Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

I love/am baffled by how insane OOTP’s engine is when determining what positions young players play. Lenny played only SS, 1B, and OF this season, is the size of a phone booth, and is listed as a Second Baseman? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Tonya Guitar was drafted 10th and didn't sign, that means I won't be able to find any general stats for her yet, right?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Name: Scott Brosius Again
DOB: 8/15
Height/Weight: 6'1" 200lb
Throws/Bats: R
Position: 3B
Country/City of birth: Milwaukie, OR
Background: College Prospect

Player profile: Brosius grew up in Milwaukie, Oregon, where he attended Rex Putnam High School before going to Linfield College. In 1987, a freak Physics 101 accident opened up a wormhole during a lab, creating an exact duplicate of himself that was sent 30 years forward in time, leaving him bewildered and confused but nonetheless determined to continue his baseball career. Solid hitter, good defender. Very Scott Brosius-like.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Part of me wants to create a player, but the other part of me is curious if anyone would realistically sign a player who's amazing at fielding, but crap at hitting.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Miz Kriss posted:

Part of me wants to create a player, but the other part of me is curious if anyone would realistically sign a player who's amazing at fielding, but crap at hitting.

Pete Kozma, Brian Roberts, Stephen Drew, Adeiny Hechevarria, Andrelton Simmons prior to 2017, etc.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Miz Kriss posted:

You say, with a Javy Baez avatar.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Miz Kriss posted:

You won't know until you submit one!

Mine was submitted as 'okay' at hitting and drat, it's starting to show. Poor Pat Martin is unhappy.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Miz Kriss posted:

Having a lot of experience with OOTP you'd most likely get unrealistically high trade value and overall rating as long as your speed and base running is top tier too. I have to stop myself from taking advantage of the computer with my amazing fielder packages for Mike Trout.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

Miz Kriss posted:

Just make the dude. The career paths of one trick ponies are way more interesting than elite baseball savants.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ambassador of Funk posted:

The career paths of one trick ponies are way more interesting than elite baseball savants.

:agreed:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Alright, I'll think of a bio after work.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Poque posted:

Tonya Guitar was drafted 10th and didn't sign, that means I won't be able to find any general stats for her yet, right?

Right, MLB's first highly drafted female will go into next year's draft.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Ya gotta stop eating at those Gulf shellfish restaurants, Pat! I know you miss home on the east coast but that oil spill is poisoning your career.

Pat Martin
09/26/2018 Injured (Food poisoning), out for 1 day.
Miami (GCL) Marlins: Placed C Pat Martin on the 7-day disabled list.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Out for a week with a case of mudbutt? yup, that's pretty bad

can't wait for the 2019 sim, really need to see if James-World Peace was able to make the jump

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Opening Day: 2019 MLB Season
League Website HERE

Hall of Fame Inductions
Mo Rivera

League news
Clayton Kershaw signs VERY team friendly deal with the loving Cardinals.

Goon player news:

Several goons in preseason top prospects list including Joseph Money (1), Bo Jackson (2), Tempus Liksnart (3), Mike Rotch (5), Marvelous Trent (6), Boon Doggle (7), and Larry Leftball (3).

Couple goons make MLB rosters: Corbett, Dirgler, Jackson.

Check out the offseason moves, preseason predictions (Royals lol), top prospects, and best minor league systems!

note: upload should be complete within the hour

Also: it is really fun trying to write your player descriptions into the game. I'm pretty proud how noted Canadian Gord Doug's scouting report came out: "Teammates often question Doug's dedication because of his lack of outward emotions".

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 7, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh poo poo I didn't realize but in 2018, Moshe was ranked the 86th best prospect in all of baseball. :jewish:

bewbies posted:

League news

Even in the virtual world: gently caress THE CARDINALS

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Kyle Hendricks and Gio Gonzalez are both on the Cubs, and were first and second in NL Pitcher Wins. Also holy poo poo Arrieta is back with the Orioles :lol:

And yeah I think the Royals might be bad.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I just noticed Columbus and San Antonio on the team power rankings page for the Majors, did we get expansion teams?

e: oh we did! Columbus Sluggers and San Antonio Cherokees. Nice job with that second one OOTP.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 7, 2017

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

bewbies posted:

League Website HERE

Hall of Fame Inductions
Mo Rivera

League news

Goon player news:

Several goons in preseason top prospects list including Joseph Money (1), Bo Jackson (2), Tempus Liksnart (3), Mike Rotch (5), Marvelous Trent (6), Boon Doggle (7), and Larry Leftball (3).

Check out the offseason moves, preseason predictions (Royals lol), top prospects, and best minor league systems!

Also: it is really fun trying to write your player descriptions into the game. I'm pretty proud how noted Canadian Gord Doug's scouting report came out: "Teammates often question Doug's dedication because of his lack of outward emotions".

Scouts keep thinking Money's power is going to come around aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany day now. Get Money's status as a blue chip prospect is going to make it all the sweeter when he puts up 15 career WAR over 10 years on 5 different teams, gets paid way more than he's worth, drives forums crazy, and some how picks up two rings in all of it.

Ambassador of Funk fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 7, 2017

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

bewbies posted:

League Website HERE

Hall of Fame Inductions
Mo Rivera

League news

Goon player news:

Phillies' system is so stacked that despite Meachem being the #33 prospect in ball he doesn't even crack their top 5. And hey Marvelous Trent, hope we're sharing the outfield soon!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Even with a pretty bad statline for 2018, Moshe jumps up to 75 on the Top 100 list and the Sox have him listed as "Possibly ready for Double A"! Here's to a breakout 2019!

EDIT: Wait where do you find the top prospects list/the team lists? And where can I find the personality notes?

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 7, 2017

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Jack Worthy currently the #13 prospect in baseball. #2 in the Padres system behind Beer (aren't I always?)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Bike Snout and Boon Doggle getting set to blow up the Appalachian League this year. Hide yo wife hide yo kids.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Is there anywhere to search for specific players on the site?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

rickiep00h posted:

Bike Snout and Boon Doggle getting set to blow up the Appalachian League this year. Hide yo wife hide yo kids.

Boon Doggle is ready lay down fat bunts and steal bags.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

bewbies posted:

My boy may be a disappointment as a baseball player, but he isn't a disappointment to his country. :canada:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
edit - double post

bewbies fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 7, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2019 cohort:

James World-Peace
Jim "Slim" McCrenshawbergssen
Irving Washington
Mike Truk
Town "Fort" Knox
Markel Morgenson
Scott "Again" Brosius

Inspector_666 posted:

EDIT: Wait where do you find the top prospects list/the team lists? And where can I find the personality notes?

Top Prospects for each league is a page link on each league's front page; same for each team.

iospace posted:

Is there anywhere to search for specific players on the site?

I don't think so, which is really stupid. If you're looking for someone and can't find them let me know and I'll post the link.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Thelonious' OPS has steadily declined every season, so I think it's time I made up another prospect.

Name: Abraham Froman
DOB: June 5
Height/Weight: 6'2"/200 lbs
Throws/Bats: L/L
Position: 1B
Country/City of Birth: USA/Des Plaines, IL
Background: High school prospect, Maine North High School

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bewbies posted:

Top Prospects for each league is a page link on each league's front page; same for each team.

Oh hell yeah, Moshe is 75 overall and 4 in the Red Sox org. Still hoping I get traded to literally anybody else, but at least I'm good.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Funny things I dug up:

Chris Sale mega trade to LAA.

Next year's FA class is pretty amazing: Sale, Bumgarner, Altuve (who amusingly did not start a good chunk of last year...the Astros are really loaded) and Boegarts should all be $25-30mm guys.

Shohei Otani is simultaneously the best pitcher and hitter in NPB; I think he'll get posted after this season. It is too bad the game mechanics literally don't allow for a two way player.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Real Francisco Lindor, please follow your video game doppelganger's lead.

quote:

11/03/2018 Signed a 7-year contract extension worth a total of $99,400,000 with the Cleveland Indians organization.

Also Harper won the 2018 NL MVP, putting up 8.6 WAR in only 104 games.

secular woods sex fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 7, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If anyone is interested in playing OOTP 18 themselves, Humble Bundle has a deal where you can get it and two other games for $1.

https://www.humblebundle.com/strategy-sim-bundle

Also get Cities Skylines the best city builder sim in over a decade for only $10 in that same bundle.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
All-Star Break: 2019 MLB Season
League Website HERE

League news
Clayton Kershaw with a mediocre start to his Cardinals career (lol)
Carlos Carrasco, Lance McCullers, CC Sabathia, Stephen Strasburg all with catastrophic arm injuries
How the Astros are not running away with this thing, I do not know
Jorge Soler: All star??
MLB teams drooling over Otani's 1.74 ERA and 154 Ks in 119 IPs
Royals back in their comfort zone

Goon player news:
Several goons go in the first round of the draft: Morgenson (1st overall), McCrenshawbergssen, Fort, Guitar.
Bo Jackson on pace for 40+ HR, with a solid Bo Jackson-like 16:91 BB/K ratio. Makes first goon all star game despite mediocre overall performance (PEOPLE LIKE LONG DINGERS)
Calhoun Slidell with an epic season in high A
Waldo Dirgler with 111 Ks in 95 IP, All Star
Joseph Money and Larry Leftball got the callup early
Hank Meachem with serious shoulder injury
Hanzo Main with some shoulder problems
Wacky Bradley Sr. gets released; picked up by the ROSWELL INVADERS on a 1 year deal worth $880
Karachi Kid still in NPB minor leagues despite being best player on his team
Gord Doug finds a nice spot as closer of the KC T-Bones

game note: for Scott Brosius and Michael Cuddyer clones I just imported their historical player IDs. effort

Upload should be complete within the hour.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 7, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also: for the next draft, for our last fake base ball man I will input ONE (1) historical player. This can be anyone who played an inning of professional baseball at any point, ever (if they're in the database). Want to see how Babe Ruth would hit against black and latino pitchers? Want to see how many strikeouts and hit batsmen Nolan Ryan would have in the modern game? Want to see Bartolo Colon get fat, again? Submit your nominations for a player to LIVE AGAIN!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I nominate Satchel Paige.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Popete posted:

I second that motion.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Popete posted:

This is an excellent suggestion.

I also put forth Eddie Gaedel.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Casnorf posted:

This is an excellent suggestion.

I also put forth Eddie Gaedel.

second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bewbies posted:

game note: for Scott Brosius and Michael Cuddyer clones I just imported their historical player IDs. effort

I wouldn't have it any other way.

• Locked thread