Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah those are the perks i settled on a month ago. I do like zipline speed but there's just not the space for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
The only class you can reliably use Zipline Speed is on a Gunner anyways, in which case I think you can take off maybe Faster Revive or Resupply because you can throw a Shield Gen to get ammo/someone up. I just swap out Far Flares for it on the G-man but I think if you didn't want to sacrafice that you might be ok without the faster resupply presuming you always have at least 1 shield ready.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Fast resupply with iron will though. I'll try slow revive

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

isndl posted:

Where the drop pod lands is more dependent on map length I think, because a Mission Length 3 usually has it around the midpoint in my experience. But the overall intention seems to target the pod at around 100-150m away pretty consistently.

Actually, now I wonder if it's also dependent on the Hazard Level as well. Maybe higher difficulties have longer escape runs by design.

It's supposed to be designed so that wherever it lands you can make it to the pod within 5 minutes. So a complex 1 map is usually the start point since you can make a quick sprint to it, while on a 3 it's closer to the center. This does lead to some drop pods that will spawn about 60 meters away just because it didn't generate a good layout for a side room in point extraction. Or in mid air

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Higher complexity maps can confuse the mule so much so that it will run the clock out and be nowhere near the drop pods. The pod will open up in the last ten seconds to prevent mission failure so there's some leeway for engineers or gunners to work around bad angles in the terrain.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Well, I pulled the trigger. I grabbed a 5k credit bonus on load up as well, apparently. Anything I should spend that on right away, or is it all situational to how I play, or what?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Buy a santa hat.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Grab whatever upgrades for your favorite class don't cost matierals. If you don't have a favorite class yet, don't worry, just grab them for whatever class you're playing

Materials are a much bigger limitation than credits, it won't be long before you have more credits than you'll need

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the canon ending of deep rock galactic

https://i.imgur.com/0JH7ajA.mp4

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Ugh retirements now 19k credits and 150 of 3 different resources. The good news is that once i get the engineer weapons i'll have unlocked and upgraded all weapons!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This game is a blast. Buy it.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

ninjewtsu posted:

Grab whatever upgrades for your favorite class don't cost matierals. If you don't have a favorite class yet, don't worry, just grab them for whatever class you're playing

Materials are a much bigger limitation than credits, it won't be long before you have more credits than you'll need

Why don't you just buy the materials with credits?

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
Oh hey I need materials. I guess I'll just buy them with credits.

Oh hey, I need credits. Maybe if I just sell some materials.

Oh hey...

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Which of the alternate weapons are good?

I was pretty disappointed with the Engineer SMG, but the Gunner's Auto Cannon was a blast

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The engineers new weapons are pretty much the only ones that aren't just a straight up upgrade. The scout's rifle/SMG's are loving amazing and leave the AR/shotty in the dust. The autocannon/burst pistol are super OP compared to chaingun/revolver. The driller kinda gets the short stick with the cryo cannon being good but not by a huge margin where the charged pistol is hands down better than the other pistol.

Hopefully there's a design pass on the older weapons because some of them are super lackluster and need a niche.

- The chaingun needs way more sustain since the AC beats it in every department
- The drillers pistol needs way more ammo and perhaps a full auto setting
- The scouts shotty is just inferior in every way compared to the SMG's and will never synergize with a mobile scout
- Flame thrower needs a range increase with a wider cone to compete with the cryo cannons amazing stun

What they should have done is made it so you can choose secondaries so you could really tweak your builds.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Arghy posted:

The engineers new weapons are pretty much the only ones that aren't just a straight up upgrade. The scout's rifle/SMG's are loving amazing and leave the AR/shotty in the dust. The autocannon/burst pistol are super OP compared to chaingun/revolver. The driller kinda gets the short stick with the cryo cannon being good but not by a huge margin where the charged pistol is hands down better than the other pistol.

Hopefully there's a design pass on the older weapons because some of them are super lackluster and need a niche.

- The chaingun needs way more sustain since the AC beats it in every department
- The drillers pistol needs way more ammo and perhaps a full auto setting
- The scouts shotty is just inferior in every way compared to the SMG's and will never synergize with a mobile scout
- Flame thrower needs a range increase with a wider cone to compete with the cryo cannons amazing stun

What they should have done is made it so you can choose secondaries so you could really tweak your builds.

Would it completely break the game if you could pick any weapons for your 2 loadout slots?

Like, if you wanted you could run Chaingun and AC? But that would completely take away your quick firing options.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I was thinking more secondaries rather than primaries so you'd have a choice of dual SMGs/sawed off/pistol/charged pistol/revolver/burst pistol/grenade launcher. You'd have to completely rebalance things though considering the burst and charged pistols are better in every way to the normal pistol but the SMG/shotty/revolver/nade launcher all have really good trade offs for a secondary. Really though the sawed off shotgun and drillers pistol are just the 2 problem children that need to be rebalanced--adding a second pistol so you're dual wielding would fix it nicely while still being unique. The sawed off is hard because its the inaccuracy and 2 round capacity that makes it worthless, it is space though so maybe a rotating 4-6 barrel assembly that allows you to quickly put out more damage than any other weapon with explosive ammo to deal with swarmers.

I'd love to see the AR get an under barrel attachment also that just used a chunk of ammo like the charged pistol.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Arghy you're insane
The cryo is amazing . The engie weapons are the biggest upgrades of the cast. Its the scout that doesn't really gain anything in my experience. The burst pistol is also slightly worse than the magnum in my opinion.

None of the new weapons are bad. The worse among them are merely as good as their other option.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The flamer needs its fast ignition back as standard because direct damage for ammo cost is total garbage no matter how it's specced. Afterburn was the primary damage dealer of driller and to get the slightly better afterburn relative to the old flamer, the rest of the gun is underpowered. All of the final tier upgrades are anaemic and/or don't work.

The driller pistol needs higher default ammo so that it can either do high hitscan damage on weakpoints which the plasma pistol can't do, or have so much ammo you can afford to magdump on burning enemies because shooting burning enemies is a waste of ammo when you can kite them to death.

Scout sawnoff is fine conceptually, it's like arghy didn't play much DRG pre-weapon patch. The garand + sawnoff is a viable haz 4 combo, as is AR + dualies. Grappeling behind a praetorian or spitballer and shooting it in the back is a two shot kill, it's good versus mactera spawn but not bombers and now can damage a whole wave of warriors with bullet pen.

The issue is that the dualies have significantly higher damage per capacity, almost one and a half times over, not to mention inherently fast reloads. I'd reduce their magazine capacity to lower damage per magazine and to trigger the sanic speed buff more often since going so fast you can bunny hop across a giant cave is extremely fun.

The sawnoff could use better (effective) gimmicks and higher damage efficiency, perhaps an upgrade tier that has choice between a shotgun choke that improves accuracy like garand focus and a duckbill that increases pellet damage but shoots in a straight horizontal line. It gained the least over its original baseline, even though it's not outright worst like the subata pistol or scout AR, those guns at least try to do something new.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 3, 2019

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I used the flamer extensively before and after the new weapons since back in the day a good driller was the difference between making it to the drop pod or getting lost cause molly went through a supply pod hole. The flamer properly specced is really good in certain situations but the hardest part is knowing what your hitting and what your missing since the feedback is really lovely. The cryo cannon is much easier to use because its beam is really easy to see and freeze + shatter is much better than the flamers burn + explode.

The cryo cannon is better is most situations since its got more ammo and better reach but its not insanely better since you can easily make the flamer work if you know what you're doing. Once i've finished retiring my driller i'll play him some more and test if the explosion can be triggered from burning because the burn can be spread from creature to creature if they touch each other. Ideally they should tweak the flamer to have much more range than the cryo and a big area effect burn where it hits the ground instead of this tiny little point flame poo poo.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The flamer explode only works on direct damage. The sfx when it happens is obscured by fire, the AoE and damage aren't significant, the chance is too low for the effect it has. It doesn't massively outdamage burn ticks when it has to if it's ostensibly supposed to compete with cryo gun instagib proc. It's a waste of ammo to get it to work.
It's undermined by having to buy back fast ignition on direct damage and afterburn which happened by default with the old gun, starting with nerfed sticky napalm does not even begin to compensate the loss in everything else; magazine size, capacity, reload. Projectile speed could go up, range I couldn't care about.

The flamer has to aim at the ground, the cryo does not (but benefits from it all the same); the latter freezes faster than the former burns and can carry more ammo without sacrificing freezing power when the former can't afford the same.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Welp well i was basing most of my praise of the flamer off its burn effect causing explosions--thats really lovely and definitely gimps a very important class thats kinda underwhelming to play anyhow. I think giving the digger dual pistols with a bigger ammo cap would make it compete with the plasma pistol. Turning the flame thrower into basically a shorter ranged grenade launcher would fix it, make the impact point a large AE burn explosion.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The problem with the plasma pistol is that it beats the flame/cryo at their own jobs. It has 2/15 mods for its regular firing. Why does he need to slot two aoe weapons?

Its why I think the scout set up is awkward. Its more burst damage vs sustained damage for him imo. So the shotgun compares to the m1, but it doesn't swap with it.
I like the shotgun more, but the uzis more than the assault

Long range vs short range matter but that isn't really as much a concern for the guy zipping around. Its the driller and the engineer that care about that.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Xae posted:

Which of the alternate weapons are good?

I was pretty disappointed with the Engineer SMG, but the Gunner's Auto Cannon was a blast

The short of it is that every gun is good enough in a role, if you can recognize the role and spec for it. Some of them are more sidegrade than others though.

I found the Engineer SMG pretty alright once I specced for full crits, otherwise it's just another overwhelmingly generic bullet hose. The Breach Cutter I didn't like until I swapped out mods and got used to the weird crosshair offset.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Fans posted:

Why don't you just buy the materials with credits?

i have more credits than i will ever need to spend on upgrading stuff

materials, however, come at a very high credits price, so i don't have that many credits

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I spent roughly 800k credits on upgrades and 8k mineral to upgrade my guns, 50k was probably spent on mineral trade alone. I was stuck a while in the salt mines Jadiz and Croppa pits.

Finding out what works and doesn't was expensive.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I think the smg crits are a pointless gimmick. An efficient bullet hose feels really good. But that's obviously a taste thing.
The breach cutter needs the ammo upgrade. Getting more than double the shots of the launcher is what makes it better

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How’s the turret overcharge shotgun upgrade? Is it worth taking over the fire rate + full auto?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

You spend a shotgun shell for the turret to launch an energy blast for 10 ammo that can miss and doesn't seem to do a lot of damage.
In my limited experience with it the upgrade was turbo garbage

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I think the smg crits are a pointless gimmick. An efficient bullet hose feels really good. But that's obviously a taste thing.
The breach cutter needs the ammo upgrade. Getting more than double the shots of the launcher is what makes it better

The lightning crit stuns and adds a small DoT. The capstone turns that crit into AoE crowd control and combines pretty well with your other tools (melee for vampiric regen, more time for sustained turret DPS). Also much better for handling swarmlings when your turrets aren't up.

One other important part about using the Breach Cutter is learning the angles to two-shot the Praetorians, you start getting a lot more mileage out of it once you do.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

You can one shot pretorians if you get them in the mouth. It counts weakpoint damage it seems. Might need one damage uprade.

I subscribe to the classic if they dead they controlled. The smg can just blast swarmers instead of trying to get a 30% crit with a 25% chance to spread.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I've built the engineer both ways, spec for Electricute % and Arc, and for pure damage/clip. The latter is just way superior.

So like if you do spec the former, at most you have a 30% chance to electrocute and a whopping 7.5% chance to electrocute and arc. That's not great odds for the latter. The DOT is nice but takes awhile and you kinda just want them dead but yes you can strategically pickaxe them. The microstun is ok but not great either. Overall it would be perfectly fine but the issue is the arc-jumping is actually quite small radius. If it was generous, then yeah I think it'd be OK. it just takes a bullet to pop a swarmer anyways tho.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Thinking about it one of my complaints with the current weapon balance is that the weapons gimmicks don't function baseline. So we have the zap smg that's better to not zap with and the flamethrower that just doesn't work much at all. The autocannon rising attack speed is also irrelevant the big strength of that gun is no wind up time. The accuracy upgrades also feel overwhelmingly important

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Digirat posted:

How’s the turret overcharge shotgun upgrade? Is it worth taking over the fire rate + full auto?

It's okay when it's shooting at a target in a group of enemies or veteran warriors, it's more damage to more enemies than it would do normally. You will still run out of turret ammo first. I don't use the full auto upgrade because it's best to mix in pickaxe swings for ammo economy. On that note, the shotgun is more efficient than the SMG now after the damage buff.

The breach cutter can one shot multiple praetorians with a single shot, it's does better damage vs spitballers and you can shoot through terrain to free people from leeches. It's great on point extraction where you encounter all three. The explosion mods are pretty mediocre, the double line for better coverage is a lock-in for me.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I prefer the instant expand for when a gaggle of vets are in my face, but the length increase is legit.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, where's the best place to link up with you other goons and play some coop? Also, is there a recommended beginer's guide for each class or something? I find i run out of ammo way too quickly and seem to be very squishy in the first few missions.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
If I am off fiddling around alone, the flamer is probably preferable because, at worst, I can fire at the ground ahead of me while fleeing. With friends I feel like I have to step in front of everyone to make my potent short range matter. With the cryo, freezing enemies my team is firing at anyway looks like it has firmer results. Hordes just stop and people are already focus firing them already, and they soak less bullets in the process. I personally run at an ammo surplus with the cyro by comparison. I know the flamer is supposed to set the ground on fire, but I still feel like this isn't.. really.. doing as much as it could be.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

So, where's the best place to link up with you other goons and play some coop? Also, is there a recommended beginer's guide for each class or something? I find i run out of ammo way too quickly and seem to be very squishy in the first few missions.

Ammo is the one concern in this game I'd say. You'll get better at that with upgraded weapons and practice. Just keep in mind that attrition is the primary threat. Well that and exploder surprise.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
If you go too slow you won’t find enough Nitre and start running out of bullets. Little bit of hustle is always good play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah on elimination finding Nitra is priority one. There isn't much extra but dreadnaughts are bullet sponges. Compared to point extraction where youre drowning in the stuff.