Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
We're getting our blue passports back. At a cost of £500m pounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

serious gaylord posted:

We're getting our blue passports back. At a cost of £500m pounds.

Please tell me this is an April Fool's post Serious Gaylord?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
That's good timing mine expires in November

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Don't laugh. Blue passports will restore our Great British Sexual Potency and undo our acrimonious, humiliating divorces.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
It's a pity, really. I already have a blue passport and a red passport. I was thinking maybe the British passport could be purple? I mean why not

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

big scary monsters posted:

You may both be right but it's not relevant to Scotland because in Scotland we make whisky.

The e was added in the late 1800s to differentiate the good stuff from the low grade trash the Scots were producing at the time

The whisk(e)y market is the perfect storm of the sunk cost fallacy, the placebo effect and the complete failure of standards and practices to have any meaningful effect

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Prince John posted:

Please tell me this is an April Fool's post Serious Gaylord?

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/848278001687162881

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

April fools is over now isn't it

They're actually loving doing this

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The joke was Britain all along. April's Fools!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Crane Fist posted:

The e was added in the late 1800s to differentiate the good stuff from the low grade trash the Scots were producing at the time

The whisk(e)y market is the perfect storm of the sunk cost fallacy, the placebo effect and the complete failure of standards and practices to have any meaningful effect

Knowing nothing about this, I am curious to know about it (and also what actually constitutes a good whisk(e)y).

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Wonder where they got the 500m figure from

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Knowing nothing about this, I am curious to know about it (and also what actually constitutes a good whisk(e)y).

Whisky attributes go include floral to sweet to smoky. Waitrose did a handy guide based on these. I like the one beginning with auch. Milroys of soho is a nice place to try a range of different ones and the barmaid there goes brafree

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

First positive of Brexit.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Might renew mine early once they're blue again.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Pissflaps posted:

Might renew mine early once they're blue again.

... why?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

So I can replace my obsolete burgundy passport with a new blue one?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Pissflaps posted:

Are you happy to not have a EU passport?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
When can I get one

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blue is a manky colour for a passport, they should be red.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

What is the benefit of it being blue, instead of burgundy?
Beyond the burgundy one stating I'm a member of an international community I hope I get to remain part of?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pochoclo posted:

Are you happy to not have a EU passport?

No because I'd rather the uk wasn't leaving the eu.

mehall posted:

What is the benefit of it being blue, instead of burgundy?
Beyond the burgundy one stating I'm a member of an international community I hope I get to remain part of?

No benefit at all I just prefer the colour.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
Personally I'd prefer the 500 million

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Gum posted:

Personally I'd prefer the 500 million

I kind of thought it was implied we'd be spending the boris bus money on the NHS rather than passports but I guess this is technically making use of the extra funding.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

spectralent posted:

I kind of thought it was implied we'd be spending the boris bus money on the NHS rather than passports but I guess this is technically making use of the extra funding.

Spend 500 million in a company owned by a tory donator, which gives the tories back 50%, pockets 45%, and uses only 5% to do a poo poo job on the passports TAKE BACK ARERERE CANTRY

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Blue is a manky colour for a passport, they should be red.

If they keep the same shade of blue as the old ones, they will be more or less black.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Paxman posted:

What's this about Galloway teaming up with Arron Banks?

They both are massive Brexit backers.

Galloway's using Banks' new website Westmonster as a glorified campaign blog.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Since the real brexit shitstorm has now started can we get a Corbyn containment thread so I don't have to read the same arguments again for another month?

please mods, please :pray:

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Isn't it more that the £500m figure is because passports will have to be altered anyway, and they're just switching up the colour in the process because they know it'll appease one half of the country while the other half won't really care? The Express are going for the "Blue's Bringing Britishness Back Baby" angle because they're the Express.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'll give a brief example: sherry cask aged whisky, an expensive sub-type that we manufactured onsite. We bought a couple of new casks, cheap pine things, filled them with cheap sherry for a day, rebottled the sherry, then filled the casks again with generic ten quid a bottle scotch. After three days we bottled the whisky and sold it for hundreds of pounds apiece, receiving rave reviews for the complex flavour and notes of blah blah etc. All perfectly legit.

One of the big secrets of whisk(e)y retail is that the flavour stops changing after 10 years, so a 50 year old Glenfiddich tastes the same as a 25 or a 10, and the only differences are made by the variations in the ingredients and in the mind of the drinker. The whole business is breathtakingly cynical

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

HJB posted:

Isn't it more that the £500m figure is because passports will have to be altered anyway, and they're just switching up the colour in the process because they know it'll appease one half of the country while the other half won't really care? The Express are going for the "Blue's Bringing Britishness Back Baby" angle because they're the Express.

You're right

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

vodkat posted:

Since the real brexit shitstorm has now started can we get a Corbyn containment thread so I don't have to read the same arguments again for another month?

Corbyn is a large part of British politics. So no.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Crane Fist posted:

One of the big secrets of whisk(e)y retail is that the flavour stops changing after 10 years, so a 50 year old Glenfiddich tastes the same as a 25 or a 10, and the only differences are made by the variations in the ingredients and in the mind of the drinker. The whole business is breathtakingly cynical

For christ's sake don't tell everyone, you'll scupper a whole sector of the Scottish economy.

edit: If you want to see real bullshit artists work their magic you need to meet the marketing teams of some of my local distilleries, they call to mind that old Bill Hicks routine imploring ad men to kill themselves.

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 2, 2017

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TomViolence posted:

For christ's sake don't tell everyone, you'll scupper a whole sector of the Scottish economy.

edit: If you want to see real bullshit artists work their magic you need to meet the marketing teams of some of my local distilleries, they call to mind that old Bill Hicks routine imploring ad men to kill themselves.

Brexit is coming, soon everyone in the thread is going to be drinking nothing but rainwater anyway

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Who actually pays attention to whisky marketing, don't normal people just taste various labels and decide which thing they like most?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I was always struck by Raymond chandlers characters opting for teachers but I suppose as it's sweet it's a good drink for a man and wife to enjoy together

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i want a hot pink passport

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

vodkat posted:

You want a uk politics thread that doesn't include the Labour Party leader?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Pissflaps posted:

I think most sane people want that, at this point.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pissflaps posted:

Well no-one wants their nose rubbed in their mess once, never mind regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Well no-one wants their nose rubbed in their mess once, never mind regularly.

Shame all that energy going into trying to prove that they're right can't go into something more productive.

• Locked thread