Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i spent some time yesterday looking at this poo poo and it's rad as hell

microsoft is making a concerted effort to bridge c# into the broader open source ecosystem so people like me stop pointing out how loving awful C#-land is

here in about five years maybe it will be relevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Ploft-shell crab posted:

what’s wrong with spring & what is the recommended alternative on the jvm?

its overcomplicated and not necessary. the recommendation is to not replace it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

0x1991BABE posted:

my problem with java is mostly with enterprise try-hards. i have never seen a more pathological fear of coupling and desire to overengineer even the simplest things than with bad java devs.

like, i get it, tightly coupled brittle code sucks when you have to come back later and do big change, but you just spend an entire sprint writing wrappers and facades for a library that both you and i know we are NEVER going to change.

lol, just this friday i rewrote some tooling that was written in java that my co-worker spent like a month developing a year ago (and has never loving worked like it's supposed to) in go and it took like two hours.

yeah, if someone wants to use it in a different context they might have to change like 4 lines or take the opportunity to make it more general. but only a loving java developer would take a problem that can be trivially solved procedurally in like 150 lines of code and write 35 classes so that everything possible ever is paramterized, that tries to be everything to everyone, and does'nt even loving work

i think your coworker might be an rear end in a top hat

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't think you know what spark is, dawg

https://spark.apache.org/

spring is a huge ecosystem of good and cool stuff, not just a freaking di framework

spring boot (centralized configuration for all application instances)
spring security (sane AAA for most use cases in an easy to consume format)
etc etc

i may have been looking at something else, but the spark equivalent is service fabric which is language agnostic and can be deployed locally, in azure, or in a hybrid mode for scaling.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

i may have been looking at something else, but the spark equivalent is service fabric which is language agnostic and can be deployed locally, in azure, or in a hybrid mode for scaling.

lol i have never even heard of this laughable bullshit

it's the new windows for high performance computing or whatever nonsense they're selling this week

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

welcome to the world of microsoft's cloud platform.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's the new windows for high performance computing or whatever nonsense they're selling this week

its not, but whatever you want to believe to clutch your decades old ideas. service fabric rules.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
so this is kind of an object lesson in the difference between a vendor who works very hard to make developers lives good, and an ecosystem

spark isn't just good because i can build cool applications with spark, or because it has a nice interactive mode to do ad-hoc operations live. it's good because other people use it, and build things you can use with it, and build things on top of it, and send patches upstream.

microsoft's "service fabric" could be the greatest thing since slice bread and it would still be a dogshit ecosystem to live in because microsoft can't replace a gigantic fuckin army of programmers at non-software companies cooperating in the open

in c#-land, either you get your library from microsoft, or you are left scratching in the dirt, because there's no ecosystem.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
c# is a good language and the CLR is a good runtime and i am glad that microsoft is pursuing a new open source strategy

but the open source ecosystem ain't there yet, and i sure don't wanna live in microsoft's gilded cage in the meantime

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so this is kind of an object lesson in the difference between a vendor who works very hard to make developers lives good, and an ecosystem

spark isn't just good because i can build cool applications with spark, or because it has a nice interactive mode to do ad-hoc operations live. it's good because other people use it, and build things you can use with it, and build things on top of it, and send patches upstream.

microsoft's "service fabric" could be the greatest thing since slice bread and it would still be a dogshit ecosystem to live in because microsoft can't replace a gigantic fuckin army of programmers at non-software companies cooperating in the open

in c#-land, either you get your library from microsoft, or you are left scratching in the dirt, because there's no ecosystem.

there are plenty of non-Microsoft frameworks in .net that fill the same roles as 1st party things, but you've never heard of them because the 1st party stuff is just that good.

also despite java being a fine language and having, as you claim, this amazing ecosystem, people are still abandoning it in droves for .net because this poo poo is just that much better. Even without maven i would still use this stuff over java every single time. Java and .net are part of the same ecosystem of professional development, and right now .net is better in just about every way.

if there was something equivalent to asp.net in java i might consider going back to java, but there isn't. despite your vaunted ecosystem, java is still out of date and stagnating.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
people are abandoning java for .net?

really?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah. ever since asp.net mvc3. you may not see it cause you're a Linux developer, but its been a huge swing over for anyone doing web "development"

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Shaggar posted:

also sql embedded is compatible with sql server on a limited basis because its designed to be used as an embedded db, and doesn't contain a full server runtime. if you need a real server you'd use a real server and sql express is full sql server w/ limited db + instance sizes. you can turn it into any other version of sql server w/ a license change.
If by "sql embedded" you mean SQL Server Compact Edition, then no, you shouldn't use that, because it's dead.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Most such collaborations produce ecosystems full of dogshit. For example, see node.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fiedler posted:

Most such collaborations produce ecosystems full of dogshit. For example, see node.

yes but this is not the node thread

the java ecosystem is rich and filled with wonderful things. if the same natural processes gave rise only to dogshit on npm, that's a node programmer's problem. java: still good.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Fiedler posted:

If by "sql embedded" you mean SQL Server Compact Edition, then no, you shouldn't use that, because it's dead.

I can cherry pick garbage out of nuget too:
https://www.nuget.org/packages/scout208.MyFirstProduct.MyFirstPackage/
https://www.nuget.org/packages/Spring.Net/

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i think your coworker might be an rear end in a top hat

to be fair, i'm probably the rear end in a top hat too.

Shaggar posted:

also despite java being a fine language and having, as you claim, this amazing ecosystem, people are still abandoning it in droves for .net because this poo poo is just that much better.

is .net on linux ready for prime time, i.e. all the libs too? no matter how good the language and ecosystem is, i fail to believe people are leaving java for c# if it requires deploying to windows.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Shaggar posted:

yeah. ever since asp.net mvc3. you may not see it cause you're a Linux developer, but its been a huge swing over for anyone doing web "development"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

0x1991BABE posted:

to be fair, i'm probably the rear end in a top hat too.

is .net on linux ready for prime time, i.e. all the libs too? no matter how good the language and ecosystem is, i fail to believe people are leaving java for c# if it requires deploying to windows.

Linux users still in total disbelief that their dead gay platform is so old and antiquated.

windows deployments are wonderfully easy and you can deploy to azure even easier. Theres no equivalent to asp.net on azure for java. the closest thing is probably elastic beanstalk which is a joke.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

active directory, the directory service for when you do not actually intend to make any lookups against the directory

no, you don't make enterprise customer-base levels of directory lookups against AD because that's not what it's for, i'd fire you in a minute if you tried to implement AD as a store for customer data

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shaggar posted:

the closest thing is probably elastic beanstalk which is a joke.

let’s not get too crazy here.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
elastic beanstalk is fine, but its not as well thought out as azure. elastic beanstalk is a wizard around ec2 templating where azure is an actual paas

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Compare the number of downloads.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

dunno why anyone would want to bother with .net considering the jvm has superior languages, superior vms, etc. why tie yourself to the windows platform for a language like c# when you have dozens of better jvm languages available?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
Australian government has different ideas about active directory "purpose"

https://www.itwire.com/enterprise-solutions/76513-the-great-australian-citizen-28m-active-directory-domain.html

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Condiv posted:

dunno why anyone would want to bother with .net considering the jvm has superior languages, superior vms, etc. why tie yourself to the windows platform for a language like c# when you have dozens of better jvm languages available?

theres only one good jvm language and that's java, so idk what you're on about

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Shaggar posted:

theres only one good jvm language and that's java, so idk what you're on about

:wrong:

also, i finally learned today what graal is. It's a jvm jitc written in java that jitc itself as it runs

also, i learned how to activate it as main JITC in openjdk9: -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+EnableJVMCI -XX:+UseJVMCICompiler

in my benchmarks of it so far, it is 10% faster than the standard jvm if you have time to JIT, but 7% slower in some others. It also doesn't handle scala typeclasses well.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
what are the other good jvm languages? we know it has bad ones like scala and python.

I guess you could consider groovy a separate language, but if you're using groovy correctly you're basically writing java.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shaggar posted:

is there even a use case for javafx? nobody does UIs in java anymore.

and yet here I am doing uis in java :shrug:

web apps are terrible for every use case that isn’t just crud. and we need to run on macos as well as windows, and we’re building on a substantial existing java codebase. it seemed like the obvious thing

with hindsight it was a terrible idea because javafx is bad

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Shaggar posted:

what are the other good jvm languages? we know it has bad ones like scala and python.

I guess you could consider groovy a separate language, but if you're using groovy correctly you're basically writing java.

kotlin, scala, clojure, frege, etc. lots of good jvm languages to choose from. also, scala is definitely good cause java keeps borrowing from it

Soricidus posted:

and yet here I am doing uis in java :shrug:

web apps are terrible for every use case that isn’t just crud. and we need to run on macos as well as windows, and we’re building on a substantial existing java codebase. it seemed like the obvious thing

with hindsight it was a terrible idea because javafx is bad

seems p good to me op

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Condiv posted:

kotlin, scala, clojure, frege, etc. lots of good jvm languages to choose from. also, scala is definitely good cause java keeps borrowing from it

those are all very bad languages. I was asking for the good ones.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Shaggar posted:

i'm actually surprised a c# lover like you hates kotlin.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

i'm curious if you like any languages that aren't java or c#

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there aren't any good ones outside of c# and java. there are a handful of mediocre ones but most are really bad

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

akadajet posted:

i'm curious if you like any languages that aren't java or c#
That's like asking your rabbi if he wants a pulled-pork sandwich.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
does kotlin do anything to make it a language instead of a slang?

i used it and liked it but all i see is sugar over java. to me kotlin is to java like coffeescript is to javascript except its good. there were no new concepts in kotlin iirc.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

does kotlin do anything to make it a language instead of a slang?

i used it and liked it but all i see is sugar over java. to me kotlin is to java like coffeescript is to javascript except its good. there were no new concepts in kotlin iirc.

to give one example, it has declaration-site variance for generics instead of java's wildcards, which allows for more programs to be typed. in general the type system is well thought out and designed by people who knew what they were doing

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

JewKiller 3000 posted:

to give one example, it has declaration-site variance for generics instead of java's wildcards, which allows for more programs to be typed. in general the type system is well thought out and designed by people who knew what they were doing

this is compile time tho, right?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

this is compile time tho, right?

yeah. it's also being added to java in the future iirc. i don't know a ton about kotlin since to me it's really more of a scala--, but imo, if any j-lang were a c# analogue, it'd be

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

edit: nm, it might've been a bug in my own code triggering an issue that seemed similar to the one I was experiencing with openj9.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Condiv posted:

seems p good to me op

nah

here’s my javafx experience:

PHASE 1
oh hey this is really cool. we can just make a scene graph with our stuff and let it render things nicely

oh poo poo as soon as the scene gets remotely complex everything slows to a crawl because it’s applying css very slowly to everything. and trying to dynamically add/remove stuff when it’s offscreen doesn’t help because you have to apply all the css before you know how big anything is, and that takes actual minutes

PHASE 2
ok we can just use a canvas and draw our own stuff. it’s fast and looks good!

oh wait the canvas api is so half assed as to be useless. like you can draw a string, but there is literally no way to find out how much space the string you drew is taking up. you can approximate it by using loving awt font metrics of all things but the results are subtly wrong because javafx font rendering is different. the poo poo part is that all the apis you need exist, they’re just private and have remained private despite a bug asking for a public javafx font metrics api having been open since approximately 30 seconds after the first javafx release

PHASE 3
phew, our javafx app finally works properly and fast. except idk why we’re still using javafx because the way it works is to use java2d to render to bitmaps which are then blitted to a canvas

• Locked thread