Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Barry Convex posted:

hey guys I wonder what the writer of Identity Crisis is up to these days

https://twitter.com/bradmeltzer/status/917399865226821632

God, I despise centrism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Endless Mike posted:

I mean, I've still seen it as of this year.

Yeah, I still see the commercial regularly.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Keep the :10bux: brad I'm not going on a date with a Nazi

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Barry Convex posted:

hey guys I wonder what the writer of Identity Crisis is up to these days

https://twitter.com/bradmeltzer/status/917399865226821632

Pepsi 2.0

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Why the gently caress would you want people to associate your product with any kind of pox?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Alhazred posted:

Why the gently caress would you want people to associate your product with any kind of pox?

Tapping into millennials subconscious acceptance of nihilism and yearning for death

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

site posted:

Tapping into millennials subconscious acceptance of nihilism and yearning for death

Everybody knows that it's tuberculosis that's the cool fatal disease, not pox.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

Yeah, I still see the commercial regularly.

I saw it on BBC America 20 minutes ago.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

On the one hand: haha Meltzer's a centrist dork, plus Gandhi was effectively useless in the face of Pakistan's formation and the violence that followed.

On the other hand: I'm seeing a lot of replies to the tune of, "so you want me to talk to Nazis/harrassers/homophobes?" That's a pretty wild swing from "person you disagree with politically," is it not?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Space Fish posted:

On the one hand: haha Meltzer's a centrist dork, plus Gandhi was effectively useless in the face of Pakistan's formation and the violence that followed.

On the other hand: I'm seeing a lot of replies to the tune of, "so you want me to talk to Nazis/harrassers/homophobes?" That's a pretty wild swing from "person you disagree with politically," is it not?

This is where we are in 2017 dogg.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I mean, my politics are basically "stop killing people for being black, poor, or queer" so people who disagree with that pretty much fall in those categories.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well on one side is us and on the other are literal Nazis so no i don't think it's a stretch

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

purple death ray posted:

This is where we are in 2017 dogg.

In order to further elaborate: there are those on the far right who are offended that the newest game in the Wolfenstein franchise; a series that has been exclusively about killing Nazis en mass in gratuitously violent fashions for thirty years, is about killing Nazis en mass in gratuitously violent fashions.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Skwirl posted:

I'm moving this topic here, because it's a very interesting idea to me, but way off topic for the thread I started talking about it in. We were talking about the idea of making comics that were physically similar to what someone in the 30's would be holding in their hands when they bought one new.

You can't get sued for copyright until you try and sell the final product. Reprint something in the public domain if you want to mass print it. And again, it's been done before with vintage products like jeans or for something more recent, polaroid film.

There has to be schematics for old printing presses, and some actual ones in physical storage somewhere you could restore.

There is a company called Alternacomics who I believe is doing comic runs on some sort of newspaper-style stock, and their issue prices don't seem all that outrageous (I think about $1-2 an issue).

From their site:
Single issues print on newsprint with a glossy cover. The printing quality is almost identical to the comic books of the late 80's/early 90's
and on submission guidelines for comics
Flats/cell-shading preferred because these will be printing on newsprint.

They specifically say late 80s/early 90s, though, so while it's still far away from the 30s era of printing that is looking to be emulated, I'm not sure if whatever techniques they did use would be similar enough in that regard.

Since it compares quality to that of standard late-80s/early 90s comics, and I only flipped through a single issue I saw of something pretty quickly, I don't know if that's the actual lower-end comics and coloring style of that era of that era or if it uses that slightly more prestige quality stuff from around that same time. (I want to say 'baxter paper' was a term I recall for comics from that time that were printed on a smoother, thicker and whiter paper with more solid coloring for about $0.25-0.50 more.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

site posted:

Well on one side is us and on the other are literal Nazis so no i don't think it's a stretch

I don't really want to go down this rabbit hole, but is the problem Brad is talking about binary "us versus them" thinking?

Like, I get that people feel very strongly about issues. And the people on the extremes who are supporting Nazi's and are full on into rounding up and killing everyone who they disagree with, no you can't be expected to sit down and deal with them.

But that is not the only other political side out there. There are certainly other people who are at the right wing side of the spectrum, who are still very much against Nazi'ism/ White Supremists. And it is those people who I think he is calling out for people on the Left to sit down with.

And tangentially it also touches upon the point, why has the support from the Alt Right ballooned in recent years, and why are so many of their supporters young, white kids from backgrounds not previously linked to extremism? Are they being pushed there because they feel threatened and under siege and that extremists are targeting vulnerable youths to sign up? (Which, when you break it down, is very much like how ISIS/ Daesh get's its recruits.)

Calling for compassion and trying to offer a discourse isn't a blanket solution that will work with everyone. But I think that there is a hell of a lot of people who it should go with.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Why should it be our responsibility to coddle Nazis or Nazi apologists? I don't recall anybody in the center telling rednecks to go buy Muslims ice cream and try to understand them, why is extending olive branches only ever expected of the the people who are not frothing monsters? We have a group synonymous with evil, a group dedicated to the literal death of anyone on the other side, and they're out there putting that ideology into practice. They have already killed people. But a bunch of people with donut emoji in their Twitter names want us to hug the hate away or whatever. gently caress clean off.

And yes, if you aren't a Nazi but you think there's any truth to this "both sides" narrative, you are sympathizing with Nazis, which, surprise, makes you a Nazi sympathizer.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I wish I could give Brad Meltzer gangtags to warn people how terrible he is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't believe this, but Steve Ditko was right about compromise.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The Red Skull sundae looks way tastier than the Captain America one. This is how they get you!!

:tinfoil:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, I never realised Christopher Reeve was only 25 when he was cast as Superman. I knew he was more or less unknown but I always assumed he was older, rather than being the same age as me!

It's like how everything Otis Redding did he recorded when he was between the ages of 19 and 26, which is pretty mad when you listen to that music, isn't it?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Question IRL posted:

I don't really want to go down this rabbit hole, but is the problem Brad is talking about binary "us versus them" thinking?

Like, I get that people feel very strongly about issues. And the people on the extremes who are supporting Nazi's and are full on into rounding up and killing everyone who they disagree with, no you can't be expected to sit down and deal with them.

But that is not the only other political side out there. There are certainly other people who are at the right wing side of the spectrum, who are still very much against Nazi'ism/ White Supremists. And it is those people who I think he is calling out for people on the Left to sit down with.

And tangentially it also touches upon the point, why has the support from the Alt Right ballooned in recent years, and why are so many of their supporters young, white kids from backgrounds not previously linked to extremism? Are they being pushed there because they feel threatened and under siege and that extremists are targeting vulnerable youths to sign up? (Which, when you break it down, is very much like how ISIS/ Daesh get's its recruits.)

Calling for compassion and trying to offer a discourse isn't a blanket solution that will work with everyone. But I think that there is a hell of a lot of people who it should go with.

Well first off, conservativism is built around anti-women, anti-poc, anti-poor, anti-queer, anti-everybody that isn't white men with property policies so let's not pretend that there are "very fine people" on the other side as trump would say, if only we gave them a chance

Second, as pdr said, it's not my job to coddle white supremacists who grew up being told by their white boomer parents and schools that they can be and do anything if only they bootstrap themselves hard enough, only to be faced with the truth that capitalism, which also has deep roots in racism, misogyny, etc, has placed them in positions in which that can never be true. These people willingly choose to direct their anger at people who are even more harmed by the system than themselves instead of towards the actual causes of their problems because punching down makes them feel good.

The expectation that i am supposed to do so, instead of cis white people handling their own poo poo, is just another tool of systemic marginalization to shift the burden from the people who built and continue to prop up the system onto those most directly affected by it.

site fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 10, 2017

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

site posted:

Well first off, conservatism is built around anti-women, anti-poc, anti-poor, anti-queer policies, anti-everybody that isn't white men with property so let's not pretend that there are "very fine people" on the other side as trump would say, if only we gave them a chance

Second, as pdr said, it's not my job to coddle white supremacists who grew up being told by their white boomer parents and schools that they can be and do anything if only they bootstrap themselves hard enough, only to be faced with the truth that capitalism, which also has deep roots in racism, misogyny, etc, had placed them in positions in which that can never be true. These people willingly choose to direct their anger to people who are even more harmed by the system than themselves instead of towards the actual causes of their problems because punching down makes them feel good.

The expectation that i am supposed to do so instead instead of cis white people handling their own poo poo is just another tool of systemic marginalization to shift the burden from the people who built and continue to prop up the system onto those most directly affected by it.

:discourse:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'm afraid that emote has a more sarcastic meaning than you're intending here

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

This is real. I seriously didn't think this was real. Why would anybody ok "Choose the Nazi Sundae?"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That's Capitalism

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Roth posted:

That's Capitalism

I'm very much a chocolate person and not a strawberries person at all so...uh...poo poo.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Alaois posted:

I'm afraid that emote has a more sarcastic meaning than you're intending here

I did not know that. Well then, just taking it as an earnest agreement with the argument.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I still don't know if you're supposed to use :stoked: sarcastically or in earnest.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That bird is nothing but earnest.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Thank goodness.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

JediTalentAgent posted:

They specifically say late 80s/early 90s, though, so while it's still far away from the 30s era of printing that is looking to be emulated, I'm not sure if whatever techniques they did use would be similar enough in that regard.

No one should emulate '30s print quality. No one should want to. It was garbage.

And 21st century American conservatism is so far gone that engaging with it is fruitless. Donald Trump should be proof enough of that. There are individual conservatives who are worth talking to, but the cult of the alt-right/Fox News narrative is beyond reaching. And I count people I love in that statement.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
I thought some people would be interested in this: Jim Zub, creator of Wayward, Skullkickers, and Glitterbomb, decided to openly release his sales, profitability, etc. figures and discussed changing trends in the marketplace.

Tl;dr His series, Wayward, has been falling in the direct market so much that his floppies now make a loss overall. However, profitability of the series has actually gone up greatly due to the digital and trade market for the series growing to more than make-up for the loss in the direct market.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I'm sure I'm not alone in almost exclusively buying trades. Is there something romantic about releasing floppies if you're an indie guy or girl creator as opposed to a complete collection?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mr. Maltose posted:

That bird went to camp and saved Christmas?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That buddy will soon be scared stupid, my friend.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Zoro posted:

I thought some people would be interested in this: Jim Zub, creator of Wayward, Skullkickers, and Glitterbomb, decided to openly release his sales, profitability, etc. figures and discussed changing trends in the marketplace.

Tl;dr His series, Wayward, has been falling in the direct market so much that his floppies now make a loss overall. However, profitability of the series has actually gone up greatly due to the digital and trade market for the series growing to more than make-up for the loss in the direct market.

Zub has always been awesome for inside baseball looks at comics. He did a bunch of these kinds of analysis's during Skullkickers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wayward is actually one of the few books that I trade read and forego single issues, and usually not on a timely schedule. I see Volume 4 is out and I have yet to read Volume 3 even though I do have it. I'm moving that way for most indie books as well. Part of that is that the scheduling and lack of release on some indie books has bitten me in the rear end where I get invested in a story and then it's six months or more before the people can put another issue out *cough*4kidswalkintoabank*cough*afterlifewitharchie*cough* and that just kills all the momentum. This is not usually a problem with Marvel, DC, Valiant, or even a lot of proven indie books with a track record. But newer books I'm real wary on unless I just know the creative team has a good track record of actually publishing books. Sometimes it's just a book like a Wayward or a Shutter or an Invisible Republic where I prefer to read the story in chunks and don't need to read it as released. They're stories I like but I feel like they don't lose the impact if I don't read them right away.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm sure I'm not alone in almost exclusively buying trades. Is there something romantic about releasing floppies if you're an indie guy or girl creator as opposed to a complete collection?

I like floppies, but mainly because I mostly buy digital. You essentially get the story in installment, like a tv series. I would say for cheaper...but Marvel kind of fucks that up. DC is a little more on point price-wise. But, regardless, it's just nice that, ever Wednesday, I get a ping on my phone telling me what series I just bought and I got something to read all of a sudden.

Why does digital matter to this discussion? Because, if I only bought physical, I'd run out of room for them fast.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
So seeing a link to this is the first way I learn that the cringey "Alt-Hero" comic apparently got Chuck Dixon to write it

Somehow that doesn't entirely surprise me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

joehonkie posted:

This is real. I seriously didn't think this was real. Why would anybody ok "Choose the Nazi Sundae?"

62,984,825 probably would choose the Nazi Sundae.

• Locked thread