Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Maybe you get to kill the current CEO and take their place.

Hey, another Dark Souls connection! That's kinda how the first game ended, after all.

Does the terrain vary a lot in this game, or is "ruined desert factory" basically the tileset?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For the most part it's varying shades of ruined desert factory, yes, but every level has a different gimmick of some kind that gives it some visual flair. The DLC is its own completely separate visual spectacle as well.

edit: And like I said in the video, a common complaint of the game is that it doesn't have much in the way of signposting and I agree with that, but I also think that's no excuse for getting lost and blaming the game because all you really have to do is pay attention to your surroundings. The levels are big but they're not that big. In the next level we will meet the dreaded orange maintenance tunnels that throw people for a loop and those are imo the least good part of the level design, but they make pretty logical sense layout-wise. One thing I like about the game is that it never cheats distances; every level is exactly as large as it looks while running through it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 28, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Hey, another Dark Souls connection! That's kinda how the first game ended, after all.

Does the terrain vary a lot in this game, or is "ruined desert factory" basically the tileset?

The desert drops away, more of it is factory but there’s other stuff as well.

I disagree with the orange corridors making sense, there are service corridors in two particular later levels that just outright don’t make sense to be there, end in steep drops, etc. I think it’s the biggest crutch of the level design and it’s used in later areas to connect places that just outright don’t make sense to be connected otherwise. In some places it’s ok though, I mostly think it doesn’t work in the levels that are non-factory oriented.

It’s another thing that I think reflects budgetary/time constraints because they absolutely are capable of making levels that make sense without the service corridors, but I think they became the bandaid solution when they started running out of whatever. The DLC much more effectively used them in places it actually makes sense for them to be.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't mean that they make sense in the game world itself, if anything they're probably the most incongruous element of the world design. What I meant is that they're cheap but effective shortcuts that are used to bridge parts of levels and keep loopbacks etc feeling organic. They feel less like tunnels used to get around whole levels quickly and more like short extensions to loopbacks that don't quite line up 1:1. I do think they are a band-ad too though. This loopback didn't line up perfectly, so stick a short maintenance tunnel in there and now it's fine, etc.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Just catching up on this. I really enjoyed the game, moreso than Dark Souls 3 even, until I got to those guys in the second area. If you know, you know. It's a fun game, but I hesitate to think of it as more than a blip on the landscape - a fun blip, since it's great to see a sci-fi-style Souls-type game, but a blip nonetheless.

I was torn about there being a hard limit to how far you can upgrade your gear per area though. On the one hand, I don't grind enemies for stats in Soulsborne games to make myself more powerful than the curve, unless I'm specifically looking for gear or something, so my upgrades tend to be stepped in a way much like they are in the game. On the other hand, that's my choice, and artificially restricting me to a finite power level just chafes.

Also, how much did the devs of this love the movie Elysium?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Your main source of power in The Surge is grasping the combat mechanics and having really quick reactions. Bloodborne was my first taste of how much I really, really wanted Souls-esque combat to go faster and The Surge does the same really well for me.

I actually quite like the lack of a direct stat system since it puts fewer barriers between you and experimenting with or switching weapons depending on the situation.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I was torn about there being a hard limit to how far you can upgrade your gear per area though. On the one hand, I don't grind enemies for stats in Soulsborne games to make myself more powerful than the curve, unless I'm specifically looking for gear or something, so my upgrades tend to be stepped in a way much like they are in the game. On the other hand, that's my choice, and artificially restricting me to a finite power level just chafes.

Is that really any different than gating you to titanite shards/twin shards/chunks in the early levels of the souls games? Right now we're in the titanite shard stage, the next level we'll be in the twin shard stage.

edit: I guess it is a LITTLE different because your core power doesn't boost your damage and therefore there is an actual real cap on the hard number, but the hard cap is higher than the curve already. In practice it has a much larger effect on gameplay than the raw numbers imply by how little they increase per level.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 28, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Just catching up on this. I really enjoyed the game, moreso than Dark Souls 3 even, until I got to those guys in the second area. If you know, you know.

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I look forward to CJacobs showing the One Weird Trick to beating them up, because it really does make them chumps.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I see you skipped the flooded basement, did you just ignore it because the reward is a thing you already have with the numbers shifted around a tiny bit or are you revisiting it later when you do the various locked doors(I never did them as I stopped playing at some point in the next area)?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The latter, and also I didn't want to have to go back to the ops center to refresh my consumables after.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

CJacobs posted:

I actually discuss that in the next episode! But for now I'll just say there's a reason this area is called 'Abandoned Production' and is covered in graffiti and stuff.

Waaait. So you're saying that Warren has actually only been out for a few hours as his lack of starving/dying-of-thirst/decaying-zombiness would suggest, but just out the back of the shiny Creo building that you walked into is this mad max abandoned production hellhole that's been festering away for drat near a decade now? And they still manage to retain their workforce/recruit new staff - surely that sort of thing would drive away both white and blue-colar employees?

[edit]Wait, I just had an idea that almost makes sense. Is it that Warren was only knocked out for a short while, but Creo decided that something was wrong with him/his rig integration/etc. and so dumped him in the abandoned production area that they now use as a massive trash heap, while they go about their evil corporation stuff in their nice shiny new office a mile down the road or something? That seems kind of logically consistent and also fittingly corporate-evil.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 29, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What I don't understand is why the 'abandoned' area is full of living Creo employees (now insane).

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I assume the enemies went Hollow from a malfunctioning brain implant. CREO doesn't seem like the corporation to care for their employees, so they probably just dumped them in their old facility, dusted off their hands, and called it a day.

Like they did with Warren!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The Lone Badger posted:

What I don't understand is why the 'abandoned' area is full of living Creo employees (now insane).

They were decommissioning the area and dismantling the rockets for recycling.

One thing not made terribly clear in the game but more elaborated on in some of the promotional material is that most of the human workers at CREO are largely for show and serve as tax write offs, essentially "diversity hires," because all of the real work is now done by automated robots. So decommissioning Abandoned Production is the perfect kind of pointless busywork they can give the human workers while the robots do all the actual work.

It's strongly implied that canonically there aren't actually as many live humans at CREO as you face in the game, or more accurately the total number is probably equivalent to a perfect no deaths, no reset clear of the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, that's what we're gonna find out in the next episode and what I was implying at the end of the most recent one. The reason Abandoned Production is... y'know, Abandoned, is because CREO used to make the rockets by hand via human interaction, but then they moved on to robotic production lines and so the original production facility fell into disrepair.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I assume the enemies went Hollow from a malfunctioning brain implant. CREO doesn't seem like the corporation to care for their employees, so they probably just dumped them in their old facility, dusted off their hands, and called it a day.

Like they did with Warren!

Or maybe their brain implants are the ones working properly, and Warren was lucky that the malfunctioning autodoc improperly installed his...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MJ12 posted:

Or maybe their brain implants are the ones working properly, and Warren was lucky that the malfunctioning autodoc improperly installed his...

"They look like monsters insane to you?"

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Huh, he has a metal implant in his noggin that wasn't there after installation.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The last shot before he woke up was of a drill going into the back of his skull. Presumably that was for the installation of the backplate to let him control the rig.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not that one, the one on his forehead. We didn't ever see that one get put in, but maybe it was done while he was knocked out.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Where as his other implants took seconds to attach, that particular one takes several minutes. The game skipped the animation so as to not bore the player.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What if I wanted to watch the full process intricately and with dynamic camera angles though!! This has brought my rating of the game down from 25/10 to a staggeringly low 24/10.

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

Mark me up as someone else who watched one video and immediately purchased the game.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Not even sure where I can tell this and having it make sense but here goes. I was walking through a mall complex and there's a grand piano there that anyone can just sit down and play. Someone started playing Clair De Lune and I immediately had a little jolt thinking how menacing the dead post-christmas mall suddenly became.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Scaramouche posted:

Not even sure where I can tell this and having it make sense but here goes. I was walking through a mall complex and there's a grand piano there that anyone can just sit down and play. Someone started playing Clair De Lune and I immediately had a little jolt thinking how menacing the dead post-christmas mall suddenly became.

Better grab a chainsaw sword and hacking off limbs for that sweet armour then, bub.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Scaramouche posted:

Terrifying. Time to start scooping up some brain gel from your fellow shoppers.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Just slap their bags and phones out of their hands with your ten foot metal pole.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think it's an interesting plot point that Warren is the only new applicant showing up at the beginning, everyone else is a conspicuously heavily armed guard.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Dreadwroth posted:

I think it's an interesting plot point that Warren is the only new applicant showing up at the beginning, everyone else is a conspicuously heavily armed guard.

Based on certain audio logs, I'm fairly sure this is more of a budget limitation thing than an intentional plot point, there are explicitly other characters established to have been doing the same thing as Warren (i.e. in surgery) during the time the surge happened.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
An automated workplace would be a pretty Potemkin Village to start with, since robots aren't limited by human anatomy and could work in efficient but inhumane-looking conditions. The purpose of the actual Potemkin Village here is... unclear. But it's a pretty good signifier of just what you stepped in.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Could be that whatever they were actually making the rockets for (CREO is a SciFi megacorp, of course they'll turn out to be evil) is done and, I don't know, they lie about it to get extra Gov. funding? To keep people calm in the face of the planet being hosed up enough for using planetary scale weather manipulation (or whatever it was) to be a good idea? Hell, maybe they just uploaded the minds of all the rich people and sent them to live on servers in orbit or something, and now the poors can all die on Earth. Dystopian SciFi has so many options.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
This thread got me to look up what a Potemkin village is! I learned something today!

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Warren is good at fighting because he is Gwyn's firstborn.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Please address Warren, The Disowned by his full and proper boss fight title in the future.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Warryn, Lord of Wreckage.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The Surge is better than Dark Souls.

There, I said it :colbert:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CJacobs posted:

Please address Warren, The Disowned by his full and proper boss fight title in the future.

Warren, Lord of the Discarded

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Warren, The Disgruntled Worker

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Warvar the Boneless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zanzibar Ham posted: