Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Darth Walrus posted:

Given that she specifically doesn’t name names, what clues in those of us not in the know that she’s talking about Mieville?

Google cache version still has his name in.

e: 4th of July is the date when America freed itself of association with the toxic British, just as Europe will do next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I couldn't get through the whole thing because she writes like a continental philosopher but come on now, being a womanising bastard is hardly on a level with being a rapist. That's not legitimising it, but just kind of saying it would be wrong to throw him in with Weinstein et al. Also I bought my gf his book on the russian revolution for her birthday and both of us thought it was super, so please don't make me hate him internet give me this.

I mean the difference is apparently one of intent rather than effect, so at best the person being written about is clearly an incredibly destructive person whichever way you slice it.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Miftan posted:

Jesus christ, the only thing I get remembered in this thread for is having food opinions and being foreign. I'm like a poor Poncholo.

Now now that's not true at all.

I, for one, also can't help picturing you as Tim Farron.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Not Operator posted:

If it cheers you up any, I have you mentally catalogued as an I/P thread poster who isn't weird realpolitik psychopath. Its a very short list.

Hahaha man that thread is a dumpster fire. I barely even check it anymore. I appreciate it!

Bobstar posted:

mods can I get a name change to Gay Frog Milkman?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

I couldn't get through the whole thing because she writes like a continental philosopher but come on now, being a womanising bastard is hardly on a level with being a rapist. That's not legitimising it, but just kind of saying it would be wrong to throw him in with Weinstein et al. Also I bought my gf his book on the russian revolution for her birthday and both of us thought it was super, so please don't make me hate him internet give me this.

It's probably not very helpful to try and quantify the level of 'badness' between this and what the law defines as sexual assault or rape. It's probably sufficient to say what he's accused of doing hurts people a lot, is clearly morally wrong and displays a breathtaking level of selfishness and misogyny. It certainly comes from the same place as Harvey Weinstein, regardless of your personal view on who is 'worse'.

Wolfsbane posted:

Google cache version still has his name in.

His name is also one of the tags at the bottom of the post.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Darth Walrus posted:

Given that she specifically doesn’t name names, what clues in those of us not in the know that she’s talking about Mieville?

He’s (accidentally?) been left in the tags at the bottom of the page, as well as the cache versions.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

jabby posted:

It's probably not very helpful to try and quantify the level of 'badness' between this and what the law defines as sexual assault or rape. It's probably sufficient to say what he's accused of doing hurts people a lot, is clearly morally wrong and displays a breathtaking level of selfishness and misogyny. It certainly comes from the same place as Harvey Weinstein, regardless of your personal view on who is 'worse'.

I guess that's fair, I've just read a bunch of the guy's political stuff and heard him speak on Chapo and he seemed cool and good. I desperately don't want him to be a bad egg :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If someone who you thought was ideologically correct turns out not to be you can take it as an opportunity to figure out what's deficient in the things they espouse which leaves room for them to be dickheads regardless, and then improve on it in yourself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Everyone is terrible but some people are more terrible than others, also it doesn't mean that you can't enjoy their work, but it can get a bit morally iffy if you're financially supporting them by doing so.

Buying a print of the Old Registry Office in Munich where the proceeds go to anti hate crime groups is not an endorsement of the artist, whereas paying to watch Roman Polanski films might be moreso.

In conclusion :filez: everything.

Bobstar posted:

He does come from a country with strong Biblical opinions about milk.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
Kill your idols

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

He does come from a country with strong Biblical opinions about milk.

The real reason I moved to the UK is that Israel kicked me out when I went vegan.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

OwlFancier posted:

If someone who you thought was ideologically correct turns out not to be you can take it as an opportunity to figure out what's deficient in the things they espouse which leaves room for them to be dickheads regardless, and then improve on it in yourself.

Also, people are perfectly capable of being hypocritical and/or self-serving at a personal level even if they can write out a intellectually coherent argument with good opinions.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Miftan posted:

mods can I get a name change to Gay Frog Milkman?

We need to be careful with these political Avs, I'm fairly sure Cerv is turning into Paxman.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

The real reason I moved to the UK is that Israel kicked me out when I went vegan.
Going Vegan seems like an easy lifehack for the kosher kitchen. No need for separate meat and dairy ovens and dishwashers when you don't eat meat or dairy :rollsafe:

Did the kitchen appliance salesmen arrange for your deportation?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

blowfish posted:

Also, people are perfectly capable of being hypocritical and/or self-serving at a personal level even if they can write out a intellectually coherent argument with good opinions.

Story of my life tbh. Haven't done any sex crimes yet to my knowledge tho.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Going Vegan seems like an easy lifehack for the kosher kitchen. No need for separate meat and dairy ovens and dishwashers when you don't eat meat or dairy :rollsafe:

Did the kitchen appliance salesmen arrange for your deportation?

Probably my army CO, tbh.

ThomasPaine posted:

Haven't done any sex crimes yet to my knowledge tho.

Keep up the good work!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Miftan posted:

Keep up the good work!

Thanks bud, I hear I'm due a medal for 30 years with no rapes soon.

Obviously I'm kidding, but it is worrying how many people seem to seriously believe that they should be applauded for not doing poo poo like this. It's as if they're implicitly saying 'boy I'd love to, I really would, but I'm such a cool guy that actually I won't'

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 1, 2018

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ThomasPaine posted:

I guess that's fair, I've just read a bunch of the guy's political stuff and heard him speak on Chapo and he seemed cool and good. I desperately don't want him to be a bad egg :(

This is perhaps completely unfair and I've been maybe ruined empathy-wise by my current BPD relationship, but it reads exactly like the sort of thing my BPD GF would write, based on the massive emotional distress which comes through it. If it were then at least parts of it would be almost certainly delusional and/or painting things in overly negative light.

But then that's probably just personal experience bias, but a lot of the accusations are close to what I've had levelled at me too (and much other stuff besides).

And no I never did cheat or go out with anyone else or anything such, before anyone asks.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Land of just honey still sounds rather appealing if I'm honest.

ThomasPaine posted:

That's understandable goon buddy! When the accusations towards George Takei came out I was heartbroken, both because I love Trek (But you already know I'm a goon :v:) and because he's espoused an awful lot of pretty good opinions since becoming a social media star.

So yes it was upsetting and it took some time to come to terms with. And that's okay! I didn't take Takei off all my social media feeds immediately, but I got there in the end.

(Also remember Caravaggio straight killed a dude and it doesn't make his art any less incredible or worthy.)

OwlFancier posted:

I mean the difference is apparently one of intent rather than effect, so at best the person being written about is clearly an incredibly destructive person whichever way you slice it.

Yes, it seems to me that the subject of the post is almost exactly the same as a lot of those accused recently of sex crimes, the difference is that he's vastly more competent and subtle so he doesn't 'need' to commit overtly criminal acts to exercise the power he desires. I have no doubt if he were less capable with his words he'd just be blackmailing and threatening women instead. Plus, the scope of the thing plays a role. If I go and pick someone up tonight and exaggerate something about myself, well that's a bit crass but on a one night stand it's not hugely consequential if they think I'm in marginally less debt than I really am. Telling ongoing lies for years and loving with someone's emotions for years as a result is just a wee bit shittier. And even without overt threats a woman on the receiving end of that is likely to very quickly start worrying for her physical safety as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait Takei is evil?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

Wait Takei is evil?

Molested some dude apparently. http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/11/entertainment/george-takei-sexual-misconduct-allegation/index.html

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well bollocks.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

OwlFancier posted:

Well bollocks.

He says its a false allegation made up by Putin and perpetuated by Russian twitter bots, if that somehow helps any?

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

ThomasPaine posted:

Obviously I'm kidding, but it is worrying how many people seem to seriously believe that they should be applauded for not doing poo poo like this. It's as if they're implicitly saying 'boy I'd love to, I really would, but I'm such a cool guy that actually I won't'

I do think guys (and particularly boys) need to be given more help, both preemptively and re-actively. I don't say this to excuse crimes or awful behaviour, rather because guys working it out for themselves in a culture where macho crap is widely applauded is clearly not working and never will work.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Mister Adequate posted:

Land of just honey still sounds rather appealing if I'm honest.

Sorry to break it to you friend but honey is also non-vegan. Welcome to the land of almond milk and agave syrup.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not Operator posted:

He says its a false allegation made up by Putin and perpetuated by Russian twitter bots, if that somehow helps any?

The Nadine Dorries defence doesn't help much I'm afraid.

Is it really that hard not to sexually assault people?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Not Operator posted:

Don't think the fact that Russia conspiracies have become the final fallback position for liberal creepers is helping out much.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Sorry to break it to you friend but honey is also non-vegan. Welcome to the land of almond milk and agave syrup.

Rice milk is the superior non-bovine milk.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ThomasPaine posted:

I couldn't get through the whole thing because she writes like a continental philosopher but come on now, being a womanising bastard is hardly on a level with being a rapist. That's not legitimising it, but just kind of saying it would be wrong to throw him in with Weinstein et al.

Remember the Weinstein thing isn't "one guy did bad things", it's about a culture of power and abuse where the men never faced any consequences for their behaviour, and they were protected by the community - partly through their celebrated public reputations as cool, progressive people. The whole thing was an open secret in the industry, people knew but did nothing and those abusers enjoyed success while anyone speaking out got ostracised

That author talks about similar stuff, even if the predatory behaviour and emotional abuse isn't exactly the same. Most of the article is about how nobody seems to care even though his public persona is a Good and Correct person who's an ally of women, and there are more like him in the industry

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Zalakwe posted:

I do think guys (and particularly boys) need to be given more help, both preemptively and re-actively. I don't say this to excuse crimes or awful behaviour, rather because guys working it out for themselves in a culture where macho crap is widely applauded is clearly not working and never will work.

You're 100% right. Some of the poo poo I believed when I was in school makes me cringe like you wouldn't believe today, and it took me well into my 20s to fully get rid of a lot of that poo poo even when I was actively trying to. The #metoo thing I think has drawn a lot of this into focus and honestly I do sympathise with some of the guys who have been called out but don't see what they did wrong, because sure when I was 19 the idea that consent/sexual assault was more subtle that 'creep hiding in the bushes' or 'violent attack' never crossed my mind - I feel like I was culturally conditioned into believing that unless a woman is literally screaming and shouting 'NO!' then it must be consensual, right? It's poisonous, but the whole macho culture and the concept of chasing (hunting, even) girls contributes directly to it. If you're so persistent that you wear someone down and they sleep with you, that's fine. You win. It's only over the last few years that I've realised that no, that's not ok at all and jesus gently caress what was wrong with me thinking like that? I've had to confront some of these really sketchy attitudes I had that I didn't even realise were problematic for so long, and have a good hard think about how they have influenced my relationships with women. If #metoo and the cultural awakening it creates can force more guys into developing a bit of self-awareness and get them to be more self-critical that would be a great thing, but I think a lot more should be done to incorporate education about this poo poo into sex ed etc.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
The article gives the impression that he's a really lovely person, but it also seems like it might have just been a situation where a sexually and emotionally inexperienced person (she mentions ten years of celibacy or something) got involved with a far more libertinous person for whom sex and relationships are a lot more casual. I'd be a bit hesitant to make moralistic assumptions about people's relationships and how they experience them, and it's possible for a relationship to be lovely without any of the people involved being necessarily culpable for it.

That being said he's probably a massive creeper because loving LOOK at him.

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 1, 2018

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Idolation and hero worship is dumb, and horrid people should be outed for what they are.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Though I think after the fact if your actions have obviously caused your former partner such an enormous amount of distress your response, as a presumed non-lovely person, should be to do some serious self examination. The lack of such certainly does make you a lovely person who is most definitely culpable for all subsequent damage you do as a result of your failure to learn from your previous transgressions.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

OwlFancier posted:

Though I think after the fact if your actions have obviously caused your former partner such an enormous amount of distress your response, as a presumed non-lovely person, should be to do some serious self examination. The lack of such certainly does make you a lovely person who is most definitely culpable for all subsequent damage you do as a result of your failure to learn from your previous transgressions.

Oh absolutely, there's a level of sociopathy at play if your partner is telling you how hurt they are and you snarl back something about it being none of her business where you put your dick (paraphrasing the article).

I dunno, I think I was thrown by the dissonance between the tone of the article and the events it ended up relaying.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

*shrug* My partner is a fragile person so I don't find it at all strange to think that you could cause that sort of damage to someone who trusts you without laying a finger on them. That's part of relationships, you have to take responsibility for things you didn't intend or expect and circumstances that you didn't instigate, because if you don't you're going to end up hurting people. Sometimes you are dealt a rough hand and if you don't sort it out nobody else is going to.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

ThomasPaine posted:

You're 100% right. Some of the poo poo I believed when I was in school makes me cringe like you wouldn't believe today, and it took me well into my 20s to fully get rid of a lot of that poo poo even when I was actively trying to. The #metoo thing I think has drawn a lot of this into focus and honestly I do sympathise with some of the guys who have been called out but don't see what they did wrong, because sure when I was 19 the idea that consent/sexual assault was more subtle that 'creep hiding in the bushes' or 'violent attack' never crossed my mind - I feel like I was culturally conditioned into believing that unless a woman is literally screaming and shouting 'NO!' then it must be consensual, right? It's poisonous, but the whole macho culture and the concept of chasing (hunting, even) girls contributes directly to it. If you're so persistent that you wear someone down and they sleep with you, that's fine. You win. It's only over the last few years that I've realised that no, that's not ok at all and jesus gently caress what was wrong with me thinking like that? I've had to confront some of these really sketchy attitudes I had that I didn't even realise were problematic for so long, and have a good hard think about how they have influenced my relationships with women. If #metoo and the cultural awakening it creates can force more guys into developing a bit of self-awareness and get them to be more self-critical that would be a great thing, but I think a lot more should be done to incorporate education about this poo poo into sex ed etc.

This was honest and well worded and I find myself in a similar situation. The "boys will be boys" bullshit is not just pervasive it's the entire cultural norm.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Got to say I’m failing to be scandalised by the terrible story of China Mieville legally cheating on his girlfriend. Putting this in the same paragraph, let alone breath, as Harvey Weinstein is ridiculous.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh well if it's legal it's obviously fine.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Comrade Fakename posted:

Got to say I’m failing to be scandalised by the terrible story of China Mieville legally cheating on his girlfriend. Putting this in the same paragraph, let alone breath, as Harvey Weinstein is ridiculous.

If a celebrated good-guy leftist is acting like a PUA and preying on women in that community then that's bad. If the community is enabling this then that's also bad

I just read Kraken too :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Oh well if it's legal it's obviously fine.

I mean on the one hand I agree (with what you meant by the sarcasm just to be clear, not the literal words) and what is described is by no means fine, but on the other hand I feel calling cheating rape or sexual abuse/assault cheapens and devalues actual rape, and that is in itself pretty problematic.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 1, 2018

• Locked thread