Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feller
Jul 5, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

best new ipa if you live around ga. kind of citrusy. itll get you turnt too

mods???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Gets you turnt so u can be woke af, fam.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

http://houstonbeerguide.com/karbach-brewing-co-celebrates-5-year-anniversary-with-quintuple-ipa/

YEA RIGHT YOU CAN HAVE MORE IPA AND YOU WILL LIKE IT

quote:

On September 1st, 2011 Karbach Brewing Company sold their first keg of beer. To commemorate the 5th anniversary of this event, they have released a new beer: Quintuple IPA. The “Quintuple” portion comes from the repeated use of the number “5” in the brewing process. Quintuple IPA is brewed with 5 different malts, 5 different hops (plus an extra dry hop addition), 5 different types of fermentable sugars, and 5 different yeast strains.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
ipa=garbage pissbeer for babymen

is there a didnt read thread emote cause there should be

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

reminder that ipas were created to either keep in your cellar for years or survive a long boat journey to india

its like people being really into hardtack

naem
May 29, 2011

Bro Dad posted:

reminder that ipas were created to either keep in your cellar for years or survive a long boat journey to india

its like people being really into hardtack

https://youtu.be/FyjcJUGuFVg

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Ipa used to be the only type of beer that you could count on to not be skunky trash, or not a lovely mass made lager or pilsner. Thanks to the increase in craft brew popularity, you can dislike ipas and still not be a drooling lite beer drinking mongoloid

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm waiting at the airport

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
^^
Good choice, are you at Reagan?

I guess I'm pretty loving ignorant because I still don't get the difference between "craft beer" and "ipa".

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm waiting at the airport

add another 60 minutes to that total and youll be in busines

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

^^
Good choice, are you at Reagan?

I guess I'm pretty loving ignorant because I still don't get the difference between "craft beer" and "ipa".

ahh, ipas are ales and ales are a lot easier to make than lagers. like, if you started a little homebrew operation, my guess is youll either start with amber, pale, or ipa

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Ipa is a hoppy beer, i.e. bitter/citrusy.
Craft beer is anything that isn't some variant of Miller/bud/Coors.
Ipas are craft beers but not all craft beers are IPAs.
Like I said, 99.9% of craft beer is overpriced garbage but there are good ones out there.

naem
May 29, 2011

IPA's are also ales that "taste good" and "not like angry soap"

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Oh ok cool, the "IPAs are craft beers but not all craft beers are IPAs" now makes sense.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Anybody who can get $100k-500k depending on where it is can start a dumb "craft brewery" and make an okay IPA with a googled recipe. But it takes more than that to make a good IPA. No I am not going to spend $12 on a 6 pack of boring IPA that vaguely references a local landmark, I can get Two-Hearted for that price and Bell's makes actual interesting beers too.

Still never managed to get Dogfish 120. Porter in Atlanta had it but it's like $50 and gently caress that.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

Oh ok cool, the "IPAs are craft beers but not all craft beers are IPAs" now makes sense.

IPA is just a type of beer. craft beers are, by definition i think, not either miller coors or budweiser or their subsidiaries like blue moon. in the american sense

like if you cant buy it in a 30 pack, its probably a craft beer with a few exceptions

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Pecs On Spec posted:

Anybody who can get $100k-500k depending on where it is can start a dumb "craft brewery" and make an okay IPA with a googled recipe. But it takes more than that to make a good IPA. No I am not going to spend $12 on a 6 pack of boring IPA that vaguely references a local landmark, I can get Two-Hearted for that price and Bell's makes actual interesting beers too.

Still never managed to get Dogfish 120. Porter in Atlanta had it but it's like $50 and gently caress that.

there was a liquor store near me that squirreled them away. theyre....different. 12 dollars for a 12 ounce bottle. its very alcoholic, and the alcohol basically overrides the flavor

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
theres a craft beer bar i go to that has a menu of ~20 beers 2 of which are not ipas im not even joking its a goddamn tragedy

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I'm thinking I'll count Sam Adams as a non craft too because they make garbage beer on a mammoth scale to the point that they have set up terrible hidden brands under their name, the most egregious being the stupid Traveller line of shandies with moustaches on them because that's what the kids are into these days right? Sierra Nevada was around long before Sam Adams and they haven't strayed from the path.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

yea i agree about sam adams. new belgium too, even before they got bought out

e. there are a lot of imports like heinekin that arent craft beers either but thats a european thing. i dont think they have the whole micro and nanobrewery thing over there

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

that definitely sounds like a non-gimmick designed to appeal to sophisticated IPA drinkers

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

a bone to pick posted:

Craft beer is just a small batch brew, IPA is just a type of beer.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Pecs On Spec posted:

I'm thinking I'll count Sam Adams as a non craft too because they make garbage beer on a mammoth scale to the point that they have set up terrible hidden brands under their name, the most egregious being the stupid Traveller line of shandies with moustaches on them because that's what the kids are into these days right? Sierra Nevada was around long before Sam Adams and they haven't strayed from the path.

the brewers association actually raised the limit of how much beer you're allowed to produce from 2 million gallons to 6 million, just so that sam adams could still call themselves a craft brewery

craft beer is a misnomer at this point between that and all the fake microbeers that anheuser busch produces

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
In Sam Adams' defense there was a massive hops shortage a while ago and they let other random local smalltime breweries have access to their hops at cost otherwise those companies would have gone out of business.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Roylicious posted:

In Sam Adams' defense there was a massive hops shortage a while ago and they let other random local smalltime breweries have access to their hops at cost otherwise those companies would have gone out of business.

didnt know this, thats pretty legit

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
The hip shortage was partially artificial from Bud buying up as much Cascade as they could, blocking access to smaller breweries. That's also why there's been a huge influx of New Zealand and Australian hops in American craft beer.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Blue Raider posted:

add another 60 minutes to that total and youll be in busines

I have a 120 I'm aging until October of next year when I get back from hiking the Appalachian Trail. Gonna ooooooown

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Raider posted:

IPA is just a type of beer. craft beers are, by definition i think, not either miller coors or budweiser or their subsidiaries like blue moon. in the american sense

like if you cant buy it in a 30 pack, its probably a craft beer with a few exceptions

I'm going to assume this difference between craft beers and regular beer is the difference between micro-brew and macro-brew? right?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

I'm going to assume this difference between craft beers and regular beer is the difference between micro-brew and macro-brew? right?

i think what youre referring to as regular beer is the domestic lagers, weak rear end pilsners. those are legit types of beers but by their scale of production theyre not, by definition, craft brews.

its production by gallons, like somebody upthread said

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

macrobrewing: budweiser, coors, miller, same adams, new belgium

microbrewing: dogfish head, uinta, stone, bells, green man

nanobrewing: your dipshit neighbor founded a LLC and started fermenting tapwater in his basement

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Terrific Accident posted:

I drink whatever beer has the most alcohol in it and that's usually imperial IPAs or stouts. A sour is a waste of my time and pumpkin beers are usually watery and lacking body

you should just skip straight to barleywines then

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Local IPA's are a good way of getting good and woozy for $10

At least in parts of Canada where microbrews cost within 50˘ of Coors or Bud- that distinction came up in the last Beer Thread when goons pointed out that their local beers are way more expensive than macros.

Anyway, the most disgusting beers known to man are Melon Beers, like what the gently caress

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Roylicious posted:

Okay this was very cool of them to do that. Even better for PR too, like that time some secretary at Coke stole some product in development and offered to ransom it to Pepsi. Pepsico called the FBI and played along until they got whoever it was, and they were able to make a great press release about "we just want to play fair."

Having a Dale's "Stovepipe" can now. Had one on draft earlier, also a Lagunitas IPA. All fine picks.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
one time i was at walmart and they had lagunitas undercover for $7 for a six pack

that's the same amount of alcohol as a case of budweiser for two bucks less and it tastes like beer

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I used to get the Sucks 32oz jugs for $7 at whole foods in Atlanta. Those were fun and dangerous, no idea if they sell them where I am now.
At a bar I used to drink at in Atlanta there was a bartender who was present in Petaluma during the Undercover Shutdown sting. I am told he is at some craft brewery in Atlanta now. I should try to stop in next time I'm there. Cool dude who gave me a lot of free Branca shots and discounts, but i'd still always spend a shitload and overtip there.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Any beer darker than a corona is bitter and disgusting. Like any "acquired taste", it's just people convincing themselves it tastes good because society expects it of them. Same thing with steak that isn't well done and hard liquor unless it's mixed so much that you can't tasted it anymore. You'd acquire the taste for literal dog poo poo if you worked hard enough at it, and you would if eating dog poo poo was cool lmbo

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

one time i was at walmart and they had lagunitas undercover for $7 for a six pack

that's the same amount of alcohol as a case of budweiser for two bucks less and it tastes like beer

involutarily made the home improvement noise when reading this

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

So many bad craft brewers say "IPA MEANS HOPS" and don't put any effort into making a balanced beer that doesn't taste like burned garbage. Sometimes you find a good IPA but they are rare and elusive.

But I just buy Old Milwaukee by the case because after the first two I'm not gonna give a gently caress about the gentle fruity notes and subtle undertones of chocolate and cum in a beer that cost four times as much per bottle.

naem
May 29, 2011

Blue Raider posted:

i think what youre referring to as regular beer is the domestic lagers, weak rear end pilsners. those are legit types of beers but by their scale of production theyre not, by definition, craft brews.

its production by gallons, like somebody upthread said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

fishing with the fam posted:

Tomorrow is the first day of October, and that means every drat brewery is going to release their version of an Octoberfest beer. I have never in my life had an Octoberfest that didn't suck out loud.

German Oktoberfest with a K beers are the only good October anything beers. That and Bell's, which tastes like a German beer. German lagers in general are superior to American lagers except for a few cheap garbage brands like Beck's and St. Pauli Girl.

AugmentedVision posted:

Any beer darker than a corona is bitter and disgusting. Like any "acquired taste", it's just people convincing themselves it tastes good because society expects it of them. Same thing with steak that isn't well done and hard liquor unless it's mixed so much that you can't tasted it anymore. You'd acquire the taste for literal dog poo poo if you worked hard enough at it, and you would if eating dog poo poo was cool lmbo

Look at this philistine.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 1, 2016

• Locked thread