Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Clemson jumps Miami in the coaches poll. I guess they technically didn't lose to Syracuse again but.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I think Harbaugh is gonna bounce to the Colts when they fire Pagano, so Michigan won’t have to worry about whether to fire him if he can’t win the conference.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rad Valtar posted:

Also Harbaugh and Hoke have the same exact record through 33 games. I mean it’s obvious that Harbaugh is a way better coach but it’s fun to poke Michigan fans who thought Harbaugh was the second coming.

I'm too lazy to look it up, what's that record? Might need to troll my fellow Michigan fans for a moment...

Crotch Bat posted:

He's definitely good but there will be a lot of questions going forward from this game about when he's going to start putting together big wins and winning the conference. Like I said, it's bad enough they're playing second fiddle to OSU under Meyer, if they get relegated to 3rd or even 4th in the conference in a given year that will be when he's shown the door.

I don't know, Hoke overstayed his welcome by a year or two solely off of the Michigan Man narrative, while RichRod was chased out arguably too early for not being a Michigan Man. Harbaugh is like Exhibit A on the Michigan Man front so I think he'll get a pretty long leash.

I like to think that if Harbaugh leaves Michigan with no wins of any significance it will finally break the Michigan Man narrative but that's probably way too optimistic.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 22, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I'm too lazy to look it up, what's that record? Might need to troll my fellow Michigan fans for a moment...

I don't know, Hoke overstayed his welcome by a year or two solely off of the Michigan Man narrative, while RichRod was chased out arguably too early for not being a Michigan Man. Harbaugh is like Exhibit A on the Michigan Man front so I think he'll get a pretty long leash.

I like to think that if Harbaugh leaves Michigan with no wins of any significance it will finally break the Michigan Man narrative but that's probably way too optimistic.

25-8

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Harbaugh was 12-1 with Stanford in 2010, and they didn't win the conference because Oregon was Peak Oregon. No shame in that.

As for Hoke-vs-Harbaugh:

Harbaugh Year 1: 10-3
Harbaugh Year 2: 10-3
Harbaugh Year 3, 7 games in: 5-2

Hoke Year 1: 11-2
Hoke Year 2: 8-5
Hoke Year 3, 7 games in: 6-1
Hoke Year 3, the rest of the way: 1-5
Hoke Year 4: 5-7

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 22, 2017

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

D.N. Nation posted:

Harbaugh was 12-1 with Stanford in 2010, and they didn't win the conference because Oregon was Peak Oregon. No shame in that.

yeah but he's never won the conference and Michigan fans are gonna be mad if far-fetched hypothetical

If y'all think Harbaugh isn't good enough maybe he can go to a long-suffering program again and make everyone forget that Stanford used to be loving appalling at football.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

D.N. Nation posted:

Yeah but now he has to deal with Peak Ohio State and Peak Penn State, plus an extremely irritating in state rival. If he hasn’t at least won the East in the next two years he’s gonna be in trouble. He at the very least needs to start beating Michigan State and OSU.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

D.N. Nation posted:

He also had to contend with the Seahawks hitting their peak while he was in San Fran, and still made it to the NFC championship 3 times and the Super Bowl once. He’s a really good coach with some really unfortunate timing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

yeah but he's never won the conference and Michigan fans are gonna be mad if far-fetched hypothetical

If y'all think Harbaugh isn't good enough maybe he can go to a long-suffering program again and make everyone forget that Stanford used to be loving appalling at football.

I think he’s good enough to pull it off but I also think building a terrible program into a great one requires a different skill set than winning a title with all the best resources available.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
Advice for all ACC teams: don't play Georgia Tech on Homecoming, it continues to be a bad move

That being said, we will win maybe 3 more games this season and Clemson is gonna loving murder us next Saturday

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
:lol: Miss

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

what if hitler were black, and, also, in the Big Ten West?

If he can win he'd get cheers, but not booster's daughters

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

FLEXBONER posted:

Advice for all ACC teams: don't play Georgia Tech on Homecoming, it continues to be a bad move

That being said, we will win maybe 3 more games this season and Clemson is gonna loving murder us next Saturday

That's pretty optimistic. Are you counting a bowl? :v:

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Travis Homer threw up a peace out sign to defender as he ran for a TD.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
We live in a world where Iowa State is ranked in the AP Poll.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I would just like to let you know a little something about the flordia gators:

they wear jorts and are bad

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Hells yeah storm buddy.

3 teams from Florida are bowl eligible and ranked.

FSU isn't even the best 4 loss team this year.

I love football.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dilber posted:

FSU isn't even the best 4 loss team this year.

Well, I know it's not Texas because Maryland has 4 losses and the head-to-head win.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

That's pretty optimistic. Are you counting a bowl? :v:

yes

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Seems reasonable. I could see us beating UVA and Duke and some mediocre G5 team in our 6-6 bowl matchup. Alternatively, drop one of those games and inexplicably steal one of VT/Clemson/UGA.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

PostNouveau posted:

Well, I know it's not Texas because Maryland has 4 losses and the head-to-head win.

the transitive poll is all hosed because of us losing to Maryland, beating Iowa State and Oklahoma losing to them

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
is notre dame going to get in over the loser of the sec championship game, assuming all 3 teams (bama, ND and Georgia) win out? because gently caress notre dame

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Pakled posted:

Seems reasonable. I could see us beating UVA and Duke and some mediocre G5 team in our 6-6 bowl matchup. Alternatively, drop one of those games and inexplicably steal one of VT/Clemson/UGA.

since UCF was cancelled, we only have to win one game to go bowling b/c we can apply for a waiver and will likely get it (academics comes into play when considering waiver status, iirc), so we will absolutely take one of either Duke or UVA, and likely get to a bowl at 5-6 and possible end the season 6-6 with a bowl win (or 5-7 with a bowl loss :laffo:)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

is notre dame going to get in over the loser of the sec championship game, assuming all 3 teams (bama, ND and Georgia) win out? because gently caress notre dame

Yes. Nobody wants an SEC rematch and ND brings big ratings

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Depends on how close the SEC championship game is

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I'd be some poo poo for ND to get in over UGA when UGA beat them in the head to head. Of course, at the start of this season, I (and probably most fans) weren't even looking at the potential for playing in the playoffs. We just wanted to get to Atlanta, either by hook or by crook.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't need to watch Alabama dismantle ND again.

I mean, poo poo, I will always wanna win the big ten, but gently caress going to the playoffs until Saban retires because I don't need to see Alabama decleat MSU for the third time since I've been watching.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

KKKLIP ART posted:

I'd be some poo poo for ND to get in over UGA when UGA beat them in the head to head. Of course, at the start of this season, I (and probably most fans) weren't even looking at the potential for playing in the playoffs. We just wanted to get to Atlanta, either by hook or by crook.

As a Penn State fan I have to tell you head to head wins and conference championships apparently don't matter to the selection committee so...

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
a one loss ND absolutely gets in because the playoffs is about putting teams with big TV watching fanbases into the game

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Also ND is really good!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Notre Dame has something like 6-7 ranked opponents on the schedule. If they beat them all and their only loss is to Georgia they have a legit case, as much as we don't want it to be true.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

Michigan lost like almost literally their entire team to the NFL. They're fine, and Harbaugh is very good. It's extremely fun to make fun of him but there isn't actually something deeply wrong with the program.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

they returned 5 starters, I think

on both sides of the ball

Going into the season, Michigan had five returning starters. QB Wilton Speight is done for the year after breaking his back against Purdue, bringing that number down to four. Michigan's top WR going into the year, Tarik Black, is also hurt and out of the lineup.

The only recent team to lose this many starters before a season, Arkansas in 2004, went from 9-4 to 5-6.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Lyon posted:

As a Penn State fan I have to tell you head to head wins and conference championships apparently don't matter to the selection committee so...

It's actually because your school facilitated the rape of children, you pederasty-apologizing, ellipses-using gently caress

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Benne posted:

Notre Dame has something like 6-7 ranked opponents on the schedule. If they beat them all and their only loss is to Georgia they have a legit case, as much as we don't want it to be true.

Lack of a thirteenth data point will be their undoing.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Northwestern's run defense is legit. Unfortunately, the offense.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

It's actually because your school facilitated the rape of children, you pederasty-apologizing, ellipses-using gently caress

No it's definitely because Ohio State brings more money and their one loss was flukey

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

No it's definitely because Ohio State brings more money and their one loss was flukey

If it's a three-way matchup between teams that all went 1-1 against each other, with the one outlier being a game where a team got blown out, the team that got blown out isn't winning any tiebreakers.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

I would just like to let you know a little something about the flordia gators:

they wear jorts and are bad

Mhmm

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

If ND wins out, they'd be a fine candidate for a playoff spot.

Now, if UGA only has 1 loss*, and it's the Dawgs who get passed over for ND, well that's a heapin' helpin' of bullshit. But one with precedent.

* I don't believe this will be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Fake news those are undercover Florida agents tryin to make us look bad

• Locked thread