Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Bloody Destiny if anything feels low key in comparison to the original track, which is cool though a bit overly dramatic for how perfunctory a lot of the bosses in Persona 1 are.
On the other hand, it seems like a lot of people hate it but I think Lone Prayer is a quite good substitute for the original P1 battle theme. It manages to capture a very similar mood to the original P1 track while also capturing the dark mood of the game well. The opening section in particular. My only regret with that is that the Persona Awakening theme didn't make the cut in the PSP version.
The lyrics to Bloody Destiny feel like they switch from English to Japanese in mid-sentence but I can't make head or tail of any of it except a bit of the chorus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Item Getter posted:

On the other hand, it seems like a lot of people hate it but I think Lone Prayer is a quite good substitute for the original P1 battle theme. It manages to capture a very similar mood to the original P1 track while also capturing the dark mood of the game well. The opening section in particular. My only regret with that is that the Persona Awakening theme didn't make the cut in the PSP version.

My only problem with Lone Prayer is my problem with vocals in any common battle theme: no matter how good it is, you're gonna get drat tired of hearing it, even quicker than a battle theme without vocals. I played P1P so much around my mom that she can still sing Lone Prayer to this day. Well, that may just be a problem I have, though.

I think in general that while I love the PSP tracks, the soundtrack isn't as defined as the original. Many of the tracks sound like they were cut from P3 or P4 rather than standing on their own. On the other hand, the original PS1 soundtrack has a more distinct sound to it. There's times in my life where I've heard a song and thought, "Hey, that sounds like Persona 1," which the PSP soundtrack doesn't bring out as much.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Quick Question, about how long is this game for both routes in Hours and how long have you played?

Edit: Since this is my first time actually being around for a music chat, does anyone else ever just get through an entire game and just kinda go "....There was music in the game?".

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 21, 2017

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

MythosDragon posted:

Quick Question, about how long is this game for both routes in Hours and how long have you played?

Hmmm, I'd say both routes it about 40 to 60 hours, though it's hard for me to tell because the PSP version does the strange thing of also counting hours spent in sleep mode (so my total time on my original copy is something like 150 hours despite not playing nearly that long). The file I'm using for this LP is currently clocked in at 15 hours.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Item Getter posted:

Where does that get used?

It's in Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. I can't quite confirm as it never came over stateside :argh:; but the track is in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Le5bJDVKU

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

PeaceDiner posted:

My only problem with Lone Prayer is my problem with vocals in any common battle theme: no matter how good it is, you're gonna get drat tired of hearing it, even quicker than a battle theme without vocals. I played P1P so much around my mom that she can still sing Lone Prayer to this day. Well, that may just be a problem I have, though.

P5 isn't even out yet in America and I already have the main battle theme memorized. To say nothing of P4's own (in)famous battle themes.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

PeaceDiner posted:

I honestly think that either my brain was broken to begin with or Persona 1 did it, but I do not get tired of Lone Prayer. I really like it and School Days, Dream of Butterfly too, but I understand that I'm crazy

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Speaking of music, I apologize if the next update is a bit late. There are some tracks from the PS1 game which don't appear on any official soundtrack releases nor on the ripped PSF files (or if they do then I'm a dummy who can't locate them), so I'm going through and just recording them off of the game itself. Sorry about that!

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Dedication is good, but try not to burn out, I really want to see how this goes.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Alright, two PS1 tracks have been added to previous updates. Since they have no official names as far as I can tell, I had to make do with sorta dumb generic names. Oh well.

Factory Noises
Underground

Other than that, a new update is coming in a second.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 9 - Bullying intervention

School Days
Dungeon - Ice Castle

We need to chase after Maki, but why not take the time to see what else has changed in the school?

Huh. There's no hole here.
Student: Why does that girl keep attacking the school? Does she have some kinda grudge?
Male student: Doesn't that girl in black look like someone we know?

It's also a good idea to head to the infirmary, where we can save and heal ourselves.

Ooh, it's Nurse Natsumi!
Ah, Ms. Saeko. It feels as though we haven't seen you in a while.

She's... She's all depressed...! H-Huh? Hey, what's wrong, Ms. Saeko? And don't just say you overate again!
Even Ms. Saeko is acting strangely...

...Let's just move on to the principal's office, shall we?

Don't tell me that girl in black showed up again!
No, that's not it. But who's this girl in black you mentioned...?
You haven't heard about her, Kei? A girl in black clothes has been appearing... It only started happening recently. They say she controls demons.
Whoa... there are demons over here, too...?
But don't worry! Principal Ooishi and I will protect you children!
Wh... What the hell!? Why's Hamya bein' so nice to us!? U-Um, we gotta get goin'!

There's far less people hanging around school compared to the last time we were here, but a few classrooms have students inside.

Why don't you get one, too? Oh... I suppose that's impossible for you, hmm? It would cost quite a bit of money, after all. So sorry.

...That was Yuko, right? Am I seein' things? Did she used to be like that...?
Oh my, Nanjo. Are you still mingling with that sort?
...It's not as though I enjoy it.
"That sort"? Is she talkin' about us?

But then why does it anger me so to hear others say it...? What on earth...? Did your dinner disagree with you, Yuko?
Whaddaya mean, "that sort"!?
Yes? What is it? Don't speak to me without a good reason!
Female student: Everyone loves Maki and everyone hates Yuko. But oddly enough, they're friends.
Male student: I can't stand Yuko! Why is Maki still friends with her, anyway?

Male student: Chisato, on the other hand, never won anything. Plus she got taken by the girl in black... She's got some seriously bad luck.
Female student: Maki was good friends with Chisato. She must be awfully worried.
Chisato Kasai... So she's missing here, too. The fates must have it in for her...
Man, I forget sometimes what a good painter Maki is.

Student council member: He's supposedly trying to be like one of the past presidents... Yama-something.
Student council member: Our president's really into it. It makes us feel like we should try just as hard.
Student council member: What are these fools thinking, passing me over as president!? I dreamed of going down in St. Hermelin history as a perfect council president!!
Heh, guy got what he deserved! The one before had big plans, but did diddly squat.
So someone else is president here... A wise decision. Though it doesn't seem as though there was a new election...

With everybody else talked to, the group heads to Class 2-5 in search of Maki.

Daily Life
Conversation - Generic 1

I didn't think I'd see people from the original world here!

What? Oh, don't tell me... Are you Yosuke Naito? The guy who went missing?
Yeah, that's me! About two months ago, Chisato... She and I wandered into this world. I'm from the same place you are!
You said, "this world." Then this isn't the past, but another dimension, or another world, yes?
Yeah. I thought it was the past too, at first. Everything here is exactly the same as it was a year ago. Some things are weird, though. The police station turned into a forest, and the hospital is a castle... And Maki there was just like you see her. Yeah... It was practically a paradise... Until last month.

The "many worlds" theory, where countless similar worlds exist.
Seriously? We thought you ran off with Chisato, but you were in another world? I want to say that's completely nuts... But then again, we're in the same boat.
It's hard to believe, but it isn't out of the question for the Deva System...
Yeah, I can see that... I didn't think you'd bring back this world's Maki, though.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! You're saying... Maki really is Maki, but not the one we know?

I wasn't trying to lie... I just wasn't sure until I got back here. I never even thought there was another world, let alone that I'd go over to it.
I see. No wonder your words and actions seemed amiss...
I was dozing off in class, and when I woke up, I was in another world. I didn't figure it out until much later.
Oh, man... Then the real Maki is still somewhere in that hospital... Couldn't you have at least said something, uh... Maki?
I'm sorry, I really am. But if I did mention it, would you have believed me? I just thought if we beat Kandori, both worlds would go back to normal... That's why I figured I'd wait until it was all over to tell you.
Hmmm... So does that mean Chisato's still with that brat in black?
Ugh... I was with her, too... Dammit!

Tension

The conversation is interrupted by a huge tremor that rattles the windows and shakes the floor.

I took away the exits! Now no one can escape! Ahahahahahahaha...!
There's no mistaking that voice... It's that girl! Did she say she removed the exits!? If demons show up now, we'll be slaughtered! Dammit... I gotta go!
Wait, Yosuke! Don't strain yourself! Everyone... give me a hand. We have to do something!
I'm not sure what's goin' on here, but at this rate, we can't go outside.

There's no use sitting around and worrying over this! We gotta take action and find a way back home.
What sort of relationship does that girl have with Kandori? There's too little data to draw a useful conclusion...
That girl must be somewhere in the school! Don't let your guard down just because she's a kid. She has strange powers...
Dammit! If only I wasn't so banged up, I could get Chisato back this time... Huh? My wounds? Oh... The last time that little girl was here, she kicked my rear end... Man, talk about pathetic!

Let Butterflies Spread Until The Dawn
Dungeon - Distorted School

Apart from sealing off the exits, the girl in black has also transformed the school's layout

Luckily for us, the Velvet Room and infirmary are located right nearby.

I don't know what to do... I'm in a real fix. Right, Ms. Saeko?
I thought she'd at least speak up at a time like this... But she's still down.

The school is sectioned off into different areas, seemingly in different dimensions. A few rooms have scared students in them, which Maki takes the time to reassure, as well as students with some more savory information.

Are you saying there's another one like her, then?
Student: I think so. Well... it's a forest now, but remember what used to be the flower garden? I saw her playing there.
Uhh, if this forest used to be a flower garden... I don't get this town at all.
A forest? Hmmm... Yosuke did say that a forest had replaced the police station.
The police station is where we went to rescue Masao and Hidehiko, right? Now that you mention it, that is the area where it should be... It was a beautiful flower garden. I was surprised to see it become a forest.

Student: Hey, are you really Naoya?
Hey, we should hurry and get going! We have to go... See you!

Though we had been on the second floor, the transformed St. Hermelin has us back on the first floor.

Another classroom, probably just some more scared students...

Argh!

We get our first taste of pitfalls, which will send you spiraling back down to a floor before. The party heads back up to the second floor and enters the room this time.

Confrontation
Rage (Reiji's Theme)

Whoa! Are you okay!? Alright, demon, hold it right there!
Demon: Ah, more have arrived. My fists thirst for blood this night... I shall grow flowers of blood to my heart's content.
Yo, man, it's dangerous! Step back! W-Wait, are you... Are you Reiji!?
You guys? Stay back... This one's mine.
Demon: Mm... a feisty child. In acknowledgement of your bravado, I'll kill you first. Regret your inexperience in Hell!

A Lone Prayer
Awakening Legend (Battle - Awakening)

Without missing a beat, Reiji summons his Persona - Bres, king of the Tuatha Dé Danann who was beautiful to behold but harsh and inhospitable.

Daily Life
Rage (Reiji's Theme)

What? Then you can all...?
That seems to be the case. By the way... You appear to be the real Reiji.
What's that mean?
This place isn't your world. I don't know how else to explain it.
Kandori sent us here, to an alternate world. I take it you met the same fate. That scientist mentioned a young man sent through the dimensional rift... You, I presume? So why are you here, safe and sound? Why are you pursuing Kandori?

When I came to, I was here. That's all... You don't need to know the rest.
A child wearing white...?
C'mon, drop the hotshot act. We're gonna smack Kandori around and find a way back. You should come. I bet your mom's worried about you.
What? That bastard's here, too...!? Alright... I'll go with you.
It's decided, then! Nice to meet you, Reiji! I'm Maki Sonomura!
What, is something on my face? Oh, I get it! You were admiring me. Well, I am pretty cute! It's only natural!

Mark pushes himself in front of Reiji, trying to block him from Maki's view.

Huh? Whaddaya mean, what's got me so pissed off? Shuddup, dude!
You're asking me why Reiji is after Kandori? Mm... we'll find out eventually. For now, it's enough that our goals dovetail.
Reiji said a child wearing white rescue him, right? Could that have been Mai...? I've seen her several times, but she's a very mysterious girl...
That Maki girl... I don't think this is the first time we've met. Who is she...?

And with that, we now have our fifth and final party member! Reiji is what many people consider to be the biggest damage-dealer in the game, as his fists are accurate and have a drat good critical hit rate, while his gun has good range and does multiple hits. Even without a Persona, he has a high Strength stat that surpasses Mark's, and with a Persona he's even better. His best Arcana is Death, an Arcana whose Personas deal mostly in physical and death skills.

His conversation options are typical of his appearance, except for the last one which reveals one of his hobbies.

Magic tricks! Who knew demons would be so smitten with simple sleight of hand.

After getting Reiji, the party continues on back down to the first floor.

While many enemies in the game are more common demons and mythological figures, the school has a few more interesting additions. There's two different toilet spirits, Bukimi and Hanako from the Japanese urban legends.

Dribblers are spirits who just wanna kick back and play some b-ball.

Anatomy models have managed to find new life as well.

Lastly there's Carrie, named after the Stephen King character. Her name was, for some reason, changed to Karen for the PS1 localization.

Right before we head to the courtyard to confront the black-dressed girl, we stop by the Velvet Room to fuse two new Personas.

First is Ogma, an Irish deity who is one of the trí dée dána (or three gods of skill). He's an early source of Dekunda, which will nullify all stat debuffs that the enemy throws at you.

Second is Lilim, daughters of the succubi queen Lilith who tempt men and kidnap children. She specializes in inflicting ailments, and is useful throughout the entire game due to her absorption of all elemental magic.

Now then, to the courtyard we go.

BLACK KID (Aki's Theme)

The party approaches her.

No way, Jose! I don't listen to anybody but my Daddy! Try and stop me, flatty!
Flat--!? Oh, that does it! What a little brat!

Maki assumes a fighting position, ready for a battle.

Cool it, Maki... She's just a kid. You gotta have patience with--
Shuddup, monkeyboy! Ook ook, eek eek, it's a monkeyboy!
What did you call me, you spoiled brat!?
Calm down, monkeyman.
Nanjo, you jerk! You're next!
Geez, won't you shut up!? Now would be a good time... for you to die here!

...You'd all better snap out of it, or it'll be your funeral.
Get them, Tesso!

:siren: Boss - Tesso :siren:

Battle With Tesso
Child Abuse (Battle - Tesso)

I highly recommend checking out the music for this battle..

What the hell IS this thing!?
Awww... it's adorable!

After Maki makes her comment, Tesso attempts to unload a case of bullets into Naoya but misses.

Tesso (known as Robo Rat in Revelations) is a demonic spirit who was borne from the Buddhist monk Raigo after he died during a hunger strike. Unlike Takeda, he really isn't messing around and specializes in Gravity, Nuclear, and Rush attacks.

He can use both the medium-strength one-target Gravity attack Gryva as well as the all-target Gravity attack Magry.

Also within his arsenal is the Rush attack Stun Bite which damages a single party member and potentially inflicts paralysis. He can also inflict Blind with Delyte.

His big "screw you" move is Megido, an all-target Nuclear attack that can knock a big chunk of HP off of everybody and turn a winning battle into a losing one pretty quickly.

His weaknesses are Rush and Electricity, but failing that he's also vulnerable to swords, spears, and axes. If you can manage to stay on your toes and keep up with healing and maybe knock him down a peg or two with debuffs, then you'll do fine.

Daily Life
Child Abuse (Intro)

Daddy's REAL strong! You guys won't stand a chance!

Aww...! She got away again.
...Who is that girl...?

The group huddles around Yosuke, waiting for some good news.

Yeah! The school's back to normal, thanks to you guys.
Don't worry about it.
I really can't thank you guys enough. By the way... I want you to meet someone. Would you mind coming with me?
Why?
There's a guy who's helped me out since I came here. He actually believed me... He's investigating the two worlds... Maybe he's figured something out by now.
Wow, I'm kinda surprised someone took you seriously. Who is this guy?
Uh... you'll see. Alright, I'll be waiting at the library.

Yosuke hobbles off back through the door.

Wanna go after him, Reiji?
Man! You really don't know how to play along. You gotta take it easy, y'know?
...Leave me alone...
Whatever you say, man. Alright, let's get going, Naoya.

Jeez Mark, don't you know how to talk to people? Here, just watch Naoya.

...Well, we'll get there eventually.

That girl referred to Kandori as her father, but is she really his child? This is the first I've heard of him having a daughter.
That Reiji jerk sure acts strange around people. Hey, let's you and me do something about it.
I wonder if he's the one Yosuke means... If so, he'll definitely be at the library.

PeaceDiner fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 22, 2017

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
What Order did they make the Dribblers? ...There's no way it'd be Foul, right?

lightace
Jul 13, 2016
I meant to post this a while ago, but I just want to say I'm super duper excited to finally see an LP of this! I know 3 and 4 almost forward and back but know next to nothing about 1 or 2!

Also, my favorite demon ever is definitely

Gotta love that toilet ghost.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Son Ryo posted:

What Order did they make the Dribblers? ...There's no way it'd be Foul, right?

Nah, Dribbler is Spirit (as are the toilet ghosts).

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Just caught up with the LP. I've read a summary of the original localization explaining most of what happens in this game (at least in the SEBEC route) but I'm already noticing tons of tiny details I wasn't aware of. For example, I knew Nanjo was a prick but not that he was this much of a jackass. Too bad the little girl never insults him, would've been nice to see him react to it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
...I kind of wish the modern SMT demon designer could make a (non-altered) illustration of Bres, cause DAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNN does that Persona look dapper in that coat.

So, what's Reiji's stat spread like? Caster? Physical attacker? Speedy? Tanky?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Meeting Reiji there is my last memory of the game, I took Elly though.

Dribblers are by far my favorite monster in the series now, please be back for 5, in glorious HD. We dont even need Vilk to show up and fanart it, its already canon.

Does it do anything cool with the multiverse? I love that kind of thing, but its usually never really done cool, the best we ever get is the Hanya being a nice guy or something.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

In the early 20's, there are some terrific personae and some not so good personae. I would like to talk about some of them; stopping at the 25 mark as since Ogma was what was summoned, I'm presuming that's as high as he gets for now.

And before my :words:, I'd like to say that evil, hula-dancing toilets are absolutely hilarious to fight against and one of the few things that really stuck out to me in this entire game.

Lovers arcana persona in this game are all low-leveled persona specializing in Luck (Pixie can outright shoot your luck stat to the moon) and one element. They're all utterly forgettable and this one is no exception. Yoma and Jirae are your optimal choice for fusion with them. He's not bad if you need a fire-starter as fire is a nice strength to have; but keep in mind his weakness to all the secondary elements.

Lilim is one of two Moon Arcanum persona. These personae are surprisingly defensive but their key defensive trait is that they absorb all magic except for holylight and are weak to almost all forms of attack. This is a godsend at this stage in the game considering you're really likely to get blasted for dark instead of light magic. Don't mind the physical weakness. Provided you keep up with armor, physical attacks will not kill you. The two drawbacks to this arcana is the lack of real offensive presence and the spell card fusions for making them tend to be underwhelming when making them alone. Feel free to get a blue circle fusion (Raptor and Grave) with them and throw in a stone of your choice.

Janus is one I'm TOTALLY surprised you didn't make. Alternate between Eternal White and Eternal Black and you're guaranteed a nuke every time. He's got fantastic elemental coverage and he's VERY easy to fuse with Jaki and Jirae or Grave and Foul cards for a blue arrow fusion. He hits hard and returns for Masao's Mandau spoon. This axe jumps his attack power from Guten Tag's ~45 to a 181. He's not getting another good axe until the endgame. The only drawback to him is more present on Persona's hard mode in that SP doesn't regenerate as fast, so you may need to start carrying around SP regenerating items. Use him and use him well; then return him when he's done.

This is one of three early game personae that should only be made if you bought the respective totema at the casino in the first world. He's not too bad. He'll blast the poo poo out of everything with ice magic and a good fusion gets you some high power with it; much like Urvashi. He actually absorbs physical attacks, like an inverse moon arcana; but the tradeoff is that unlike absorbing magic which is the bee's knees; absorbing physical isn't as helpful as you'd like it to be. Still, he's drat good on Bufula and Mabufula alone.

Sun arcana persona. There was one before this one, but he sucked in terms of defensive ability and timing of arrival (bad to have a gun weak persona at a time when guns are flying everywhere). Sun arcana persona are fast. God damned fast. Like, even Masao will be going first in combat if given one of these. If you can stop laughing at the fact that your other self is a giant chokey chicken, Vidofnir is pretty nifty. They're easy to fuse up and I'd use a Cath Palug monster to get Baeiha for rank 2 or Divine (Angel) + Raptor class + Bullets for a regular Vidolfnir with a high speed Media at rank 2. Vidofnir returns for a Papageno which is a decent bow for Maki not for raw power's sake; but a good chance to inflict charm status. It's worth putting him on Reiji, Masao or Nanjo if they're dragging their feet in trying to gain EXP in a battle.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Man I know got past this but I somehow completely blanked the robot rat out of my memory which is honestly baffling

people need to respect Nanjo, he's The #1 Man In Japan

lightace posted:

I meant to post this a while ago, but I just want to say I'm super duper excited to finally see an LP of this! I know 3 and 4 almost forward and back but know next to nothing about 1 or 2!

Also, my favorite demon ever is definitely

Gotta love that toilet ghost.
Hanako-san is great, but i gotta give it to those ghosts that came back just to play some b-ball

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
The best thing is that the basketball and toilet enemies get some unique lines during contacting.
This is the sort of wackiness I miss a little in modern Persona

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
It was usually about now that I'd try and get a Gozu-Tennoh (US Vortek) because someone decided it was a smart idea to give a level 18 Persona Megidola.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Oh, that reminds me. Would it be okay (for archival purposes) for me to put together compilation posts with your Persona analysis? As I've stated before, I'm really not the best at games and am mostly doing this LP to show off the story and characters, but I know a lot of people would also be interested in hearing about strategy, and I think you're doing a fantastic job of talking about all the different Persona.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the second boss has megido. is it not as good as in other games?

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

the second boss has megido. is it not as good as in other games?

It's been a while since I've played, but it's a typed damage in this game, which IIRC means it can be resisted.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Megido's actually really loving good, it's just the second boss using it is more of the game's way of saying "hey, stop dragging your feet already and win the fight."

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Nephrite posted:

It was usually about now that I'd try and get a Gozu-Tennoh (US Vortek) because someone decided it was a smart idea to give a level 18 Persona Megidola.

Gozu-Tennoh is so powerful when together with Phaleg I literally beat the PS1 game with him.

An extremely dirty secret: pretty much absolutely everything that's strong against Nuclear just so happens to be weak to things Phaleg is packing... or just being beaten in the face with a sword.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I didn't get much farther than this but I do remember that Lilim is batshit crazy good.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

PeaceDiner posted:

Oh, that reminds me. Would it be okay (for archival purposes) for me to put together compilation posts with your Persona analysis? As I've stated before, I'm really not the best at games and am mostly doing this LP to show off the story and characters, but I know a lot of people would also be interested in hearing about strategy, and I think you're doing a fantastic job of talking about all the different Persona.

Go right ahead! I'm just excited to be able to share stuff about this game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

FriskyBoat posted:

It's been a while since I've played, but it's a typed damage in this game, which IIRC means it can be resisted.

interesting, i'm not sure i like that but i assume theres an actual almighty damage analogue

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

interesting, i'm not sure i like that but i assume theres an actual almighty damage analogue

Come to think of it; not really. I think there are 4 spells that are closest you get to almighty attacks are binal strike which takes out the caster as well. Also Pandora's Butterfly Storm counts as one as well.Thirdly, there is Hieroglyphien, which we don't even see until late game and finally an occasional persona hidden ability that can rarely come up.

Tactless Ogre fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 29, 2017

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 10 - Mirror, mirror

Now that the whole Tesso situation is resolved, let's make sure everybody's still doing alright.

But I hear you rescued us, so thanks very much!
She's... She's so despondent...!

...Hmph. I like her better now that she's not so loud.
I'm sure Yukino would be shocked to see Ms. Saeko this way.
We might be better off with this one. She won't make us do push-ups as punishment.

And of course it wouldn't do to move on without checking in with our dear principal.

Thank goodness... But what was that? From what I can tell, the school's layout has been shaken up...
Don't worry! We'll protect you!
Did you hear that, Ms. Ooishi!? So considerate of her... It can only be the result of the stellar education you provide!
Oh, no, no, Hanya. It's due to your guidance!
...I can't take this much longer. Let's go, Naoya!

Indeed. With those two done, we head on up to the library to meet with Yosuke's patron.

Strange Atmosphere
Child Abuse (Intro)

It seems you're having a unique experience... I'm rather jealous.

...Are you really Tsutomu? Dude... He's talking like a normal person!
Hm.... the me on the other side must be an odd duck indeed. I'd like to meet him.

We heard you're investigating the two worlds. What are your thoughts thus far?
The things in this world seem to be unrelated... But they are all connected by the strings of fate. The same holds true for the black door that suddenly appeared. Only those who can draw on that strength may learn the truth. Unfortunately... that does not seem to be my role.
Our coming here was inevitable. Which means... it's on us to solve everything.
I don't know who spun the thread, but that's a helpful way to think of it. Now, name this man you pursue who holds the string's end.

Hm. Exactly the name I expected. In truth, I knew beforehand that these incidents would occur... thanks to the prophecy of a certain monkey-suited gentleman at the shrine.
Monkey-suited!? There's nothing gentle about monkeys!
Will someone shut this dumb ape up!?
Look who's talking, bib boy!
...What a bunch of children.

Y-yes... He said his name was Philemon, but... should we do something about them?
Oh, it's fine. Just ignore them, they're always like that! Naoya, let's try our luck at the Alaya Shrine. I've met that man before too... Maybe he knows where Kandori is!
The Alaya Shrine is right where it was in our world. Find a way home. And... if you happen to see Chisato, save her for me. I'm begging you...

Though you're a rather unruly crowd...
For heaven's sake! Thanks to this idiot, I forgot what I was going to ask!
Dammit! I'll settle this, just you wait!
...I told you to leave me alone.
This door... I don't like the way it feels...

You're curious too, I see. This door appeared during the incident last month. I've tried everything, but it won't budge. Though if the threads of fate lead there, even this door must open.

Alright, that's our next objective set. Time to bust outta here.

The school troubles have been settled for now, but...
I got no business at a school. I just wanna hurry and kill that bastard.
The town's probably pretty different from your town, too!

City 2 - Accident

While the layout has stay relatively the same, there's a few things that are different in this Mikage-cho. The biggest is the gargantuan wall on the right side that spans as far across the city as we can see. The residents have also changed, but the party heads to the shrine first.

Strange Atmosphere
Conversation - Generic 1

But this world's Tsutomu seemed reliable...

What's that? Say, Masao... isn't that butterfly...?
Could this be one of his traps...? One false move and I'll catch it and crush it.
No... I... feel faint...!

Like last time, the screen flashes white and black as the butterfly flits about. Y'know Philemon, we've really got stop meeting like this.

:siren: Scene - The Expel Mirror :siren:

How are you, friends? Just as you thought, this world is a counterfeit of your own. It is this world where Kandori's ambitions lie. If you pursue him, you will eventually discover the nature of this world and how to return to your home world. Kandori has made his fortress on the east side of town, where he is searching for something. Should it fall into his hands, there will be no tomorrow for either world.

You must stop Kandori. The first step is to use the subway terminal to reach the east side of town. But, the gate has a guardian. Look for the Expel Mirror.

Space
Conversation - Generic 1

He said there's a demon in the subway. And this, uh... Exp... Expel...?
The Expel Mirror. He said if we have it, we can cross to the east side. Kandori evidently wasn't satisfied with simply overtaking our town... But I'll teach him that his brand of greed will be his ruin.
But I've never even heard of this "Expel Mirror" before...
Hm... I feel as though I've heard that name somewhere... What do you think, Naoya?

I know I've heard of that mirror before... it's on the tip of my tongue.
The wall dividing this town is new. We used to be able to go across town.
Why don't you think for yourself instead of relying on others?

Reiji's just embarrassed 'cause he doesn't know where the mirror is either. Don't worry, Naoya's got your back! Before that, though, let's take a lot around town, starting with the Himeno Mansion.

I'm afraid they're not accessible to the public. So they're not stolen, you see.
Why would you care about that stuff? What, you think we're thieves?
My, is that how it came across? I didn't mean that at all. It sounds as though you have an inferiority complex.

...I'll be waiting outside.
Yuko! That's so rude! Apologize to them.
But Maki... You're my friend! These people are just... just...
Sheesh, Yuko... Oh, well. C'mon, everyone, let's go.
Maki, won't you come in for some tea? I have an extra serving of cake that our own personal patisserie baked. I'm sure my brothers would be delighted to see you, too!
Yuko... All right. I'll stop by with everyone next time.
...How dull.

Across the way, another familiar face shows up in an familiar place.

You're not debt collectors, are you? 'Cause there's no money here! Those ruins I was countin' on didn't have any treasure, so there goes my business!

Business? What sort of business were you conducting in the ruins?
Sheesh, Nanjo! Kaneda's a ruin raider.
Ruin raiding...? No one actually does that. You're not a kid, Maki, so cut it out with that stuff.
But that's what everyone says...
Hey, that reminds me... There was a rumor about how that old lady got so rich... About a year back, people were sayin' it was 'cause she went around raidin' ruins. You believed that stuff, Maki? But then again... you are a different Maki.
Will you shut your yap!? If you got no business with me, scram!

After getting the boot, the party heads to the last building in the ward, the Yin&Yan store.

Something seems a little...different.

No matter how many times I come here, I'm never gonna get used to that. It's so weird bein' asked, "What weapon would you like?" with a smile.
The weapons here are strictly for dealing with demons. No wonder the police aren't needed.
What's with this store? All these mags are a year old.

Young man: Is there a tree-planting campaign on?
Area man: There was a girl who used to play in that flower patch all the time. I wonder what she's been up to since the place turned into a forest. Huh? Black clothes? No, she was a cute little girl in white clothes.
The girl in white clothes must be little Mai.

The Expel Mirror is hiding somewhere in the north side of town, but why not stop and do some shopping at Mikage Sun Mall first?

First I stop off at the Velvet Room and fuse Illuyanka, the Hittite god of storm who ruled the sea but was slayed by Tarhunz. He's weak to elements but strong against physical and comes packed with Gravity, Rush, and Nuclear attacks. I put him on Reiji.

The Sennen Mannen-Do now has two merchants available. The first sells the same items as the other store, but the second one provides a new service.

Instead of using money, Khamenturun wants gems and in return will give you items or incense. Items include both helpful healing items as well as skill stones used in Persona fusion. Incense permanently boosts a character's stat by one and can also be used to boost stats during Persona fusion. You need to watch out, though, since what gems he wants for each incense changes depending on the phase of the moon.

Don't let them trick you into buying anything that seems suspicious.
The clerks are suspicious... but their stock is even more suspicious.
Y'know, I've been wondering about the relationship between those two...
That's a cute mask! I want to hang it up in my room.
Area man: There've been more demons lately, I've noticed. But they seem different from the demons that girl in black had with her.

A cute girl transferred into his class, and he can't stand the sight of her. Hm? Oh, yes, medicine... right.
Woo! I'm Mr. Frog! Ribbit, ribbit! Just kidding. Quit looking so grim! Let's do this with a smile, man!
I'm not tired or anything. I just wanna hurry up and go.
Area man: Until lately, we just had to look out for demons when the girl in black showed up. But now I'm nervous... They've been roaming around without the girl..
Little girl: Everyone's scared of the demons, but I don't think we need to worry. I just have this feeling that they won't attack us.
Demons that ignore humans...? But clearly, they've attacked us. Could they be choosing their targets? Inconceivable...
The demons only really started getting bad here a little while ago. But even then, there hasn't been much talk of them attacking people.

Are they complete idiots? There's no way everything can be fun and games!
Naoya... Do you also think things are fine as long as you enjoy each day? Would you idle away the hours, never knowing what lurks behind that peace?

Oh jeez Nanjo, don't say stuff like that to people playing video games. Or people sitting on the internet reading through other people playing video games, for that matter.

High school girl: I'm gonna get a place by the plasma wall. The night view is awesome out there.
Wouldn't you wanna live somewhere like Shibuya or Daikanyama?
High school girl: Daikan-what? I don't get it. Well, whatever. I like this town, so I'm gonna stay here.
I've heard of Shibuya, but what's Daikanyama? Is that a place? There's a city called that in your world? Huh...
Daikanyama is pretty small compared to Shibuya... But it's been in a bunch of magazines lately. These girls oughtta know it.

The Rosa Candida has changed into an armor store. I wonder if they'd sell me that mohawk the mannequin in the back is wearing...

I'm not picky, but if they have any armor with "#1" markings... Mm, probably not. Never mind...
My mom has the worst fashion sense! Last time she went shopping, she got me a t-shirt with a huge airbrushed wolf. Where in the world does she find this stuff!? Oh... uh... Not that I'm worried about my mom or anything. Don't get me wrong.
I don't give a crap what I wear. Can we hurry this up?

Obviously.

Area woman: I'm lucky to be able to live in a town this amazing. But when things get TOO amazing, it makes people nervous. You start wondering if it's all a dream that'll end when you wake up.
I don't get that lady... She says she gets nervous when things are too nice. I think it's wonderful when things are nice every day! Don't you?

Now then, all this shopping is making me hungry. Maybe Mark can finally give us that all-you-can-eat lunch at Peace Diner that he promised?

Alright then. Rather than offering a service, Peace Diner is just a restaurant you can hang out at where at least one of your party members will remind you of your current goal.

What, no burgers or fries or shakes at all? Lame! What's that clerk talkin' all big for when they have nothin' to sell!?
It won't do to be too hasty. In the end, going one step at a time is quickest.
It's nice coming here. I feel like I'm back to being a normal high schooler.
Area man: I accidentally ran smack into a demon yesterday... But just when I was sure it was staring right at me, it walked away. It was like... it was looking for someone in particular.

So, after a nice shopping trip, Naoya leads them to the location of the Expel Mirror - Mikage-cho's Hisotrical Society, nestled at the top of the first ward.

Strange Atmosphere
Door, Frozen Shut

Here it is! This must be the Expel Mirror!

.....! What the...!?
Girl's voice: Don't take this... You shouldn't... You shouldn't...

Just as mysteriously as it appeared, the girl's image disappears.

It looked like a little girl's face, but she was saying not to take "this." Did she mean the Expel Mirror?
Who gives a drat? We gotta have it, or else.
That face just now... It looked like Mai...

As gently as he can, Mark slips the mirror from its resting place and brings it to the front of the room.

We can fight the monster in the subway once we have this, right?

With that all settled, the party heads down into the depths of the subway.

Kama Palace
Invasion (Dungeon - Subway)

The subway's interior hasn't changed much since we went down it to find Elly back in our world, but the layout has become considerably longer and twisted.

The walls are plastered with advertisements, with the second set advertising the Devil Summoner game and strategy guide.

This dungeon introduces us to moving panels, as seen by the arrows on the mini-map. These panels will simply move you in the direction indicated. Didn't want to go that way? Too bad, now you are.

Confrontation
Dead Line (Monster Intro)

Yog-Sothoth Jr.: But you cannot pass... until you have defeated me...
I knew it was gonna say that! Let's do this, Naoya!
Now's not the time to bitch and moan. If we don't beat this thing, we'll never get out hands on that bastard!

:siren: Boss - Yog-Sothoth Jr. :siren:

Bloody Destiny
Dead Line (Mid-Boss Battle)

Shaddup!

Our opponent this time is Yog-Sothoth Jr. Yog-Sothoth himself is a Lovecraftian cosmic entity who knows all and sees all, but who exactly is Yog-Sothoth Jr.? The most plausible explanation is that he's the offspring of Yog-Sothoth and the deity Shub-Niggurath, as they were believed to have mated. Seeing as he begins battle by screaming their names, it's likely.

So, Yog is sorta a cool-down boss after Tesso. His main specialty is the medium-damage Electric attack Sanraigeki, which can also potentially shock any party member who gets hit with it. He also has the potential to freeze people with his medium-damage Ice attack Mighty Wave. Other than those moves, he can put people to sleep with the ailment-inducing Dormina.

Yog is the first boss to start messing around with debuffs, as he can cast Tarunda (attack down) and Sukuna (hit rate down). Having a Persona with Dekunda handy to dispel the debuffs is a good idea, but not super necessary for beating Yog.

He's also the first boss to absorb or repel elements - Ice and Electric, respectively. He still has plenty of weaknesses, though, taking double damage from Nuclear, Gravity, Blast, and Sword. Most of the people in my party had at least one skill that could hit him hard, so he goes down in a measly three turns.

Yog-Sothoth Jr.: N'grkdl'lh... You who have defeated me... My master would be pleased to see it is you who vanquished me. Now go...

What a dumb monster! How could it let them win?

BLACK KID (Aki's Theme)

Up ahead is where I live. If you go in there, I'll never let you out!
We're still going in, you realize. We absolutely must defeat Kandori.
I won't let you! If you go in there, I'll trap you inside!
You dumb kid... We're not gonna fall for the same trick twice! You better start behavin', or we'll really punish you.
I'm not dumb! Watch, I came up with a really fun game! You'll fight a cute girl in it... Wait and see!

And just like that, she's gone again.

The demon that was here before mentioned its "master"... Did it mean Aki, or...?
That Aki is so full of herself... I'll give her a good scolding next time!
You're not taking the stuff that brat said seriously, are you?
Alright, let's get back topside and look for Kandori!

City 2 - Darkness

The east side of Mikage-cho is looking quite a bit worse for wear - other than the wall, it's also plagued with a thick black mist. Broken roads are strewn about, so the only way to get to the next ward is through the Black Market.

Dark Shopping District (Black Market)

Well, this place doesn't look too bad.

Let's stop by the local Peace Diner to get some info.

Strange Atmosphere
Bar Attacked by Harem Queen

This stale air... Smells like the windows here haven't been opened for a month.

Pink-afroed man: ...Yesss! A straight!
Red-afroed man: We must look sad to you, huh? Yep... The Harem Queen's our only salvation! ...Hah! Full house!
Orange-afroed woman: Teeheee... I'm what you'll end up as. You'll understand sooner or later!
Afroed drunk: Huhhh...? Are you guysh from outshide? Pishes me off... I remember now... I remember the outshide... Waaaah! Nrrrrgh... Wanna go outshide...

We share a fate... What's the use of this bickering? None so long as we loyally serve our Harem Queen!

This must be what that brat referred to. It seems we've been locked in again.
I wonder what this Harem Queen is like...
"Harem Queen"? Heh... funny stuff.
Orange-afroed woman: You're not going to wear moles? Wearing moles like the Queen's is all the rage now.
Downcast woman: A labyrinth of sadness forgotten in the oubliette of time... Only alcohol dulls my suffering. Dammit... that fricking bitch! She took all the decent-looking men! I wanna go to the harem too!
Pink-afroed man: You wanna meet the Harem Queen? The entrance is by the casino, but I warn you: you don't wanna piss her off.
Red-afroed man: I'll tell you one thing. Whatever you do, say nice things about the Queen's painting. If you don't...
Afroed drunk: *urrrrp* Yer painting'sh aweshome, Queen... Can I go home now?

Such is the decree of the Harem Queen, this market's mistress. You must make every effort to curry the Queen's favor.
Let's go to the palace. We gotta hurry, man! We don't have any time to waste playing along with this Queen's stupid rules.
Masao's right. Let's go meet this Queen! We can ask her to let us out of here.

So it's off to the Queen's palace we go. Because if we don't...

...there'll be no escape.

PeaceDiner fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 22, 2017

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I love this part of the game, wandering around the world with everything slightly off. The shops selling weapons, the demons in the street, and the mixed up roles for characters. It all comes together to create a wonderful sense of unease.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Junpei posted:

Oops, I completely forgot to answer this the first time! Reiji puts most of his points into strength and agility. His vitality kinda sucks compared to Nanjo or Mark, but that's easily offset by putting on the right Persona.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Erusear Tsymmom, eh?

Mommy's Treasure?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

"You must find the Mirror of Ra!"

"Philemon Digivolve to---"

Please tell me I'm not alone.

Also for some reason, I really want to punch normal Peace Diner Clerk NPC's face. Please tell me hes a jokeboss.

I bet that the Harem Queen's that girl we're looking for. :10bux:

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Bar attacked by Harem Queen is my favorite track in this entire game. It's odd for such a one-off piece of music to be singled out; but the music is incredible.

Anyways, with Illuyanka, if you fused him with Hanako/Bukimi and a zombie monster that makes his level (next monster in this dungeon coming up),, you can score Maeiha/Mudoonn this early. Toss in some bullets and anything that doesn't resist dark magic is practically obliterated.

Anyways, personae between 25-30 that are worth a drat.

Back during Fuutai, I said there'd be a time you're going to want to resist Nerve magic and this here is the dungeon. There are enemies in here called Malphas who will irk the poo poo out of you with Marin Karin (multi-charm) magic that at least on hard mode, almost always hits unless you're able to reflect it or blast them first with Eternal White. Aonbarr does just that and comes with decent magic in Fire, Earth and Sound magics (though it's a while for that Eastern Impact skill). His return item allows you to fuse up Il-Dana later in the game; except he's level 80 and for some reason, his fusion can make accidents from time to time. Aonbarr's good here for the defense if nothing more. Wilder (preferably Cath Pulug) + Fairy + Bullets for extra powerful Baeiha spell at rank 2; to let him help against the holy monsters you'll find here.

Another great magician. Mix him up with the Yoma and Rusalka demons for Mabufula at rank 2 or Fallen+Spirit for some dark magic. I go the former usually as I make Illuyanka myself with dark magic. Spears and earth magic here with a unique spell in Outoma, which just kicks the enemies out of battle. Masao can get a great use out of him as the Magician's high M.ATK will deal magical damage while his own strength can allow the spears to hit decently well. Success rate for Outoma is rear end though. He also gets Estoma (PSP exclusively) which is wonderful for when you're sick of seeing this dungeon's poo poo. Finally, his return item is the Gae Bolg which lets Brown attack any enemy in the attack range once but has a chance to charm. Not a bad weapon; but he'll find better in the Casino or later in the game.

Macha, and since I haven't brought them up yet, the entire Jusice Arcana tend to prefer blast magics and have high agility, offset by low defensive magic power. Macha can kinda be seen as a Nemain Prime: Sronger blast attacks, a tier three spell (though the journey from rank 7-8 is a bastard) and Poison Sting and Earthly Vortex spells. She's not bad and her speed can allow her to pwoer through a lot of enemies. Main drawback to justice arcana is that their fusion materials don't lend to spell inheritance much. Femme + Drake in that order will get you a spell from the first order while Night + Jirae gets you a spell from the second order. Always throw bullets into Justice fusions, because Justice persona usually end up great when you get them but lack the staying power.

Divine + Beast or Femme + Foul. Just shoot for a blue circle fusion, throw in an Agidyne stone and just cackle madly. She and all priestess persona lack real offensive on their own; but with a good fusion and a stone of your choice, she'll blow everything the gently caress away. Not kidding; her M.ATK will tip the scales at about 204 when fused right. Only drawback aside from death magic is that the trip from ranks 6-7 for Mediarama is pure hell; but she'll set you for a very long time. I use her over Phaleg just for the pure magical offensive.

There is one more in this range; but I'm presuming OP wants to show off that glitch to obtain him; so I'll keep my yap shut on that one.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Tactless Ogre, can you start off by saying [Name]: for the persona's?
Cuz unless I'm suddenly blind, those images dont have the persona names on them, and it drives me crazy not knowing the name at the start and it'd help with formatting if this gets linked to in the OP.

So about revelations, was everything translated horribly or was it still full of random japanese words even after low effort recoloring of all the characters?

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

MythosDragon posted:

Tactless Ogre, can you start off by saying [Name]: for the persona's?
Cuz unless I'm suddenly blind, those images dont have the persona names on them, and it drives me crazy not knowing the name at the start and it'd help with formatting if this gets linked to in the OP.

So about revelations, was everything translated horribly or was it still full of random japanese words even after low effort recoloring of all the characters?

The first group (called Persona Pitstop), has been linked in the OP and includes names as well as additional mythological information on the Personas. For the latest post, the Personas in order are Aonbarr, Cu Chulainn, Macha, and Hathor.

So, Revelations. I'm going to talk more in-depth about it at the end of the first route, but yes, Revelations took all the Japanese stuff and threw it out the window. Almost everyone got a name change, including most Personas (such as Maso becoming Maria or Seimen Kongou becoming Starion) and a number of demons. The quality of the translation could be poor at times (such as the infamous "No, you're stupid!" or "You're face looks flushed and upset"), and at times outright changed things - for example, instead of being in the hospital for an illness, Maki (or Mary) was in the hospital for "minor mental delusions." However, it's not the absolute worst translation out there, and apparently the mess of a localization caused Atlus rethink their strategy when it came to localizing Japanese games, so good came out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
There weren't Japanese words in the script but despite its best efforts to claim that the game takes place in America, stuff in the actual game like the Shinto shrine and the Satomi Tadashi's Japanese theme song were still intact.

Black Market has really cool music which again is a shame that it was left out of the PSP version. These tracks were done by Meguro and you can recognize his style from the later games in them.

I'm not sure if it was a localization change in Revelations or what, but I did like how on the PS1 the Black Market's Peace Diner has a smiley face with an eyepatch.

I do feel like the later Persona titles backpedaled the approach to localization too far in the opposite direction but that is a story for another time.

• Locked thread