Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I loved all of Peralta's puns, even if I did have to explain "We Need to Talk About Kevin" to my wife. "Everybody Loves Raymond" being met with "Don't" had me in stitches. And Holt's texting etiquette... he treats each text like a small personal letter. I'm surprised he didn't leave three or four blank spaces after "sincerely."

I also loved the pervert costumes. Jake's in particular reminded me of the "Do the Creep" Digital Short.

But the best part of the episode was Rosa's scenes in the beauty parlor. That thick accent, the make-up, and the hair... all great. But the look on her face as she holds down her bile to ask what she'd look like as a blonde, and then asks for a perm... priceless. The best single moment there had to be when she was turned to face the mirror with her now blonde hair, and she gives a scream that goes from horrified to forced excitement and happiness seamlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I gotta say, Rosa almost pulled that look off. Almost.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

She actually looks a lot like Tomei.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Kevin's anger at being denied Captain Corelli's Mandolin and Leaving Las Vegas was great.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Kevin's anger at being denied Captain Corelli's Mandolin and Leaving Las Vegas was great.

I was disappointed that they didn't mention Raising Arizona, which is both an early Coen Brothers film (so it's Artsy) and has The Caged One doing action and slapstick (so it's Fartsy).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jonas Albrecht posted:

"There was a movie about a Mandolin?"

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
That was definitely classic B99. Occasional Hitchcock & Scully competence is fun!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Doug Judy episodes are the best!

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Has Hitchcock always been a sex pervert and I forgot? The line about his super young girlfriend felt extremely out of place, but I lose track. I also suffer Gina blindness.

I desperately want to know what Kevin thought of Snake Eyes. It's in my top 5 movies, but I want to hear his Ivy League destruction of it.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

"Spreadsheet spreadsheet, crime crime, precinct precinct"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Of my first 50 jumpers, 49 died!

HookShot posted:

Doug Judy episodes are the best!

:agreed:

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

fizzymercy posted:

Has Hitchcock always been a sex pervert and I forgot? The line about his super young girlfriend felt extremely out of place, but I lose track. I also suffer Gina blindness.

I desperately want to know what Kevin thought of Snake Eyes. It's in my top 5 movies, but I want to hear his Ivy League destruction of it.

Hitchcock has always been a huge sex pervert and they've made a ton of jokes about this before.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I want them to make a Brooklyn 99 movie that un-apologetically steals the plot from several Nicolas Cage movies and features Jake and Doug Judy as the protagonists. Imagine them finding a treasure map on the back of the declaration of independence. Jake and Judy need to break into Alcatraz, Jake and Judy kidnap a baby to raise together, Jake and Judy undergo a surgery where they switch faces. Really the possibilities are endless.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

lifts cats over head posted:

I want them to make a Brooklyn 99 movie that un-apologetically steals the plot from several Nicolas Cage movies and features Jake and Doug Judy as the protagonists. Imagine them finding a treasure map on the back of the declaration of independence. Jake and Judy need to break into Alcatraz, Jake and Judy kidnap a baby to raise together, Jake and Judy undergo a surgery where they switch faces. Really the possibilities are endless.

I'll bring it up again... Jake and Judy steal some MacGuffin (perhaps they kidnap a hostage named MacGuffin) because they need one and the person they take it from has "more than they can handle." Hilarity ensues.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Jake and Holt interrogate a suspect who won't break on the next episode, which calls back to the best episode of Homicide, or any episode where Braugher got to interrogate a suspect.

Edit: This episode! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gan5ZcHctlI

PotatoJudge fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 1, 2018

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, drat!

What a great episode. The bit where Jake throws the chair had me cackling.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
"They're under the name Holt. H-O-L-"

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I love that this episode was focused on one storyline.

And, of course, when Jake figures out what he needs to do.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Holt getting worked up about doctors ahahaha

Oh drat

Oh drat

OH drat

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

"Ooh, the opera. Is it the one Bugs Bunny sang?"
"... yes."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

tarlibone posted:

I'll bring it up again... Jake and Judy steal some MacGuffin (perhaps they kidnap a hostage named MacGuffin) because they need one and the person they take it from has "more than they can handle." Hilarity ensues.

yeah, if they're gonna do a Nic Cage movie riff, this is the way to go. this is a subtle way to parody Raising Arizona. literally having them kidnap a baby would be too on-the-nose.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Holt getting worked up about doctors ahahaha

Oh drat

Oh drat

OH drat

The scene was so perfectly paced that I can fully imagine that someone on the writing staff was either a witness or a part of that exact conversation in real life. From the calm collected "Well there are less dental schools" to Holt going from 0-60 in 3 seconds and cutting off the rant at the perfect moment to cut to him sipping water.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
My favourite thing about Hitchcock is that he absolutely kills every line he’s given

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Pretty different format, but it was good! Have they done bottle episodes like that before?

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

404notfound posted:

Pretty different format, but it was good! Have they done bottle episodes like that before?

Not strictly, but the spiritual predecessor of this episode "48 Hours" counts - and others like "Lockdown" and "9 Days" have a very similar feel.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

I dunno y'all, the etymology rant may be the pinnacle of this show for me

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eat a jerk, pal.

Focus on the butt. The butt don't lie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/983141037651693569

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Boom Boom!

Holy poo poo the Backstreet Boys cold open :discourse:

I need that Holt soundboard.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That Backstreet Boys cold open is easily in the top 3 best cold opens ever.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

HookShot posted:

That Backstreet Boys cold open is easily in the top 3 best cold opens ever.

Chills

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Imagine that guy singing that while murdering a dude.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apparently this show is likely to be cancelled after this season which wtf

I looked at the ratings and they are pretty bad these days somehow

I assume we’ll probably get at least one more due to acclaim like the GLAAD award but who knows

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
That cold open beats out the full bullpen for best ever.

Edit: did we know that Jake had a half sister before? Like was it something his dad told him in a previous episode?

swickles fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 16, 2018

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

swickles posted:

That cold open beats out the full bullpen for best ever.

Edit: did we know that Jake had a half sister before? Like was it something his dad told him in a previous episode?

He mentioned it in hospital on thanksgiving when he was doped up. He also said that he told Jake about his sisters, but not the brothers.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Ohh, Debbie dead. Debbie real dead.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Of the eight types of walkers, which type are you?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
We all need a Holt soundboard in our life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Laterite posted:

We all need a Holt soundboard in our life.

"Get. Some."

Nasim Pedrad should be in all the shows.