Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

KomodoWagon posted:

"I want to make a medieval fantasy political drama, but I don't have a creative or interesting bone in my body. Oh, I know! I'll spice it up with a shitload of plape."
-GRRM

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

KomodoWagon posted:

"I want to make a medieval fantasy political drama, but I don't have a creative or interesting bone in my body. Oh, I know! I'll spice it up with a shitload of rape."
-GRRM

I was referring to the show, not the books.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think Breaking Bad was a victim of its own success. The premise wasn't meant to sustain a show for that long, and for some reason they refused to make major changes to the status quo. So Hank couldn't find out about Walt until near the end of the show, nothing really bad could happen to Walt, etc. It hurt their ability to tell a good story by forcing characters to arbitrarily not figure poo poo out for really stupid reasons.

why couldnt marie figure out that they were minerals, not rocks?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

General Dog posted:

Skylar literally does nothing wrong, HOWEVER, Walt is our protagonist from beginning to end. No matter how much heinous stuff he does, the show is told from his perspective, and from his perspective Skylar is an incredibly antagonistic presence for the duration of the series.

So despite how right Skylar is and how wrong Walt is at every turn, it's incredibly disingenuous to yell at the viewer and go "wow, if you hate Slyler you're a sick misogynist". A sick misogynist is our lense to the world of the show; the show is meticulously crafted to ensure we hate Skylar.

She laundered money, colluded with a meth dealer, committed adultery, allowed her children to be exposed to all of this, was flat out told by a lawyer that she is an accessory after the fact to every little thing that Walt did.

She's hardly innocent.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Oh and...

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
its the greatest show eber created by mankind op

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Haha lol Jesse's drinking the water but his face clearly shows how uncomfortable he is!!! Hilarious. Fantastic writing. Great show.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Alienwarehouse posted:

I was referring to the show, not the books.

Wow okay then replace "GRRM" with the name of whatever unimportant hack jamoke makes that boring, awful loving show.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

KomodoWagon posted:

Wow okay then replace "GRRM" with the name of whatever unimportant hack jamoke makes that boring, awful loving show.

Game of Thrones is an entertaining show with great production values.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Alienwarehouse posted:

It's a terrible show that wastes a good cast, but yes, it does have nice production.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
please stop arguimg about game of thrones and go watch breaking bad, the best show in the world

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
a friend of mine didn't know the last season of breaking bad was split into two parts and so she just watched the first part finale, which ends with hank on the shitter realizing that walt is the drug lord, and then he looks up with this oh crap face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC4tAK231mw

and she thought for like more than a year that was how the show ended, with hank taking a dump realizing he'd been owned

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Alienwarehouse posted:

I'm telling you it isn't. I'm simultaneously amused and saddened that your terrible, dysfunctional ape-like brain is incapable of parsing such a simple, obvious fact.

KomodoWagon fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 1, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Enfield posted:

please stop arguimg about game of thrones and go watch breaking bad, the best show in the world

the wire is better but breaking bad is up there. it's in the top tier, just under the wire

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i watched the first two seasons of better call saul but it seemed kind of directionless. the great thing about breaking bad is that it just goes pedal to the netal from start to finish. everyone arguing about whether or not so and so was a bad person or not just goes to show how complex the characters were and how they developed throughout the show, reacting to a unbelievable premises in a very believable, and human, manner (imo)

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot

oliveoil posted:

I'm getting into the fifth season and am finding the show unwatchable. At first, I liked seeing how Walt and Jesse solved the increasingly crazy problems they encountered, but at this points it's just Old Man Abuses His Wife: The Show and it's just cringy to watch.

The reason people took to the show (dudebros basically) was because the show deliberately made the audience sympathize with Walt's prediment as much as possible. What man doesn't feel caged by life? The show amped up Walt's sense of being helpless and emasculated as much as possible that him selling and producing meth was made to feel like his only way out under the circumstances.

Also consider the contrast that's drawn between the two central couples in the show -- Hank and Marie (Walt's in-laws) and and Walt and Skylar. Hank is masculine, authoritative, cocky alpha male, and his wife is, well, fairly feminine, demure, loving, etc.

Walt on the other hand is painted as not being as much of a "man" as Hank, and as evidence, Walt's wife is...well, Skylar: Pouty, seemingly unloving, ball-busting, always whining etc.

This is why the audience loathed Skylar White: The writers depicted her as a shrew.

The promise the show offers by implication is that Walt's journey will be a journey in which he will transform into a winner like Hank.

Obviously as appealing as this setup was to a lot of dudes (and it did appeal to them) it ended up rubbing a lot of people the wrong way, and eventually Walt was written to be an "abuser" and Skylar White his "victim" thereby satisfying the SJW gods.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aging Millenial posted:

The reason people took to the show (dudebros basically) was because the show deliberately made the audience sympathize with Walt's prediment as much as possible. What man doesn't feel caged by life? The show amped up Walt's sense of being helpless and emasculated as much as possible that him selling and producing meth was made to feel like his only way out under the circumstances.

Also consider the contrast that's drawn between the two central couples in the show -- Hank and Marie (Walt's in-laws) and and Walt and Skylar. Hank is masculine, authoritative, cocky alpha male, and his wife is, well, fairly feminine, demure, loving, etc.

Walt on the other hand is painted as not being as much of a "man" as Hank, and as evidence, Walt's wife is...well, Skylar: Pouty, seemingly unloving, ball-busting, always whining etc.

This is why the audience loathed Skylar White: The writers depicted her as a shrew.

The promise the show offers by implication is that Walt's journey will be a journey in which he will transform into a winner like Hank.

Obviously as appealing as this setup was to a lot of dudes (and it did appeal to them) it ended up rubbing a lot of people the wrong way, and eventually Walt was written to be an "abuser" and Skylar White his "victim" thereby satisfying the SJW gods.

Nah

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
how far into the wire do I have to get before it starts getting good?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

you just have to strip a little of the insulation and lick the metal part

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lol AM is literally incapable of processing interpersonal relationships beyond "alpha chad/beta cuck"

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's a terrible show that wastes a good cast, but yes, it does have nice production.

It doesn't have the best writing, but I don't think it tries to. I enjoy it for the sets, scenery, dark humor, and The Hound. I think comparing anything to a perfectly written show like Breaking Bad is a bit farcical.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alienwarehouse posted:

It doesn't have the best writing, but I don't think it tries to. I enjoy it for the sets, scenery, dark humor, and The Hound. I think comparing anything to a perfectly written show like Breaking Bad is a bit farcical.

Source your quotes dude

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
People would have liked skyler better if she didn't gain weight in the later seasons and wore skimpier clothing.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
It was a good show. gently caress that Gail guy tho. Walter also drives the same model car as one that I own at the end (not the Aztek.)

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"Sure, the writing is awful, but it's a good show!" is the kind of thing an idiot with lovely taste in media would let dribble from their retarded, fat lips

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

couple episodes, the show needs a little while to introduce all the characters and set things in motion

nsfw tits and rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhaZunwvW5o

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 1, 2017

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

KomodoWagon posted:

"Sure, the writing is awful, but it's a good show!" is the kind of thing an idiot with lovely taste in media would let dribble from their retarded, fat lips

You remind me of the 10 year old kid who's still getting breastfed in the show.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Alienwarehouse posted:

You remind me of the 10 year old kid who's still getting breastfed in the show.

That's funny, you remind me of an actual puddle of developmentally stunted diarrhea poo poo

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KomodoWagon posted:

That's funny, you remind me of an actual puddle of developmentally stunted diarrhea poo poo

dont sign youre posts

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Skylar was a bitch to Walt in the first episode before Walt ever did anything wrong

she literally made him eat turkey bacon on his birthday

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Autists slap fight on a dead comedy forum, over a show that has been off the air for four years.

Water is indeed wet. More news at 5.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VendaGoat posted:

Autists slap fight on a dead comedy forum, over a show that has been off the air for four years.

Water is indeed wet. More news at 5.

Actually we've moved on to slap fighting over a show that's still inexplicably airing. I'll accept your apology by check or wire transfer.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Walter White is a badass who does badass things op

stump collector
May 28, 2007

boner confessor posted:

a friend of mine didn't know the last season of breaking bad was split into two parts and so she just watched the first part finale, which ends with hank on the shitter realizing that walt is the drug lord, and then he looks up with this oh crap face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC4tAK231mw

and she thought for like more than a year that was how the show ended, with hank taking a dump realizing he'd been owned

that seems like a really good place to end it

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
first season or two was good and fairly grounded then it turned into a cartoon soap opera for retards

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mr. Unlucky posted:

first season or two was good and fairly grounded then it turned into a cartoon soap opera for retards

if you have any recommendations for cartoon soap operas for cool dudes I'm interested in watching them.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
what about cowboyb eepbop :)

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
people keep saying the best tv show ever is breaking bad or the wire or sopranos but all of you idiots are sleeping on the real number 1. bullet in the face

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
The show was pretty good but it goes to show you how powerful a bad episode can be I stopped watching after the whole episode was trying to catch a fly in the lab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Maybe you're just not smart enough to get it, like me and Walter White, who are both very smart.

• Locked thread