Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

okay fine, a game made in this century then, mr or mrs picky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

dragon_pamcake posted:

For a second, I thought you were calling the Prime Cons garbage and we were going to have words.

Knock Out was the best loving Decepticon ever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrPMgVETeAQ

I will never get over the cutaway to Knock Out's pedals, like we're watching Initial D or something.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Ikasuhito posted:

Tsk While thats good and all clearly you meant to post this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY0X-TalTQI
I totally forgot they could get wasted on Energon. :allears:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Orv posted:

TFA was basically Freakazoid + Justice League Meets Transformers. It was good poo poo.

TBF,the show did start to grow on me. It was the episodes "Thrill of the Hunt" and "Along Came a Spider" that got me interested in the show. And the fact that Animated Megs,besides BW,Welker and the Cybertron games, is one of my favorite Megatrons ever. It was the fact that he was so cold and smooth the whole time,as opposed to perpetual anger like most versions of the character, that endeared me to him. Admittedly,the human villains were lame (60's Batman tier lame),but the 'Cons (and Starscream,and Lockdown) were all around good villains.

Then the Sari reveal happened,and I noped the gently caress outta there. But then,after the cancellation, I found out that the next season would have had Devastator,and I got a little peeved. Which is why,when Prime came out, I was very determined to hate it,only to ultimately enjoy it. But that's a story for another time.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 6, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

dragon_pamcake posted:

Knock Out was the best loving Decepticon ever.
In addition to being a straight out classy mfer he just cold-cocks Starscream one at one point because "He's RUDE."

I will never not love Knock Out.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

VolticSurge posted:

TBF,the show did start to grow on me. It was the episodes "Thrill of the Hunt" and "Along Came a Spider" that got me interested in the show. And the fact that Animated Megs,besides BW,Welker and the Cybertron games, is one of my favorite Megatrons ever. It was the fact that he was so cold and smooth the whole time,as opposed to perpetual anger like most versions of the character, that endeared me to him. Admittedly,the human villains were lame (60's Batman tier lame),but the 'Cons (and Starscream,and Lockdown) were all around good villains.

Then the Sari reveal happened,and I noped the gently caress outta there. But then,after the cancellation, I found out that the next season would have had Devastator,and I got a little peeved. Which is why,when Prime came out, I was very determined to hate it,only to ultimately enjoy it. But that's a story for another time.

I would have been bugged by the Sari reveal if anything had ever been done with it. But nothing was done with it. She basically dropped out of the season because they decided to focus harder on the Autobots/Decepticons themselves. She appears a bit in a few episodes but ultimately does nothing. And yes I also loved David Kaye's take on Optimus, since it basically rounded out "The Life of Optimus Prime" for me. The new commander (Kaye) Experienced, but not yet the grand commander (Chalke) and then the venerable commander, everyones dad, the living legend (Cullen)

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Coolguye posted:

In addition to being a straight out classy mfer he just cold-cocks Starscream one at one point because "He's RUDE."

Knock Out is amazing, and I am happy that of all the Decepticons, he's the one that ended up with a happy ending.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Coolguye posted:

He's actually pretty nice to Starscream in Season 1 and gets increasingly tired of his poo poo in 2 & 3. The bitch-fight they have with the Omega Keys is so great.

Also the face he makes when Megatron orders him to dispose of that grenade inside Soundwave. :allears:

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 6, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Rorahusky posted:

Knock Out is amazing, and I am happy that of all the Decepticons, he's the one that ended up with a happy ending.

My personal like for Knock Out aside, I kind of use that ending for him as exhibit A on how well done the writing on Prime is. When Shockwave shows back up, Knock Out is redundant to the script and shows up less and less, and when he does there's this meta-awareness that he's languishing. Then in the finale his own frustration from that boils over and combines sheer opportunism to produce an amazingly organic moment that completely justifies keeping Knock Out around as opposed to killing him off like the rest of the Decepticons that ended up becoming redundant during the show's run.

Unfortunately they couldn't pull a similar awesome moment out for Arcee after Ultra Magnus showed up and made her redundant, but such are the hazards of working for the Good Guys I guess.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Onmi posted:

I would have been bugged by the Sari reveal if anything had ever been done with it. But nothing was done with it. She basically dropped out of the season because they decided to focus harder on the Autobots/Decepticons themselves. She appears a bit in a few episodes but ultimately does nothing. And yes I also loved David Kaye's take on Optimus, since it basically rounded out "The Life of Optimus Prime" for me. The new commander (Kaye) Experienced, but not yet the grand commander (Chalke) and then the venerable commander, everyones dad, the living legend (Cullen)

Yeah, I also really liked their version of Prime. Sentinel can go to hell,though. Racist prick.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Onmi posted:

I think the thing I love most about Animated Prime is the relationship he has with Megatron. In every single other continuity, those two have so much history, and yet in Animated, Megatron literally doesn't even know or speak Prime's name until the very end of the series, after this mere /Autobot grunt/ manages to thwart his plans for the last time and he just goes completely berserk.

Don't get me wrong, I love the traditional Prime/Megatron dynamic too, but this was a nice change of pace from the norm.

As for Sari, I used to really dislike her too. And then I met Miko in TF Prime, who is basically Sari with none of her good points, and an infuriating habit of making everything worse because she juuuuust has to go watch the Autobots fight.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Rorahusky posted:

As for Sari, I used to really dislike her too. And then I met Miko in TF Prime, who is basically Sari with none of her good points, and an infuriating habit of making everything worse because she juuuuust has to go watch the Autobots fight.

Yeah,I remember hating Miko a ton when the show started,which made me reeeealy ambivalent towards the show (I went in wanting to hate it,as you can recall). I kept hoping that she'd get written out of the show,or at least less screentime. Then Season 2 happened,and she barely did anything in it. I was all like"this is a major improvement." Then Season 3 happened,and I was like :catstare: " OH COME THE gently caress ON".

Also,Sari has good points?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

VolticSurge posted:

Yeah, I also really liked their version of Prime. Sentinel can go to hell,though. Racist prick.

Sentinel was there attempt to make a "Major Frank Burns" of Transformers. Someone completely inept and despicable who, even if it looks like he's finally having a moment of humanity, just keeps revealing that he's an awful person. It worked!

Rorahusky posted:

I think the thing I love most about Animated Prime is the relationship he has with Megatron. In every single other continuity, those two have so much history, and yet in Animated, Megatron literally doesn't even know or speak Prime's name until the very end of the series, after this mere /Autobot grunt/ manages to thwart his plans for the last time and he just goes completely berserk.

Don't get me wrong, I love the traditional Prime/Megatron dynamic too, but this was a nice change of pace from the norm.

Also the banter was on point leading to that.

"Ah, then you do remember my name. Pity I can't remember yours."

"It appears you and I are destined to battle aboard this ship once more, Autobot."
"Bring it on, Decepticon."

"You're a persistent little Autobot."
"My name is OPTIMUS PRIME!"

"If I cannot save my clones, at least I'll have the satisfaction of destroying you, Optimus Prime."
"So, you can remember my name!"

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

VolticSurge posted:

Yeah,I remember hating Miko a ton when the show started,which made me reeeealy ambivalent towards the show (I went in wanting to hate it,as you can recall). I kept hoping that she'd get written out of the show,or at least less screentime. Then Season 2 happened,and she barely did anything in it. I was all like"this is a major improvement." Then Season 3 happened,and I was like :catstare: " OH COME THE gently caress ON".

She's not Miko, for one.

Though Animated Arachnia was amazing. I'm not as much a fan of Prime's so far. Though I still have I guess a season or two to go. Must put my Netflix back together and resume watching.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

Not many, but compared to Miko she seems like a saint. For literally the entire first season and 3/4th of the second, Miko existed for only two reasons. 1) To cause the conflict for the episode that the Autobots have to try and solve, or 2) To fix the very thing she did in point 1.

That said, the one redeeming moment for Miko is in season 3, where she proceeds to hijack the Apex Armor and go to town on Starscream and his mooks. It was like watching amateur hour at the wrestling ring between a bunch of giant robots.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I personally think Miko was balanced out by the other human characters, especially Jack and Agent Fowler. Honestly, if they took out Miko, the show would be pretty much perfect.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rorahusky posted:

Not many, but compared to Miko she seems like a saint. For literally the entire first season and 3/4th of the second, Miko existed for only two reasons. 1) To cause the conflict for the episode that the Autobots have to try and solve, or 2) To fix the very thing she did in point 1.

That said, the one redeeming moment for Miko is in season 3, where she proceeds to hijack the Apex Armor and go to town on Starscream and his mooks. It was like watching amateur hour at the wrestling ring between a bunch of giant robots.

She's the Max from Batman Beyond of Transformers Prime

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

I personally think Miko was balanced out by the other human characters, especially Jack and Agent Fowler. Honestly, if they took out Miko, the show would be pretty much perfect.

But then they wouldn't be able to appeal to...whatever demographic she was made to appeal to. Probably the same one as Jar Jar from Star Wars,honestly.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

But then they wouldn't be able to appeal to...whatever demographic she was made to appeal to. Probably the same one as Jar Jar from Star Wars,honestly.

She's supposed to be a hardcore, action girl. Unfortunately, that type of character really grates on one's nerves when they keep dragging the other characters into danger because they refuse to learn from their mistakes.

Miko was a Scrappy Doo until she blew up Hardshell and beat up Starscream.

I liked Jack's mom, June. She was protective without being overblown and she came to terms with the fact her son was growing up and putting his life in danger for the greater good.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

dragon_pamcake posted:

I liked Jack's mom, June. She was protective without being overblown and she came to terms with the fact her son was growing up and putting his life in danger for the greater good.

'Jack Darby, you will /not/ be going to another planet!'

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

"Arcee, I think I owe you an apology."
"You do??"

Best June moment imo, if only because of Arcee's reaction

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Yeah,I liked June. At first I found her to be an overbearing helicopter mom, but she grew on me. Only real problem I have with her is less her as a character and more of the fandom shipping her with Optimus based on,like, a one-off joke.

Besides,we all know Optimus only has eyes for Megatron,anyway.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
One of June's best bits was the snarkfest she got into with Ratchet one episode, she arrived wanting to speak to Prime..

Ratchet: "He's on a mission, sorry to disappoint you"
June: "Gee, and I wore high-heels and everything"
Jack: "MOM!?!"

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Rabidredneck posted:

One of June's best bits was the snarkfest she got into with Ratchet one episode, she arrived wanting to speak to Prime..

Ratchet: "He's on a mission, sorry to disappoint you"
June: "Gee, and I wore high-heels and everything"
Jack: "MOM!?!"

That's the joke I was talking about. The fandom took it wayyy outta context.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

oh people flat out wanted to take it out of context and it's not subtle. june's in her scrubs and flats like always in that scene and is clearly just trolling ratchet, though jack's reaction makes it a bonus. according to tfwiki the fanficcers spend the rest of their time shipping june and fowler, which is equally as stupid for different reasons, so i have a lot of difficulty taking any of that stuff seriously. i'm sure there's some subset of it that is unironic, but it's so absurd that it doesn't feel like it's unironic.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Coolguye posted:

oh people flat out wanted to take it out of context and it's not subtle. june's in her scrubs and flats like always in that scene and is clearly just trolling ratchet, though jack's reaction makes it a bonus. according to tfwiki the fanficcers spend the rest of their time shipping june and fowler, which is equally as stupid for different reasons, so i have a lot of difficulty taking any of that stuff seriously. i'm sure there's some subset of it that is unironic, but it's so absurd that it doesn't feel like it's unironic.

Mind explaining why it's stupid? I haven't been paying attention to the fandom very much.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i don't pay attention to the fandom either, i say it's stupid because fowler and june never really get along and only work together when practically forced to.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Stop this.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

On another note,what's Beast Wars superfan Orv's stance on this?
The guy has some...strong opinions on the show.

Orv
May 4, 2011
*Mouth farting noises* Look mom I'm a film student!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Orv posted:

*Mouth farting noises* Look mom I'm a film student!

Sad thing is,this guy's a Goon. I've seen him post in the Internet Critic Discussion Thread. And the thing is,most of the Goons there praise his works whenever they're brought up.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well he doesn't say anything actually important or insightful from my skipping around so that's not really a surprise.

Besides, critically reviewing kids cartoons is missing the point by such a degree that it's not even worth laughing at.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Orv posted:

Well he doesn't say anything actually important or insightful from my skipping around so that's not really a surprise.

He claims that Season 1 and 3 have no stakes,just a slapstick-loaded series of border skirmishes. And that Season 3 is the worst season of the show.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My toy robots don't have realistic goals and motivations!

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Talking about the stupid parts of the TF fandom is going down a rabbit hole we will never return from. Please focus on your favorite TF stuff from the show, game, or comic of your choosing.

Unless it's KISS players. Then, you can gently caress right off.

I love Prime warts and all. They had no idea what the hell to do with Ultra Magnus once he joined the team. It might have been a better show if they'd killed off Optimus in Season 2.

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 7, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Coolguye posted:

Having just binged on the rest of the show, was the episode where they went on a date a reference to that, or the inspiration?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

Having just binged on the rest of the show, was the episode where they went on a date a reference to that, or the inspiration?

no clue

dragon_pamcake posted:

I love Prime warts and all. They had no idea what the hell to do with Ultra Magnus once he joined the team. It might have been a better show if they'd killed off Optimus in Season 2.
the larger issue with magnus imo was that he made Arcee redundant by out-quintessential-soldiering her. which was stupid because Arcee was funny and magnus was not.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
My favorite part of Transformers Prime was when Nemesis Prime (or whatever) showed up and his dialogue consisted entirely of lines spoken by Bay movies Optimus.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

My favorite part of Transformers Prime was when Nemesis Prime (or whatever) showed up and his dialogue consisted entirely of lines spoken by Bay movies Optimus.

No"Give me your face!" sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Coolguye posted:

no clue

the larger issue with magnus imo was that he made Arcee redundant by out-quintessential-soldiering her. which was stupid because Arcee was funny and magnus was not.

I'm sorry you didn't find, "Are your circuits impaired, soldier," funny.

• Locked thread