Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Be sure to stop before you run out of gas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

This is harder than I was expecting after the beta, the first teleporter activation is owning me. The way the robots drone on about really basic stuff is kind of sending me to sleep too

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

StabMasterArson posted:

This is harder than I was expecting after the beta, the first teleporter activation is owning me. The way the robots drone on about really basic stuff is kind of sending me to sleep too

Fences and Molotovs make it really easy, thankfully.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

StabMasterArson posted:

The teleporter can take faaaar more punishment than your punk rear end so build defenses but if they break let the zombies swipe at the teleporter. If it gets damaged enough t some point it will probably emit a shockwave that will kill a lot of zombies too so it's nowhere near as hard as it seems.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

lets hang out posted:

Watch your stamina though

Did you know that Being Dehydrated Will Affect Your Physical Abilities?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I'm enjoying it so far. It's a lot harder than the Beta made it seem, which I don't mind. Lots of backstabs are the order of the day. The thing that strikes me the most is that being in the Dust makes the game feel almost like Subnautica. Light comes in filtered heavily through the mist as if it were water, the wanderers come off like nightmarish angler fish, and occasionally you hear rumblings of some super predator from beyond where you can see. Catching a glimpse does not inspire confidence.

The atmosphere is contributing heavily to my wanting to sneak around. It doesn't make me feel too eager to go full rambo on everything when it feels like I'm at crush depth. Losing your map position is a mean but neat little trick too. Thank god you always have a compass.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

If you stand on one of the roads marked on your map your position marker and waypoint temporarily show back up so you can reorient yourself. It's neat!

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

widespread posted:

Be sure to stop before you run out of gas

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Seems like the animals at the first watering hole respawn when you quit out and restart the game. I haven't tested it properly, but they were there when I started playing again and other people are backing it up so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The blue hunting locations seem to respawn every couple of missions though, since I got to the helicopter crash mission and a couple of the ones I cleared out earlier suddenly reappeared.

Also, I tried using molotovs and fences around the wormhole generator and it worked like a charm. The fact that the wanderers have a tendency to swarm works against them when you set them on fire and put a barricade in their way. It looks like it catches from other enemies as well, which is good. I don't doubt it'll be obsolete before long, but starting off, it's a solid strategy if you're likely to be facing a ton of the bastards at once.

The sheep and two water sources near the base stop spawning after a certain point so I think they are there to help in the beginning

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
For a game with survive in the name, I laugh seeing people complain about starvation happening too fast.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It happens too fast for how much available food there is. There's a deficit between how fast it drains and your available supplies, at least in the early parts of the game.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I wish the thirst and hunger drained about 20% slower, but if it was slower I don't know if it would be rewarding when you can eventually make food that lowers your thirst and hunger drain. The scarcity of resources early on makes progress really satisfying.

Also don't skip the story stuff, it starts getting pretty interesting. Honest!

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

CJacobs posted:

It happens too fast for how much available food there is. There's a deficit between how fast it drains and your available supplies, at least in the early parts of the game.

There are plenty of supplies available, it's just that the game doesn't show you where they are. And when it eventually does through side quests, plenty of people don't realize the food respawns, and they don't mark it on their map.

And after not too long the game unfortunately does the same thing that all of these survival games do, and makes it so food/water isn't a factor anymore.

Still, I've had quite a few runs where I was panicking, way too far out in the nowhere after trying to sequence break, without any idea if I'd manage to bring my loot back to base or die and lose it all, and the game has definitely been worth it for those sorts of experiences.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I wish the thirst and hunger drained about 20% slower, but if it was slower I don't know if it would be rewarding when you can eventually make food that lowers your thirst and hunger drain. The scarcity of resources early on makes progress really satisfying.

Also don't skip the story stuff, it starts getting pretty interesting. Honest!

Do they follow up on the possible Gruen vs Goodluck plotline or once Gruen takes command, Goodluck's just not gonna contact you anymore?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

widespread posted:

Do they follow up on the possible Gruen vs Goodluck plotline or once Gruen takes command, Goodluck's just not gonna contact you anymore?

There's followup just after you get your wormhole digger

Guys the story is.. good? Also protip: On single player base defense missions, hanging out near the spawn zones is a pretty great idea. Was trying a mission in the story where it seemed impossible until I realized I could kill the big tough guys as soon as they spawn to avoid their bullshit.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Man this game owns but I must have lost hours of progress due to being kicked out for having my internet go down for a second. Such a terrible idea

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

PringleCreamEgg posted:

There's followup just after you get your wormhole digger

Guys the story is.. good? Also protip: On single player base defense missions, hanging out near the spawn zones is a pretty great idea. Was trying a mission in the story where it seemed impossible until I realized I could kill the big tough guys as soon as they spawn to avoid their bullshit.

Right but like Gruen's contact after the wormhole digger's first fire is what I was more referring to. He starts to mention Goodluck went over his superiors' heads and got the boot. Then reconfigures the priority to getting you home most importantly. I'm asking if after Gruen's first contact if the whole plotline is followed up on.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

widespread posted:

Right but like Gruen's contact after the wormhole digger's first fire is what I was more referring to. He starts to mention Goodluck went over his superiors' heads and got the boot. Then reconfigures the priority to getting you home most importantly. I'm asking if after Gruen's first contact if the whole plotline is followed up on.

You hear more from Goodluck, don't worry

Also got into a match with some level 40 dude with purple equipment, he owned and apparently if you walk up to people after a match there's a fist bump prompt. We did the Snake and Otacon thing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What was the point of having a digger defense in that tiny oil storage that leaks in my pond?

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Scalding Coffee posted:

What was the point of having a digger defense in that tiny oil storage that leaks in my pond?

gotta get that energy + those boxes

man, I was expecting this game to be garbage based on the announcement trailer but it’s been really fun so far (~10hrs in)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man, this game really does not make a good first impression. I wish it opened much more strongly (and, uh, open-ended-ly?) because I can see the fun buried in here but it's only letting me get at it very very slowly.

edit: Like, my first post in the thread was about how fun it is. I'm really really enjoying it! But boy are there some changes I'd make to the early game to make it less restrictive in an instant.

Here's a short-ish list of the stuff I really think should be changed that is within the realm of possibility:

1. Please let me shut up mombot and dadbot. Please for the love of god
2. Make hunger/thirst drain just a little slower
3. Make clean water craftable from the start of the game what is wrong with you
4. Refill 0kg/low-weight items from the storehouse to my inventory automatically when I return to base so that I don't have to go into a menu and do it
5. Make self-placed markers auto-remove when you walk over them like they did in 5, I don't know why they changed that
6. Force hunger/thirst to stop draining while the idroid is open. There is no reason why they should drain when I'm literally just standing there paused. Listening to archive tapes is a pain in the rear end

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 23, 2018

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
the hunger/thirst drain is fine. one of the things the game doesn't explain to you is that if you hit 100% in hunger/thirst, it slows down the drain to zero for a really long period of time. usually lasting until I teleport back to base and that's after multiple oxygen refills.

so fill up and stop worrying about starving

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You are not paused when the iDroid is open. You have plenty of time to go around surviving while listening to the tapes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game is very inconsistent about which menus (besides the actual pause menu) do or don't pause your hunger/thirst. Either all of them should or none of them should.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Also got into a match with some level 40 dude with purple equipment, he owned and apparently if you walk up to people after a match there's a fist bump prompt. We did the Snake and Otacon thing.

You pissed all over yourself?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

It would seem stuff in the world has a hard 24-hour respawn timer. I cleaned out the shacks near Basecamp, and the little pond area this time yesterday, and it just respawned.

As did the Crystal Flowers and stuff.

Edit: Actually, it looks like -everything- has repopulated regardless of when I looted it. Daily reset time?

iGestalt fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 23, 2018

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

The fist bump is one of the default emotes, under the communicate menu

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Quicksilver6 posted:

The fist bump is one of the default emotes, under the communicate menu
There's several different Fist Bump variations you can buy.

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy
I was curious about trying out this game, but then was reading up on reviews and came across this: https://wccftech.com/metal-gear-survive-charging-save-slot/

Are they really charging $10 for an extra slot?! I know there used to be limitations on games, hardware, etc. but this just seems really overly cash grabby :smith: ... in addition to the usual ones (cosmetics, xp boosters, etc.).

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's dumb but you can do and get everything with a single character and you can change your appearance whenever you want, the only things you can't change are your name and gender, so it doesn't really seem like it should be a big deal for most people

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

The problem is everyone keeps calling it a save slot when it's really a character slot. But 10bux is loving stupid no matter how you look at it.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It's basically like buying an alt, something MMOs have been doing for years (which isn't cool either, especially in what's primarily positioned as a one-player game with co-op, but that's a discussion for another day). But the initial story positioned it as actual save slots and it all got blown out of proportion.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Multiplayer is really good for items / resources.

Just did 3 missions - very little effort, gained 4 levels, multiple weapons and cool hats and stuff. Def recommend it to augment singleplayer. Surprised they can't better integrated..

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So this type of game is appealing to be despite the boring enemy designs. Most of the YT talking heads seems to hate it but regular users seem to think it's pretty good.

Is it an issue with a very bad early game or something?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Inzombiac posted:

So this type of game is appealing to be despite the boring enemy designs. Most of the YT talking heads seems to hate it but regular users seem to think it's pretty good.

The early game is quite punishing but gets easier the longer you play to an extent.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

The early game is kind of a drag, yeah. That and the NPCs are seemingly permanently stuck in tutorial mode so they constantly harp on you about simple poo poo. All the things a reviewer loves to encounter when they don't have much time to write a review!

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Having seen some of the late game (I think? They were in co-op) enemies, I don't think I'd call them "boring" - but I do think the early game is quite slow and tutorialized which turn people off.

It gets weird, and confusing and quite open quick enough, though. It's not a great game, but it is fun!

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah the start is really slow (I'm 6 hours in and I still can't make fresh water) and also I suspect that outside of multiplayer shenanigans it's just not a very good youtube/streaming game, it's very brown and grey and the moment to moment probably isn't very exciting to watch. Being lost in the Dust is personally tense but I bet it doesn't translate well to a viewing experience.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Inzombiac posted:

The intro of the game is slow enough to give a Persona game a run for its money and it gives a really bad first impression. The constant babysitting by the AI is easily enough to take it down a couple of notches in anyone's estimation (we're talking Navi levels of irritating), and it's going to be a long time before you feel even remotely comfortable about going on an extended journey because of a lack of supplies, primarily food and water. I will say that, amazingly, while there is weapon degradation, this may be the first game where it's never bothered me enough to be an issue: I've only had to repair my O2 tank on the regular, and that's because refilling it with kuban causes it to degrade. Other than that, I've been crafting new weapons so frequently, it's almost never been an issue.

I can see this being a game that critics despise (Jim Sterling just put a video up today gleefully admitting he played it for about 3 hours, then uninstalled it hashtag FucKonami) but players will think is close to a diamond in the rough. If future patches tackle some of the issues CJacobs mentioned up there, it'd be a solid game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I'm honestly surprised equipment wear is as slow as it is given the food/water situation.

Also I was surprised you could get a silencer for the crappy starter gun pretty much immediately. I assumed you'd have to stick with the bow for stealth ranged attacks, but I guess not. And the silencer doesn't wear out!

• Locked thread