Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
it is hard to get used to the fact that you no longer 'pwn' people, but respectfully best them in honorable combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kild posted:

as did I

as did I

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Was playing a game against a Pinoy stack and we were getting ganked and dying constantly but they kept refusing to push our highground. We asked our Australian why and he said that Pinoys are giant pussies who will refuse to push without ten items so I devised a super good strategy where I bought a rapier and attack ordered their ancient and they tried to rat us and I just clicked their ancient down and they lost while weakly attacking our t3s. I no longer think Fillipinos are the strongest race.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
I have a serious question for this, the Dota 2 thread. I'm sure it'll go swimmingly.

For anyone in here who plays primarily/only core in solo queue: how do you do it? Do you play in Ranked exclusively and grab it if you're highest MMR? Or do you play Unranked and just big dick pick whatever mid hero you feel like playing? How do you handle bad matchups from having to pick first, assuming that's what you do? Do you just kind of live with the fact that you play a lot of 4 carry games and that's the price you have to pay?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I have a serious question for this, the Dota 2 thread. I'm sure it'll go swimmingly.

For anyone in here who plays primarily/only core in solo queue: how do you do it? Do you play in Ranked exclusively and grab it if you're highest MMR? Or do you play Unranked and just big dick pick whatever mid hero you feel like playing? How do you handle bad matchups from having to pick first, assuming that's what you do? Do you just kind of live with the fact that you play a lot of 4 carry games and that's the price you have to pay?

I play brood mid

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah, I play ranked every game. Get like three/four heroes you're super comfortable on and feel like you could win no matter how your mid matchup goes. A good pick is Ember Spirit, where even if you last hit like loving trash you can just soak EXP and then ruin the enemy safelane at 6 by dumpstering supports. Be careful though, as this lifestyle is not for the weak of spirit, last year I got so fed up with the lovely ranked grind that I lost 1200 MMR in four weeks by refusing to play anything but Clinkz every single game because he's the only hero I found to be fun even when losing

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

You pick a core that you're really good with, and even if they counter you you do this thing called outskilling them.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
One of the most powerful carries, who can hamstring those who would otherwise outskill your team by pressing a button is silencer, btw.

e: insanely good tip: sometimes buy wards if your supports are feeding. They'll appreciate the gesture!

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Black Baby Goku posted:

I play brood mid

Rip gogey

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
buying wards for your supports is the ultimate gently caress you gesture that says 'you can't even do that right so i'll just do it'

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

You pick a core that you're really good with, and even if they counter you you do this thing called outskilling them.

Sure, that works if you've got the chops for it, but what you do when you play mid?

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

Sure, that works if you've got the chops for it, but what you do when you play mid?

Nanomashoes posted:

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
New patch is good, MK is secret dumpster tier, Necrophos new OP pub hero. Pick heroes that can fight all the time and don't jungle unless you are solo offlane 1v3 and have to wait for lane to push for you.

and headliner, the option to show allies names above heads is where it's always been: in the options.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Snazzy Frocks posted:

buying wards for your supports is the ultimate gently caress you gesture that says 'you can't even do that right so i'll just do it'
Nah that's buying your own (flying) courier and hand-delivering wards into their inventory/backpack just to make sure

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

whooooooosh

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
anyone ever see this manners guy win a lane?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

MannersPlease posted:

and headliner, the option to show allies names above heads is where it's always been: in the options.

lol

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

pick viper first pick all the time and then play core in whatever lane because there isn't a lane or matchup that viper cannot win, then lose late game because viper isn't a good core

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Vhak lord of hate posted:

pick viper first pick all the time and then play core in whatever lane because there isn't a lane or matchup that viper cannot win, then lose late game because viper isn't a good core

I appreciate the thought but I wasn't fishing for tips, I was fishing for insight on how people approached having a "I'm a core player, I'm going mid in this solo queue game" mentality. And right now I'm more interested in knowing how people deal with what I assume is the large number of games where some dipshit contests the mid/carry pick or everyone picks cores because gently caress you, you don't go safe lane *I* go safe lane.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

I appreciate the thought but I wasn't fishing for tips, I was fishing for insight on how people approached having a "I'm a core player, I'm going mid in this solo queue game" mentality. And right now I'm more interested in knowing how people deal with what I assume is the large number of games where some dipshit contests the mid/carry pick or everyone picks cores because gently caress you, you don't go safe lane *I* go safe lane.

Get all the last hits.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

When someone wants mid just go mid anyway and put your entire team on mute

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Black Baby Goku posted:

When someone wants mid just go mid anyway and put your entire team on mute

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

if you are actually very good at the game you can affect it from any position on any hero and should probably just let the masses play their one role that they're comfortable in instead. the actual answer to this question however is to not solo queue, but instead systematically subjugate a group of players for years and bring them under your yoke to the point where they will let you do whatever without question

Kilano
Feb 25, 2006

i'm up to about 5.3k and 95% of the games i play are between 4.5k and 5k average. i'm almost the highest MMR so usually people just let me go mid.

I have a mic and ask nicely if they'll let me wait to pick until i see what the mid match is going to be. IF we have a jungler I will usually pick a mid that doesnt rely on support rotations. My mid choice is also dependent on how greedy my team picks. I'm not going to pick a scaling mid if we need a space creator, likewise i'm not going to pick a space creator if we lack late game.

Then I worry about the mid matchup. It's not nearly as important, just don't pick something that has a very HARD counter. Even if the lane doesnt go well you can always catch up with rotations or jungle or split push

Kilano
Feb 25, 2006
I think the issue with people fighting over lanes tends to happen in the cancer brackets. The higher MMR you go, logically they had to win to get there.

If i'm not the highest mmr, usually i'll just pick whatever position is left (usually 5 or off). I'm comfortable playing those as well. And I know that my core players (shouldnt) be idiots

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
everyone is an idiot so immediately just pick whatevers fun

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kilano posted:

I think the issue with people fighting over lanes tends to happen in the cancer brackets. The higher MMR you go, logically they had to win to get there.

If i'm not the highest mmr, usually i'll just pick whatever position is left (usually 5 or off). I'm comfortable playing those as well. And I know that my core players (shouldnt) be idiots

The thing is at any bracket having a higher or lower mmr compared to your teammates isn't necessarily a reflection of your relative skill. The people you match with should be around the same MMR as you, but just because one of them got lucky in recent matches doesn't mean they are actually better, so go mid, tell them all to shut the gently caress up, and mute them wether you are highest or lowest.

Kilano
Feb 25, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

The thing is at any bracket having a higher or lower mmr compared to your teammates isn't necessarily a reflection of your relative skill. The people you match with should be around the same MMR as you, but just because one of them got lucky in recent matches doesn't mean they are actually better, so go mid, tell them all to shut the gently caress up, and mute them wether you are highest or lowest.

I think this is different when your mmr gets >5k. Because the population is smaller relative to the actual population (https://www.opendota.com/distributions), there tends to be 2 players with high mmr, and then the remainder of the team consists of 4k - 5k players. This happens when i'm not the highest mmr player, we will randomly get a 7k on each team and a bunch of 5ks. I"ve queued into arteezy several times, it's just because (especially in NA) the population is so small that the matchmaking system has to find them a game eventually.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
Here is a picture that will demonstrate many of the interesting topics discussed on page four of this thread: See if you can find them all!

Kilano
Feb 25, 2006

MannersPlease posted:

Here is a picture that will demonstrate many of the interesting topics discussed on page four of this thread: See if you can find them all!

guess the real life age of your 6.7k team mate.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
why guess when you can just ask...how old are you anyway gogey?

Kilano
Feb 25, 2006
IIRC he should be turning 16 any day now.

Tiger Woods levels of savant

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

do NOT use the microphone what the gently caress is wrong with you

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

gangnam reference posted:

do NOT use the microphone what the gently caress is wrong with you

Use the mic to yell woooooo

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

https://vine.co/v/52aJPtebdZj

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Merry Christmas Eve DOTA 2 thread

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

who else huggin their dog n watching Chungking express today

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seiNr5r4Yu8

glad thsi thread made it to christmas

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

gangnam reference posted:

who else huggin their dog n watching Chungking express today

im hugging+eating chungking express and watching dog the bounty hunter

Two Worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

merry christmas. watch a young mind unfurl: https://www.twitch.tv/wangsbig

• Locked thread