Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fiddler on the Reef posted:

yeah this is definitely it and is what makes the YT phenomena so unhealthy. unreciprocated friendship and a hollow substitute for actual community. it’s no wonder youth antidepressant use and suicide rate is way up.

I honestly wonder how much of it is because of helicopter parents who won't let their kids go outside. That was part of why I got all internet...a lot of the time I wasn't allowed out much but I had an internet connection!

I've read that not letting kids out and tightly regimenting their lives is becoming increasingly common but they all have cell phones and computers now and the kid will shut up and stay out of your hair when watching that you toobz thing they all like so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Bath Tubs posted:

Wait he cheated on his wife? I thought it was the other way around

when your fanbase is 100% racist teenagers, admitting you got cucked would be career suicide

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I honestly wonder how much of it is because of helicopter parents who won't let their kids go outside. That was part of why I got all internet...a lot of the time I wasn't allowed out much but I had an internet connection!

I've read that not letting kids out and tightly regimenting their lives is becoming increasingly common but they all have cell phones and computers now and the kid will shut up and stay out of your hair when watching that you toobz thing they all like so whatever.

at least in the educated and affluent corners there’s a reverse trend because new parents know how f’ed up it made the current generation. (source: I’m an educated and affluent parent).

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

at least in the educated and affluent corners there’s a reverse trend because new parents know how f’ed up it made the current generation. (source: I’m an educated and affluent parent).

nice humblebrag

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

ferroque posted:

This is why lowtax stopped doing LPs.
Nah, it's because it stopped being fun. I do that poo poo to have fun, not to make a stupid career on YouTube with it.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

little munchkin posted:

it was a good idea. he got shitloads of press and managed to pull in tons of viewers/subscribers. he actually figured out a way to take a vacation, something most streamers are too afraid to do because of a complete lack of "job" security

sucessful streamers/tubers are extremely calculating, they know their life is basically a reality show and there's no way this was meant to be an actual apology.
The only thing that I will comment on regarding "kids these days" is that every year that passes, the less and less perception of "shame" there is. I mean, honestly, as a culture and society, shame is getting outlawed. You cannot pass judgement or say anything negative about anybody no matter how hosed up they are; somebody will defend them. There is no sense of shame, everything is about money. It doesn't matter what you do or how you do it, if you're popular on social media, throngs of idiots will stand up for you no matter what. gently caress principles, gently caress believing in things, gently caress anything that won't help your social media profile and followers grow.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
What I'm saying here is that I want an infinity gauntlet for internet users, and immediately kill half of them. Then get another one, and another, and another. I'll put the last one on my dick.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lowtax posted:

19 is not a young person, it's an adult. You're 18, you can make your own financial and career decisions? You're an adult.

If you can't get shitfaced at a baseball game you aren't truly an adult. That's a scientific fact proved by Alberto Einstein himself.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Who What Now posted:

If you can't get shitfaced at a baseball game you aren't truly an adult. That's a scientific fact proved by Alberto Einstein himself.

gently caress that racist, 18 is an adult

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I'm thinking of the Youtuber's mental health, and well, it's a very amusing way to spend time

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lowtax posted:

gently caress that racist, 18 is an adult

He invented nukes and he's a ghost. Do you really want to anger someone with ghost nukes?!

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Lowtax posted:

The only thing that I will comment on regarding "kids these days" is that every year that passes, the less and less perception of "shame" there is. I mean, honestly, as a culture and society, shame is getting outlawed. You cannot pass judgement or say anything negative about anybody no matter how hosed up they are; somebody will defend them. There is no sense of shame, everything is about money. It doesn't matter what you do or how you do it, if you're popular on social media, throngs of idiots will stand up for you no matter what. gently caress principles, gently caress believing in things, gently caress anything that won't help your social media profile and followers grow.

Everyone used to bitch a country mile about reality TV but at least that had a barrier to entry and could only hurt so many people, like you either had to be in one of a handful of hosed up families or be one of the 500 people chosen that year to be sent to an island or dropped in front of a fake doctor to talk about your weight-related deep vein thrombosis. Now everyone can spend way too much time oversharing about every aspect of their terrible lives, and everything is equally valid so you can't tell someone that maybe he shouldn't build his entire self-concept around a children's TV show or you'll be in the poo poo with the Children's TV Show Gang and the social media sites that want to just smooth things over so they can continue mining your viewing and purchasing habits for crypto

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Terrific Accident posted:

Slightly unrelated because Twitch instead of Youtube, but DrDisrespect decided it would be a good idea to admit to everyone on his stream that he had cheated on his wife and publicly apologize for it. A lot of these youtubers and streamers think of themselves as the product and have an unhealthy relationship with their audiences that I'll never understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhTmrVj4YjA

Was funny when someone joined the same server as him with the name "Dr.disrespectmywife" or something then fragged him in-game.

When it comes to unhealthy relationships with their toxic audience ice poseidon probably comes out at the top. I mean yeah sure he's making god knows how much money, but I don't think I'd want to trade lives with the guy. Not worth it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Who What Now posted:

if thats the case I became an adult at 8 years old

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CharlestonJew posted:

if thats the case I became an adult at 8 years old

Legally

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lowtax posted:

I was actually thinking about that walking home from lunch today. I call it cultural narcissism. We're a society that increasingly admires sociopathy and thinks that malignant narcissism is cool and good. Appearance is all that matters.

Then again the internet is fickle as hell. If your appearance is ever outside of the approved opinions at all it will destroy you. No wonder they're stressed. The internet might collectively declare you an unperson for any reason at all. Every negative comment might be a one off thing or it might be the start of an avalanche of life ruining hate.

But then there are whole classes of people you can't even disagree with without gatting accused of being a shamer or oppressor. The creation of hug box echo chambers caused that I think as once you're in you have a group that will tell you that you're perfect so long as you stay within the approved opinions and all always have your back even if you're horribly wrong. It's no longer about sticking up for what you believe in it's just petty tribalism.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ginette Reno posted:

it's really weird and stupid how knee jerk a response it is to look at something younger people are doing and just immediately dislike it because it's different from your own experience.

it's not something I understood when I was younger but now that I'm feeling those same knee jerk responses about stuff younger people do it's weird because when I was younger I would have never thought I'd be that way. And I try not to be now, but it's still hard sometimes.

i was a teenager when tunak, end of the world, red and blue, etc etc came out on youtube. i thought it was trash then and i think youtube is trash now

it's not a case of kids these days, it's a case of youtube and its ilk is a garbage fire but unlike a train wreck it's not even interesting to look at

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

little munchkin posted:

nice humblebrag

:smug:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

EXT - JAKE'S HOUSE - AFTERNOON (1995)

JAKE HERBERT

So you're telling me the world isn't getting worse? I've seen kids today all in black, wearing makeup, poo poo on their faces. Everything is sex. Clinton!

DET. MARTIN HART

You know, throughout history, I bet every old man probably said the same thing. And old men die, and the world keeps spinnin'.

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

y’all keep saying that this is just the older generation looking down on the new but rates of teenage suicide and depression are higher than they’ve ever been so you’ve got to admit that *something* has changed. I’m not saying that YT is literally killing our children but I do think social media is playing at least some roll in it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

y’all keep saying that this is just the older generation looking down on the new but rates of teenage suicide and depression are higher than they’ve ever been so you’ve got to admit that *something* has changed. I’m not saying that YT is literally killing our children but I do think social media is playing at least some roll in it.

People who use more social media have higher rates of depression, anxiety, isolation, addiction, and suicide than those who use less so yeah. Something is happening.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
LA Beast is completely broken but I still love him.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

There's a youtube streamer I like quite a bit who does sim racing. Couple weeks ago he crashed his virtual car during an endurance event, became extremely emotional, and wandered off camera for 30 minutes while mods and viewers assured him everything would be ok and that they still loved him. People who made fun on him were summarily executed and he returned to apologize to everyone for his performance and how much the support of the community means to him when driving his cars made out of pixels. I went back through his youtube video history and yeeeep there's a video detailing his extremely hosed up mental state and near suicidal tendencies

Who is this ? I have empty box and some British guy who does VR nurburgring laps.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I think about Rich Evans regularly, OP

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Makeup Haley (f u auto correct)

NAKEY JAKEY is a pretty decent YouTube videogame guy. He doesn't seem to do everything for likes, instead he's just kinda chill and sits on a beach ball and talks about why a game is cool.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

jonathan posted:

Who is this ? I have empty box and some British guy who does VR nurburgring laps.

Jimmy Broadbent, who is probably the British guy you're talking about.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

being a youtuber/twitch streamer seems unironically hard. not the hardest job, and if you're even moderately successful at it you can make some pretty serious cash, but I can see it getting out of hand and too difficult to manage for a lot of people who get swept up in it.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Verisimilidude posted:

being a youtuber/twitch streamer seems unironically hard. not the hardest job, and if you're even moderately successful at it you can make some pretty serious cash, but I can see it getting out of hand and too difficult to manage for a lot of people who get swept up in it.

The big one is when trolls demonetize videos by reporting them, then the personality has a poo poo fit where they lash out angrily in a live video and piss off people who hadn't had a problem with them, who then go on to report and demonitize other videos and the cycle repeats endlessly.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

LA Beast is completely broken but I still love him.

He's STILL doing it. From his parents' house. Like, dude, he's still alive.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
People being tortured don't scream as loud as those youtubers who stream themselves playing horror video games scream.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

like look at the kind of people who get into making youtube videos or being twitch streamers. it seems like you can take a sample of those types of people and inevitably a large percentage of them would have anxiety disorders, depression, and all sorts of mental problems

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

jonathan posted:

Makeup Haley (f u auto correct)

NAKEY JAKEY is a pretty decent YouTube videogame guy. He doesn't seem to do everything for likes, instead he's just kinda chill and sits on a beach ball and talks about why a game is cool.

Nakey Jakey makes awesome videos and loving atrocious hip hop music

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

He's STILL doing it. From his parents' house. Like, dude, he's still alive.

Lol I know I still watch them, its loving brutal man

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Lowtax posted:

What I'm saying here is that I want an infinity gauntlet for internet users, and immediately kill half of them. Then get another one, and another, and another. I'll put the last one on my dick.

If you always kill half, you'll never be done. Simple math.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Work can be stressful and repetitive? What the ever-loving goddamn gently caress???? Nobody told me about that at career day!

99% of Youtubers could die off in a mass internet-extinction event (later to be called "Mom and dad kicked me out") and the internet would be way better for it.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

the only thing i have to worry about on my youtube channel is whether i cqn afford the latest nike shoe and running out of piss

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

yeah this is definitely it and is what makes the YT phenomena so unhealthy. unreciprocated friendship and a hollow substitute for actual community. it’s no wonder youth antidepressant use and suicide rate is way up.

This is what it is 100%. The youtuber/streamer and their other commenters/watchers are a surrogate community.

You can tell from the language people use while watching. Bring up any stream on twitch with a decent following (but not so big it's constant spam/memes). People will pop in there and just say hi to each other and ask how they are doing. And not just streamer to viewer, but viewer to viewer as well. If it's a kind of game with a long campaign, people will catch part of it, have to go, then come back and ask how our campaign is going. Not the streamer's campaign. Our campaign. They identify the streamer and their fellow chat members as their social community, because they have no other.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Times like these make me happy we have the GBS youtube thumbnail thread.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jimmy Broadbent, who is probably the British guy you're talking about.

That's him. And wow he seems like a stable car enthusiast from the videos I've seen.

I feel like these days, the best content is from people making videos just because it's an interesting project or subject. Anything monetised is online cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Sean Evans is a national treasure and Hot Ones makes me really happy when I watch it. I pretty much just watch his show and usually some mini painting tutorials and all those guys seem like well adjusted not broke brain people.

• Locked thread