Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

So is this game pretty much Air Buccaneers, but on the water?
Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Thanks!

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
Blackwake 3.0 is due out Soon(tm).

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

This gaem owns.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
3.0 is out and game is on sale.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Vahakyla posted:

3.0 is out and game is on sale.

I want to mess around with it this weekend but has anyone put some time into it? I played for like 10 minutes and charged with teammates into some big but mostly empty fort and I had no idea what was going on.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I too am mostly clueless and haven't played much.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Hexenritter posted:

I too am mostly clueless and haven't played much.

I still have no idea how certain new things work like forts, it seems you spawn at the fort when the match starts and the captains can choose what ship to build (??) and you can get on it and then into the match spawn on the ship, or be teleported from the fort area by a man at the docks to your ship, but i dont know how you get back to the fort if your ship is already at sea other than having your captain go back and drop you off if its being attacked.

The one new thing ive noticed that i like much much better is the new ship damage stuff, its not just a big panel of wall missing, now there's cannonball holes and it looks nicer/better.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

One new thing that I like is that it's possible to aim cannons left and right now, but it's very slow and resets itself to 0 if you leave the cannon.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Is this related to Holdfast: Nations at War in any way? Because the naval combat from that looks a looooot like the OP for this thread.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

feedmegin posted:

Is this related to Holdfast: Nations at War in any way? Because the naval combat from that looks a looooot like the OP for this thread.

I have both and Holdfast's naval combat is way underdeveloped compared to Blackwake, and Holdfast's naval combat hasnt been updated at all since release. However, Holdfast's naval combat lets someone(YOU) play a fiddler as you fight with the cannonballs flying past your head so that's a plus in its favor.

Holdfast has a decent foundation for the naval combat but if that's all you want it's not worth it at all, last time I checked in prime time barely anyone was playing a naval map and I'm not surprised, it needs a lot of work. The land stuff is fun but still very early access.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

PlushCow posted:

I want to mess around with it this weekend but has anyone put some time into it? I played for like 10 minutes and charged with teammates into some big but mostly empty fort and I had no idea what was going on.

This might help

Tutorial video updated for 3.0 including hiw forts work

https://youtu.be/LmWA1B2ktPw

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

drunkill posted:

This might help

Tutorial video updated for 3.0 including hiw forts work

https://youtu.be/LmWA1B2ktPw

That did help, thanks. Also learned that grappling makes you immune to ships still sailing shooting at you. Good to know.

I think the core game is in a pretty good place now, been having a lot of fun past few nights playing in random matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Holy poo poo this game is so much fun. Picked it up on the weekend for 45% off and would happily have paid full price. There's minimal polish and maximal jank, but that's ok because it's a 2 person dev team and it's pretty clear they're putting as much effort as possible into the core game loop of "shot gun at bote"

Game is better with a mic, best with a group. Pubbies aren't universally terrible, which is nice, and the game isn't yet big enough to have a toxic-by-default community. On average people are friendly and helpful and crews are big enough that having some guy loving off all match isn't going to hurt that much. Even when you have a rough go as a captain, people are pretty quick to forgive and forget as long as you keep them provided with targets.

also watch this it's very helpful (although the ingame tips are generally enough to keep you informed while being unobtrusive)

e: I think it's still on sale, pick it up and let's get some more goonbote action

ChickenWing fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 28, 2018

• Locked thread