Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've used Jesse Streeter before, see how his fees compare

https://jessestreeter.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Croooober appears to be endorsed by upgarage as their worldwide broker and Jesse wants to skim 10% off the purchase price so he's not cheaper.

Guess I'll go with croober!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Laserface posted:

Croooober appears to be endorsed by upgarage as their worldwide broker and Jesse wants to skim 10% off the purchase price so he's not cheaper.

Friend bought a set of weirdly sized and impossible to get anywhere else 5x114.3 Watanabes from Croooooooooooober and there was no issue with the service at all.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah it seems legit although all said and done the wheels I found would cost near as much as a set of TE37s after duties and shipping and at that point you may as well buy the TEs since they seem to hold resale value better than anything else.

I'm gonna sleep on it and maybe go check out the bronze wheels again. At least they are in stock so if I decide to buy them the guy won't be Pissed I spent an hour staring at them next to my car.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My guy got his swatches from here... https://www.prismaticpowders.com he had 6/7 delivered and has settled on luxury bronze

Cheers for the link, will come in useful :)

Sgt Fox posted:

It is really hard to photograph but here is what I sprayed:

Awesome name too: Fiat 750 Marron Volciano Bronze

This is actually the 750F I originally mentioned. I've only seen pictures of it in the shade where it has that much darker colour... the shade it turns in the light is exactly what I'm looking for. I guess I'll try it out, thanks!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Laserface posted:

Nice!

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Laserface posted:

if upgarage has what you are after they will generally always be cheaper via croober, streeter is good if you are chasing random poo poo and you don’t know where to start

used both and both are legit (it helps having friends who know Jesse)

What’s the tax on te’s these days?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ended up finding a set of what I wanted on yahoo auctions second hand with minimal scuffs which, if I get for the minimum bid, will be $900+ cheaper than the upgarage set (which are NIB old stock, discontinued)

If it goes to my max bid it's only $200 saving but if it gets to that point Im happy spending $200 more for brand new ones.

Jesse was quick to reply and helpful with the customs questions too.

TE37s new via an aus official distributor are $3550 a set for 18x9.5 +22 in bronze. Used sets are 3k for "used, new condition in box no tyres" to "used with a full 360 degrees of gutter rash on each wheel and no tyres"

Basically any Volks wheel is commanding $2900 at a minimum for bronze.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Crooobers shipping price is ridiculous if you live in europe, for some bits it still works out cheaper. Like I ordered a bride seat rail for half of what it would cost here, but the shipping costs were pretty much the same as what I paid for the seat rails. God knows how much it would cost to get a set of wheels over.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Jesse quoted higher for dhl than croooober did but at the same time he is over quoting on size/weight and refunds the difference.

He also sends the wheels as 2 pairs rather than 1 package so it stays under the $1000 package value threshold, avoid paying import duty and customs so it saves you more in the long run.

Still, Jesse vs crooober for the same item he was more expensive. If you can handle the wait for sea shipping which croooober don't offer, you'll be further ahead again.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I saw a 3 series BMW the other day with a set of carbon revolution wheels on it. I'm going to assume they work for the company because I can't see 15k wheels on a 60k automatic sedan being worth the investment.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
well in america thats usually exactly what bmw stands for anyway

e: are there passable fakes going around these days? even those would be insanely priced. it'd be funny to see wheels getting wrapped like honda hoods

Thief fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 23, 2019

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

This is in Australia so at least there's a chance they work for Carbon Revolution. It was mostly the spoke pattern & reasonably flat design that I noticed first , then the centre caps and carbon fibre as I got nearer.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Welp, I won the auction for the minimum bid, so these will be on their way to me soon :)

SSR type Fs. They resemble the OEM wheels pretty close, so it'll be a subtle change, just adding some concave and some width to fill out the guards.

Glad I didn't immediately jump on the Gramlights that were available locally, as they didn't look that good on another identical car I saw them on.

Now to resist the urge to trawl yahoo auctions for more cheap wheels...

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

:allears:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sick but not $3500 sick...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
$2.5k USD isn't THAT bad for a set of wheels like that (not that I could imagine spending that much :lol: )

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You can tell that guy is over valuing them just by the description. They're new, that's all that the buyer needs to know. Anything else is justifying a price that's probably a little too high.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the stickers and valve stems are easy to find new or reproductions of, and barrels/bolts can be made to suit anyway.

literally the only thing of any real value is the Disk of the wheel because they dont produce them any more.

Its definitely a thing that people seem to think 'never had tyres on them/never bolted to a car' somehow adds value.

they're still second hand items you're selling and it doesnt command some kind of premium just because you say so.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Laserface posted:

the stickers and valve stems are easy to find new or reproductions of, and barrels/bolts can be made to suit anyway.

literally the only thing of any real value is the Disk of the wheel because they dont produce them any more.

Its definitely a thing that people seem to think 'never had tyres on them/never bolted to a car' somehow adds value.

they're still second hand items you're selling and it doesnt command some kind of premium just because you say so.

I don't really know much at all about wheels, none of my cars have anything good on them i just know that i really love how that wheel looks. when you say the Disk is the only thing they dont produce any more, you mean the actual face of the wheel with the spokes and stud holes right? Does that mean that if I find a set in a 15" diameter that is the wrong offset or width i can just swap barrels?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yes, but it is not cheap either way

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

A pair of Halibrand ....... err, ornaments?

https://www.racingjunk.com/Antique-Classic-Wheels/183147249/Halibrand-.html?category_id=1401&np_offset=0

TwoogBuk LLC fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 29, 2019

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

I don't really know much at all about wheels, none of my cars have anything good on them i just know that i really love how that wheel looks. when you say the Disk is the only thing they dont produce any more, you mean the actual face of the wheel with the spokes and stud holes right? Does that mean that if I find a set in a 15" diameter that is the wrong offset or width i can just swap barrels?

3 piece wheels consist of the Disk (face) and inner/outer barrels.

Barrels are not exactly unique or specific to a wheel and can be made by most any wheel repair shop (such as Barrel Bros. in Sydney). the original SSR barrels would not be too dissimilar from something made by a repair shop.

and yeah, you can replace barrels to change the offset to exactly what you need. it isnt cheap, as mentioned.

I dont think they made those wheels in 15" but I dont really pay much attention to vintage Japanese wheels because all of my vehicles are 5-stud and need 17s at a minimum.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

It seems likely they're real considering his other sale is a race car. But I do live in the area if you were considering getting them and could possibly pop by and have a look.

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

um excuse me posted:

It seems likely they're real considering his other sale is a race car. But I do live in the area if you were considering getting them and could possibly pop by and have a look.

I'm good thanks. I wasn't doubting the authenticity, just the usability.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Well that's for anyone to say. I've bought some rough stuff. I've mentioned this before but when I buy wheels I get them at a price point where there is enough meat on the bones to get them refurbished and sell at a profit if I have to. As long as they haven't cracked (cracks can be repaired, but I consider them trash at that point), they can be repaired at a cost. Usually around $150-200 per so they have to be expensive to be worth it.

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

One man's trash .......

I sold [had] something similar 6 months ago. I wasn't able to identify a maker, and I gave it (1 of) away with a set of alloys that I sold.

I'm starting to think I should have kept it until I found this forum. This is the only pic I have of it now. It was a magnesium insert in a steel barrel.

Any ideas what it is? Sorry, I know it's a lovely photo.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
American Racing Torq Thrust D? It's really hard to pick up any subtle details from that photo that might identify it for certain.

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

um excuse me posted:

It's really hard to pick up any subtle details from that photo that might identify it for certain.

I figured as much. Cheers anyway. I buy and sell wheels now and then, it would probably be profitable for me to actually learn some poo poo.

I think I'll keep lurking here and edumacate myself some.

TwoogBuk LLC fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 29, 2019

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

I figured as much. Cheers anyway. I buy and sell wheels now and then, it would probably be profitable for me to actually learn some poo poo.

I think I'll keep lurking here and edumacate myself some.

Funny that you bring this up now, because 10 minutes ago I was looking on craigs and found a very similar one, and he only has one, that the seller is calling a "magster."

Everything this style looks like a torq thrust to me, though :shobon:

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

Cool. I can see a few differences between the two. I guess it doesn't matter what I had now. Unless the fella who got it is reading?

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I've got a set of Citroen Speedlines I'm refurbishing, I'm trying to decide which style goes better with the car, which is the same model/colour as the ones in the pictures. Which looks better to you guys?

Earlier all-silver:

or gunmetal with a polished lip:

I was originally planning on the second style but the first is beginning to grow on me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Grakkus posted:

I've got a set of Citroen Speedlines I'm refurbishing, I'm trying to decide which style goes better with the car, which is the same model/colour as the ones in the pictures. Which looks better to you guys?

Earlier all-silver:

or gunmetal with a polished lip:

I was originally planning on the second style but the first is beginning to grow on me.

Although it's a pain to keep clean, have you considered industrial white? Lean into that space shuttle/1970s sci-fi aesthetic.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Although it's a pain to keep clean, have you considered industrial white? Lean into that space shuttle/1970s sci-fi aesthetic.

Way ahead of you on that one!

Looking for a different aesthetic for my second one :)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I got my wheels fitted today. unfortunately still waiting for hub rings, they were a very odd size which meant I couldnt buy anything locally.

Before:

After:

tyres are a bit too small (245/35/18 on a 18x9.5), but I only got them a few months ago so Im not about to drop more cash on 265s just so they look slightly better.

next step is a 1" drop and getting the rear guards rolled.

Im happy with the result though. 1 week turn around from Jesse Streeter sending them to fitted on the car.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Offset looks ideal but be careful with the tires. They may run at 265. I ran a similar looking set up on my WRX and the rears rubbed. Looks great though!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Grakkus posted:

Way ahead of you on that one!

Looking for a different aesthetic for my second one :)

Industrial white, but with Effex-style glitter coat.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Can anyone identify the mfg and model of these wheels? They're 18x8.5 supposedly off an Audi but with a dual bolt pattern that also matches Volvo. The guy who posted the pic is not responding to his thread. They look like a Ferrari style copy. I tried a wide variety of GIS searches with no matches.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's none of the popular brands. I just went through vivid racings catalog and nothing there. I looked up every 5 point double spoke I could find and nothing there either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

So they're probably a super lovely knockoff brand or a high end boutique brand, either way I'm likely not finding them available or in my price range. Which is sad because I really, really like the pattern and I think it'd go great on my R.