Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Old Grey Guy posted:

Not quite. Home computer CRTs had a fixed aspect ratio of 4:3 like TVs, and anything they displayed was scaled and stretched to that aspect ratio precisely. People used the adjust buttons to get that ratio right, not for bending it to anything else. And, regardless of any choice of resolution, the end result in front of the user's eyes would always be a filled screen in a 4:3 ratio, with no letteraboxing, and there wouldn't be missing rows, either. (CRTs don't work that way, there's one cathode ray drawing on the screen from top to bottom filling the entire screen as it goes, it's an entirely different technology from modern flat screens with an entirely different behaviour.) Programmers new this very well, and whenever anyone chose resolutions like 320x200 it was absolutely clear that they would end up being stretched and bent into that one 4:3 aspect ratio. No matter what, the game was destined to appear in 4:3 in the user's eyes, and it was exactly that way that everyone played it. Back in the day, there was no widescreen outside of a cinema, and definitely none for home use CRTs. I remember it well as I've spent countless years of my working life (and playing computer games, too) in front of CRTs.

Still, it's your LP, I'm enjoying it and the way you handle the game, so go right ahead and don't let me stop you. :)

My scan is from the original, physical, printed map that came with the game. For everything else, see above.

I appreciate the input, thanks! I never thought I'd want a giant CRT monitor again, but I might see if my folks have one stashed away sometime so I can play around with stuff like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 11 - Foreign Tongues
Successfully communicating with the lizardmen will be a challenging task. One which we eschew for the time being as we explore their settlement and the surrounding area.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 12, 2017

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
The "learning the lizardman language" puzzle is the part of Ultima Underworld that everyone remembers, I think; it certainly stuck with me.

RIP in peace, Looking Glass Studios. This puzzle is emblematic of the way they did things, and I loved it. Not one of those tired old arbitrary logic puzzles we've all seen in hundreds of games before (that probably came out after Underworld), or a Resident-Evil-esque "key to find a key to find a key" loop, but an organic and interesting challenge that fit perfectly into the game world and fiction.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I am really loving this LP.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
About unidentified potions and items: everything will show up as plain items until your lore + int + random chance combine to let you know what the thing actually is. Looking at everything in your inventory every now and again increases your chance of identifying things; you may be carrying magical stuff without being aware that you do. Also, that spare grey key can be dropped, there's two of them in the game.

Tosa thit sstresh?

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Antistar01 posted:

The "learning the lizardman language" puzzle is the part of Ultima Underworld that everyone remembers, I think; it certainly stuck with me.

Yeah coming back to it was good times.

Nice piece of fish posted:

I am really loving this LP.

Glad to hear it!

Old Grey Guy posted:

About unidentified potions and items: everything will show up as plain items until your lore + int + random chance combine to let you know what the thing actually is. Looking at everything in your inventory every now and again increases your chance of identifying things; you may be carrying magical stuff without being aware that you do. Also, that spare grey key can be dropped, there's two of them in the game.

Tosa thit sstresh?

Cool, I'll try to keep that in mind. I'll probably drop the extra key at a stash eventually if I remember. As for the rest, well...suffice to say lizardman speech episode has been recorded and is coming tomorrow, which will hopefully be interesting to see.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
I'm going to be late posting episode notes for the next few days, as I'm on vacation and have only sporadic Internet access. That's also why this episode's notes were delayed. I took a lot of notes: I transcribed the entire text of our conversations with lizardmen, so that once we get more data we'll be able to go back and figure out what they were saying to us.

Since I'm more than a screenfull behind the video link, no spoiler tags this time.

pre:
Speak SAHF to gain tracking.

Lizardman conversation went like this:

Bica, sor'click.
(What?)
Tosa thit eppa Urgo. Thit eppa Sseetharee.  ("Talk to Sseetharee"?)

Maybe he said "Do not talk to Urgo. Talk to Sseetharee."
If so, then his name is Urgo and we've learned a couple of words.
Or maybe Urgo is the word "me". Probably a name, I'd guess.

Second lizardman we talked to, the conversation went like this:

Bica, sor'click.
(Bica to thee also.)
Tosa yeshor'click Thepa?
(What?)
Tosa thit eppa Urgo. Thit eppa Sseetharee.

They definitely want us to talk to Sseetharee. Maybe Sseetharee knows a magic spell
that will let us speak the lizardman language. Or I hope Sseetharee will be able to
teach us some basic vocabulary and we can learn the language ourselves. That would
be more interesting, I think.

Apparently, Tom loves Judy. :-)

Mantra "Ora" is for Unarmed! Score!
Mantra "Ono" for Swimming.

Met Zak, who has light sources for sale. No information of note, but a useful guy
to know if you haven't yet figured out light spells.

Plaque reads: "Go to the very base of the Abyss, then battle your way back up,
to find the key to your fortitude."

Scroll reads: "Look for Thieves' hideout behind storage room."
In the same pouch, found a key marked with letters "E" and "W". East and West?

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Tax Refund posted:

Thit eppa Sseetharee.

They definitely want us to talk to Sseetharee.

Sseth.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 12 - Lizardman Linguistics
It's time to chat up an important lizardman in order to learn their language...with a little help. This definitely isn't going to be the most action-packed episode, but it's an interesting little side quest.

I definitely missed a couple words, so I may load up an earlier save and add them to the next video just to see what they mean. I imagine you guys may have some ideas. If I'm recalling correctly the words I'm thinking of are "thit" and "thesh." It's possible there may be others.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 9, 2017

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Is there a reward for doing all that, or is it an old-school "the puzzle is its own reward"?

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Weasling Weasel posted:

Is there a reward for doing all that, or is it an old-school "the puzzle is its own reward"?

Virtue is its own reward! :v: Beyond that we'll just have to wait and see.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Weasling Weasel posted:

It relates to an important subquest later. So yes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

rojogames posted:

Virtue is its own reward! :v: Beyond that we'll just have to wait and see.

Yeah. Do you guys even Ultima? (The real one, not the online bastardization.)

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Again, I'm late enough to the notes that I won't use spoiler tags for this one. Long post coming up since I wrote down a lot:

pre:
Notes for ep 12

Talking to Sseetharee:

Bica, sor'click.
(Bica, yourself.)
Tosa yeshor'click? Tosa sorr?
(I'm sorry, I can't understand thee.)
Tosa thit sstresh. Tosa eppa Urgo. {He points to the prisoner}

The prisoner's name is Urgo. Or maybe that means "human". (Nope, it was Urgo).

WORDS

Sseth = Yes
'Click = No
Bica = Hello
Tosa = "You".
Yeshor'click = Friend?
Sorr = (enemy?)
Eppa = Return / Come back
Sstresh = Help
Isili = I/Me
Sorra = Pickpocket / Steal
Zekka = Food / Eat
Thes'click = attack
Thepa = Lizardman
Yethe = Kill
Sel'a = Give
Ossli = A lot

Talking to Sseethearee again:

Bica. {Hello}
(Bica.) {Hello}
Tosa yeshor'click? Tosa sorr? {You friend? You enemy?}
(Yeshor'click.) {Friend.}
Tosa eppa Urgo? Urgo sstresh tosa? Urgo sorr. Tosa sorr? {You ((speak to - actually
"come back")) Urgo? Urgo ((unknown - actually "help")) you? Urgo (enemy). You (enemy)?}
(No, I'm not.)
Tosa yeshor'click! Isili Sseetharee. Sseetharee yeshor'click. Isili sstresh tosa, sseth?
{You friend! (I am) Sseetharee. Sseetharee friend. (I am) (unknown - actually "help") you,
yes?}  -- guessing that sstresh = "to be friends with"?
(Yes!)
Urgo sorr. Urgo sorra zekka, thes'click Thepa. Thepa yethe Urgo. {Urgo enemy.
Urgo (steal) (food), (attack) Thepa. Thepa (kill?) Urgo.}
(No, please don't!)
Tosa sel'a zekka isili - isili sel'a Urgo tosa. {You give me food, I give you Urgo}.
(Yes, I will.)
Tosa yeshor'click. Tosa eppa isili, sel'a isili zekka, isili sstresh Urgo.
{You friend. You come back me, give food me, I help Urgo.}

When presenting an ear of corn:

Tosa 'click sel'a ossli. Isili 'click sstresh Urgo. {You not give (sounds like
food, maybe "meat"? Nope, it was "a lot"). I not help Urgo.}

When presenting four pieces of fish, same. Four fish + one corn got:

Isili thesh tosa! Tosa yeshor'click! Tosa eppa isili! {I (like?) you! You friend! You come back me!}

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Weasling Weasel posted:

You got bragging rights for sending the solution in to a games magazine and and having it printed in the hints section. Also, you never knew what might be useful later in the game.

Old notes:

bica - greetings
'click - no
eppa - go see / meet
isili - I
isila - we
ossli - share / lots
sel'a - give / gift
sor'click - stranger
sorr - evil / enemy
sorra - steal
sseth - yes
ssil - stupid
sstresh - help
Thepa - Lizardmen
thes'click - assault
thesh - like / love
thit - need
tosa - you
yeshor'click - friend
yethe - murder / kill
zekka - fish / food

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
You hosed up, you probably haven't met all the Lizardmen and you let your translator get away.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Thanks, I'll get this added tomorrow.

Cool, I'm going to ask about some of these words next time, but if I missed any I'll use this as a guide if necessary.

Pierzak posted:

You hosed up, you probably haven't met all the Lizardmen and you let your translator get away.

Yep, sort of! I don't know how much more we really need to know per se, but it would be nice if the dude stuck around.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 11, 2017

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

rojogames posted:

Yep, sort of! I don't know how much more we really need to know per se, but it would be nice if the dude stuck around.
I think one of the human-speaking lizardmen later can translate it better, but :ssh:

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 13 - Witness Valor
A small sacrifice of wealth nets us one of my favorite spells in the game, and we learn of a potentially valuable item before making our return to the mines of the mountainfolk.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Perhaps it's best avoided posting in the thread while having not caught up with all the videos. But it seems weird to me that a game this old even really allows for "punch everything" runs to happen. Like they give you a skill for unarmed fighting but you'd figure it be a joke skill at best and as of episode 7 you don't seem to be having many problems unless you grouped up upon.

Loving the LP so far though, can't wait to catch up with lizardman chat :v:

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Notes for episode 13:

pre:
MORE WORDS

thesh = to like?
thit = to ask? to beg?
sor'click = stranger?
thepa = lizardmen
kri'kla = lurker (the water monster), I assume

The gray lizardmen can speak our language!
The gray lizardmen are called "the Quiet Ones" by other lizardmen.
Leader of gray lizardmen is Iss'leek, in east of their area.
(No, looks like he's the leader of all the lizardmen.)
Ishtass told us of a "mad wizard" who worked upriver after Cabirus' death.
This wizard, who remains nameless, spoke of a Great Sword, "apart he broke".
Ossikka, leader of gray lizardmen, went upstream to kill a lurker.
He never returned. Our quest is to find him, or presumably his body.

Mantra "Anra" = Defense
Mantra "Lu" = "better eyesight". Search?

Spell Ylem Por = walk on water

Written on wall: "Magic Crystal exposes hidden tombs and monsters."

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Rojo, you may have to redo the gazer fight. The first time you talked to Goldthirst, you only got the password, and never the actual quest. (The reward is important.) If you reload and talk to him again before you go for the gazer, everything should be fine.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Is it possible to trigger the quest after killing the gazer, by choosing that "I'm looking for adventure" line when talking to Goldthirst? This game has been so well-programmed so far, I'd be surprised if there wasn't an option to say, "Oh, you want a gazer cleared out of your mines? Wow, that's a weird coincidence: I just killed a gazer in those mines about ten minutes ago." And then claim the quest reward.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Tax Refund posted:

Is it possible to trigger the quest after killing the gazer, by choosing that "I'm looking for adventure" line when talking to Goldthirst? This game has been so well-programmed so far, I'd be surprised if there wasn't an option to say, "Oh, you want a gazer cleared out of your mines? Wow, that's a weird coincidence: I just killed a gazer in those mines about ten minutes ago." And then claim the quest reward.

You're right, I hadn't thought of that; I'm too used to playing the game my way. Thanks for the catch, I'll make a note.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Old Grey Guy posted:

Rojo, you may have to redo the gazer fight. The first time you talked to Goldthirst, you only got the password, and never the actual quest. (The reward is important.) If you reload and talk to him again before you go for the gazer, everything should be fine.

Tax Refund posted:

I just tested it and we'll be alright. Next episode is already recorded and uploading, but I'll make sure we go back to correct my mistake. Thanks, guys!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Ultima games are usually pretty good with that sort of sequence breaking in general and i think i've even done that exact thing before too.

Also regarding the lizard food trade, i have a sort of hazy memory that stacks of anything that isn't coins doesn't add to the value of the trade properly, so putting stuff in singular stacks in different trade slots is more effective. so the 4 fish would have definitely been enough to set Urgo free if they were in different slots.

I might be wrong though :shobon:

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 14 - Tales of Sword and Board
A particularly important individual tells us of two talismans. Afterward, the Avatar returns to the floor below via unconventional means to make another important discovery.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Notes for episode 14:

pre:
Mantra "Lon" = Repair

Two of the talismans were a sword and a shield.
The sword is called Caliburn, the Sword of Justice. Forged by Flamebeard.
It was broken into two pieces at some time.
The Shield of Valor used to belong to Blackthorne. Shak doesn't know where it is.

Found Ossikka's remnants. He had a note from Sir Cabirus. He also had a book:
"Ghastly ones broken haft have. Search for Blade in SE. Behind wall, secrets are."
This is describing the location of the Sword of Justice.
Note on wall: "Ask Shanklik about crazy wizard."

Ishtass says that a wizard took the haft "below". The blade is in the Lizardman domain.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

busb posted:

Ultima games are usually pretty good with that sort of sequence breaking in general and i think i've even done that exact thing before too.

Also regarding the lizard food trade, i have a sort of hazy memory that stacks of anything that isn't coins doesn't add to the value of the trade properly, so putting stuff in singular stacks in different trade slots is more effective. so the 4 fish would have definitely been enough to set Urgo free if they were in different slots.

You're right, that is a bit wonky. On the other hand, if you don't feel like assembling a fishing rod on level 1, you can safely grab one on level 2, so having tons of food to hand out is never a problem.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Perhaps it's best avoided posting in the thread while having not caught up with all the videos. But it seems weird to me that a game this old even really allows for "punch everything" runs to happen. Like they give you a skill for unarmed fighting but you'd figure it be a joke skill at best and as of episode 7 you don't seem to be having many problems unless you grouped up upon.

Loving the LP so far though, can't wait to catch up with lizardman chat :v:

I'm actually really surprised things have gone this smoothly. I mean it's not my first playthrough, but our combat ability seems objectively better than you could hope to be at this point in the game with most available weapons.

busb posted:

Thanks for the tip. I'll try to remember that next time I do some trading.

Adding this stuff now.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 15 - LU-king for a Blade
Armed with the knowledge of where a piece of Caliburn lies, the Avatar looks high and low to recover it. Back on level 2, Goldthirst rewards us with an important relic of the mountainfolk.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Can you use the gem-cutter on gems? Or does the Avatar lack such skill?

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011
This has been bugging me for several days, but it just seems to be an incredibly bizarre coincidence that the Avatar levels up his skill at punching things by going ORAORAORAORAORA.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

rojogames posted:

I'm actually really surprised things have gone this smoothly. I mean it's not my first playthrough, but our combat ability seems objectively better than you could hope to be at this point in the game with most available weapons.

There are two levels to every skill: The first is hidden from the player, and it rises through practice, while the second is the enhancement of a skill you gain at a shrine. Your attributes matter, too. You've been doing fisticuffs all the time, so you're quite proficient, and the enhancement adds some extra on top together with your strength attribute. The trick, if you will, about weapons is to specialise and only ever use one type. Other than fists, there are some really powerful magical weapons around if you can identify them.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Old Grey Guy posted:

The first is hidden from the player, and it rises through practice
Any source on that? I've never heard about it and I'd love to read up.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Pierzak posted:

Any source on that? I've never heard about it and I'd love to read up.

Will my own experience do? I used to think it was no more than confirmation bias until I played a Tinker for the first time, picking locks and repairing my gear. Shak refuses to fix items in the lowest 'badly worn' condition, so unless you repair them up to 'worn' at least, they're short-term use until they break. Repairing the same kind of item, say any leather vest, becomes easier the more often you repair it to 'fully repaired', all the while you're not enhancing your (visible) skill any further. Depending on the item type, you do need a certain amount of DEX and Repair to have a chance of success at all, but the chance to succeed definitely increases with practice on the same item. The tenth leather vest will have a better chance of success than the first. The same goes for picking locks: find a lockpick and a door you have a key for and get to work. Yes, it's much of the old game of 'save and reload', and that's exactly how you can tell that it works: increasing successes mean noticeably less reloads.

It's less obvious with weapon skills when you're tempted to give everything you find a try as there are only so many fights in the game. Rojo becoming a powerhouse shows how well it works when you do stick to exactly one weapon type, and make sure not to invest in nor train any other weapon type.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Tylana posted:

Can you use the gem-cutter on gems? Or does the Avatar lack such skill?

Don't believe we can, but I'll try to remember to give it a shot. It certainly does have a use, though.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 16 - K(no)w Fear
The Avatar is the living embodiment of valor, and is nearly immortal in the Abyss thanks to the silver tree. Yet somehow he's supposed to be afraid of a little death.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

I didn't write any notes for episode 15. Notes for episode 16:

pre:
Found letter to Lakshi: writer says "have your subjects do me a favor".
No signature, though. "Just tell my messenger your response."

Met outcast named Linnet. He told us:
  - Knights in the western area of floor 4
  - Trolls in the eastern area of floor 4
  - Knights and trolls don't like each other much, but currently they're at peace.
  - Rodrick, aka the Chaos Knight, lives to the north, by the old banquet hall.
  - Rodrick is enemy to both Knights and Trolls.
  - Dorna Ironfist has put a price on Rodrick's head.
  - A maiden's body (oh dear) has been found in the lower levels, said a Knight.

In a secret room was a note, "Finally I can cast Curse!"
Nearby was a pouch with An and Sanct stones, so at least one of them is needed for Curse.

Met outcast named Oradinar. He said:
  - He survives by fishing and staying out of the way of trouble.
  - North from where he is is a pond with lots of fish.

Met knight named Kyle, who said "Join us". Should talk to Dorna, the knights' leader.
Dorna is probably the one who has put a price on Rodrick's head.

Met Dorna, who let us in on the second try and gave us a quest.
We must find the writ of Lorne, suspected to be in the troll homeland.
Also, around 11:25 of the video for episode 16, it looked like there was a rectangular patch of wall that was discolored, in the upper half of the wall. You searched a bunch, but you only searched the lower half of the wall, so I think there may have been another secret door that you missed in the upper half of that wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 17 - Troll Transactions
At the request of the knights we seek out the Writ of Lorne in the troll settlement and explore the surrounding area.

• Locked thread