Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zentrenched
Jun 7, 2005

It's all noise to me.
Thor has a magic belt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zentrenched posted:

Thor has a magic belt?

It hasn't shown up yet in the movies but yes. Increases his strength.

3peat
May 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nkboMqYhSA

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I didn't know michael keaton was in this. Getting birdman to play the vulture is so good, and he managed to be both somewhat sympathetic and menacing at the same time.

Steve2911 posted:

I mean, he probably had options to profit from the situation that weren't literal death rays.

Him justifying himself with reference to noted weapons dealer tony stark was great though.

JOHN SKELETON posted:

There's a long scence where Spiderman is trapped in a warehouse and flirts with his Stark-made AI suit computer that feels super odd.

I loved that sequence, it was exactly how i think of spider-man, except usually he would be talking to himself or in thought bubbles so having the a.i to bounce off of was a good way translate it to the screen.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I liked how this movie is very much just us seeing Spider-Man learning how to use these awesome gifts. This is a kid who was able to really show off what he can do in Civil War but now I get the feeling that was just him trying really hard to impress the cool kids.

Like when he's webbing across buildings and falls down and slides twenty feet and then just yells out I'm okay to nobody. That's a really child-like thing to do.

I've never seen a Spider-Man movie where I actually thought this is just some kid who's happy to have powers and has no idea how to use them. This is my favorite superhero movie so far and I really can't wait to see what else is in store.

I'm happy about this. Tom Holland is Spider-Man.

Serf
May 5, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

This is wrong. Tony Stark is the villain. Spider-Man is a tool of Tony Stark throughout the entire movie until the danger (of using a 15 year old boy as a weapon) outweighs the benefits and Tony drops him like a rock. Tony Stark: lovely Person, lovely Father Figure.

Oh you're definitely right. But after Peter rejects Toomes' offer of class consciousness in favor of that lovely Father Figure, he becomes just as much a villain as Stark.

Also I liked that the Vulture in this movie literally makes his living picking through the remains of the dead. When he says that people like him are forced to eat only the scraps of the rich, he's being very literal.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Serf posted:

Oh you're definitely right. But after Peter rejects Toomes' offer of class consciousness in favor of that lovely Father Figure, he becomes just as much a villain as Stark.

Also I liked that the Vulture in this movie literally makes his living picking through the remains of the dead. When he says that people like him are forced to eat only the scraps of the rich, he's being very literal.

Yeah. Totally. Peter should have just let the proletariat warrior keep on making death machines that would put other proletariats in danger and possibly help some other dudes destroy the world. That's definitely the heroic thing to do.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Serf posted:

That's not what Peter does though. He rejects an offer to turn a blind eye to black market WMD distribution. He's a 14 year old and neither understands or cares about the great class implications, or what a lovely person Tony is. But even if he did it wouldn't matter because Toomes is selling loving space nukes to petty criminals.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Exactly. It's not like Vulture was aiming his weapons at overthrowing capitalist pigs. He was just making them and selling them to anybody with enough money to pay for them. How does that make him any better than Tony Stark?

As far as I'm concerned, they're both capitalist death dealers. The only difference is one cares about who he sells his poo poo too and the other is like "Whatever. Might as well get mine while I can."

He's no better than Tony Stark.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Peter isn't going to stand by and watch Toomes get away with it. He tried that recently with a petty thief and it didn't work out well for him.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

That's not what Peter does though. He rejects an offer to turn a blind eye to black market WMD distribution. He's a 14 year old and neither understands or cares about the great class implications, or what a lovely person Tony is. But even if he did it wouldn't matter because Toomes is selling loving space nukes to petty criminals.

Actually, now that I think about it Toomes actually didn't offer Peter anything in that scene did he? He admitted it was all just to keep him talking to get his trap up and running. So yeah, my bad on that point. Toomes probably didn't think to try and turn Peter, or reckoned he was too far gone.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Serf posted:

Actually, now that I think about it Toomes actually didn't offer Peter anything in that scene did he? He admitted it was all just to keep him talking to get his trap up and running. So yeah, my bad on that point. Toomes probably didn't think to try and turn Peter, or reckoned he was too far gone.

Oh right, yeah. I thought you meant the car scene where he was told he could live if he didn't interfere (which was a step up from "I will definitely kill Spiderman").

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Steve2911 posted:

Oh right, yeah. I thought you meant the car scene where he was told he could live if he didn't interfere (which was a step up from "I will definitely kill Spiderman").

It's weird because on the one hand you have to sympathize with the guy but on the other hand he's totally a dick. I guess I'm saying Michael Keaton is the best thing to happen to the MCU and I'm glad he's back in superhero films.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Agree wholeheartedly.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah, Keaton had a very quiet air of menace to him in that whole sequence. Everything from Peter opening the door to Liz's house up to him leaving the dance was just perfect due to how well Keaton and Holland played off of each other. The deal he made with Peter was definitely a step up from what you see in most comics, as it seemed like he recognized that Peter was just a kid and could probably be intimidated.

Also shout-out to Bokeem Woodbine as Shocker. That dude was great as Mike Milligan in Fargo and I hope they bring him back for the sequel. He put on a pretty low-key performance that ramped up as his character got more comfortable with things.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Serf posted:

Yeah, Keaton had a very quiet air of menace to him in that whole sequence. Everything from Peter opening the door to Liz's house up to him leaving the dance was just perfect due to how well Keaton and Holland played off of each other. The deal he made with Peter was definitely a step up from what you see in most comics, as it seemed like he recognized that Peter was just a kid and could probably be intimidated.

Also shout-out to Bokeem Woodbine as Shocker. That dude was great as Mike Milligan in Fargo and I hope they bring him back for the sequel. He put on a pretty low-key performance that ramped up as his character got more comfortable with things.

Toombs also realizes that if it weren't for Spider-Man, his daughter could very well be dead thanks to the elevator incident, so a life for a life. He spared Peter because he saved Liz, but made an explicit warning to not get involved anymore, and Peter is just too stubborn for that. It was a nice switch up from most Spider-Man movies where the villain learns Peter's love interest and goes to kill her. Liz being Toombs daughter made that highly unlikely, so it was a breath of fresh air.

Goddamn, I loved Michael Keaton. He nailed it.

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

This movie is like freaks and geeks:Spider-Man edition, and it's great for it.

The screenplay was partially written John Francis Daley AKA Sam Weir -- I can see the resemblance!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Hollismason posted:

Yeah Tony Stark is a total poo poo bag in this film . Also he programmed in a instant kill program into Spider- Mans suit. A suit he then gave to a young man who he was grooming to be some sort of murderous tool. Like if that doesn't tell you his motives for SPider Man I don't think anything would. Vulture is actually right when he tells Peter that billionaires don't care about people like them. He basically makes a suit for Parker then puts him into a super hero brawl where he's almost killed . Then once he's done he drops him like a rock and tells his body guard that obviously doesn't give a poo poo about Spider Man or what he's doing to look after him..

Like Tony Stark is the other villain in the film.

The mode you're complaining about was not supposed to be used. It was in the suit, but Pete did not have access to it until he tampered with the suit and gained access to more gizmos. I took its addition to be more of a joke than anything else.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Shinjobi posted:

The mode you're complaining about was not supposed to be used.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

Society literally bankrupts him while being condescending in the process.

Well, in real life that isn't how contracts work. Unless you work for Donald Trump.

Most cities, while they sometimes drag their feet on payments and stuff will pay their contracted duties unless you're breaking contract or they just run out of money entirely as per Detroit. Toomes and crew would've been compensated or at the very least have the legal option to get money owed eventually for the initial investments. I mean this is a universe where top secret alien tech is transported in easy-to-break-into trucks and there are no real guards at the facility for exploding energy cells but still.
'
I mean I could nitpick so many things about the movie and it kind of doesn't matter. The point of the movie is supposed to be he got put in a lovely situation and he wasn't really a bad guy he just had psychotic tendencies brought on by stressful situations and the possibility of losing his family and livelihood. I mean even when he straight up kills Shocker accidentally it isn't like he did it because it felt good to hurt people , the guy was just too stupid to live.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

It is probably a huge reach considering age difference but is that girl with white hair possibly black cat.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 8, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah she stuck out to me as well and it was a kind of obvious choice by who ever made the film because the camera follows her motion so there was attention called to her.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Argue posted:

MJ totally knows Peter is Spider-man, doesn't she? From before the movie even starts. Hence her stalking them for no apparent reason.

100%, she was visibly eavesdropping in the gym scene where Ned is grilling Peter. Zendaya in general is great in this. The bit with her and Martin Start about the Washington Monument being built by slaves was really good.

Flash bragging about branzino to his date was definitely an ASM reference, right?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I just realized, unless I missed something this spider man doesn't seem to have a spider sense, or if he does the movie never calls attention to it. Not complaining, just interesting since in a way that's generally been his signature power.

After credits scene spoiler It's Cap doing a meta joke about after credits scenes.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Black Cat: The High School Years, Freeform dramedy of the year

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Just got back from the movie, and here are my immediate thoughts...

- I was struck with how different mine and my wife's reactions were to Tom Holland's Spider-Man. I work at a boarding school and am around teens all day, while she is rarely around kids. She walked away feeling very annoyed with Spidey, while I thought it was a spot-on rendition. The minute my wife remarked, "I think I could handle him better in small doses." It hit me, "Yes, then he really nailed the whole teenager thing."

- If anyone in 2007 had predicted, "Within 10 years, Loki and The Vulture will be the best on-screen Marvel villains," I would have told them how full of poo poo they were. Yet here we are. Michael Keaton's take on Vulture is the first MCU villain in the movies to actually rival Tom Hiddleston as Loki. He acted circles around everyone else in the film, and the performances were all good. Keaton is just on another level with comic adaptations.

- I did feel like there were some parts that drug on too long. Tom Holland chasing the van seemed like it took forever. I also thought a lot of the school scenes and the D.C. trip simply took forever. And I agree with everyone that already said the female characters in this movie were total window dressing to provide bolt-on motivation or plot obstacles.

- I don't really know why this movie gave Michelle so much screen time. She added nothing but an occasional moment of comic relief, and saying, "My friends call me MJ," when it's fairly obvious she isn't that MJ made no sense."

- [spoiler]It's kind of exciting to have a cast of competent actors under the MCU's watch to set up Sinister Six. I would've hate to see Sony take that on their own.

Overall, it was a well done movie but didn't resonate with me as much as others. All the MCU movies are 'family friendly' and have something for everyone, but this one was especially aimed at teens and 'tweens.

Edit: Also, this movie had the weakest score in a long time for an MCU movie.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Doronin posted:

- I don't really know why this movie gave Michelle so much screen time. She added nothing but an occasional moment of comic relief, and saying, "My friends call me MJ," when it's fairly obvious she isn't that MJ made no sense."

She is though, for all intents and purposes. She's not a white redhead and she doesn't have the same personality, but I don't see any reason to think she won't play the same role going forward.

She was also the best character gently caress you.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

She is though, for all intents and purposes. She's not a white redhead and she doesn't have the same personality, but I don't see any reason to think she won't play the same role going forward.

When I think MJ my only reference is the Kirsten Dunst one - and compared to her Michelle might as well be a completely new character. I agree she's cool though and as such hope they don't just turn her into a boring love interest (emphasis on boring) going forward.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Vulture was goddamn amazing and Michael Keaton is a treasure. I thought it'd be hard to top Alfred Molina's Doc Ock but here we are. Awesome movie.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I was thinking about Keaton's character more and I start to lose the sympathy for him that the movie tries to build up.

I get the whole "provide for my family" angle, but holy gently caress, look at his house! That place has to cost like $3 or $4 million for being that close to NYC. You could have lived in a much more reasonably priced house, saved your money, and been out of the game after a point with enough to provide for your family. Like, you just got greedy as gently caress after a point, dude. Did you have an endgame, or were you just going to be an arms dealer until you were 65 and could collect Social Security?

Also, you're not Walter White dying of cancer. Losing a contract sucks and going bankrupt sucks, but people have recovered from that without going into arms dealing.

I dunno, his whole speech about the little guy felt really hollow after we realize that dope rear end house is his. I will literally never be able to afford that kind of house, and you're supposed to be the man of the people?

I guess ultimately, that's the point, he is a villain after all.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Doronin posted:

Just got back from the movie, and here are my immediate thoughts...

Edit: Also, this movie had the weakest score in a long time for an MCU movie.

On the other hand, opening with an orchestral version of the Spider-Man 67 theme song put a big smile on my face.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Michael Giacchino did the score for this, correct? Feels like his music is everywhere now.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

WampaLord posted:

I imagine if he just actually went to Stark with his grievance as he was told to do, Tony would have paid him off for those cars and whatever, and maybe even give him a job.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Avalerion posted:

I imagine if he just actually went to Stark with his grievance as he was told to do, Tony would have paid him off for those cars and whatever, and maybe even give him a job.

What is this based on?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

WampaLord posted:

I was thinking about Keaton's character more and I start to lose the sympathy for him that the movie tries to build up.

I get the whole "provide for my family" angle, but holy gently caress, look at his house! That place has to cost like $3 or $4 million for being that close to NYC. You could have lived in a much more reasonably priced house, saved your money, and been out of the game after a point with enough to provide for your family. Like, you just got greedy as gently caress after a point, dude. Did you have an endgame, or were you just going to be an arms dealer until you were 65 and could collect Social Security?

Also, you're not Walter White dying of cancer. Losing a contract sucks and going bankrupt sucks, but people have recovered from that without going into arms dealing.

I dunno, his whole speech about the little guy felt really hollow after we realize that dope rear end house is his. I will literally never be able to afford that kind of house, and you're supposed to be the man of the people?

I dunno, I was just thinking about it and I like the parallel between him and Walter White (which is super duper obviously what they were going for here). They're different aspects of debilitating financial struggle for working class Americans, but honestly, if you're a small business owner and you go bankrupt it's as debilitating as a serious illness for you and your family. Walter White is clearly the villain of Breaking Bad, but the difference between Walt and Adrian is that Breaking Bad allows you to clearly see the evil building up inside of Walt through five seasons, whereas the only really evil thing Adrian does beyond his job (which, don't get me wrong, is definitely not right or good) is vaporize Logan Marshall-Green, which is weirdly played off as "i definitely did not mean to kill him, but I clearly have no problem with having killed him".

I imagine it's like a lot of other people in an illegal and/or immoral line of work: you start it because you have to, and at a certain point if you're good enough at it, you've done enough bad things that you can justify doing just one more thing until you've got a bunch of criminals on the streets of New York City using your weapons to break ATMs and steal cash, but you have a nice house and your family is comfortable.

Avalerion posted:

I'd like to think that he would never actually get far enough up the line to ever confront Tony Stark, and the bureaucracy wouldn't have any pity for him. But I will explore that more in the pilot I'm writing called "Damage Control" that will star Michael Keaton, Logan Marshall Green, Bokeem Woodbine, Garcelle Beauvais and Tyne Daly.

edit: also Tony Stark is an rear end in a top hat soooo

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Michael Giacchino did the score for this, correct? Feels like his music is everywhere now.

And yet his music is nowhere because it barely exists.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Avalerion posted:

His buddies made a comment about it all being "rigged." Rich get richer kinda thing. If you have it engrained in your mind that the rich guy is just gonna gently caress you over some more than why bother? He cited Stark as justification for his weapon-dealing. I imagine the motivation for a character like Toomes is "if these fuckers can get rich doing bad poo poo then so can I." His look of disdain and amusement at Iron Man's helmet as he's stealing Iron Man's poo poo sold it for me. To Toomes, he's just playing ball in a lovely world. But like most people that start with "good" intentions, eventually the game takes over and he comes another greedy psycho.

I really liked Vulture.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Steve2911 posted:

And yet his music is nowhere because it barely exists.

he probably half-assed it while he was working on the (by all accounts, much better) score for War for the Planet of the Apes

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah the score for this was dismally forgettable, a new low for Giacchino

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah the score for this was dismally forgettable, a new low for Giacchino

I don't think you're allowed to be called a great film composer these days unless you have at least one half-assed superhero movie on your resume.

• Locked thread