Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best Mike Judge project?
Beavis and Butt-Head
King of the Hill
Office Space
Idiocracy
View Results

• Locked thread
Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Khorne posted:

How he got beavis & butthead to air is a story in itself, and another great Judge story is how bad he got hosed by MTV on getting paid for it. He's also buds with Knoxville of Jackass fame in real life.

tell all those stories!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

tell all those stories!
I think they're all in this video and the subsequent parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aQVf7nfKcY

If they're not there is a howard stern interview with him that covers the stuff that's not there.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Khorne posted:

I think they're all in this video and the subsequent parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aQVf7nfKcY

If they're not there is a howard stern interview with him that covers the stuff that's not there.

I think i vaguely remember watching those on MTV2

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Neurolimal posted:

It's not really a mockery; Hank gets stubborn about things, but his moral code is usually a good one that clashes with reality. In the end he still has the moral code, but grows as a person and admits when he's wrong

You dont have to make every show outside a big city you like an epic takedown of conservatives to feel ok watching it

Right, it's a show about how people can be good and get along irrespective of what their formal leanings are, as long as they have basic human decency.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
king of the hill was best by far, you could probably teach a couple of college classes about it

goode family was just cheap poo poo, just really flat garbage

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Saw a few episodes of Goode online 5 years ago and thought it was ok. The whole vegan dog and an adopted white south African kid with a knack for cars were kinda funny :shobon:

Although I do see that the mocking satire is similar, the heart of koth is absent.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I think Beavis And Butthead Do America is a good movie, but I legitimately do not really get the show, except them commenting on music videos and stuff. It seems locked to the gen x crowd in terms of relatability.

My fave judge thing is office space though. I really feel like the message of the movie, where the protagonist ends up being happier in a construction job than a desk jockey is a good message for people who are majorly unhappy in the corporate world.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

basic hitler posted:

I think Beavis And Butthead Do America is a good movie, but I legitimately do not really get the show, except them commenting on music videos and stuff. It seems locked to the gen x crowd in terms of relatability.

My fave judge thing is office space though. I really feel like the message of the movie, where the protagonist ends up being happier in a construction job than a desk jockey is a good message for people who are majorly unhappy in the corporate world.

Even as a kid, the big take away were these two idiots who's very existence seems to challenge and complicate real life situations. And 90% of the biting social commentary is distilled into a 1 minute bit of B&B seeing something, and saying, "That's sssstupid...uhhhuhhhhuhuh..."

And I liked it just fine as a GenX-LITE millenial .

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Wicker Man posted:

Even as a kid, the big take away were these two idiots who's very existence seems to challenge and complicate real life situations. And 90% of the biting social commentary is distilled into a 1 minute bit of B&B seeing something, and saying, "That's sssstupid...uhhhuhhhhuhuh..."

And yet, they live.

(That's really the whole message behind any of Mike Judge's works.)

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I don't know why King of the Hill is so highly rated. It moves at a snail's pace and it repeats the same five jokes ad nauseam.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

The Dennis System posted:

I don't know why King of the Hill is so highly rated. It moves at a snail's pace and it repeats the same five jokes ad nauseam.

Yeah but those are the five funniest gat dang jokes you'll ever hear, i tell you hwat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The Dennis System posted:

i believe pokemon has the jump cuts and wide array of characters you seek

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
KOTH when it was good was crushingly funny, when it was bad it was almost unwatchable

also Peggy is the villain

Khorne
May 1, 2002

basic hitler posted:

I was born in the late 80s and love beavis & butthead and have since I was a kid.

The art style, the lovable characters, the world they live in and how it interacts with them or they interact with it are great.

Pretty much any random episode where they actually go do stuff is great. Shorts like beard boys are kinda masterpieces. Imagine how he thought of these episodes. Couch fishing, frog baseball, them casually trying to burn a grasshopper with a lighter while talking to dia..daria and going for the lowest hanging fruit of what she could do with her camera - take it to the girl's locker room (this was later reanimated to them both holding grasshoppers due to the outrage), lots of the stewart episodes are good, lots of the school ones are good too. The characters are kinda familiar in some ways. The show manages to consistently defy expectations in a somewhat clever and uplifting way. Like the end of beard boys.

Take this scene from some random episode that I remember:

*butthead gets hit in head with ball, camera shakes*
"Good catch butthead, looks like you are ready for the loser olympics"
"Cool. Do I get to miss any school?"

The thing is, he's not replying sarcastically. He's legitimately excited about it. I find that kind of stuff endearing. No matter what they do or what happens it seems to end up being positive to them in some way no matter how a normal person would react.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 25, 2016

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
Came to praise King of the Hill, and Silicon Valley. Stayed for the hand wringing about Idiocracy.

Why do people forget when this movie was made? Do you guys not remember the Bush years? With Trump and Alex Jones shaping conservative opinion it's easy to look back on the zeitgeist of that time with rose-tinted glasses but gently caress that. Mid-2000s America was filled with celebrations of ignorance and stupidity and that's what the movie is lampooning.

Let us English fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 25, 2016

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
yeah if you go look at the comments on any clip of Idiocracy on YouTube then it's pretty depressing to see so many arrogant libertarians praising this movie as a dire warning. In reality it's just funny satire of dumb assholes.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
its quite a bit more pointed than that and its definitely a fairly political reaction to the state of media in the 00's but somehow basically everyone misses the point entirely and takes it like some sort of version of brave new world for retards

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

saying koth is apologetic about conservatives is like saying the sopranos is apologetic about the mafia

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
koth is such an accurate slice of small town midwestern america that i think people don't get the level of satire it operates at. because it's not operating as satire

almost like napoleon dynamite, a movie that 95% of people don't get but if you do get it it deserves to be hung up in the loving lourve

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
What did people think of the dog poop scooper episode of Koth? IIRC, the crux of the argument about Bobby's passion for the money making job won't work because he's not handsome and traditionally charming like the dude he's emulating.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

saying koth is apologetic about conservatives is like saying the sopranos is apologetic about the mafia

No don't you get it? Unless you mercilessly mock and otherise anybody who disagrees with your politics then you are a shill fraud and you will be up against the wall when the time comes.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

koth is just a comedy show there's no deep underlying meaning to anything in it, you just take everything at face value and laugh.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

In my last class for my business degree we watched Office Space as a prep for what was coming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aQXuL5pCQ0

It was not wrong

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

nigga crab pollock posted:

koth is such an accurate slice of small town midwestern america that i think people don't get the level of satire it operates at. because it's not operating as satire

almost like napoleon dynamite, a movie that 95% of people don't get but if you do get it it deserves to be hung up in the loving lourve

this exactly

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Khorne posted:

How he got beavis & butthead to air is a story in itself, and another great Judge story is how bad he got hosed by MTV on getting paid for it. He's also buds with Knoxville of Jackass fame in real life.

Didn't he also get hosed by fox on both of his movies?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

It was basically trailer park boys: the cartoon because everyone knows people like that and can totally see them saying and doing just those sorts of things.

I know a few francos who swear that the Quebec translation (Henri pis sa Gang) was also spot-on and a masterpiece

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I'm glad that KotH lasted long enough to get an HD intro, and I'm also glad that they put it in the dirt a couple seasons after the quality started to seriously slide

Ended on a very nice note, to boot

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

His belly face shows us how he really feels.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
King of the Hill has some of the best dialog/character building on TV, but Silicon Valley makes me outright laugh more.
Beavis and Butthead had like 2 parts that made me laugh out of the whole thing, but was still nice to bingewatch over the course of a weekend.
I would say it's a tie between the King of the Hill/Silicon Valley

I don't know if I would call Mike Judge a genius, but he is probably a funny & cool dude irl that is fun to chill with

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hank, are you gay?

What!? NO! I sell propane!

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
Can’t you see you’re not making Christianity any better, you’re just making rock and roll worse?!

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.

lol

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Hank, are you gay?

What!? NO! I sell propane!

loll

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Lucky owned, I don't get the hate for him at all

Tom Petty owns too so that helps

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
nah

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

lucky was a saint you son of a bitch

like you wouldn't make a career out of slipping in pee pee if you could, and spend the rest of your life dispensing country wisdom to your family

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Luanne was supposed to be bettering herself and improving her station in life

But fox didn't want any character development so that's why she had to marry a redneck like Lucky and stay trashy

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I like Lucky as a character but he took on a big role in the show when it was getting really bad so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Luanne was supposed to be bettering herself and improving her station in life

But fox didn't want any character development so that's why she had to marry a redneck like Lucky and stay trashy

I guess this is a fair point I kind of wish Luanne had continued to develop like she did early on

• Locked thread