Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

any persistent bugs or nonsense with the firefox beta so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I haven't noticed any. I'm using it at work too

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Share Bear posted:

i generally have more luck working with firefox's dev tools than chrome's but i also never have to touch loving web dev anymore

scratchpad is cool i dont know when they added that

each browser's dev tools has its upsides and downsides, its specialties and weaknesses

except certain versions of ie11, where they're utterly broken

yes, there's multiple versions of ie11. in particular, ie11 on windows 10 is noticeably different from ie11 on previous windows OSes. your ie's behavior is also affected by what windows patches you do or don't have installed. occasionally this means poo poo on your page might break depending on which particular build of ie the customer happens to be running

microsoft is just the worst

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh lastpass extension isn't compatible with the beta yet, rip

i was liking what i saw too :(

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

salr doesnt work

burning swine
May 26, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

I don't miss Opera 12 at this point at all. it doesn't have email or irc or newsgroups built in but who the hell needs that

First feature it was missing was rebindable keyboard shortcuts. Looks like it's finally got that capability again

they should never have shipped without that ready, and it looks like it took them about 3 years to finally implement

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Ciaphas posted:

any persistent bugs or nonsense with the firefox beta so far?

it's still awful

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

firefox cheerleading should be bannable

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
I'm trying out Vivaldi now, and after some settings adjustments I'm really liking it! surprised

pram
Jun 10, 2001

LastInLine posted:

firefox cheerleading should be bannable

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

hifi posted:

salr doesnt work

as per the current salr maintainer, it will continue not to work until the forum moves to xenforo sometime in the next century

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
also before anyone really starts like firefox again, check this out

https://blog.mozilla.org/press-uk/2017/10/06/testing-cliqz-in-firefox/

quote:

About a year ago, Mozilla announced a strategic investment in Cliqz GmbH, the Munich, Germany-based provider of search and privacy tools. Today, we want to tell you about an important upcoming Firefox test in Germany that will use Cliqz technology.

Cliqz delivers recommendations and other information, such as news, weather, and sports, directly into the address bar as you type. In our Firefox Context Graph post last year, we highlighted the increasing problem of centralisation and how that impacts discovery on the Web. We want to provide recommendations from new and diverse places, make space for innovation in discovery and navigation, and above all build experiences our users love.

The Cliqz product has demonstrated great potential throughout Firefox testing this year. Users tell us their recommendations are fast, valuable, and save time by taking them directly to the intended destination.

Next week, we will be launching our most significant test so far. Less than one percent of users in Germany installing Firefox from our main download page will receive a version of Firefox with Cliqz recommendations enabled out of the box.

This experiment also includes the data collection tool Cliqz uses to build its recommendation engine. Users who receive a version of Firefox with Cliqz will have their browsing activity sent to Cliqz servers, including the URLs of pages they visit. Cliqz uses several techniques to attempt to remove sensitive information from this browsing data before it is sent from Firefox. Cliqz does not build browsing profiles for individual users and discards the user’s IP address once the data is collected. Cliqz’s code is available for public review and a description of these techniques can be found here.

One of Mozilla’s core privacy principles is No Surprises: we will use and share data in ways that are transparent and benefit our users. That is why we are telling you about this today. We want users to understand why we’ve taken this approach and what it means for them. While still a small experiment, the data collection and new search experience are major changes in the way this build of Firefox performs. We hope that users will appreciate the improved experience, but if users want to turn it off, they can always disable data collection or remove the Cliqz add-on entirely.

We’ll keep you posted on the results of this test. Mozilla and Cliqz share a commitment to our mission and to delivering a great product. We are excited to see how users respond.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Dodoman posted:

mozilla no

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i got an email from mozilla the other day about trying out this cool new addition to the browser called pocket.

mozilla no.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Dodoman posted:

as per the current salr maintainer, it will continue not to work until the forum moves to xenforo sometime in the next century

lmao

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the literal forum software itself has provided years of entertainment

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bloody posted:

i love that we live in a world where basic websites where all useful information is text (or text with a couple of pictures) take multiple seconds from request to page render on modern computers with hundred megabit connections

I'm happy searching an index as huge as googles only takes a second or two.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

quote:

Cliqz GmbH
Oh look it's that company that bought Ghostery.

From https://cliqz.com/en/ it's weirdly advertising itself as something for the privacy-minded.

quote:

The no-compromise browser.

Cliqz gives you relevant search results and does not leak your private data.

Nope, it's just collecting, and potentially selling. But it's okay because it also blocks cookies and ads. And it's not google.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Dodoman posted:

:whitewater:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the fade in/out on fullscreening videos is irritating but it's a quick change in about:config

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Granbar posted:

I'm trying out Vivaldi now, and after some settings adjustments I'm really liking it! surprised

vivaldi is legit good

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

hifi posted:

the fade in/out on fullscreening videos is irritating but it's a quick change in about :config

i know janitoring a browser shouldnt be good but i like that, in all these years, i can still dig into the config file and do whatever i drat well please

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Cliqz is the new bonzi buddy

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dodoman posted:

why are they building ads directly into the browser

i thought mozilla was a nonprofit

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Dodoman posted:

as the guy who created salr in the first place, why the hell is anyone even still using salr?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

biznatchio posted:

as the guy who created salr in the first place, why the hell is anyone even still using salr?

keyboard shortcuts were really nice

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

keyboard shortcuts, highlight read threads with new posts

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

actually scrolling down to the first new post on page load

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Agile Vector posted:

i know janitoring a browser shouldnt be good but i like that, in all these years, i can still dig into the config file and do whatever i drat well please

With chrome settings like that are rare / non existent, or i have to google them to just find them... so much easier to just search in about :config

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i guess you can just port the chrome salr to firefox? i changed like 2 variable names and it loaded the extension, options page worked, and it looks like its storing prefs correctly. there's some csp problem so nothing actually works

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

vivaldi is legit good

if you like a web browser written in node.js

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

vivaldi is legit good

can't see a single reason to switch back to Chrome

burning swine
May 26, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

far from the first time that good software has been written in a stupid language

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i am now running failfox nightly lol

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

hifi posted:

i guess you can just port the chrome salr to firefox? i changed like 2 variable names and it loaded the extension, options page worked, and it looks like its storing prefs correctly. there's some csp problem so nothing actually works

i got thread coloring working. the csp problem is blocking jquery from loading, i think, so keyboard nav doesn't work

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

who cares if it's good?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres no chance anything built w/ node.js is good

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I built a real time market data distribution system with TypeScript and Node.js, and the verdict is it is ok. 30,000 updates per second compared to millions in C++, at least it is faster than most users of node. Embracing the future, or something. Still major :lol:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

vivaldi is legit good

closed source but free of charge?

they are gonna sell you to advertisers at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

someone let me know when/if the lastpass guys make their extension work with new-firefox, i really like it but that's a dealbreaker atm

• Locked thread