Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
28 Goals, 92 Points

I know nothing about Soccer scoring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

24 goals, 80 points

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
15 goals after a disappointing mid-season injury. Sorry to jinx it, but you know it's going to happen :)

83 points.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
20 goals, 76 points (the number that won me promotion in my save).

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
16 goals and 67 points

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
14 goals 71 points

ThCawdor
Apr 23, 2010
17 goals, 76 points.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

25 goals, 65 points.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
18 goals, 79 points

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
He's going to break his leg 20 matches in.

9 goals, 75 points.

super taunt
Aug 17, 2008

fierce
roundhouse
HMFF!
23 goals, 80 points!

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
19 Goals, 73 points. (For funsies, guessing 6 assists and 5 yellow cards.)

Edit:

Mukaikubo posted:

19 goals, 74 points. :v:

:argh:

ShadowedFlames fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 17, 2018

sum
Nov 15, 2010

20 goals, 69 "the funny sex number" points

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

21 goals, 66 points

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

17 goals, 67 points

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
19 goals, 74 points. :v:

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
5 Goals, Freakshow Injury, 90 Points.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
18 goals, 59 points.

Wunderkid or no, this is still a team at the bottom of the barrel.

Kingal
May 29, 2013
22 goals 67 points

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
This awesome that you are doing this again. I loved the Wrexham LP.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Let’s go high: 34 goals and 68 points!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
31 goals, 81 points

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

18 Goals, 76 Points.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
22 goals, 73 points

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
24 goals, 74 points

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
23 goals 74 points.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
15 goals, 72 points.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
15 goals, 63 points

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Chapter the Fourth: Tweetstorms
August 19, 2017-October 1, 2017

Actual competitive games! Against opponents that should be about as good as we are! Lets get this show on the road, friendos. But first.

Tactical Overview

We've trained on three specific styles of play, which the team has gotten increasingly comfortable with through our preseason.

4-4-2 Control

The 4-4-2 is the Toyota Corolla of formations. It's simple, it works, and it's looked down upon primarily because it's boring and functional and doesn't use fancy things like wingbacks or trequartistas. It can be used against every type of opponent, and the strength comes from its inherent flexibility. Need to play a quick hitting counterattack game against a slightly superior opponent? Have your wide midfielders get forward on the wing to send in crosses to your strike pair. Need to batten down the hatches against a much better foe? You can drop 8 men into your penalty area and muck things up real nice. Facing a weaker side? Get your wingers forward constantly, and have your fullbacks advance up the field with overlapping or underlapping runs that carve apart the defense so your strikers can find their way into dangerous areas.

Our control formation follows the last of these, and includes playing further up the pitch, chasing opposing players when they get the ball, looking for underlapping runs into open space before the enemy penalty box, and not diving into tackles so that if our efforts at winning possession high up the pitch fails we can still recover and get back down the field to defend. Pestrin and Conti play big roles here, Pestrin breaking up attacks before they can get started, and Conti being responsible for pinging the ball out to the wings or forward to the primary striker Minelli or the deep lying forward Cinque.

4-4-2 Counter

The Counter formation looks very similar in form, but player assignments are changed up. Here, we're playing wider and still trying to get the ball forward into space, but because our defensive line is playing further back we need to use longer passes to get the ball into a good spot for when we win the ball back, catch the other team with too many players forward, and have Minelli and Cinque ready to split the defenders and try to get one on one with the opposing goalkeeper.

4-4-1-1 Defensive

The 4-4-1-1 is for when we're up against it. The main difference is that instead of having a striker merely play a little further back in a deep lying forward role, we use an out and out attacking midfielder to link up whatever attacks we're able to create with the lone striker up top. As a whole we hunker down, absorb pressure, and try to win some points by frustrating the everloving dickens out of our foes on the way to a one-nil upset.

I have no idea what to expect from our first league match. We played about how you'd expect in the preseason, crushing two Croatian minnows while getting a boot in the face from Serie A and Serie B teams. The Titani might entirely live up to their name, or could turn out to be a stunted farce that I have to pull out of an early tailspin.

I've been to weddings with more attendees...

For some reason the U20 and U18 coaches hadn't been scheduling friendlies of their own, so our players haven't worked their way into playing shape. That's also a function of being a semi-pro team, when your day job is sitting at a desk all day crafting #BarillaPastaMemes you're not going to stay in shape the way you would spending all your time at the training field.

The semi-pro nature of the club also means less time for the players to see each other and get comfortable playing together.

vs Vis Pesaro, August 19, 2017
Serie D, Group F

Vis Pesaro are tabbed for promotion by whatever degenerates set betting lines on semi-professional soccer matches. If we can win against them we not only get our season off on the right foot, but deal our rivals an early blow.

Starting Formation: 4-4-2 Counter
Starting 11: Micale, Di Dio, Mattia, Di Maio, Caldore, Ceccarelli, Pestrin (c), Conti, Carnicelli, Cinque, Minelli
Subs: Fall, Vannucci, Fantini, Bisoli, Bugaro, Nappello, Zuppardo

Well, I was worrying for no reason. I had to play this match twice as apparently there's a bug that crashes to desktop when you try to upload highlights. So you guys don't get to see Minelli's two goals and Cinque's finisher from our three-nil victory. You also don't get to see the replay, where this time Cinque scored two goals to Minelli's one, and then we almost collapsed at the end when Vis Pesaro scored twice.

If we'd lost this game with that shot map, I would have been very, very disappointed.

San Marino 3-2 Vis Pesaro

Signora Maggio and Signore Filipazzo both make true statements. Signore Cavaliere can stuff it.

Oh, it's already starting. Young players flock to me like I'm the dang pied piper. Except I'm not a murderous monster from Grimms Fairytales, just a monster that will use their friendship to ensure they're underpaid for as long as possible on unfair contracts.

: (expansively) I want you to look at me as a father figure, Federico.

: (non-plussedly) Uh...

: (rear end-coveringly) I meant, as a parental figure. I'm still figuring out the language, yes?

That's unforunate. I send him to our club physician. Team doctor is a new position I have no control over, nor can I see what their stats are, but he appears to be more competent than our physiotherapists.

He'll be fine for next game.

Oh, right, I put a loan offer out for this kid last month. He has sweet glasses, boatloads of pace, and gives us another right back so we're not caught out if Alessandro Di Dio gets hurt or turns out to be a very poor signing.

:toot:

Now that he's signed to a professional contract hopefully he drops out of school and spends more time training. I'm not very happy with his lack of improvement thus far.

None of these kids are first teamers, but Vannucci is getting time with the senior squad so we'll be missing him on the bench.

Di Maio will be fiiiine.

at Agnonese, August 26, 2017
Serie D, Group F

Agnonese are plumped for relegation. If our first match versus Vis Pesaro was any indication of our true talent, we should give them a stropping. Vannucci is getting his debut at left fullback as I want to tire him out before the idiots running the national team get him killed playing a meaningless match against England or something.

Starting Formation: 4-4-2 Control
Starting 11: Micale, Vanzetta, Mattia, Di Maio, Vannucci, Ceccarelli, Pestrin (c), Conti, Carnicelli, Cinque, Minelli
Subs: Fall, Di Dio, Fantini, Bisoli, Bugaro, Nappello, Zuppardo

Federico Minelli scores a beaut of a volley from a great Vanzetta cross in the fifth minute, and it's all Titani, all day. Ceccarellli makes it two-nil before the half, and Minelli nets his second in the 51st minute. There are some clouds in the sky, though, Lorenzo Cinque has to come off with a groin injury in the 62nd minute.

Only two of the Agnonese shots came from dangerous positions, while we could easily have scored more than three. And Minelli isn't just scoring, he's accurate, with five of his six attempts from open play on target.

Agnonese 0-3 San Marino

Davide Bisoli is 20 years old and our current heir apparent to Manolo Pestrin in the midfield. He's still got a long, long way to go before he can really take that job over, but his Work Rate of 15 will allow him to make the most of his talents.

Signore Costagliola apparently hates joy.

Crud. That leaves us with Zuppardo as our second striker, and he's much more suited to play out wide.

Signora Barbagallo is a fatalist, apparently.

I realize that we're located in a microstate of 33,000 people, but really? That's it?

Oh geez, how will we ever handle not being able to sign players who currently have a job. (Free agents can still be signed and play for us).

(Like this dude).

I was startled by the tiny numbers here, but FM has all the correct transfers already pre-loaded into the game, so Neymar is in Paris and Romelu Lukaku is in Manchester. Also, I totally thought that was Romelu Lukaku for a moment, and not his brother.

The march of time halts for no man.

Pestrin, for example, is watching his already mediocre physical stats plummet. This is likely his last year if we win promotion.

Our kids are on the other end of the aging curve, and I especially like Ceccoli's mental improvement.

vs Vastese, September 2, 2017
Serie D, Group F

Vastese are expected to be a lower half of the table club, and we're at home. I feel pretty good about this one after our first two matches.

Starting 11: Micale, Vanzetta, Mattia, Di Maio, Caldore, Ceccarelli, Pestrin (c), Conti, Carnicelli, Zuppardo, Minelli
Subs: Fall, Di Dio, Fantini, Bisoli, Bugaro, Nappello, Zeqiri

Federico Minelli is a flippin marvel. He scores ten minutes before and after the half, and we never look like losing. He's not perfect, though. When we get a late penalty shout, Minelli can't put it on target to complete his first professional hat-trick.

That shot map tells it all. Vastese didn't get a single shot off from a dangerous spot, while we had six or seven.

San Marino 2-0 Vastese

I expected Minelli to be really good from the jump, but I didn't expect five goals in three games and a 75% shot on target rate. Now I'm concerned that he'll get full of himself and start slacking off, hurting his development, or that the league won't challenge him enough and that will hurt his development.

: (deafeningly) I AM NEVER GOING TO LOSE. ALSO, BITE ME, SIGNORE SEGATTA.

The Czech's are not exactly known as a footballing power. And while this was happening the Sammarinese Under 18s were losing to Gibraltar. They still probably have a better shot than the US of winning a World Cup someday.

You better be happy with how I'm managing.

We are going to be so broke at the end of the year.

Now we get to do this all over again at the start of November. If Minelli were Sammarinese we'd be in serious trouble.

See? He's been totally fiiiiiine.

at Matelica, September 9, 2017
Serie D, Group F

Matelica are sitting in fourth right now and are favorites. For the first time I'm going to break out our counter tactic, and try to surprise the home crowd.

Starting Formation: 4-4-2 Counter
Starting 11: Micale, Di Dio, Mattia, Di Maio, Caldore, Ceccarelli, Pestrin (c), Conti, Carnicelli, Zuppardo, Minelli
Subs: Fall, Vanzetta, Fantini, Bisoli, Bugaro, Nappello, Zeqiri

The match is hard fought all day long, and throughout the whole thing Gianluca Micale looks bored. That's not good when he's being called on to make saves, but our defense holds throughout the match and we largely hold Matellica to long range, low probability shots. Seconds before the first half whistle blows Ceccarelli sends in an excellent cross that finds the waiting head of Zuppardo, who puts his effort on goal only to be deflected by the keeper. The rebound falls right to Minellis waiting feet, and we have the only goal of the game.

You can probably figure out that I told the players to shoot on sight at one point in the match, from all of those shots taken way out somewhere in the orbit of Jupiter.

Matelica 0-1 San Marino

Yeah, I think I got overenthused about our hot start, we're not so good that we're going to blow everyone off the pitch.

This version of Football Manager has definitely stepped up the number of minor, nagging injuries players can pick up. I like it, but then I'm the type of person who likes installing Skyrim mods that make you eat at least 2,000 calories of food per game day.

I'm glad you signed with us, but you took your sweet time while we played two matches down a striker.

: (wheedlingly) See, Manolo? It's not that hard to help out your teammates.

(PESTRIN puts on his NOISE CANCELLING HEADPHONES)

: (Forgetting that she's younger than Pestrin-ly) Don't put your headphones on when I'm talking to you, young man!

We'll make you Sammarinese proper English football fans yet.

: You said he'd be fine!

: No, I said there wasn't as much risk. Plus, what type of insane drills were you overseeing on the practice field?

:: Look, I'm learning by doing. How was I supposed to know that spin class keepie uppie was a bad idea? Now, give me a moment to talk to Roberto alone.

:: Don't put weight on your sprained knee, you oaf!

Signore Ferrero is a fatalist as well, it seems.

: Okay, I get it. No more hot yoga shuttle drills, either.

You're telling me, Signore Grassi. (I think the ingame tweets are my favorite new thing, and y'all should start tweeting about the team.)

Yes, let's see if we can't do something about that.

: (Disappointedly) Shucks. You're one cheap devil.

: (Pesteringly) you called?

:&: (Simultaneously) NO.

They'll be fiiiiiine.

at Monticelli, September 16, 2017
Serie D, Group F

Monticelli are not good. They've won once all season and sit near the bottom of the league table. We're away, and we're missing both Ceccarelli and Di Maio, but we should be winning this easily. I say as much to the boys before the game, I don't want them getting sloppy out there.

Starting 11: Micale, Di Dio, Mattia, Fantini, Caldore, Nappello, Pestrin (c), Conti, Carnicelli, Cognigni, Minelli
Subs: Fall, Vannucci, Fantini, Bisoli, Bugaro, Nappello, Zuppardo

Monticelli don't seem to realize they're supposed to lose to us. They score on the counter in the 12th minute, and for the rest of the match we're chasing them around the pitch to no real success. A second goal in the 55th minute not only doubles the number of goals we've surrendered all season but leaves us deep in the hole. And then they bury us when Alessandro Conti nudges their midfielder at the very edge of the box and gets called for a penalty. I tell the kids to get stuck in after that, but all I accomplish is earning us three yellow cards in quick succession.

They took their chances with composure and we screwed around and blew it. Their only clear cut chance was the penalty, which was soft but legit.

Monticelli 3-0 San Marino

: (Hesitatingly) Do you want to see the social media reports from the game now, Signora?

: (Unfairly) Do you want to still have a job tomorrow?

: (Concernedly) Si, Signora?

: (Childishly) Then no, I don't want to see the social media reports.

Good lord, someone set up a MASH unit in the shadow of Mount Titano for all our casualties.

: You know I don't place that much faith in your recommendations, but please give me a comprehensive report so I can decide if I want to add yet another loan player to the club. Because from what you've just said to me, this kid is delectable.

Fantini and Cognigni will be in the starting lineup, naturally.

Good for you, Mario! Especially since we're only paying you €600 a month. Please tell me you're not going hungry to pay for this.

vs Recanatese, September 23, 2017
Serie D, Group F

Recanatese are bottomscrapers, and I want to bounce back quickly from our first loss. I'm stern with the players before the match, demanding that they show me something else after last weeks debacle.

Starting 11: Micale, Vanzetta, Mattia, Fantini, Caldore, Nappello, Pestrin, Conti, Carnicelli, Cognigni, Minelli
Subs: Fall, Vannucci, Bisoli, Bugaro, Errico, Cinque

The Titani want to avenge their Monticelli mortification. We are imperious throughout the entire first half, and our poor sacrificial vicitms don't even take a shot until the 53rd minute. By that point we're up one-nil thanks to Minelli converting a penalty earned by Cognigni on a jump ball in the first half. The scoreline flatters the visitors at the end of the match, we should have won by much more.

I want the next Football Manager iteration to include xG (eXpected Goals) totals, damnit. This match would be like 3.2-0.3

San Marino 1-0 Recanatese

If you can't appreciate dominance, maybe you should watch something else, Signore Faelli. :colbert:

Eh, he's definitely cooled off the last few games. I'm worried about his form.

At least the club supporters are happy despite the stumble against Monticelli.

I'm not sure why our 4-4-1-1 tactic is so far behind the 4-4-2 in preparation. We haven't used the formation in a match yet, but we've certainly played with a defensive mentality enough times. Heck, when we go up by two goals in the second half I have a standing order to switch towards a more defensive posture.

This time Cinque joins Fantini in the starting 11 despite still having the ouchies.

at Fabriano Cerreto, September 30, 2017
Serie D, Group F

We're facing a club in 15th place that hasn't won in their last four games. We may be away from home, but we should still be winning this. We'll need to if we want to assure our grasp on first place as September ends.

Starting 11: Micale, Caldore, Mattia, Fantini, Vanzetta, Di Dio, Pestrin (c), Bisoli, Carnicelli, Cinque, Minelli
Subs: Fall, Vannucci, Conti, Errico, Bugaro, Nappello, Cognigni

Like Monticelli before them, Fabriano Cerreto come out ready to play, and immediately discomfit our players. We're entirely unable to retain posesstion, and before twenty minutes are up we're lucky that they haven't scored. I switch us over to a counter attacking style at that point, but their pressure never relents. Despite a couple of breakaways that could have been goals if we'd been luckier, including one by Minelli at the death which went into the side netting, we're still incredibly fortunate that they spurn so many easy chances. Escaping with a nil-nil draw shouldn't feel like such an accomplishment.

For some reason the shot map is missing two of our efforts, but it doesn't change things much. They spent way too much time near our goal for comfort.

Fabriano Cerreto 0-0 San Marino

There were 188 people at the game, dude. I highly doubt you were there to see someone taking a nap because the match was so boring. #FakeNews.

:: Cazzo!

Our wobble in form aside, this is a fantastic start to the season. We're tied on points for the league lead, even after playing more matches away than at home. Minelli may only have a single penalty from the last three matches, but he's still at seven through seven games and way beyond my highest hopes. So long as Ceccarelli and Di Maio return in good condition I might be making a push for the title come the new year.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I think I made my prediction too low :smug:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
@HabeasDorkus San Marino is off to an explosive start!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Let me know what y'all think should be in the end of match data dump, I realize 3-4 stat heavy images at a time can make you go crosseyed.

You're gonna have to deal with all the tweets until I get bored of the conceit, though, I find them hilarious.

ETA: Also, the prediction contest is still open until the next update gets published. If you're like Frozen Flame and were completely wrong because you doubted Lil' Feddy, you're allowed to update. Just post a new prediction and note that you're revising.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 17, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Why haven't you gone ahead and made @ScottBrown (@ScottBrownFootballCoach) yet?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Still learning Italian.

sstrickl
Feb 16, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

Still learning Italian.

Then https://www.duolingo.com/ScottBrownFootballCoach?

Robotic Folksinger
Jun 27, 2008

I guess a robot would have to be crazy to wanna be a folksinger
How easy is it to mod in new tweets in the game?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Excellent, another Scott Brown project to manipulate from the shadows :unsmigghh:

Can't wait to observe your latest ascension, senorita.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

C. Everett Koop posted:

Excellent, another Scott Brown project to manipulate from the shadows :unsmigghh:

Can't wait to observe your latest ascension, senorita.

Signorina. We're in Italy, not Spain.

e: well, geographically and linguistically, if not politically.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I see that someone taped my goalkeeper training regimen and uploaded it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

habeasdorkus posted:

ETA: Also, the prediction contest is still open until the next update gets published. If you're like Frozen Flame and were completely wrong because you doubted Lil' Feddy, you're allowed to update. Just post a new prediction and note that you're revising.

Well if you insist, Editing because Feddy didn't go and snap his leg in his first match to 28 Goals/90 Points.