Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Update 4: Raging Beast

I wonder if there's anything I could get the knack for.

NPC dialogue updates fairly periodically. A few NPCs have some new things to say, now the mission is available.

Oh, what's this? Welcome!
How's business?
Thanks to all the Hunters and merchants that've come here, pretty good!
Is that so? Probably has something to do with good food and cozy beds, too. And a little hard work.
Oh, thank you.
I hope you stay around for years to come.

The man turns to leave.

Hmmm... What's Kazan's specialty?

Beautiful Miross, the people of Nevan... But, Aizhen is best of all!

If I had to be honest, I'd say we're off to a rocky start.
It's important to look on the bright side.

That way, you aren't tempted to give up. My goal is to drink this beer in one go! My reward will be... another mug of beer! I'm a tireless worker!
I foresee that this going on for as long as he wants to.

We'll pass for now.

I use my newfound cash to outfit everyone in armor. I'm going to need it.

Ha ha! It's a secret ♪

I'm worried that they might be able to breach Miross's defenses.

Um, no. How much?
It's a hundred items. That's it! So be sure to organize sometimes, or you'll end up like me.

It's actually pretty hard to run into that limit in this game. Inventory management really isn't a huge concern. Though believe the later games got rid of the overall item limit, in exchange for capping the amount of each specific item you can hold at 15.

Paralysis affects the body's nervous response. You might not act for a turn. You can act while Blind, but your attack accuracy is significantly lower. Both will resolve after battle. But I suggest you cure them quickly!

...No thank you.

Hmm... wait... Where's my house key?

I thought for sure I'd lost it... I didn't want to think about that.

And that's all the updated dialogue for now. Let's head back to the quest office.

Can't you be a bit more charitable?
Charitable?
I guess not. Anyway, what's next?
Supply collection and transport, monster extermination... the usual.
Wait, extermination?
Just fledgling beasts. Even a rookie guild could take them out.
So that's all?
No, the other mission remains a worry. I haven't heard any good news about the expeditions.
I don't know of many guilds capable of handling all these new monsters.
You sound worried.
That's because I am. You always can tell what I'm thinking.

The man turns to us.

Put out the word that this is a priority.

The man leaves.

Hmm, curious. No one has been able to accomplish the mission?
All the more reason for us to get it done!

You accept missions in the same way you do quests. Talk to the clerk on the right to do so. Completing these will advance the plot.

Uh huh! Soooo, what do we gotta do?
...Very well. We need everyone we can find. North of the east bridge, a monster's moved in to the Nameless Cave. This is the cave map.

We need this resolved immediately, but please, don't be reckless.
I wish I could promise that.

Taking that mission updated more dialogue in both Kazan and Miross. Let's talk with the townsfolk first before we set out.

They're few and far between. You don't have to juggle them like quests. But you can't drop 'em either. They're much too important.

My talents are wasted here. I should be out there hunting monsters!
...I see foolhardiness is abundant even in this day and age.

Don't think you can just pass without permission.

Some fools decided I wasn't "guild material". Guess I'll slay it alone! But, even I might have a tough time with that...

I suggest you use extreme caution. That enemy is nothing to laugh about.

I'll go into more detail later, but this is going to be our first boss fight, and it is tough.

Get out of my way unless you've got a death wish!...
You should be careful who you say things like that to. Just saying.

If you think to yourself, "It's unbeatable!", that'll only slow you down. In order to beat tough opponents, you gotta change your whole attitude!

I heard it was the size of an entire mountain!
You know, maybe it's not too late to quit the mission.
Ah ah ah! You heard what that old man said. Once we take a mission, there's no backing down!

And that's all for Kazan. While I was heading to Miross...

I didn't go too in depth into these enemies last time, so let's fix that.

Froggy
Level: 3
LIFE: 27
ATK: 29
DEF: 9
INT: 8
SPD: 10
Attack Type: Blunt
Size: Small
Exp: 36
Gold: 3
Item Drops:
-Normal: Frogskin - 30% Drop Rate.
--Skin of a Froggy.
-Rare: N/A
Damage Multipliers:
Slash: 100% Blunt: 100% Thrust: 100%
Fire: 100% Ice: 100% Lightning: 150%

Skills:

Lullaby Song: 30% chance of inflicting Sleep on one target. Has a speed modifier of 85%.

Froggies are a step up from Bluegrass Nymphs. While Paralysis had a chance at preventing your party members from acting, Sleep is guaranteed to do so. Not only that, sleeping party members can't avoid anything, and take an extra 50% damage if a physical attack is used to wake them up. Depending on the formation they're found in, it can be difficulty to decide if they should be killed first or not.

Dodo
Level: 5
LIFE: 30
ATK: 32
DEF: 12
INT: 10
SPD: 15
Attack Type: Thrust
Size: Large
Gold: 5
Item Drops:
-Normal: Bird Legs - 30% Drop Rate. 3 needed to unlock the Hunting Charm (Accessory, +5 Life, +5 Mana, +3 SPD.)
--Long legs of a Dodo.
-Rare: Bird Meat - Don't kill with Fire damage. 5% Drop Rate.
--A bird's meat. For carnivores. Increases SPD & Max MANA for the day.
Damage Multipliers:
Fire: 100% Ice: 100% Lightning: 100%

Skills:

Thrust: Deals 130% melee ATK-based Thrust damage to one party member. Has a speed modifier of 90%.

Oh hey, remember how Nutshells were a pain to deal with? The game basically makes you go through that again by introducing the Dodo. It's a really strong enemy that will just ruin your day. Thankfully Thrust is a melee attack, so it's unlikely to oneshot a party member in the back row.

The one thing that Nutshells had over Dodos is that they had a ranged attack, so they were a threat to all party members. The Dodo isn't as scary to party members in the back row due to its lack of a ranged attack. You still shouldn't get careless around them.

Here, choke on this and die slowly. Thanks.

...Or don't. Whatever.

Ailments skills at low levels really aren't worth using. Though there is one way to salvage them somewhat. Using part of your EX gauge with a skill that can inflict an ailment will multiply the chances by 1.5x. Not much of a boost early on, but it's something at least.

And stay extinct!

Of course if you have a Mage, they laugh at random encounters and can eliminate them pretty easily.

Mmph... No no, it was perfectly legal for me to blast them...

A minor annoyance, since the Dodo is gone.

Your soothing croaking won't work on me!

...That has got to be a humiliating way to die.

Those enemies are pretty much the main reason you don't want to go to Miross too early. They'll pretty much crush you if you're too weak.

Something I want to cover real quick. When you qualify for an enemy's rare drop, the game checks to see if that drops first, then checks for the regular drop if you didn't get it. You can only get 1 item drop from each enemy. So if you want their common drop, don't try to go for their rare drop if there's a condition attached to it.

And here's another new enemy you can encounter around Miross.

Slime
Level: 4
LIFE: 27
ATK: 30
DEF: 8
INT: 8
Exp: 38
Gold: 4
Item Drops:
-Normal: Slime Jelly - 30% Drop Rate.
--Plasm [sic] of a Slime.
Damage Multipliers:
Slash: 100% Blunt: 50% Thrust: 150%
Fire: 150% Ice: 100% Lightning: 50%

Skills:

Solvent: Places a debuff on one party member that reduces their DEF (Multiplies it by 75%) for 5 turns. Has a speed modifier of 80%

Slimes are basically kind of a lesson in diversifying your damage types. Fist samurai and such are going to have a bit of a tough time dealing with them for one. You also want to get rid of them fast. Solvent can be disastrous to deal with if the Slime is with an enemy that can hit really hard, or if they're in a large group.

Ooh, that was hot!

As long as you don't let them place defense debuffs on everyone, you'll be fine. That's all the encounters I wanted to show off for now. Let's check out Miross.

I love pink best, but any color of flower is beautiful!

There was a large conflict at the time of independence. Since then, Miross has pursued pacifistic policies.

Uh oops. Looks like I missed his first line of dialogue when I came here. Hang on, let me just dig that up.

Miross gained independence from Aizhen long ago. Aizhen? It's an ancient nation well to the south of here.

Sweet, bitter, sour, salty, and umami... I must balance them all.

Being a maid certainly has its advantages, heh!

It takes a rare monster to drop a rare item. And a rare trader to buy it!

For the record, there is something of interest in this town now. We need to head to the fortune-teller's house.

The customer leaves.

Uhhhh, sure...?

Why on earth would anyone want that? Sorry... I'm through for today. If I only had THAT...

Okay, a little word of warning. The first three quests we did are mandatory. However, any more that pop up in the prologue are optional. But if you don't finish them before the prologue is over, the quests disappear forever. There are 4 quests left in the prologue, one of which is this one. The other three will become available after we complete the mission.

I'm sorry. That's all for today. What do I do... what do I do?

Was it somebody from Kazan that did the job
Huh? Wait, someone beat us to it already?

Oops. I think I sequence broke a bit. Evidently the game expected me to get the mission done before heading here.

Take up arms and slay them all? Or give up my knighthood? What's that life like? You can't get a cute wife without being a knight!

Sure, the Nameless Cave is Miross territory, but it's a Hunter job. Kazan is full of Hunters, so it makes sense for Kazan to handle it. Until they do, we'll have to be careful. Just the way it is.

People in the back are safer and have higher defense. They'll hit less hard, but it's a small price to pay.

More specifically, melee ranged attacks will deal half damage in both cases.

I'm intimately acquainted with two women...
Surely that will end well...

I have to adjust this right now... hold on.
Wow, talk about dedication.

So I guess you're from Kazan, then? I'd like to help you, but this is for guests... only. Really, very sorry.

Yeah, a few event flags ended up tripping too early for these new lines of dialogue.

It's a good idea to clear it out first, though.

He's referring to a game mechanic we'll run into later. I've got... things to say about it.

Anyways, let's take up that quest.

I require a new Moon Crystal. It can increase one's fortune telling success by 20%! ...In theory. It would be indispensable. There should be one in the city. Please look. Thank you immensely.
I wonder where we should look.
Maybe someone in town knows. They always do for these kinda things.

I say it's more like, like a "Moony Crystal"! With 20% more dumb luck! People say it's in Miross. Whether that's true or not, who knows.

A bow? A lottery ticket? A poisoning?

Hmm...

Because the truth about these monsters is... That's just the way it is.

Maybe I need some time to think about it.

If a fortune has no room for error, then... Well, then if you get a bad fortune, it's small comfort to know it's right! The most important thing is to have hope for a pleasant surprise...

But, maybe I can help. Let me think about it...

In order to find the Moon Crystal, you need to talk with this NPC a few times.

Do you remember now?
...Stella, It's only been a few seconds.

You might find something useful in there.

Now there's an entrance hidden at the back of this building.

I think this is it?

You can't pick up the Moon Crystal without talking to the store owner first.

Is this really going to help her?
I have no idea how anyone can possibly do any “fortune telling” with this bauble.
Maybe this isn't such a good idea after all. Hmm...

Uh, well...
Moon Crystal is the only thing that can help me. Please bring it.
Are you sure about that? You see...
Yes? Is there anything you'd like to tell me?

I dunno. I mean do people really need their fortunes told? You could, I dunno, just be there for them and talk to them?
Honestly, that would probably be more effective.
What? You think my speechcraft matters more than my spellcraft? Mmm... hmmm.... I see... Do you really think that would work? Even if I don't believe it?
If people already consider you a fraud, I doubt you have much to lose.
Very well. I'll practice a new act and try.

It doesn't really matter how you end that quest. Nothing really changes in the end. Other than you keeping the Moon Crystal, but that thing is worthless.

And that's the only quest we can tackle for the moment.

Mana Water is a handy consumable. It restores 15 mana to one party member. Though at this point in the game, I don't find it necessary. Resting at inns is more economic, and dungeons at this point simply don't last long enough to need mana restoration. It does sell for 360 G if you need some money.

Also at this point, I finally remembered to spend my skill points. Normally you get 1 skill point upon leveling up, but if you reach a level that's a multiple of 5, you get 2 skill points instead.

Axes now have a weapon attack power multiplier of 120%.

Venom now has a 40% chance to land, and has a poison power of 300%. So now the poison ticks for 63 damage, which is a fairly respectable amount of damage at this point in the game.

Ah, nothing wrong with using magic in its purest form!

Mana Mastery unlocks Mana spells, which deal non-elemental damage. Most things in the game aren't resistant to non-elemental damage, but they aren't weak to it either. At level 2, it increases non-elemental spell damage by 11.25 points, and applies an 106% multiplier to the speed modifiers of Mana spells. I'm mainly taking this to unlock Concentrate, which requires me to max this out.

Heated Words now applies a 120% multiplier to our party's attack stats.

One other thing I want to cover. When you pick the Custom option on the menu, you can select your party name to see their party skills. There are a total of 18 that can be learned. I'll go more into those when they become relevant.

Anyways, this is the place where we need to go for the mission.

The Nameless Cave isn't a really long dungeon. See that little dot in the lower right hand corner? That's where we need to go.

This is the only chest in the cave.

Oh but first, new enemies!

Mushy
Level: 6
LIFE: 32
ATK: 35
DEF: 10
INT: 9
SPD: 12
Exp: 32
Gold: 6
Item Drops:
-Normal: Mushroom Stem - 30% Drop Rate. 3 needed to unlock the Poisonol (Consumable, dispels Poison.)
--Stalk of a Mushy. Good in soups.
Damage Multipliers:

Skills:

Venom Spore: 30% chance of inflicting Poison on all party members. Has a Poison power of 20% (Deals 7 Poison damage.) Has a speed modifier of 85%.
Do Nothing: Wastes a turn.

Mushies really aren't too bad to deal with. They're honestly really pathetic enemies. They can inflict Poison on your party, but it does so little damage. And they're very prone to doing nothing and wasting their turns entirely.

They're really pathetic enemies. Their most dangerous attack is their regular attack, which they don't like to use all that often.

Ooh, another new enemy.

Beetle
LIFE: 28
ATK: 33
DEF: 8
INT: 5
SPD: 12
Attack Type: Slash
Gold: 4
Item Drops:
-Normal: Beetle Wings - 30% Drop Rate.
--Two pairs of wings from a Beetle.
Damage Multipliers:

Skills: N/A

You can actually encounter these things in the forests around Miross. Anyways, Beetles aren't particularly interesting enemies. They don't have any skills, but they always come in swarms, so they can overwhelm your party if you don't take them out fast enough, Just focus them down, one at a time, to slow down the onslaught.

Not much to them, really.

Here's the last new enemy we'll be encountering this update.

Wisp
Level: 7
LIFE: 32
ATK: 32
DEF: 15
INT: 18
SPD: 14
Exp: 34
Gold: 7
Item Drops:
-Normal: Fireball Core - 30% Drop Rate. 15 needed to unlock the Flamberge (Sword, +86 ATK, +15 Life, deals Fire damage.)
--Heart of a Wisp. A handy fuel.
Damage Multipliers:
Fire: 0% Ice: 100% Lightning: 100%

Skills:

Flame Ball: Deals 23% ranged INT-Based Fire damage to one party member. Has a speed modifier of 80%.

Wisps are pretty much your first introduction to enemy spells. Don't be fooled by that low spell power Flame Ball has, it's pretty much that low so they don't completely annihilate you. Spells are much more powerful than physical attacks. At any rate, Wisps themselves are fairly dangerous and should be taken out quickly since they can hit hard both physically and magically.

Also before you get too excited about that weapon their drop unlocks, it also needs a drop from a mid-game monster to unlock. I'm honestly not sure why they did that, because this is the only enemy that drops Fireball Cores, and you don't encounter them past the early-game. 7th Dragon, everybody.

Dia has a decent amount of INT, so she didn't take too much from that. Of course you have to watch out for them ganging up on someone.

Let's douse those flames!

Ech, not even Nila can one shot them. Also they're also why you want to start diversifying your damage types on your mage. If you went all in on Fire, yeah that's gonna suck since your mage will be useless against them.

Hold still, Dia. Let me just patch that up...
Why, thank you.

I'll want to level up Cure eventually, but for the early-game, this should suffice.

They're one of the toughest enemies in this cave, so you want to watch out for them.

Huh?

Cool! A secret passage!

A few dungeons have a few secret passages in them.

If there are any in the current area, I'll mark them down with black. There are 2 secret passages in the cave, but that room in the top right corner contains nothing for now, and the other passage leads nowhere.

Hm? What is that structure?

It looks like a well. Ooh, and it's full of water, too! Maybe we should drink from it. I know I'm thirsty after all that fighting!
Hm, it does look clean...

Ah! I feel refreshed! How about the rest of you?
Mm! It's just what I needed.

These wells of water will fully recover the party's life and mana. However, it won't recover any used up EX. They're generally placed before bosses. Speaking of which...

You idiots better have some serious beginner's luck! That's no foe for rookies! I can't believe I came all this way. What a waste. Fine! I'm outta here!

The Hunter leaves.

Are we really going through with this?
Well, here's something to consider. He was by himself, and there are four of us here.
Yeah, we have the power of teamwork!
Teamwork? Ha! It seems more like we're all a moment's notice away from strangling each other.
Don't be a downer. You're spoiling the moment!

See that spiky thing? That's the boss. Now you actually have an opportunity to get a preemptive strike on it by walking into its back. Take that opportunity. You're going to need it.

Alright, let's get that mission done!

:black101:Video: Raging Beast:black101:

Here's the first boss fight in the game, the Raging Beast.

Raging Beast
Level: 5
LIFE: 400
ATK: 48
DEF: 25
INT: 14
SPD: 15
Attack Type: Slash
Size: N/A
Exp: 230
Gold: 8
Item Drops:
-Normal: Predator Meat - 100% Drop Rate.
--A predator's meat. For carnivores. Increases POW for the day.
-Rare: Paro Fruit - 5% Drop Rate.
--Fruit good for cuts and scrapes. Recovers 30 LIFE.
Damage Multipliers:
Ailment Susceptibility:
Death: 20% Masked Pain: 100% Skill Seal: 25%
Fear: 25% Curse: 50% Bleed: 25%
Poison: 25% Sleep: 25% Confuse: 25%
Paralysis: 50% Blind: 10% Stun: 100%

Skills:

Mow Down: Randomly attacks the party with Slash damage 3 times, dealing 90% melee ATK-based damage per hit. Has a speed modifier of 80%.

The Raging Beast is easily one of the hardest bosses in the game. It comes at a point where your skill builds are just getting started, and the player is just learning the ropes. It's a very unfriendly welcome to the game. And if you were trying to use ailments, the game gives you a nasty surprise as the Raging Beast is fairly resistant to nearly everything.

It only has 1 skill, but said skill is very deadly as it essentially lets the Raging Beast attack 3 times in 1 turn. The game lets you get a preemptive strike on it for a reason.

First things first, I want to lower its DEF stat so both Stella and Nila can deal more damage to it throughout the battle. The reduction won't be much at this point, but every little bit helps.

Time to get serious.

For Edward, I use up part of his EX gauge.

Mainly so I have a better chance of inflicting Poison onto the Raging Beast. Normally it would have a 10% chance, but using EX raises that up to 15%.

I'm ready to set the world on fire!

Nila will just be throwing out spells for the entire battle.

And I'll have Dia buff everyone up (Well, Stella is the only one who will benefit from this.)

I guess I should have saw that coming.

ALL SHALL BURN!

Keep in mind that the Raging Beast has 400 life. What was fairly effective on the random encounters turning out not to be as effective on the boss can come across as a nasty surprise.

Slaughter the beast with all your streeeeength ♪ This is humiliating.

What beautiful music!

FUR CHOP! Ha! Your bushy fur won't save you now!

Something to keep in mind is that DEF debuffs are slightly better than ATK buffs due to the fact that the former can also boost the damage output of a Mage's spells, while the latter has no effect on them.

Behold, my most powerful attack!

Now Stella will be unleashing EX boosted Power Crashes for the rest of the battle.

I shall accomplish this task quickly.

EX has absolutely no effect on buffs, but I'm using it with Dia just so I can have priority for Hard Words.

Steel yourselves for the trials aheaaaaaad ♪

Lovely, we're going to die here, aren't we?

Didn't expect that to land, but honestly Edward has nothing better to do.

SUPER MEGA AXE CHOPPER!

Ooh, a respectable amount of damage.

Well, that's a quarter of its HP gone, at the very least.

Ohhh, this is gonna suck.

OW! OOF! OW!

I'm really lucky Edward did not get taken out from that. Those armor purchases were money well spent.

I'm still trying to have Edward inflict Poison, so he won't be doing any healing this turn. So I'm gonna have Dia make an express delivery to Edward since there's not much else she can do in this battle.

Hmph. It would be a shame if you died this easily.
Uhhh, thanks?

Also, when you use EX with a restorative item, the restoration amount doubles.

Got you at last!

Ooh, now that's gonna be very helpful!

Gah! Hey Dia, mind handing me some of that fruit, too?
Good grief, I really have been reduced to a mere delivery girl.

Yeah, armor purchases make quite a difference since the Raging Beast was so close to killing Stella.

And that's the Poison damage kicking in. It does quite a bit of damage at this point.

I'm gonna have Edward Cure Stella just in case she gets attacked again. Also because Edward has nothing left to do in this battle. Though I do have Dia toss out another EX boosted Paro Fruit to Stella to ensure that she stays alive.

Oh, sorry I meant Paro Nut. The fan translation has a couple of inconsistencies like that, though most are limited to the items you use in battle.

Thanks! I'm ready to roll again!

Ow! Hey!

No worries, I'm on it.

Oh hey, my prediction was right after all.

That Poison is doing a lot of work.

Ugh, I don't think I can go on for much longer.

Don't worry, I don't think it can either!

Stella is out of mana, so she can no longer cast Power Crash. Not that it matters when the Raging Beast is about to die.

And the Raging Beast just signed its own death warrant. Should have used Mow Down more.

WOO HOO! VICTORY FOR ODYSSEY!
Okay, I admit it. I was wrong. We actually handled that pretty nicely.

The Raging Beast is a real test of strategy simply because you don't have too many options at this point. I was just really lucky Edward landed that Poison, as that was one of the biggest reasons I won without too much trouble.

The Predator Meat increases a Fighter's POW stat by 3 for the day. It's rather potent considering just how powerful that stat is.

The party automatically heads up.

They can't possibly handle this mission!

By any chance, did you dispose of that monster?
Uh huh! Go see for yourself!

Menas checks to see if we did kill the Raging Beast.

Very nice work! That was an impressive feat for beginning Hunters! If you stop by the Mission Office and make a report, they'll give you your reward. You can go back home now and leave the rest to us.

Our party automatically leaves.

Ooh, you heard that? A reward!
Ha ha! Nothing is too tough for Odyssey!
We survived! I can't believe we actually survived!
This is proving to be very interesting indeed.

We automatically get teleported back to the beginning of the cave. Sadly, we don't get fully healed up. Anyways, the party got a level up, so let's spend those skill points.

Axes now have a 122% multiplier applied to their weapon attack.

Venom now has a 45% chance to land, as well as having a poison power of 350%, so it deals 73 Poison damage.

Mana Mastery now increases mana spell damage by 15 points, and increases the speed of mana spells by 112%.

Heated Words now provides a 121% multiplier to the party's attack.

Next time, we'll go back to report our success.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
The Raging Beast is definitely an additional step up in an already steep early game.
It's actually naturally easier in the unpatched version since the higher encounter rate means more XP for your party.
But in exchange getting through the Nameless Cave in one go can be much harder depending on what enemies you encounter - even with the full heal waiting for you.

Without the humane patch I am usually around level 8 when fighting the Raging Beast.
Not because I grind for it but simply because the encounter rate forces me back to Kazan that often.

I never knew there was that much updated text. Looking for specific text in Miross between taking the first mission and completing it is something I never even considered.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014

werbear posted:

I never knew there was that much updated text. Looking for specific text in Miross between taking the first mission and completing it is something I never even considered.

There is SO MUCH additional text than you would think. Someone could sneeze and everyone has something new to say across the world.

Wiffle
Jan 5, 2014
The Raging Beast is more of a stat check than anything else, and a reminder to go buy equipment if you haven't got around to doing that. There's not any advanced strategy you can do at such a low level.
I'm curious how well venom is going to scale later in the game, never bothered trying it out myself.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Wiffle posted:

The Raging Beast is more of a stat check than anything else, and a reminder to go buy equipment if you haven't got around to doing that. There's not any advanced strategy you can do at such a low level.
I'm curious how well venom is going to scale later in the game, never bothered trying it out myself.

Not that well. Honestly I'm only picking it up just so Edward has something other than healing to do in battles. Though at the very least, it's one of the easier ailments to land.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

So how's this game stack up against EO2 when it comes to glitches? Looks about equal in terms of playability (or it would be if not for the asinine way damage tiles work in the base game).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Grashbar posted:

There is SO MUCH additional text than you would think. Someone could sneeze and everyone has something new to say across the world.

While I can respect the effort that must have gone into this, honestly I hate that kind of thing in games and reading all the NPC text just makes me zone out and skim past most of the LP.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 4, 2017

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

At least in EO it always follows a very consistent pattern. Every floor cleared, check in on each NPC (and that there's a very limited number of them helps too). Here though, I feel most people would eventually just forgo most NPCs they don't pass by along the way of their immediate goal, if even that much.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Grashbar posted:

At the beginning, sure. But eventually the NPC dialogue stops updating as much.

Rangpur posted:

So how's this game stack up against EO2 when it comes to glitches? Looks about equal in terms of playability (or it would be if not for the asinine way damage tiles work in the base game).

There aren't too many glitches in the game, and the ones that exist aren't nearly as interesting as the ones in EO2.

I've played through the game without the USA patch, and it's certainly playable, but it's just really annoying. You just have to pack way more healing supplies, which might actually mean something if you didn't have so much inventory space. And if the difficulty didn't plummet off a cliff after the Raging Beast.

Clarste posted:

While I can respect the effort that must have gone into this, honestly I hate that kind of thing in games and reading all the NPC text just makes me zone out and skim past most of the LP.

Yeah, after the prologue, I'm gonna start sectioning all that off into side updates so they can be skipped over more easily if people want to ignore them. And still there for the people that want to read them. It stops updating nearly as often after that point. (Also they're forcing me to cut off updates way sooner than I want to due to how many characters they take up.)

freshlybaked posted:

At least in EO it always follows a very consistent pattern. Every floor cleared, check in on each NPC (and that there's a very limited number of them helps too). Here though, I feel most people would eventually just forgo most NPCs they don't pass by along the way of their immediate goal, if even that much.

The other problem with this is that NPCs that didn't give out a quest before will suddenly give one out after a certain point. Etrian at the very least had clearly defined breakpoints for those too.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 4, 2017

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Okay, a little word of warning. The first three quests we did are mandatory. However, any more that pop up in the prologue are optional. But if you don't finish them before the prologue is over, the quests disappear forever. There are 4 quests left in the prologue, one of which is this one. The other three will become available after we complete the mission.

Welp, guess who missed four quests -_-

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 5: The Case of the Fried Shrimp

But I'd think twice. Money and fame aren't any use if you're dead.

Oh, no need to worry about us! We already took it down.
I believe you. You've got a serious look about you.

Time to report this mission as a success.

After doing so, a man comes in.

You've got the right people!
Ms. Erin needs you in the Guild Office. Please come by later.

Things are going to change once you've completed it. I bet people might even be talking about it afterward in town.

Instead of talking to Erin, let's look around town first, yet again.

But I can still be a Hunter! I think the back row is just as important. Okay! Starting today, I'll be studying Support skills!

Wasn't it you who defeated the monster near Miross? Ha ha ha. I guess we maids can't take care of everything ♪

...Sure, why not?
Watch and learn! One! Two! Three!

H-hey! Are you alright?
Ohhhhh... Ow, owwww! My joints...Ow, owwww!

What defines a great Hunter are high expectations. But, not recklessness!

Is the same uncertainty in the air around here?

Any of you guys know the kids in that guild? Say hi for me! I bet they're gonna go on to great things!
Hee hee hee, yeah. I'm sure they will.
As long as they don't do anything stupid, mind you.

If you want to go back out tomorrow, you gotta take care of yourself tonight.

Okay, now let's talk to Erin.

Miross Council? Can't say I've heard much.
Oh, I see. Well, if you do cross paths with him, please introduce me.
Yes, of course.

Yeah. We just got back from our first big mission!
Oh, that's Odyssey! Some promising rookies! Let me introduce you, eh? This is Kingsblade, whom I'd call Kazan's top guild.

Kingsblade is the hottest guild recently. Quite a run for just three people!
And we've got no plans to stop anytime soon! Hey, by the way, lemme show you something you oughta know.

Study your skills and try to find collection points on your travels. It'll be worth it. I'll find you in the bar sometime... seeya, rookies!
Ah, excuse us.

Kingsblade leaves.

The President wants to see you tomorrow. I heard you guys handled the monster quite well? Just as I hoped. I suggest you take it easy until the morning.
I could use a good rest after all that.

Fade to black.

I'd heard and believed the former, but this is all happening so fast.

This actually counts as an inn stay.

So Kingsblade taught us how to gather. Basically there are certain spots in a dungeon you can search to get some items. And a few NPCs tell us about this, so you'd think this is something you'll be able to do really soon. Yeah here's the problem. We need both a survey skill and a gather skill to be able to do that. We have a gather skill, but when is the earliest we can pick up a survey skill?

Slightly less than halfway through the game, which we aren't even close to yet. Welcome to 7th Dragon.

A Miross emissary came to Kazan some time ago. What could this be? Watch out, Mr. President! That Queen Emerald means to make a marriage!

When you're thirsty, come by, any time. First round's on me!
We complete one meager mission, and people are already singing our praises.
Hey, no complaints from me there!

...What.

Yeah, that quest trigger makes very little sense.

...That said, drink up! I'm still here for tonight! And tomorrow too!

Just sitting down and having a drink can take your mind off things.

Kazan's president is popular, even in my hometown of Nevanplace. But how can I get him to agree? Hm...

But I wonder if it's worth going there after all? I mean, it's governed by those Rushe half-beasts. I hear they're barbaric.
Hey!

That must mean... You're flush with cash! You should have a home!
Even with our bigger funds, I doubt we would be able to afford it.

But Key Items don't count against the total; you can always take them. Finding them again is another matter, though.

Confusion makes it hard to tell friend from foe. You'll attack at random. Even worse is Charm. You'll always attack friends while fascinated by enemies. Both can be broken by taking damage. Cure them ASAP!

Both of these ailments are similar in what they do. When a party member is confused, you have no control over them, and they have a 50% chance of targeting either an enemy or an ally. Confusion stays after battle, so that's also kind of annoying.

Charm is similar to confusion, except affected allies will always attack their allies. Thankfully it does go away after battle. However, Charm is an enemy only ailment. No class is capable of inflicting it in any way.

Hmm... Guess I'll just train on my own today.

Dots, hearts, dots, hearts, dots, hearts... They're both lovely! Huh? Still here? Scram! I don't have time to deal with the likes of you.

I want my brother to do cool stuff like that! But... to stay safe, too.

I admire their teamwork! And I want our guild to be every bit as good!

He's down to earth, but no less a great man for it. Show him proper respect.
Seems like only an idiot would think about laying a finger on him.
...What are you looking at me like that for?

It's tremendously exhausting, but I can't let everyone down. Menas is amazing... He works so much, I can't picture him asleep.

I mean, I'm not saying he does a bad job running Kazan, but... Errrr... This here is dreadfully important. Excuse me.

Kazan must prepare itself, but these nonstop all-nighters are pretty rough on us... Yawn... I'm sleepy, but, stopping'll just make tomorrow worse!

I mean, it's touching, but as his personal aide, it gives me hives!

Okay, now let's actually meet with him.

Even with my eyes closed, I bet I can tell what your faces look like.

Shining with glory. I've got a good eye for these things.I'm pleased to meet with your guild, Odyssey. Thank you for coming. You can call me Doris Agouto. I am the President, but I don't care much for titles. After all, I'm just an old Hunter myself. From today onward, I'll work with you to help save this world!
H-Huh!?
What was that part about saving this world? I wasn't under the impression it was in any danger.
Well, there are those incidents that have been popping up.
Hahaha. Don't look so surprised! You're interesting people.
When you say it like that, "save the world" sounds rather quixotic.
Poor Menas. He has no sense of poetry. Did you know that the world is seeing more and more calamities?

I may have heard something about that.
Ha, you're already up to speed, then.
Of course, this isn't the only problem. Pleroma academics see some distressing phenomena. And just now, Miross has sent an urgent missive. They're being invaded by unknown lifeforms from a nearby forest. Even their knights are having a difficult time. And that isn't all.
I have a hunch that this is just the beginning.
This is a mission straight from the President! Proceed to Miross and investigate the outbreak! And if it poses a threat to this world... you must destroy it without fail! First, head to Miross. Speak with the Council.
I expect to hear from you, Odyssey.

In actuality, they already assigned us to this mission. No need to head to the quest office. A nice bit of streamlining. The game really could have used more of it.

A pleasure to meet with you all! Let's head out, everyone!
I wonder what's going on now...

Our party leaves.

Intuition.
Really? That's all?
That's how I chose you. Don't worry about it. They'll deliver. I'm sure of it.
I'll wait for some evidence before I believe that.

We regain control over our party at this point.

Uh huh! It's a really nice place.
I like its lush terrain and its busy streets. But I love the people here more.

Your guild has clearance, but I'm watching you. Just give me a reason...

Whenever I screw up, my brother always makes a federal case out of it...

It's not fair! I'm a charming guy!
Uh huh. I see.

With everyone's weaknesses balanced by strengths! There are all kinds of guilds out there... What kind is yours?

Menas and I, and even the President himself, are pulling for you.

There's only one quest left in Kazan. The rest are in Miross.

And like I said, the game automatically assigned this mission to us. Oh but a word of warning, the prologue will end once you turn in this mission. So if you haven't got any leftover quests done, do so before coming back here.

If you combine skills that increase your defense, you can keep boosting it. I didn't think that worked! Did you know that?!

New regions will have new monsters... so check and upgrade your gear!

But it's no trivial matter. I must return to Miross.

I wonder if I should sneak in... a little risky, but I must train somehow. Off to work I go! Wait, what? Again? I need to get a keychain.

Up until now, you've neatly dispatched every monster. Even a maid might have had trouble handling all that.

Any of you guys know the kids in that guild? Say hi for me! They should be on our sign.
Ooh, that would be- MMPH!
We'll pass on your greeting.

People from Aizhen really discriminate against Rushe. It's impolite! He called my ears "beastly"! I know some people say that, but they're cute, right?

Hmph, don't listen to what that rude guy said! Our ears are totally cute. Oh, Dia. You really should perk those ears up. You'd look a lot better that way.
I'll pass.
I thought so ♪ Kazan is a friendly place. I'll certainly be back!

Alright, let's get that quest done. We need to head down to the bar in the inn's basement.

Out of all the quests we've taken, this has to be the most pointless one.
Why in the world did we take this quest again?
Oh?! You're scoffing?! So who ate it then? Are you here to find the criminal? Hurry up and find them then!
Sigh... let me explain. The "victim" showed up at his usual time, in his usual seat. Ordered his usual drink, and his usual dinner - fried shrimp. And as usual, after his third drink, he started dozing off. When he woke up, he said his shrimp was gone. Help me find out who did it, before he makes a scene...
The Odyssey detective agency is on the case!

Now we need to talk to all the people here to get their accounts.

Now that's criminal.

Y-y-yeah, I'm on a journey. Wh... what happened? I don't know...
Cut the crap, you dirty thief! I know you did it! It's all over your face!
Now now, Nila. Let's not scare the poor man. Have you seen anything suspicious here?
I've got no idea, honest!
Bah! A dead end!

I mean, I know the shrimp here is delicious, but even so...

It was a soul-crushing disappointment for me!
Look at this poor man, not being able to have the last bite of his shrimp.
Oh brother.

Oh, please. You're surrounded by delicious food constantly, day in and day out. It's only a matter of time before you give into temptation!
Can you tell us what happened around the time of the crime?
I don't remember what happened just then. I was moving around a lot.
A likely story. I've got my eye on you.

Honestly, I just wanted to grab a drink after dinner. Can you hurry up?
Oho, eager to leave, aren't you?
Ma'am, we're doing our best to solve this case. In the meantime, please settle down.

Now we have to talk to everyone again. This prompt will pop up. Investigating a suspect right away will do nothing. You have to say no first to get more info out of them.

You had opportunity... I wouldn't have noticed...

This is because the info the suspects give out will implicate another suspect, at which point you'll be able to accuse them.

Look, sorry about your food. I guess. But I'd have to be nuts to eat a customer's meal. I can just make my own.
You... you think this is some kind of joke, don't you!
What?
Just a minute ago, you were talking about the "last fried shrimp"!
What are you saying?
Don't think I didn't hear! Everyone wants the shrimp! Even the bartender! That's why you set me up! You were too impatient to make your own!
Yeah, I said the shrimp was all gone for today. But have you ever heard of a figure of speech? Why would I swipe your shrimp when I can just make more whenever?
Hah! Got you! Changing your story?!
Sheesh, he keeps going on. What a hassle.

After investigating a likely suspect, you'll have the option to accuse them. But accusing a suspect will end the quest, and I don't want to accuse the bartender. For now, I'll just interrogate everyone else. I'll interrogate the bartender first.

Me, a suspect? Karyu over there carries the trays. That sounds way more suspicious to me. She's away from the counter and can dispose of evidence.

You know who's really suspicious? Travelers. That one hasn't ordered since I got here.

W, what about that guy over there? Didn't he pass by the v-v-victim earlier?

That regular over there is way more suspicious! He's right at the counter.

Personally, I doubt the guy going around suspecting people!

He doesn't even remember he ate it... idiot.

Now let's investigate the suspects.

The hell is going on here?
Didn't you just say you'd been looking forward to it a minute ago?
Yeah? So what?
Well, it's safe to assume you had other food, too. But it looks like your entire plate is clean. Are you claiming you saved the shrimp for last?
What! You dare imply...
Well?
I ordered an extra side of fried shrimp! There's documentation!
Pretty lame excuse.

Is this some scheme?
Come to think of it, I did see you chatting that guy up earlier.
Since the waitress has been so busy tonight... I went up to the counter to get myself a drink. I barely talked to the guy. Wait... really? You really think I stole his food just then?
No, but, he was drunk...
You're doubting me?
No, but... the way your lips are shining, they could almost be oily.
Ugh! What a cad!
Are we breaking up now?

I've just been sitting here.
I s-s-saw it! He came way closer to him than I did!
Doesn't prove much. Hardly within arm's reach.
W-w-why change your story like that?
I thought I knew him, but when I got a closer look, I realized my mistake.
Ahhh... Under your chair... The fried shrimp tail!

Wait, wait! Are you saying I'm a crook? Very funny! The culprit obviously ditched it here! Anyway, I always eat the whole shrimp, tail and all!

Hey, were you watching?
Hm. If you have that much shrimp already, nobody would notice one more.
Are you seriously saying I went stealing shrimp with this much already?
If you like it enough to order that much... You might take one more.
Hey, you! This is insulting! Cut it out now!

It wasn't me, it wasn't me, it wasn't me, it wasn't me...
You haven't ordered food. Pretty sketchy.

I h-haven't ordered yet, but, but... I'm the kind of guy who takes a while to decide.
So you didn't even know if you wanted a beer yet?
I c-c-couldn't decide what size to get...
So I guess you ate the shrimp to help choose?
N-no! That's not...

Unfortunately, I forgot to pick up the dialogue for investigating Karyu in my playthrough, so I'll skip over that one.

As for who I want to accuse...

Alright, I think I figured out what happened.

I'm gonna accuse the Dating Man.

Are you sure about that? Because we have some hard evidence that says otherwise, my good friend.
Don't try to deny it! Because this is what really happened!

Hey, how did you even know all that?! That tech is crazy!

Hmm, I wonder what your punishment should be. Death by immola-
WHO CARES ABOUT SOME STUPID SHRIMP!?
This idiocy has gone on long enough. Just grant him his freedom.

After making the accusation, you'll want to pardon your suspect.

Oh, what a world... Fried shrimp... My delicious fried shrimp...
But but, the criminal is right there!
You still doubt me? Whatever. Just take this.

Ooh! All is forgiven!
Nila! I never thought you could be so crooked!
So that settles it?
Hey, I just heard a voice. Who the heck is this hardboiled fella?

Accusing a suspect, then pardoning them will grant you an additional reward. (And yes, each suspect has their own re-enactment scene, so there are multiple correct answers here.) Not letting them go denies it. Anyways, as for what you can get:

You get a Heat Regulator. It increases your Fire resistance. Yeah, no.
You get a Cold Regulator. It increases your Ice resistance. Again, no.
You get a Charge Regulator. It increases your Lighting resistance. Once again, an awful reward.
You get a Stonol. It dispels Petrification on a party member. Yeah uhh, you're not gonna be encountering Petrification for a very long time, so this is a pretty bad reward.
You get a Sapphio. Which changes one party member's normal attacks to the Ice element. Why would you want this?
You get a Heal Aerosol, which restores 50 life to all party members. Actually a pretty good reward, but it's probably overkill.

In all honesty, the best reward comes from accusing the Dating Man.

It provides a very good life and mana boost, which not many classes can say no to at this point in the game. I put this on Edward since I want him to be more durable, and he burns a lot of mana. Also, I want him to be able to heal more for an upcoming section of the game.

Okay, let's turn in that quest.

The actual reward itself is kind of meh, but there's not a lot of effort you have to go through to get it anyway. The Survival Belt is definitely the best reward you can snag from it.

That's all for Kazan for now. But before we head over to Miross, there's one enemy I didn't get to cover. In both Rorakka Cavern and the Nameless Cave, there's one enemy that has a fairly low appearance rate.

Autumn Tortoise
LIFE: 36
ATK: 34
DEF: 17
INT: 12
Size: Large
Exp: 48
Gold: 20
Item Drops:
-Normal: Summer Foilage - 30% Drop Rate. 3 needed to unlock the Mage's Wand (+10 ATK, +4 mana.)
--Plants from a Summer Tortoise. [sic] (Both the name and description got mixed up with another item.)
Damage Multipliers:
Slash: 50% Blunt: 50% Thrust: 50%

Skills:

Hide in Shell: Multiplies the user's DEF by 120% for 5 turns. Has a speed modifier of 80%.

Autumn Tortoises can be kind of a handful early on, especially since they're resistant to physical attacks. But once you gain a few levels, they won't be so bad when you're able to go toe to toe with them.

Mages don't care about them, though.

Let's check out Rorakka Forest again.

Ye gods!
My my, those flowers certainly spread fast.

We still can't enter this place.

I hear scattered reports but can't make sense of them.

Remember this NPC for a bit later.

Everyone in Miross has their dopey head stuck way up in the clouds!
Yeah, they do have some nice hats.
...No, I don't mean they have fluffy hats! I mean what's inside! Argh, not you too!!

If you're interested in history, sit down! How about Miross University? Do you want to hear about famous people? Or... how I fell in love?
...Any interest I had just vanished in an instant.

And yet, something is still missing. Sure, it's great, but maybe with a little...

Keep this NPC in mind for now.

Their name was, umm, something like, uhhhhh... "Meatball Attack"! Was that it?

Dragons, eh? I wonder how tough they are. Might have rare stuff...

It's a hard place, but we Rushe have settled it. I love my homeland!

Here's another NPC you should remember.

Walking over here automatically triggers a scene.

... Hmm... I can't seem to find a flower like that again, anywhere. I wonder if someone somewhere has taken it?

And here's the 3rd quest we can take.

But to get a better weapon, you need to be powerful. It's so expensive...

Oh, if one were to go missing... or worse! If both of them did!

I'll do anything to help! For her sake, even garden! Or clean the floors!!

To handle one's daily tasks, it's best to calmly sit down and proceed one at a time. Ah! Did you hear that just now?!
Uh huh!
You could have pretended you hadn't, you know...
Oh, uhhh. Oops.

I dunno. It seems to me like a hero always turns up to set things right.

But I'm always afraid of the damage I'll take as I try to run away.

Escaping is mainly based on your SPD stat.

Ha, sorry, I'm just weak! I still help out, though. I'm finding a lost cat.

Is she shy?

Just go over and talk to him. What's so hard about that?

...Okay, I'll humor you. Why?
If you share your struggles and feel the same pains, there can be no discord. Isn't that a better way? Equality for all!
That's kind of a screwed up idea about equality.

If not, many people could lose their lives. By sacrificing some, we save many others.

He told me, "That's just the way it is." I guess he meant it.

Please don't tell anyone I said that.

You also want to keep this NPC in mind.

I've confessed my love to two women... That's two women, and I'm just starting! ...Will they both reject me?
Sometimes the depths of people's stupidity makes me wonder.

Oh dear... I must have left it with the limbs. Oh, with no shears, how can I properly care for the garden maze... What will I do?

And here's the last quest in the prologue.

But, then you still have to throw one out.

Um, you don't have to do that.
Wait, you think you can divide it evenly?! Tell me how!!
Can't you just measure the angles? 120 degrees should get you 3 even slices.
120 degrees? Of course! I was thinking it was impossible... Oh, what a waste... I'm so dumb sometimes.

Hey, you're on the extermination mission? Tough one, eh? I should know, they put me on it before. Let me tell you...

My first step to fix it is to put off lunch. I'm full anyway...

Oh yeah, I missed this Mana Water in the back hall. (Thanks to forums user Efe for letting me know.)

Party Skills are secondary skills that take effect outside of battle. Learning "Gather" skills will let you harvest important materials.

Ha ha ha, you're such a funny man.

But I admit it's easier when no one's staying.

Okay, let's take up these 2 quests.

I'm the gardener caring for this garden maze. However, I carelessly misplaced my shears recently. It's a disaster. So please, Hunters, find my Shears.
Do you have any idea where they could be?
Look around town. Do know that the tool shop just ran out of shears. Someone in the town must have a pair, but how to get them... Might not help, but for now I'll give you a Watering Can. It's not worth a lot, but it'll appeal to anyone interested in gardening. Can you somehow get Shears starting with this? I'm begging you!

Description: Watering can from the garden maze. Handy for watering flowers.

I'm sure you can see where this is going. It's basically just one of those trading quests, though there aren't that many people we have to talk to.

Well now... The soldiers' storeroom is well-equipped with tools. Perhaps they can manage it.

That's actually the final place we need to go, but no one there wants a watering can.

First, we need to talk to this NPC.

Will more water make you healthy again? But how can I water all of you?
Would this help?
Oh, it's a Watering Can! Hey, hey, please give it to me! I could use it to water all my flowers!
Sure! Here you go!
Yay! Thank you! I can water all of my flowers with this. Let me give you this Flower Seed as a thank you! Take some of Miross's beautiful flowers home from your travels ♪

The next step is to talk to this NPC.

This place is so lovely. I want to bring a souvenir back to my friends. Flowers would be perfect. But, they don't really keep well crossing the sea...Hmm... if you find a Flower Seed, tell me. I'd love to take it home. If that's okay by you!
We already have one. Here you go!
Oh, I appreciate this so much! I'll try and grow it back at home. Let me try to thank you. During my journey, I found this Herb. It makes a wonderful smell in the kitchen. Please, do try it.

Next NPC to talk to is this one.

There must be better food somewhere. A dish for me to perfect You! What're those herbs you have?! Show me! Hmm... sniff. Yeah, this is what I'm looking for! Wanna give me this Herb? Come on!
Take them if you're that desperate.
Ah, thank you! With this, I'll be able to perfect a new cuisine! Let me give you the Cookies I baked a while ago. They're excellent.

The last step is to talk to this guy.

Hungry... I'm so hungry. What's there to eat? What's that smell? Oh, it's so good! What've you got?! It's... Cookies!! Oh, I can't stand it. Please give them to me!
Okay okay! Just... stop drooling. Sheesh.
Ohhh... these cookies! They smell heavenly! They'll fill me right up. Right now, they're worth their weight in gold. Let me give you this...
Wait, do you have any shears? We heard you had some in here.
Hm, Shears? Hey, yeah, I have some! Hope they work for you.

That's all for this quest. Let's give these back to the client.

Ah... Thank you so much. I can work again now. I've left a modest token of my appreciation at the Quest Office. And I'll honor your efforts by landscaping this garden beautifully forever.

That's the 3rd quest down, let's get started on the 4th one.

I saw the flower outside of the city, just by chance. When I lost the path, I saw one flower shining pure and white in the darkness... I started walking again, and it's made me healthy. A wise woman said that it only blooms briefly, and it's the Illusory Flower. I wonder if there's a way you could find it somehow? That way, everyone in Miross could see its beauty for themselves. Thank you!
Is there any more you could tell us?

When in doubt, talk to the quest giver again. They sometimes have another hint to give.

Oh, but, the one who told me, the wise woman, might know something. She can usually be found near the big fountain.

I know some people call me that, but it doesn't mean much of anything.
But you've heard of the Illusory Flower, right?
Illusory Flower? ...Oh, that... It's a rare species found only near Miross; very few details are known. It rarely blooms, and is hardy enough to flourish even in harsh conditions. It seems to only bloom in specific circumstances. Those sightings were south. Ah, where were they? I don't know exactly where. A merchant or trader might be your best bet.

Said trader is in the inn.

For real! Rare items are my business. Feel free to look yourself. But the directions will cost you 100G, eh? Sorry, but I have to make a living... I am a merchant.

Whatever. Just spit it out.
Thank you! To find the Illusory Flower, first leave Miross. From the sign to the SW, go twenty steps south. It should bloom there. At least... if you go now, it might still be. I keep cursing myself for not getting it. That a dealer in rarities like me missed it... Can you believe it?

Something I want to point out is that there is another portal up here, but you can't do anything with it yet.

You need to search this spot.

Huh, that was easy.
Watch out! Looks like a lot of bugs are headed this way!

You're thrown into a battle here but...

They're really not much of a threat.

Oh come on, the exact same encounter formation? Mix it up a bit!

That fight did grant our party a level up, at the very least.

This is the Illusory Flower? ...I see. Was it only beautiful while it bloomed alone in that spot, I wonder? In any case, see the Quest Office for a reward.

And that's all the quests we can do in the prologue. Let's turn them in.

The Dagger is a weapon for the Rogue. This will let them use their dagger skills. We don't have one in the party, so it's worthless to us. Our party also leveled up to 7, so let's spend their skill points.

Or rather, try to because some skills in this game need more than 1 skill point to level them up. I'll have to hold off on Stella's skill point for now.

Venom now has a 50% infliction rate, and a poison power of 400%. So it deals 83 Poison damage.

Mana mastery now adds 18.75 damage to mana spells, and applies an 118% multiplier to mana spell speed modifiers.

Heated Words now applies a 122% multiplier to the party's ATK stats.

I'll end things off here for now. Next time, we'll finish up the prologue.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 5, 2017

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Stella is the perfect person for that stupid Shrimp quest.
Only she would feel for someone that's missing a tiny amount of food while also being way too excited about playing detective.
She probably has a checkered hat and a bubble pipe.
And it's good to see Nila, our resident mage and therefore borderline bookworm, nerd out and get into something that does not involve blowing up people.

And now Odyssey can gather five times every day! If only they would be able to find something to gather...
Well, I'm sure it's impossible to find ore in a cave that was clearly used as a mine without some sort of special training.

It's a bit strange how the people of Kazan are all over you for stomping a single bear.
The main export of the city is Hunter guilds so they should be used to that kind of success...
Unless gameplay and lore align and most guilds get eaten by rabbits.
The airhead guild we helped assemble as one of our first quest... We send them to their doom, didn't we?

Wiffle
Jan 5, 2014
You should probably host the updates on lpix or something. There's only two on this page and it's already massive.

Gathering... Not much else to say about it. There are so many bizarre decisions in this game, it's funny that this isn't nearly the worst.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
This game just feels so charming. A shame about all the gameplay problems in it or I'd want to play along with my own party.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Rawkking posted:

This game just feels so charming. A shame about all the gameplay problems in it or I'd want to play along with my own party.

I've played through a large part of the game and I find the lore genuinely interesting, the art and music directions are pretty good, and the combat is brisk and snappy. The game's... questionable design choices don't detract my enjoyment too much, personally, but it's really a pity, because it could've been a really good RPG.

It feels like the game tried to bite more than it could chew at times, and ended up having to rush the game out. The amount of updated text is a sign of this, and there are some other things later in the game that imply the same. It could've used a more rigorous editing/quality testing process.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Wiffle posted:

You should probably host the updates on lpix or something. There's only two on this page and it's already massive.

Gathering... Not much else to say about it. There are so many bizarre decisions in this game, it's funny that this isn't nearly the worst.

You mean the screenshot test poster? I guess I could use that for now. (There was a more elegant solution I was hoping to get up and running, but severe technical difficulties got in the way.)

Gonna try to have the end of the prologue up soon.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

Dr. Fetus posted:

So Kingsblade taught us how to gather. Basically there are certain spots in a dungeon you can search to get some items. And a few NPCs tell us about this, so you'd think this is something you'll be able to do really soon. Yeah here's the problem. We need both a survey skill and a gather skill to be able to do that. We have a gather skill, but when is the earliest we can pick up a survey skill?

Slightly less than halfway through the game, which we aren't even close to yet. Welcome to 7th Dragon.

And to think, I've been backtracking all over the place because I thought I didn't know what a gather spot looked like. Also my party is level 20 now and Blind continues to wear off before I get a single turn to make use of it. Poison and Paralysis have been working just fine for me, so I don't know why it's just Blind.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Flowers sure are pretty, aren't they?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

The lpix update is easier to read somehow. Probably due to larger text and the lack of avatar margin space that cramps up the page.

e: The prologue may run a little long but otherwise I really like how the game handles it. The first dungeon giving you first-hand experience of how dangerous the Bloom is, and also exposure to your first Dragon, helps to give context to the intro sequence and makes you care about the major factions' reactions to the situation. It's a nicely executed hook, in my opinion.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 5, 2017

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Stella Holmes on the job.

New update already; I can see you want to get through the prologue as quickly as possible. Which I can fully understand.

Yeah, the First Dragon is a wimp.
In EO terms he is not even an event boss but more of a glorified F.O.E.

Overall I think the Bloom and sheer amount of dragons are meant to whittle you down.
But since 7th Dragon is turn based and time freezes while you are in the menu its easy to have your HP and TP full for every fight. So that's more an annoyance than a threat.

Aaaand the entire world goes to poo poo.
As far as RPG settings go that is not as generic as it looks. Sure, starting towns blow up regularely but having the entire world destroyed (and it not being directly your fault) is a step up.
Often RPG worlds start out as being overrun by evil but we saw and played how everything was before the dragons came.
It's one story detail that makes 7th Dragon more enjoyable to play: You really know what you are fighting for and don't simply hear tales of better times.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

Looks like there was another scene I missed. It is as you said, I wouldn't have thought to go back and see Doris at that point. Honestly, watching the map slowly fill out with the Bloom during the cutscene was a nice touch, I really got the sense that the world was being overrun. Though what I really like about this game is going to become more apparent in the next few updates.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Oh geez Rick, I think we opened up the Dragon portal, we need to get out of here.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

The end of the prologue and transition to the opening credits is actually really cool to me. Sink into Flowers, World really set the mood and it's kinda making me actually pretty excited for what's to come, even if I suspect it's not all that special.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The official name Dragonsbane doesn't make any sense (aren't they good for dragons?), but the idea of the Bloom always seemed really cool to me. It really makes the dragons feel like this otherworldly force encroaching on the world, while also just being kind of pretty in isolation. Taking damage from stepping on it just seems unfun though.

This opening sequence really reminded me of 2020 though. It's framed almost exactly the same, except instead of cutting to random fantasy kingdoms, it cuts to the President of the United States talking about an invasion of dragons.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Surely destroying the bridge will stop this army of... flying... dragons.

Whoops.

It is a cool sequence though. The prologue makes you think this'll be some light-hearted 'adventurers do all sorts of silly quests!' game, and then suddenly it's the Dragonpocalypse!

Wiffle
Jan 5, 2014
I like how even with the entire world being overrun, no one other than the party has been able to kill a single significant dragon.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Surely destroying the bridge will stop this army of... flying... dragons.

Yeah, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense the way dragons are introduced.
As we will soon see many dragons have sprites that look more like dinosaurs, especially minor ones.
But both for the invasion as well as the First Dragon it's cooler if they look more dragon-y.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wiffle posted:

I like how even with the entire world being overrun, no one other than the party has been able to kill a single significant dragon.

I didn't get the impression that the dragon you fought was significant. It was just one of the same fodder dragons that the President of Kazan was trying to fight many of by himself.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Well then.

:vd: sure just did happen. To the entire planet. Or maybe just this region of it.

Wiffle
Jan 5, 2014

Clarste posted:

I didn't get the impression that the dragon you fought was significant. It was just one of the same fodder dragons that the President of Kazan was trying to fight many of by himself.

By significant I'm talking about the symbol encounter dragons that the counter at the bottom right is tracking.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Oh man, I'm really hoping that counter is in fact a dragon counter, and the party gets to marathon through a whole chunk of them at some point.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Well, that escalated quickly. That bloom seems like an interesting idea in theory that got sort of spoiled in practice.

werbear posted:

This is wonderful and you are a good person.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
We're already the great hope of humanity in the ending scene of the prologue? Did something happen to Kingsblade?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wiffle posted:

By significant I'm talking about the symbol encounter dragons that the counter at the bottom right is tracking.

Oh. Well, I don't know how it works in this game, but in later games it only counts the dragons that you are personally able to kill. I wouldn't be surprised if, for example, the kingdom with the guy who loves swords manages to successfully secure their borders for most of the game until they get invaded by a super-dragon or something.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Efe posted:

Looks like there was another scene I missed. It is as you said, I wouldn't have thought to go back and see Doris at that point. Honestly, watching the map slowly fill out with the Bloom during the cutscene was a nice touch, I really got the sense that the world was being overrun. Though what I really like about this game is going to become more apparent in the next few updates.

I actually discovered that conversation purely by accident. I found out that Menas actually had 2 portraits (I think he's the only NPC that does that), and one only gets used before the dragons invade. So I tried to talk to him so I could rip the sprite (And replace the wrong mugshots in my updates), and stumbled upon that.

werbear posted:

Ha, I'll place that in the OP.

TheFireMagi posted:

Oh man, I'm really hoping that counter is in fact a dragon counter, and the party gets to marathon through a whole chunk of them at some point.

That is actually the dragon counter. Yes, there are actually 666 dragons we have to kill. :suicide: (Later games lowered the amount of dragons severely.)

Rawkking posted:

We're already the great hope of humanity in the ending scene of the prologue? Did something happen to Kingsblade?

We killed a dragon, they didn't. :haw:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

werbear posted:

I personally thank you for this. It is great.

Also I'm surprised that everything went to hell after the prologue but it does make for a more interesting world, full of deadly flowers and deadlier dragons. That said, with how much of a pushover the first one was for a beginner guild, it's kind of hard to believe that the rest would be a threat to the entire world which includes much stronger Hunters. Even if there's 665 of them.

Wiffle
Jan 5, 2014

Clarste posted:

Oh. Well, I don't know how it works in this game, but in later games it only counts the dragons that you are personally able to kill. I wouldn't be surprised if, for example, the kingdom with the guy who loves swords manages to successfully secure their borders for most of the game until they get invaded by a super-dragon or something.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the dragon 'counter' in the series has always represented all the dragons in the area, not the dragons you personally killed. We're on the world map, so right now there are 665 dragons in the world The bloom in dungeons without bosses goes away when the counter hits 0

Rawkking posted:

Let's just say there is a VERY consistent way 7th dragon games treat the players party, if Menas's line in the last update didn't tip you off.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wiffle posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the dragon 'counter' in the series has always represented all the dragons in the area, not the dragons you personally killed. We're on the world map, so right now there are 665 dragons in the world The bloom in dungeons without bosses goes away when the counter hits 0

Again, I don't know about this game, but it sure as hell doesn't work that way in 2020 or VFD. Dozens if not hundreds of dragons get killed offscreen by other powerful organizations without the counter being affected at all.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It is specifically the dragons you kill. A few NPCs mention taking some out offscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiffle
Jan 5, 2014
Alright, good to know. I guess the 666 is just trying to be cool then.