. Excludes title, taxes, registration, license fees, insurance, dealer prep and additional options. Total monthly payments equal $40,644. Cash due at signing includes $4,999 capitalized cost reduction, $795 acquisition fee and first month’s lease payment of $1,129. No security deposit required. Total payments equal $46,438. At lease end, lessee pays for any amounts due under the lease, any official fees and taxes related to the scheduled termination, excess wear and use plus $0.25/mile over 30,000 miles, and $595 vehicle turn-in fee. Purchase option at lease end for $51,548 plus taxes (and any other fees and charges due under the applicable lease agreement) in example shown. Subject to credit approval. Specific vehicles are subject to availability and may have to be ordered. See participating dealer for details. Please always wear your seat belt, drive safely and obey speed limits.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Dislike button posted:

Offer details >
LEASE DETAILS

Available only to qualified customers through Mercedes-Benz Financial Services at participating dealers through September 30, 2016. Not everyone will qualify. Advertised 36 months lease payment based on MSRP of $101,075 less the suggested dealer contribution resulting in a total gross capitalized cost of $95,365. Dealer contribution may vary and could affect your actual lease payment. Includes Destination Charge and Premium 1 Package. Excludes title, taxes, registration, license fees, insurance, dealer prep and additional options. Total monthly payments equal $40,644. Cash due at signing includes $4,999 capitalized cost reduction, $795 acquisition fee and first month’s lease payment of $1,129. No security deposit required. Total payments equal $46,438. At lease end, lessee pays for any amounts due under the lease, any official fees and taxes related to the scheduled termination, excess wear and use plus $0.25/mile over 30,000 miles, and $595 vehicle turn-in fee. Purchase option at lease end for $51,548 plus taxes (and any other fees and charges due under the applicable lease agreement) in example shown. Subject to credit approval. Specific vehicles are subject to availability and may have to be ordered. See participating dealer for details. Please always wear your seat belt, drive safely and obey speed limits.

My house wasn't much more expensive than that.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Citizen Tayne posted:

Pretty cool that the Chinese are making pretty cars now.

Jaguar Land Rover is owned by Tata which is an Indian company. You may be thinking of Volvo, who much like Jaguar and Aston Martin used to be part of Fords Premium Auto Group but was sold to a Chinese company.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Citizen Tayne posted:

My house wasn't much more expensive than that.

That's $1.55 per mile driven excluding insurance taxes and fuel, assuming you use the entire 30,000 miles and don't go over.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Dislike button posted:

Jaguar Land Rover is owned by Tata which is an Indian company. You may be thinking of Volvo, who much like Jaguar and Aston Martin used to be part of Fords Premium Auto Group but was sold to a Chinese company.

Fix Or Repair Daily.
Failed On Race Day.
Flipped Over? Read Directions!

If you read it backwards, it's:
Driver Returns On Foot.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

jigglemaster7 posted:

actually buying a new s class is retarded tbh, also i own a 911 GT3RS so its cool to have not a literal race car

i wish you a speedy recovery from your midlife crisis

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Dislike button posted:

That's $1.55 per mile driven excluding insurance taxes and fuel, assuming you use the entire 30,000 miles and don't go over.

That's way too expensive.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

poty posted:

i wish you a speedy recovery from your midlife crisis

About five years ago, he posted about how his girlfriend threw him out and he was homeless with nothing to his name except a plastic Macbook and a paper bag with some groceries. lol

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Commence the jiggling!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
sometimes i want a cool car. should make some money and buy one or something. or not. when i was a kid i met some super rich guy who daily drove a mercury tracer and it had a powerful ownage on my mind that bodyslams me to this day

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Smythe posted:

sometimes i want a cool car. should make some money and buy one or something. or not. when i was a kid i met some super rich guy who daily drove a mercury tracer and it had a powerful ownage on my mind that bodyslams me to this day

Once you realize that a car is a disposable utility that you will never get any money out of, it's easy to just drive a piece of poo poo.

If it weren't for my wife, I'd be driving a fifteen year old $1000 hulk that I replace every year.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The only car worth owning is a sports car. The rest are appliances that should be rented or leased as needed

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
If we still had small trucks, i'd call them out as an exception to that rule. but even the smallest pickup today is bigger than a '91 F150, there's no point

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

(notmypic)

10,600'

ok so this sounds awesome but where is the good bbq joint in colorado?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Pickups/SUVs are the new luxury cars as far as domestic manufacturers are concerned. Big, spacious, comfortable, with powerful high torque engines. They now have the added benefits of capability, practicality and reliability as well.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Dislike button posted:

Pickups/SUVs are the new luxury cars as far as domestic manufacturers are concerned. Big, spacious, comfortable, with powerful high torque engines. They now have the added benefits of capability, practicality and reliability as well.

Pickups/SUVs are a market force because automakers realized they couldn't compete with foreign manufacturers and needed protectionist policies to keep market share.

Trucks are demonstrably worse than cars for safety, but they have sold trucks as "safe" for years and have largely succeeded.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
http://smokinyards.com/index.html

they opened at 11am today, we called in our order at 10:50 and by 11:10 every table was filled and line out the door. Place does not gently caress around

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

Pickups/SUVs are a market force because automakers realized they couldn't compete with foreign manufacturers and needed protectionist policies to keep market share.

Trucks are demonstrably worse than cars for safety, but they have sold trucks as "safe" for years and have largely succeeded.

ford recently made one that passed the iihs tests so its like the first safe truck ever.

the Chrysler truck is of course a death machine and will cut off your legs while the impala you hit will be fine.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Chrysler should have been burnt to the ground

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
unironic posting i never thought i would see a day where ford was not only the best domestic automaker but the gap between them and #2 would be as wide as it is today. They really got their poo poo together. When I was growing up, GM was Transformers and Ford was Go-bots. Does your mom love you enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Shaggar posted:

ford recently made one that passed the iihs tests so its like the first safe truck ever.

the Chrysler truck is of course a death machine and will cut off your legs while the impala you hit will be fine.

The best part about the Ford Safe Truck is that other automakers are attacking the Ford Safe Truck for being safe.

• Locked thread