Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I never paid enough attention to him to learn his name. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Commander Keene posted:

Maybe he's not a very good con artist?

Well, from his description as kind of a vagrant (which is telling from a cultural standpoint- for all his erudite posturing, his profile describes him as what the Japanese call a ronin nowadays, a derisive term that describes someone who's finished high school but hasn't found a job or joined a college yet because they're "figuring things out" or some such) and the fact that he goes spectacularly to pieces even when not really found out yet, I wonder if Wellington is someone who just indulged in con artistry as a hobby and never learned to handle things like a cop's questions. The villains in the first cases haven't exactly been criminal masterminds, so far, which is believable.

This is also the second witness to a crime that Payne has presented that actually committed that crime... you'd think he'd get some stick for that, something for his lack of vetting. But blah blah, prosecutors are god, defense is dirt, blah blah.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You may overestimate the degree to which people, in- or out-of-universe, remember who Winston Payne is.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

Mors Rattus posted:

You may overestimate the degree to which people, in- or out-of-universe, remember who Winston Payne is.

I only remember him because I like the pun his name is.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

resurgam40 posted:

Well, from his description as kind of a vagrant (which is telling from a cultural standpoint- for all his erudite posturing, his profile describes him as what the Japanese call a ronin nowadays, a derisive term that describes someone who's finished high school but hasn't found a job or joined a college yet because they're "figuring things out" or some such) and the fact that he goes spectacularly to pieces even when not really found out yet, I wonder if Wellington is someone who just indulged in con artistry as a hobby and never learned to handle things like a cop's questions. The villains in the first cases haven't exactly been criminal masterminds, so far, which is believable.

Wellington struck me as being spectacularly dumb because he decides that instead of playing it cool to get his phone back, he went straight for the murder option, which had an even heavier punishment. He really is a third-rate criminal. :v:

But anywho, thanks for LPing this game Mors Rattus! It's been ages since I played this, so while I remember a little bit of the plot, I forgot the specifics of each case. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this game again. :)

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
Hey, it's JFA! I enjoyed your LP of the first game, so I'm glad to be here this early on. I'm a big fan of all these games so I can't really join in the speculation, but it's fun to see everyone else's posts. :allears:

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I've played this game a couple times and I don't think it ever mentally clicked before now that, timeline-wise, the first case here comes after the second case.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are we gonna have flashbacks? Is Phoenix going to say "wait, no, that's not how it happened"?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zagglezig posted:

I've played this game a couple times and I don't think it ever mentally clicked before now that, timeline-wise, the first case here comes after the second case.

Wait really? Explain please?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

EagerSleeper posted:

maybe it should wait until after the 2nd case

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

EagerSleeper posted:

He literally said at the end of case 1 "Maya came back into my life 2 months ago" -- it's the segue which leads into the telling of case 2 :)

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Rise from the Ashes was put into the storyline. I don't know how they did it, as I have only played the DS titles (and the Android port of Dual Destinies) but apparantly in the HD remasters of the original trilogy, they put some line somewhere in it to confirm it's part of the storyline.

Now, going from that theory, it would have been 6 months since Phoenix last practiced law if the case we just saw was his first since Rise from the Ashes.. However, it would have been only 4 months between cases with the idea that it was June when Phoenix last saw Maya. That would just put 6 months between cases if Rise isn't included.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The most suspension-of-disbelief breaking part in this case is that Maggey is so loving happy throughout the whole thing, while her boyfriend was murdered.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Oh hey, it's the first Ace Attorney game I ever played.

A decade ago. And never played again.

Gonna be fun seeing all the stuff I forgot. :v:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 2: Reunion, and Turnabout
Investigation, Day 1 (Part 1)

(Click here for video.)

: It's not your fault. You didn't do it.
: No, I... I did it... I killed that person.
: But that wasn't you.
: It doesn't matter. It might as well have been me.

: (The events of that gloomy, rainy afternoon that started this whole mess... keep playing through my mind...)

: Uh, I guess...
: But actually, more than being depressed, I'm angry. Angry at that weather girl on TV. "I think our little rainy spell will take a break with a day of sun!"
: ...is what that girl said! I'd stake my life on it!
: Well, it's the weather...
: But that's why I didn't bother to bring an umbrella today.
: What nerve, calling herself a weather girl! She's going to hear about my $1500 suit!
: Um... About your case... Unless you're planning on suing the weather girl...?
: ... I'm sorry. I thought that before we got down to business, we could have some friendly chatter. My name is Dr. Turner Grey. I'm a surgeon.
: (Remind me never to end up under his knife...)

: ...Oh. You're... the doctor at...?
: It's really quite upsetting.
: Did you hear me!? UPSETTING!
: Yes, yes, I heard you. I agree, it's quite upsetting, Dr. Grey.

: It was her that got the medications mixed up and killed those 14 patients! And yet! Now listen good! And yet!
: That nurse had the nerve to go and die before admitting to her wrongdoing! She didn't even offer any sort of explanation to me! And this is the kicker! She up and has herself a grand ol' accident and crashes her car!
: Smash! Crunch! Instantly transforming her car into the accordion model!

: (Fourteen victims of medical malpractice and the nurse's mysterious fatal accident. There were rumors that Dr. Grey had actually caused that crash. People said it was to forever hide the person responsible for the malpractice incident.)
: Why would I...? Now, I'm just going to say this once -- Why on Earth would I want to kill that nurse?
: She's the one who killed those 14 patients! Not me!
: I think you need to take a deep breath, doctor, and focus... More to the point, this case is over a year old. Why bring it up now...?
: That's simple! Because the situation is slipping out of my grasp. This just won't do. My clinic isn't seeing nearly as many patients nowadays.
: Do you understand what that means!? It means they're not coming to my clinic!
: (You don't say...? If it were me, I don't think I'd want to go either.) So... what would you like me to do about it...?

: Um, you do realize I'm a lawyer, not a private investigator, right?
: No, this is something only you can do.
: ...?

: ...! (Maya! Why would he know her name...!?)
: I heard you were working under her for a little while.
: Well, yes... I mean... Hey, wait a second here! I worked UNDER her!?
: Yes. Am I wrong? She told me, so I'm not quite sure if...
: Well, we worked a few trials together. But she went back to her hometown to undergo more training.
: Ah, yes, I heard. It must be lonely for you.
: Wh-What!? Wait... I'm not...!
: She must be an extraordinary girl to handle such rigid training.
: Huh?
: I have an acquaintance who knows a lot about these mystical sorts of things. She's the one who introduced me to Ms. Fey.
: (Is Maya... really that famous...?)
: And I've already set up an appointment.
: For what?
: What else!? A channeling! I'm going to have her call the spirit of that nurse that went and got herself killed!
: O-Oh. (Maya... I wonder what she's up to right now...)

: It's because the power to communicate with spirits flows strongly through us.
: (That's what she told me... I guess she's learned to accept her responsibilities and become an adult...)

: so she gave me one condition before accepting my request.
: A condition...?
: The condition is you, Mr. Wright.
: She said that she wouldn't do the channeling without first seeing you again.
: Me...?
: And that is why I've searched you out! You want to see her too, don't you!?

: W-Why, hello there.
: ...

The mysterious little girl leaves.

: Hmm... What an odd little girl.
: Hey! Wait up, Pearly!!
: (Hm? Someone else is coming this way...)
: Niiiiiiiick!
: M-Maya. How are you...? It's good to see you again.

: It's not that big a deal. You made it sound like you were soooo far away.
: Well, maybe I exaggerated... just a little.
: It was only 2 hours by train. If I had known you were this close, I'd have visited more.
: No! You're not allowed. I already decided, you know. Until I become an adult, I have to work hard and be strong by myself...
: Oh... well... Anyway, congratulations. I'm glad to hear training is going well for you.
: Heh, heh...

And welcome back to investigation! It's pretty much exactly like game one - we can look at stuff, talk to people, present evidence (or, of course, profiles) to people, and move around. Let's take a look at Maya's hometown...after we check the Court Record.

: It's an old-style phone booth. I can't say it fits in with this area too well. My cell phone doesn't get reception up here, so who knows. I may need it later.

: An old bus stop. It says "Kurain Village" on the sign post. The buses seem incredibly inconvenient since they only come 3 times a day.

: A giant rock that seems to be reaching for the sky. Its origins are written on a beat-up, old sign. It looks like this giant rock is called the "Kurain Boulder". There's a really complex explanation written here, but long story short, it's a big stone for spirits to live in... Or something like that...

: Rustic, thatch-roofed houses where the other villagers live line the street. They're nowhere near as large or as nice as the manor in front of me. It's kind of odd that I don't see any of the other villagers walking around, though...

: The biggest, most elegant of the buildings I can see from here. This is Fey Manor; the place Maya calls home. It's easy to be overwhelmed by its presence...

And now, let's talk to Maya. But first, the badge.

: What do you mean by "tarnished"...?
: Well, look. This badge is like every other. It's bound to lose its color and shine after years and years.
: But you know, polishing it up once in a while wouldn't be a bad idea.

And now, questions.

: Looks like you've finally become a full-fledged medium, taking on your first job.
: Yeah. I didn't think it would be this soon.
: But this case... Do you know the messy story behind it...?
: Ha ha ha, behold the power of the Maya Intelligence Network!
: Let's see. Fourteen people died because of malpractice on Dr. Grey's part, right?
: And to pin the blame on the nurse, he killed her in what appeared to be a car accident!
: Huh? Um, so what is this "Maya Intelligence Network" anyway...?
: The tabloids.
: That's what I thought.
: ... Ha ha ha. I'm just pulling your leg, Nick! What really happened is the exact opposite. I heard all about it from Dr. Grey.
: ...
: Oh, come on, Nick!
: I wouldn't take a crazed killer as a client!
: That's too scary, even for me.
: (Y-Yeah, I guess so.)

: So this is your hometown, huh, Maya?

: Kurain Village... But I've heard people call this place "Medium Valley", too.
: Interesting... So everyone that lives here is a spirit medium?
: Pretty much. Most of my ancestors were too, I think...
: (That's probably true since the Fey ability to communicate with the dead is so strong...)
: Actually, only the women of this village are mediums.
: So what do the men do?
: They usually work someplace outside the village.

: Oh yeah, I wanted to ask you about that girl I saw earlier. Do you know her?
: Oh, you mean Pearly?
: Pearly?

: Isn't she adorable? Just like yours truly!

: Cousin... Wait, then that means... Is she also a...?
: Yup. She's a medium, too. Pearly's a real genius when it comes to channeling!
: Hmm, I see. I hope I didn't scare her when I tried to talk to her earlier.
: Nah, it's not you. My aunt drilled it into her head that
: "If a suspicious-looking person tries to talk to you, run away".
: S-Suspicious-looking...!?
: Well, you're not wearing training clothes, for starters...
: Of course not.
: Pearly is my aunt's most valued treasure, so she's not allowed to go outside of town. She doesn't know much about the world outside of Kurain Village.
: Aunt?
: Pearly's mother is my aunt, duh. Come on, Nick.
: Well, Nick, I've got to get going. It's about time for the channeling to start.
: Huh? Oh, yeah...
: I'm doing the channeling in my house, come on in, OK?
: After I'm done, we can grill up some juicy burgers!
: Alright. Good luck, Maya.
: Thanks!

Maya leaves.

: (Well... At least she's still the same perky Maya.)

We may as well follow her in.

: Ah, Mr. Wright. I'm so glad you showed.
: Some nice weather we're having today. Aren't you happy?
: No, not at all.
: That stupid weather girl made the wrong call again. "It will rain cats and dogs today!" she said with a straight face.
: I can't believe they allow such misguided reports on the public airwaves!
: (Looks like talking about the weather with this guy is just asking for punishments...)
: ...But anyway, this is a splendid manor.
: (No argument there... It's hard to believe that this is Maya's house, though...)

: Here, Mr. Wright. I have a copy for you too.

Time to look around again.

: Someone with a lot of skill wrote these four Chinese characters with a brush. Oh look, here's a translation: "Once in a Lifetime." Its message is people should value their ghostly meetings as once in a lifetime chances.

: A piece of cloth with a ton of finely-written characters jammed onto it. Probably esoteric knowledge only mediums would know. ...Hmm, let's see... Here's one in English... It says... "100 Ways to Save Money". ... Being a medium sounds like a rough way of life...

: This door leads out to the Winding Way. The weather outside looks really nice.

: A door that leads to the Channeling Chamber, the place where spirits and people meet. The iron in this door was tempered, making it very solid. It looks like there is a strong lock on this door to top it off.

Now, to chat with Dr. Grey. First, the badge.

: Are you trying to compete with me and my profession with that piece of scrap?
: ...Uh...
: I am a surgeon. Compared to you lawyers, I'm practically a saint!
: Yes, well, I don't exactly have any patients right now, but, and listen good! I'm not the one that made the mistake!
: (This doctor needs his head examined...)

If we present Maya's profile...

: She'll be the Master, you know. The MASTER!
: (I guess there are "Master" mediums, too...)

None of the other evidence matters to him - not even his own profile. What does?

: What are you going to do once the nurse's spirit has been called?
: Isn't it obvious? I'm going to have her write a signed confession.
: A signed confession?
: Yes, a confession. Pay attention! I'll have her write this: "One year ago, on May 2nd, 14 patients died due to my negligence. And then, on May 24th, I fell asleep at the wheel and died in a car accident due to my further negligence. I'm sorry and I apologize for being negligent."
: That's what I'll have her write! With a confession, the rain falling on my soul can finally stop.
: O-Oh, I see...

: So, how did you hear about Maya Fey...?
: I heard about her from an acquaintance; a girl studying the occult at the college. That girl introduced me to this village. This is the home of the Kurain School of Channeling.
: The home, huh...?
: And Ms. Maya is a daughter of the "Master", I hear.
: Master...?
: Anyway, do you see that door? That's the room where people and spirits meet.
: Ms. Maya's aunt is in there right now. Would you care to meet her...?

That's all there is to do here for now, but that's good advice.

Next time: We meet Maya's aunt.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 1, 2017

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mors Rattus posted:

: But you know, polishing it up once in a while wouldn't be a bad idea.
Look, Phoenix won't learn how to polish things for another two games yet.

Mors Rattus posted:

: Here, Mr. Wright. I have a copy for you too.
Unless Nick is talking to himself, I think you got the wrong mugshot here. Granted, not an uncommon occurrence, but he usually doesn't refer to himself as "Mr. Wright".

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Whoops, fixed.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
Dr. Grey is one of my favorite minor characters. I guess I just like angry jerks.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I see we're finally putting the Japan into Japanifornia.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Mors Rattus posted:

: I'm doing the channeling in my house, some on in, OK?

Needs to be "come on in"

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Mors Rattus posted:

: After I'm done, we can grill up some juicy burgers!

someone has their eyes on what's really important around here

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Can we get some closeups of the docs extremely creepy face?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's caught mid-animation of one of his rants, since when he stops talking, he resets to neutral.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah yes, daughter of Misty Fey, who was discredited after she channeled a spirit but wrote out what was considered a false confession anyhow. Surely that will never come up again.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

I see we're finally putting the Japan into Japanifornia.

Honestly, it only gets worse every game. It's like they're trying to make it impossible for the localization team.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

LordNagash posted:

Honestly, it only gets worse every game. It's like they're trying to make it impossible for the localization team.
I though it had maxed out in AA5, but it somehow got even more blatantly Japanese in 6. It's incredible on several levels.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

I though it had maxed out in AA5, but it somehow got even more blatantly Japanese in 6. It's incredible on several levels.

AA6 has the benefit of having Wright overseas in pseudo-Tibet, so you have a "Their ways are not our ways" thing going on. Like, it's clear he's supposed to be a fish out of water.

EDIT: This update is the first introduction of Maya's cousin, Pearls Fey. Pearly has great character music.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 2, 2017

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Patter Song posted:

This update is the first introduction of Maya's cousin, Pearls Fey. Pearly has great character music.

Pearls is just great in general.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

LordNagash posted:

Isn't the official justification something like the American localization of the games take place in an alternate universe where Japanese internment camps never happened and thus Japanese immigrant culture localized a lot more with Californian culture or something?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I think the official justification is to eat your burgers and stop worrying about it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh hey, a new Ace Attorney let's play! Good thing I noticed this, I love this series :)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

A holiday weekend and my time likely being spent moving at the end of next week and the next weekend means a bonus update today. Also, gentle reminder to keep discussion of future games to a minimum.

Case 2: Reunion, and Turnabout
Investigation, Day 1 (Part 2)

: (These flickering lights... I guess they're candles...)

: Aaah! I-I'm, uh, my name is Phoenix Wright...

: ("Good sir"...? Is she talking about me?)
: You are a lawyer, are you not, good sir? I have heard much about you from Mystic Maya.
: Is that so? ("Mystic" Maya...?)
: I am Mystic Maya's aunt, Morgan Fey.
: N-Nice to meet you.
: Ah, I had wanted to speak with you about a certain incident, good sir. It would seem that perhaps you ask too much of Mystic Maya in performing your duties. Most unbecoming, I'm afraid.
: Huh?
: Don't tell me you have already forgotten? That was it not for Mystic Maya and her assistance, you would surly not have won...

Sic.

: (First a girl that runs away, and now an old lady who says I stink at doing my job... When did I become the poster boy for "How Not to Make a First Impression"...?)
: The past is the past though. Let's us speak of the present now.

Sic.

: ...Ah, thank you...

But first, let's examine the area.

: This folding screen is really showing its age. All of its edges are a bit tattered. The lettering is fading too. I think I recognize a few of the characters on here... ...Ku ...ra ...in... I'm pretty sure that's what it says... Maybe I'll ask Maya about it later...

: There is some empty space behind the folding screen. The light of the candles can't reach back there, so it's completely dark.

: I guess this is an alter. Whatever it is, it feels very important.

Sic.

: A mirror-like object with a cloudy reflective surface, and some branches of a sacred tree have been set in a pre-determined arrangement.
: Good sir! I wonder if you would please not touch the sacred objects. Those objects are being offered to the spirits.
: If you were to touch them, good sir, they would become cursed. Yes, cursed.
: (She really didn't have to talk down to me. I'm not that much of an idiot...)

: This is where the medium sits, I assume. There are 4 panels of this flooring. The straw in the flooring feels a little damp, probably from the humidity in the air.

: The Meditation Room is on the other side of this very heavy-looking door. There is a giant iron lock where the handle is. It feels like a curtain that separates the normal world from the spirit one.

Now, let's chat with Morgan. But first, her profile.

She has no interesting reaction to most evidence, including our badge, but if we present Maya...

: Y-Yes!
: When did you...

: Wh-Wh-What!? Wait... It's not like that at all!
: It is unforgivable!
: Ow-ow-ow! (Why did she slap me?)

And if we present Dr. Grey...

: Oh! It is that man, is it not?
: A man who wishes to borrow a departed spirit's power to hide the lack of his own. What an insignificant man.
: Insignificant...?
: That would mean you are that man's insignificant little friend, dear sir.
: (Then I guess that makes Maya my insignificant little assistant, huh?)

Now, questions.

: So why do you add "Mystic" to Maya's name. Isn't that a little... strange?

Sic.

: Good sir!
: Yes!
: How dare you be so rude and disrespectful towards Mystic Maya!
: I-I'm sorry.
: She must be addressed by her proper title, good sir. You must call her "Mystic Maya"!
: Um, uh... So, about Mystic Maya... Uh...
: It is the blood.
: Excuse me? "Blood"?
: Mystic Maya carries the blood of the Master. In actuality, she is the only one remaining.
: (Only one remaining...? What's that supposed to mean?)
: Mystic Maya is the last of the rightful heirs of the Kurain Channeling Technique.
: OK... Then... where do you stand...?

: Although a woman of the Fey family, I am merely a member of the branch family.
: ...Branch family? What's that?
: It is as it sounds. For a member of the branch family, no matter her spiritual power, she can never become the Master of the Kurain School.
: So... how strong are you...?
: ... It is a shame, however I will admit.
: I can not even begin to compare the lowliness of my power to the Master's.
: (So that's how it is...)

: So today's channeling will be her first?
: Yes, good sir. Because the spirit of a person who dies in a traffic accident is usually very strong, it is easier to call that person to our world.
: ("Traffic accident" indeed.)
: The channeling will take place here in this Channeling Chamber, good sir. As you can see, I am in the process of preparing.

: So... this room is the... Channeling Chamber...?
: The place where a spirit medium speaks with those who have departed.
: I don't suppose you'd mind if we observed the session...
: Do not even think of such nonsense! Only the medium and the client may enter here.
: O-Oh.
: The secrets of the Kurain Technique can not be seen by just anybody.
: (That never stopped Maya from doing it in front of me before...)
: It is also for your safety, good sir, if something were to go wrong. That is why, while channeling is being performed, that heavy door is securely locked...
: Oh, that's what the lock is for...
: ... Oh, yes. I wonder if you have yet to meet Pearl, good sir.
: Pearl?
: She is an adorable, angelic young girl.

: She is my daughter. Now then, what was it you were about to say...?
: Wh-What a cute daughter you have... Ahaha...
: A pure heart that knows not of the evils in this world is a powerful thing, good sir. Please refrain from affiliating with her, I request.
: (Well, it's not like I had the chance to anyway...)
: I must insist and stress that you not let it occur.
: Okay, okay, I get it!

That's about all we can do here now, so we head back out to the Meditation Room, and from there, the Winding Way.

: (Wow. This garden is really breath-taking. Someone put a lot of love into it. What is that over there...? ...Is that an incinerator? It looks a little out of place in a garden like this...)

No one here, but we can explore.

: It looks like there's a room over there, too. A peaceful feeling is emanating from it.

: It's a small incinerator. I don't think garbage trucks come all the way out here to a little village like this. So every family has to burn their own trash.

: A splendid garden with a small lamp and traditional decorations. It's a bit small to walk around in... Although, that incinerator piques my curiosity...

: It's a really old urn. The ashes of a person long dead are inside. It looks like something with a long history... Other than that, it's not very interesting, so time to move on.

And move on we do.

: (So this is... the Side Room. Looks like it's more of a break room. There is bedding spread out on the floor. It looks like someone's sleeping in one. I shouldn't disturb them...)

: It's a decorative wooden bear sculpture. There's a plate attached to the base. "Kurain Village - The Heart of Channeling" What the!? It's a souvenir. So does this mean it's easy to spot bears here... And for them to spot you...? *gulp*

: It's a small alcove. I have no idea what it's supposed to mean or symbolize. If I had one of these in the office, it would end up as storage space. But here, it's decorated with some pretty flowers and a beautiful hanging scroll.

: There's bedding spread out on the floor. Is that someone sleeping in one over there? She's probably an exhausted medium taking a break and catching some z's. If I wake her up, she might be grumpy and throw a spell on me. It's probably a good idea to not disturb her sleep...

: This is the first time I've seen a sliding door like this in person. From here, I can see the Winding Way and the little garden in the courtyard.

Not much else to do, so it's time to go back.

: (Hmm... I'm sure I've heard that southern accent somewhere before...)

: How ya been!? Haven't seen you in, what, a year!?

: Um, Lotta Hair, was it?
: L-L-Lotta Who!? Wait, you best not be making fun of my hair, now!
: Ah, no, um, I wasn't "making fun"... I was "complimenting" you on your fine hair...
: Hmph, I dare say yer one heartless man, Mr. Wright. It was cause of my testimony that yer friend got outta being guilty.
: But looks like you already forgot that.
: Hold up... You were working with the prosecution at first as one of their witnesses, and came after us as if we were a piece of sirloin steak...
: Minor detail. Stop being so uptight; lettin' little things get in the way.
: The name's Hart. Lotta Hart. Don't you go forgetting it!
: Oh yeah! That's it!
: Now listen here. I'm here to take some pictures today. Gonna get myself a real scoop.
: Ah, so I guess you're still at it? Being a photographer, I mean.
: You betcha! The hardest working one out there, I reckon!

Or...

: Sorry, but who are you again?
: Oh Lawdy!
: I've met some cold men in my days, but you...
: You're in an icebox of yer own!
: Come on, am I really that bad...?
: Put yer noggin to some use! You've gotta remember who I am! It was cause of my testimony that yer friend got outta being guilty.
: Ah! You're the one from that trial!
: See, I knew you could remember if you tried!
: You were working with the porsecution at first as one of their witnesses, and came after us as if we were a piece of sirloin steak...
: Why don't we let bygones be bygones, now. It's yesterday's news, right?
: Name's Lotta Hart.
: Don't you go forgetting it, ya hear!?
: Um... So what brings you here today?
: Hah! You should already know! I'm here for the big scoop! I can feel it!
: You betcha! The hardest working one out there, I reckon!

Or...

: You're Lotta Hart, right...?
: Bingo!
: I'm the one and only
: "paranormal photographer", Lotta Hart!
: Of course!
: And today, I'm gonna get myself a real scoop! You wait and see!

They all converge.

: Oh, that's right!
: This ain't no time to be wastin' time!
: The channeling's about to get started!
: Is it that time already!?
: We all should hurry up and get to the Meditation Room.
: ...What are you waiting around for!? Come on!

She leaves.

: (Lotta Hart, huh? I've been judging her harshly because of that case, but, I guess looking back, we had some good times, too...)

We should probably follow her, now.

: We will now begin the channeling. Mystic Maya and honored guest, please proceed into the Channeling Chamber.

: You hear me!? They won't be able to say a single bad thing about me after this!
: You would love to hear them apologize, wouldn't you? Wouldn't you, Mr. Wright!?
: Me!? Oh, uh, yeah, I sure would.
: Mystic Maya, do you have the Channeling Chamber key?

: That is most satisfactory. That key is one-of-a-kind, so please take care of it well.
: It'll be fine, Aunt Morgan. I won't lose it, trust me!
: OK, Dr. Grey. Let's get started.
: Finally! Let's go!

They leave.

: Now let us wait patiently out here for them. Please have some lovely bitter green tea and jaw-droppingly large strawberry desserts...
: Hold on, now, granny!
: ...Granny?
: How come we ain't allowed in that room!?
: Dear madam, you have an "impressive" grasp of English. From where did you learn it?
: What!? I'm from the heart of the heartland!
: Is that so? Then I humbly request that you return to this "Heart of the Heartland".
: Wh-What are ya...?
: This is Kurain Village.
: If you can not follow our traditions and rules, we request that you leave!
: ...!
: ... Sorry.
: (Wow. She shut Lotta up! Now THAT's impressive!)
: Now then, let us wait.

: Hey now! Wh-What was that just now!?
: (It came from inside the Channeling Chamber...)

: Hey! Th-That's a gunshot!

: E-Excuse me!?
: I've heard that sound before. It's a gunshot! I'd bet my afro on it!

: Ms. Fey! What should we do!?
: Yellow-bellied chicken liver! What are ya waiting for!? Kick it down already!
: But... The key...
: That key is one-of-a-kind. In this world, there is only that one. Even I am powerless to open that door.
: (Hmm, there is really no other way...) Alright. Stand aside! I'm going to break the door down!
: W-Wait! Please! That sort of recklessness...

Or...

: Well, Mister Lawyer! What's the plan!?
: What else!? We're going to break in!
: What!? But... But there's only one key and that kid's got it.
: We're going to have to break the door. Is that alright, Ms. Fey?
: Well, yes... But there is one matter... That is...
: Don't try to stop me! You can send the repair bill to the Wright & Co. Law Offices later!

Either way...

: Yeah! Now that's what I call being a man!

: ...I...

: M-Maya?

: Wh-What!?

: Lotta! At a time like this!?
: Times like this are perfect for snapping up shots! But anyway... what's going on here!? This gal... Is she... ...Maya!?

: Please leave this area to me. Go quickly and inform the police!
: But, but...
: Hurry! Before there are more victims here!
: Hey, let's go, City Boy! Leave this to the granny!

: (My cell phone doesn't get reception way out here... So I ended up using the phone booth to call the police...)

: They're on their way.
: That's good. Lawdy, I saw a genuine "mysterious phenomenon"...
: (She seems really on edge because of all this... Not that I blame her... I'm scared to death by what's going on...)

Next time: What the hell just happened?

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 3, 2017

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016
Mors, are there supposed to be images in the post where you put sic?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Mors means the sic literally; those lines needed a few more passes with a copy editor and proofreader.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
No, I'm pretty sure they're just there to point out incorrect spelling within the game. (Which... is really, really rough, I note. I mean, "alter" for altar? Sheesh, what were the editors even doing?)

Mors Rattus posted:

Next time: What the hell just happened?

Indeed! :stare: Once again, it looks like we have to ask just how much the spirit world affects the court of law, and how culpable a possessed person is in the things the spirit possessing her does while in the medium's body.

That is, if things happened as they are portrayed, which always happens at first blush in this series, yessir. Sight unseen, I'm thinking secret passage shenanigans; old mansions usually have a lot of them. And how the hell did the gun even get in there? Maya certainly doesn't carry, and neither surgeons nor soothsayers are particularly known for having weapons just laying around...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

kw0134 posted:

Mors means the sic literally; those lines needed a few more passes with a copy editor and proofreader.

To further clarify, it's an editing/writing term, essentially meaning "the preceding quote is not an error, that is how it is presented in the original source".

I believe I mentioned how atrocious the proofreading on this game's script was, and now it's coming out in full force.

EDIT: Specifically, the cases mentioned were "MYstic Maya", "Let's us", "alter" (instead of altar), and ending an inquiry with a period.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 3, 2017

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

kw0134 posted:

I guess it just felt like some images were missing to me.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

KataraniSword posted:

EDIT: Specifically, the cases mentioned were "MYstic Maya", "Let's us", "alter" (instead of altar), and ending an inquiry with a period.

I think "MYstic" was an actual typo and the "sic" referred to the use of "surly" instead of "surely".

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Was that the gun clicking or the camera?

Either way, do not call up what you cannot put down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Chiming in to say thanks for breaking the LP curse and continuing the PW series. It's great to see the responses from people who aren't familiar with the series. If I might make a suggestion, though: During at least the most important story events, could you cut the 'wrong' answers to the end, or a separate update? It hampers the flow a bit when Phoenix is hit by flash of insight and knows to how save his best friend's life or whatever, but has to spend a bit looking like a dumbass first.

...To be clear, Phoenix looking like a dumbass is a core part of this series, and I wouldn't have it any other way. It's just in the most heated moments that it felt inappropriate.