Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

Memento posted:

Did the Daytona ever have the v6 in it? They were ok-ish.
Yeah, the Mitsubishi 6g72. Just tonight I made an airport pickup run in the very similar dodge shadow with that v6. Worst Car Ever. Engine is great in a minivan and very reliable if a bit hard to work on. Terrible gear ratios, terrible handling, suspension bottoms out on any bump. Even when it was new the shift linkage was vague now it is a total guessing game fortunately the terrible gearing and diesel like torque make pulling away in third a pretty easy. Also like a diesel the fun is over at 3200rpm. It has made it to 280k however so I can't be too harsh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

14", I, and I guess most others here understand the adventure is wearing thin now and you would like to see it wrapped up and go home so regarding which car you take...

Whatever gets you hardest. Sincerely.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Does the big truck have a tow hitch that UHaul wouldn't turn white as a sheet hooking up a rental trailer to? What about towing the car of choice (My vote goes to the Daytona)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RUmqwK3Xdk

to Florida and working on it in the warm, then driving the Daytona back to Seattle?

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Don't be disappointed; catching up with old friends can be fun, but never underestimate the fun you can have with your new companion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DwKqCZlKnw&t=187s

Ride on

stone soup fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 28, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seminal Flu posted:

"Ran when parked." Still a far better choice than a 50 year old VW with a terrible unicorn fi system that has missing windows and has been exposed to the elements for an untold number of years.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but at this point we have yet to see it run or drive.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I like old VWs, but the Turbo will have better parts availability.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I want there to be more goony shenanigans, but I honestly don't know if either option is viable. The hitch situation is basically DOA, and both cars are likely in need of some real work to make it back to WA from Valentine, let alone orlando, if that's what it takes.

Dr. 16 spider glove minus ladder-rung - Do what makes sense for you, as much as we like to watch, if you need to get home, get home.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How much would it cost for sufficient breakdown cover to get the car and 14 back regardless of events?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Guys, we're making this too complicated. Surely enough people in this thread could just abuse AAA and tow-truck relay a vehicle to Seattle while 14 drives the truck to Florida and catches a flight home with the money saved by not paying for towing the car.

E: Along the way, between each segment of towing, first goon performs a diagnosis, next fixes the first problem, then the next fixes the next thing, and maybe by the time it gets to Seattle it'll be running.

EE: Also, replace all the text-to-voice strings in the ECU with lines from Fury Road.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 28, 2016

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

I also contributed to the fastback fun(d). I'm with others saying you need to make whatever choice is going to see you through the endgame. Losing the shelter of dannos house is a real game changer and you're three days away from that door closing. I'd be inclined to suggest you keep the cash Sims raised to keep you and thunderhorse moving if unforeseen circumstances arise on the road.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

I like old VWs, but the Turbo will have better parts availability.

You say that and literally the first part I asked for a price quote on is NLA discontinued lol

TPS BTW. Bbw ccq NSA TMZ afk

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

We're all also forgetting the cool old Eagle he has waiting for him back in Seattle. That money could buy a bunch of NLA Eagle parts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

14 BAR RIFF posted:

You say that and literally the first part I asked for a price quote on is NLA discontinued lol

Yes but the bell housing should accept any Mitsubishi 4 cylinder. I may be wrong there, but that's what I recalled.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Isn't it a Spirit and isn't it being held hostage?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fermented Tinal posted:

Isn't it a Spirit and isn't it being held hostage?

Yep camaro and the AMX were lost in the divorce due to the whole unemployment and being put in the name of the guy who used to be my best friend which ended when he called my bluff about this trip being more important than anything else

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

14 BAR RIFF posted:

what year is the mopar?

I didn't contribute because I had no idea this was happening, but I might have some things you need...

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

kastein posted:

what year is the mopar?

I didn't contribute because I had no idea this was happening, but I might have some things you need...

86 Daytona Turbo Z 5MT 2.2 Turbo

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Do you have a pic of the TPS you need

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Aren't most throttle "position sensors" of that era really just a switch for closed/not closed/full throttle?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Aren't most throttle "position sensors" of that era really just a switch for closed/not closed/full throttle?

Looks like this one:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

14 BAR RIFF posted:

86 Daytona Turbo Z 5MT 2.2 Turbo

85 per the VIN you sent me, but probably the same part. RA has them for $40 or so.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Unless there is something super special about it because of the turbo that part is on ebay for $7-40

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

Looks like this one:

Not quite

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

can you give us a part # or anything, people here to help

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I just can't stop this nagging thought, that you deserve a vehicle that is better than "ran when parked" (edit: and that is 1350 miles from home).

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 28, 2016

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
What are the chances of using the money to fix the Civic?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

everdave posted:

can you give us a part # or anything, people here to help

I don't see a part number on it but I'll look again

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

angryrobots posted:

I just can't stop this nagging thought, that you deserve a vehicle that is better than "ran when parked".

Yeah but give me too much money and I'm getting the Biturbo in Seattle and lmfao if you think that runs

QuarkMartial posted:

What are the chances of using the money to fix the Civic?

I could but if ibdont get signs of life out of the Daytona I go home Friday when Dan leaves because if we stick a few days in a motel like goons offered its a 4 mile walk to town almost and if the weather turns on foot it could easily become deadly

E: and strands everything I can't carry in Nebraska with no way to recover it

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 28, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fix trukk, drive to Florida, fly to Seattle, buy biturbo, slam dick in throttle linkages until ecstasy achieved.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

cakesmith handyman posted:

Fix trukk, drive to Florida, fly to Seattle, buy biturbo, slam dick in throttle linkages until ecstasy achieved.

But see I won't have it done by the time dan leaves and when he leaves I walk if I'm still here with no home to work out of this is a very pressing issue

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

angryrobots posted:

I just can't stop this nagging thought, that you deserve a vehicle that is better than "ran when parked" (edit: and that is 1350 miles from home).

To be honest, even though I had spent the money I could always "buy" my car back and Dave could use the money to then fix the civic or better, buy himself a ticket home so he can fly back instead of taking a bus back to the middle of nowhere (actually two hours away from nowhere since the bus doesn't come here) to an empty house and a car that "did run at one time".

I did have a dream where Dave finally made it back and I drove down to meet him as he picked up the Daytona. In a type 3 vw of course :v:

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

14 BAR RIFF posted:

But see I won't have it done by the time dan leaves and when he leaves I walk if I'm still here with no home to work out of this is a very pressing issue

YOU WILL FINISH THE TRUCK! THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I mean the pressing isssue here is the pedal and the registration and you can get some way to get the truck moving, technically you have a car because it doesn't seem like the cops in Valentine are really all that over zealous.

Or just put the van plate on it. It's good til June 17

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Why is it so wrong to rig up a handle throttle until the pedal arrives?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

At one point, several goons offered their flight miles to get Dave back home from Orlando. I don't recall who that was or if that offer still stands, but...if it does, then he could take the cash back home to use as he sees fit.

As always this is just a suggestion and I don't mean to speak out of turn, but I get the feeling that Dave feels obligated to get one of these cars running because that was the offer.

I have..LOL more money in this project than I want to think about (and I know from the time I handled donations for a time that some of you, including some that don't post in the thread have been VERY generous), and yet my opinion is that Dave need not feel obligated to generate more content.

He has done aplenty and if cash in hand and a ticket home are what he really wants or needs, then that's what I also want.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

Why is it so wrong to rig up a handle throttle until the pedal arrives?

Yeah, a running vehicle is a running vehicle. Giving Truckasaurus a handy to and from a motel for a day or three while waiting for parts doesn't seem THAT bad.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait, I'm confused on the truck.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

angryrobots posted:

As always this is just a suggestion and I don't mean to speak out of turn, but I get the feeling that Dave feels obligated to get one of these cars running because that was the offer.

I have..LOL more money in this project than I want to think about (and I know from the time I handled donations for a time that some of you, including some that don't post in the thread have been VERY generous), and yet my opinion is that Dave need not feel obligated to generate more content.

He has done aplenty and if cash in hand and a ticket home are what he really wants or needs, then that's what I also want.

+1 to all three of these points.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

angryrobots posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ5TsrnBLIU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

angryrobots posted:

At one point, several goons offered their flight miles to get Dave back home from Orlando. I don't recall who that was or if that offer still stands, but...if it does, then he could take the cash back home to use as he sees fit.

Yeah, I hear this. As far as I'm concerned this nutbag adventure is already a success.

• Locked thread