Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Miftan posted:

I'm 11 (out of 14) books into Wheel of Time and it's pretty great. Pratchett is always a good shout, and thanks for reminding me to pick up Iron Council!

Congrats, you're through the worse of the plot! Sanderson takes over soon and things zoom to lightning pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Rarity posted:

*tugs braid*

*sniffs*

Foolish man.

Okay yeah, the men vs. women things get grating but all the little tricks are pretty good for showing character development.

nothing to seehere posted:

Congrats, you're through the worse of the plot! Sanderson takes over soon and things zoom to lightning pace.

Awesome.

haakman
May 5, 2011

feedmegin posted:

'Catherine Merridale, an experienced and enthusiastic historian of Russia, has chosen the pivotal moment of Lenin’s slow and halting odyssey to hang her history of how this ruthless fanatic hijacked a revolution and refashioned it in his own cruel and grim image.' Might as well have been in the Daily Mail.

She's not that wrong though...

(Though I doubt the grain is taking into account the complexities of late 1917/early 1918 Russian politics).

haakman fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 1, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

khwarezm posted:

Have people seen this NewStatesman's hilariously terrible front cover:

CORBYN'S PRIVATE ARMY.

First thing I thought of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPnFN7KzJ5c (SFW)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I like watching Bloomberg sometimes & just staring slack-jawed at the TV, shocked that this whole rotten system didn't get replaced in 2008.

Since we're doing confessional "I like trash" bits right now.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Jedit posted:

What did you have against Stormrider?

Brings all the Sidhe stuff to the fore. I liked the lack of emphasis through most of the series.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Stop reading trash and go and get the "Southern Reach trilogy" by Jeff Vandermeer. I think you can buy them in one collection. NO WIZARDS. Or is there!!!!!!!

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007

Miftan posted:

I liked Ready Player One. It appealed to my inner cliché nerd and inner actual nerd.

I see. If I may ask one question, how do you Square your enjoyment of the novel Ready Player One with the following fact:

It's bad

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well Theresa May's NHS means I can't see a doctor about my ear infection, however Theresa May's psychoactive drugs law (including all drugs that are not drugs) does not seem to prevent me buying cinnarazine over the counter so it could be worse!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Really want to like Tolkien but no LOTR is 90% dull as hell. I powered all the way through to Return of the King but then there was this huge like 100 page chapter where he's describing in minute detail the architecture of Minas Tirith down to the bricks and I lost my place, thought gently caress it I'm not starting that again, and never picked it back up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Really want to like Tolkien but no LOTR is 90% dull as hell. I powered all the way through to Return of the King but then there was this huge like 100 page chapter where he's describing in minute detail the architecture of Minas Tirith down to the bricks and I lost my place, thought gently caress it I'm not starting that again, and never picked it back up.

Skip the bits with the hobbits read the fight scenes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Igiari posted:

I see. If I may ask one question, how do you Square your enjoyment of the novel Ready Player One with the following fact:

It's bad
We are all eating out of the trash can.

OwlFancier posted:

Well Theresa May's NHS means I can't see a doctor about my ear infection, however Theresa May's psychoactive drugs law (including all drugs that are not drugs) does not seem to prevent me buying cinnarazine over the counter so it could be worse!
I am still pissed off that they banned Chest Eze because those squaddies ate a whole pack to increase their performance on an exercise and stroked out even though there was a huge black warning on the back saying "exceeding the recommended dose is known to cause strokes and heart attacks and not in a 'maybe in 0.1% of patients' side effect way so don't loving do it."

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Igiari posted:

It's bad

It is about video games and nerds beating up megacorps.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Miftan posted:

I'm 11 (out of 14) books into Wheel of Time and it's pretty great. Pratchett is always a good shout, and thanks for reminding me to pick up Iron Council!

If you like the last few books of Wheel of Time then you'll definitely like Brandon Sandersons other work, Stormlight Archives third book comes out soon as well, because he's an absolute writing machine.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

If you like the last few books of Wheel of Time then you'll definitely like Brandon Sandersons other work, Stormlight Archives third book comes out soon as well, because he's an absolute writing machine.

I will keep this in mind, though I really should be reading less fantasy and more political theory.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Seaside Loafer posted:

If you want some proper fantasy the Earthsea books are great. Thats a proper wizard, no expunge'anus wand poo poo going on there. Thought Ged does have a big fat white staff after he magics it from a twig, well jealous.

Ursula Le Guin is both cool and good, and A Wizard of Earthsea is a better 'Harry Potter' book than anything Rowling has done.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

I shamefully read LOTR once a year from the age of 17 until about 25. I tried reading it again recently and oh my god it was an even bigger slog than I remember. Yeah, the story is good but Tolkein is not a writer at all. And far too much of it is, as you say, either descriptions of architecture or else it's just Hobbits walking & descriptions of Hobbits walking. Even when I enjoyed the book enough to read it repeatedly I still lived in dread of the Frodo/Sam chapters because they were interminably dull.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Miftan posted:

I will keep this in mind, though I really should be reading less fantasy and more political theory.

China Meivilles book on the Russian Revolution came out recently, it's great.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

Any sufficiently abstract political theory is indistinguishable from fantasy anyway.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Regarde Aduck posted:

Stop reading trash and go and get the "Southern Reach trilogy" by Jeff Vandermeer. I think you can buy them in one collection. NO WIZARDS. Or is there!!!!!!!

Is it as good as Finch? Because I super loved Finch.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spuckuk posted:

Ursula Le Guin is both cool and good, and A Wizard of Earthsea is a better 'Harry Potter' book than anything Rowling has done.

I really hate wizard of earthsea.

Which, I mean, doesn't dispute the fact that it might still be a better harry potter, but I don't recommend reading the books for entertainment.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I quite liked the Night Angel trilogy. They're probably actually terrible but I don't read much these days.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
Ursula Le Guin is the one who wrote the book about moon anarchists right?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Archaeology Hat posted:

moon anarchists

Mods namechange tia

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Mr Phillby posted:

the only other fantasy I've read before is Prattchet, so there's a lot to go through.

Oh, well in that case you should read Stephen Donaldson's Covenant series. (Don't stop reading because of an upsetting incident early on in Book 1, it is worth sticking with.) After that there is his mirrors series (lighthearted froth) and his space opera series (don't stop reading because of Book 1).

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The only thing I know about Ready Player One is the protagonist actually talks about how his hero wrote a book on why masturbation is good.

I feel reading it would spoil my own mental image of what the rest of the book is about

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Archaeology Hat posted:

Ursula Le Guin is the one who wrote the book about moon anarchists right?

Yup

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

That was a good book.

It was also the book that made me realise my mum is much much further left than I had previously assumed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Oh dear me posted:

Oh, well in that case you should read Stephen Donaldson's Covenant series. (Don't stop reading because of an upsetting incident early on in Book 1, it is worth sticking with.) After that there is his mirrors series (lighthearted froth) and his space opera series (don't stop reading because of Book 1).

Counterpoint on the Gap - don't start reading because of Book 1. And I've read all the Thomas Covenant books.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pesky Splinter posted:

Have you a link, please?

Prepare your eyeballs! :unsmigghh:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: Thank you! :suicide:

The Guardian is drawing up potential candidates for May's successor from various readers.
They are Ruth Davidson*, David Davis, Philip Hammond, Amber Rudd, Jacob Rees-Mogg, and Dominic Raab, their reasons being:

Ruth Davidson - seen as more socially liberal.
David Davis - depends on his handling of Brexit (which has been loving terrible).
Miserable horse-faced Hammond - Apparently seen as a "safe-pair-of-hands" by Guardian readers. (What the christ)
Amber "Put-me-out-of-my-loving-misery" Rudd - "Rudd has the capability to mount an eloquent and convincing defence of the party’s track record, the absence of which undoubtedly led to a poor general election performance this year." (another, "what the christ")
Jacob Rees-Mogg - "I’ve been quite pleasantly surprised with the empathy he’s shown for ordinary people in recent months: post-Grenfell being a good example.” (Desperate attempt to find the Tory-Corbyn - the Torbyn - a literal loving walking-talking-making GBS threads caricature of an aristo Tory)
Dominic Raab - Insert TypicalTory.txt.

It's a loving sorry bunch, and even more so is the delusion/low loving standards they have for wanting someone to lead who isn't Theresa May.

*Admittedly I know gently caress all about Ruth Davidson, other than she's an openly gay Scotswoman who is Tory, and who seems to have made as little comment as possible on Westminster Tory policy, and recently said she didn't want to be Tory leader. That's all I know regarding her politics. :shrug:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Pesky Splinter posted:

^^^

The Guardian is drawing up potential candidates for May's successor from various readers.
They are Ruth Davidson*, David Davis, Philip Hammond, Amber Rudd, Jacob Rees-Mogg, and Dominic Raab, their reasons being:

David Davis - depends on his handling of Brexit (which has been loving terrible).
Miserable horse-faced Hammond - Apparently seen as a "safe-pair-of-hands" by Guardian readers. (What the christ)
Amber "Put-me-out-of-my-loving-misery" Rudd - "Rudd has the capability to mount an eloquent and convincing defence of the party’s track record, the absence of which undoubtedly led to a poor general election performance this year." (another, "what the christ")
Jacob Rees-Mogg - "I’ve been quite pleasantly surprised with the empathy he’s shown for ordinary people in recent months: post-Grenfell being a good example.” (Desperate attempt to find the Tory-Corbyn - the Torbyn - a literal loving walking-talking-making GBS threads caricature of an aristo Tory)

It's a loving sorry bunch, and even more so is the delusion/low loving standards they have for wanting someone to lead who isn't Theresa May.

*Admittedly I know gently caress all about Ruth Davidson, other than she's an openly gay Scotswoman who is Tory, and who seems have made as little comment as possible on Westminster Tory policy, and recently said she didn't want to be Tory leader. That's all I know regarding her politics. :shrug:

Davidson is your typical Cameron brand socially liberal-ish but hard choices must be made on the economy Tory. It's quite funny how visibly angry she has been at having to officially back various regressive legislation coming out of Westminster and she clearly hates May etc. She's dangerous in that she is genuinely charismatic, has a sense of humour and could win floating voters over. Honestly the only Tory I think could begin to counter Corbyn but from the looks of it she's staying put in Holyrood and thank god for it.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Also we're talking fantasy, Niel Gaimans Stardust and Neverwhere are both good books, if not exactly fantasy epics.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
ruth davison is not an MP, and also the current tory government is held up precariously by a group that explicitly hates her. ruth davidson will not be the next conservative leader

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

^^^

*Admittedly I know gently caress all about Ruth Davidson, other than she's an openly gay Scotswoman who is Tory, and who seems to have made as little comment as possible on Westminster Tory policy, and recently said she didn't want to be Tory leader. That's all I know regarding her politics. :shrug:

So of that list, Davidson isn't even an MP, David Davis is making an arse of Brexit even by the low standards of Tories negotiating with the EU, Amber Rudd has a majority of 326 & is being targeted heavily by Momentum so would have an incredible chance of going the way of Arthur Balfour & losing her seat while leader of the Tories, Jacob Rees-Mogg is a walking parody of his own background & part of a tiny fringe wingnut wing of the party, & Dominic Raab is an unknown who hasn't even held a Cabinet post. Meanwhile Philip Hammond abstained on gay marriage 4 years ago, and claimed banks aren't to blame for the 2008 financial crisis because "they had to lend to someone" which is just so loving stupid I can't quite process it.

What I'm saying is that I don't see how any of these would be a step up from Theresa May if I was a Conservative Party member. Mind you, if I was a Conservative Party member I'd shoot myself so YMMV.

Anyway, Ruth Davidson is currently getting a bit of bad press up here because the new Tory MP for Moray (& part-time football referee) has made some really iffy comments about Travellers & Davidson dismissed it as a local issue rather than a treating it as a Tory MP being casually racist towards one of the most persecuted minorities in the country.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 1, 2017

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Davidson is your typical Cameron brand socially liberal-ish but hard choices must be made on the economy Tory. It's quite funny how visibly angry she has been at having to officially back various regressive legislation coming out of Westminster and she clearly hates May etc. She's dangerous in that she is genuinely charismatic, has a sense of humour and could win floating voters over. Honestly the only Tory I think could begin to counter Corbyn but from the looks of it she's staying put in Holyrood and thank god for it.

I think Corbyn would probably win out, a fair whack of core Tory voters aren't going to go for a lesbian. Also he could really hold her feet to the fire over her party's history of racism and homophobia. She's charismatic but I think she lacks the media teflon of Dave which would force her to get bogged down in substantive debates, and therefore lose.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Davidson would be tricky since she isn't an MP, and would be vulnerable to attack on her social policies thanks to the deal with the DUP. She'd probably be the biggest threat to Corbyn though.

Amber Rudd is out purely because she has a majority of about 350 and could well lose her seat in the next election. Parachuting her into a safer constituency would leave the totally open to accusations of being such a terrible local MP that she needed saving from her own constituents.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

What I'm saying is that I don't see how any of these would be a step up from Theresa May if I was a Conservative Party member.
I'm not sure what motivates people to become Conservative Party members, so I can't help you with that one, but "so loving stupid I can't quite process it" might not be a dealbreaker to them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm pretty sure I said a long time ago that Cameron stepping down would gently caress the tories because they have nobody else.

I'm pleased to see that it remains true. Almost like Blair inspired politics are a bad idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jedit posted:

Counterpoint on the Gap - don't start reading because of Book 1. And I've read all the Thomas Covenant books.

You could be right, I think I actually started the Gap series at Book 2 (which merely has an upsetting incident early on), and this may have saved it for me. But I did enjoy the last few books a lot.

• Locked thread