Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

im playing unavowed. cool v:tm type setting so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
yeah this game owns.

stayed up until 1am blasting through some of the puzzles, looking forward to some of the new mechanics

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Pardot posted:

how is activity measured?

number of times you link between nodes + number of times you execute a kill instruction

kinda random, but it does do the job of pushing you in a different way from what the cycles and size metrics do.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
there are tooltips if you hover somewhere. activity is incremented by each link and kill operation. i think abstractly you can imagine it as network impact.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i adore this game so far

Unknown Network 1 is the first time i've willingly made two solutions, a naive one that works all the time (BFS for any tree) and a bespoke DFS solution that's pretty tops

e: here's the bespoke if anyone thinks they can squeeze a few more cycles out of this
code:
COPY 4 T
MARK REPLLEFT
LINK 800
MARK TIMEYET
SUBI T 1 T
FJMP GRABTIME
REPL REPLRIGHT
JUMP REPLLEFT
MARK GRABTIME
KILL
GRAB 276
LINK -1
LINK -1
LINK -1
LINK -1
HALT
MARK REPLRIGHT
LINK 801
JUMP TIMEYET

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
dude that friends list is hell of bare it's no use going up against the histograms it's all about smacking down actual ppl

here's my profile put something yospos in the request https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197977504666/

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

awww there's a 1M cycle limit. I wanted to brute force tec exa-blaster™ modem by trying all the possible numbers and going to lunch or something for a few hours

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

dude that friends list is hell of bare it's no use going up against the histograms it's all about smacking down actual ppl

here's my profile put something yospos in the request https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197977504666/

sent, also people can add me with my username to make themselves feel better about their solutions

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im very sad that the RAND function doesnt seem to work because it was the only graceful way of solving "unknown network 1"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
uc berkely has broken me

*had

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 12, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

echinopsis posted:

im very sad that the RAND function doesnt seem to work because it was the only graceful way of solving "unknown network 1"

I still haven't had a call to use RAND

Unknown Network 1 i ended up doing 2 solutions for, one was a basic naive BFS that could handle any (host format) binary tree. Then for my optimized unrolled brute force solution I saw that in every test run the file was in a leaf node host so i switched to a blunt DFS algo and got good scores

id post them but I gather you're through that one anyway

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i dont know code lingo so no idea what BFS is

i wanted to use rand like

RAND 800 801 X
LINK X

and just send as many out as necessary to find the file on that particular run. woud have worked too

but do post if you can be bothered. am i super interested in how else these things can be done

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

echinopsis posted:

i dont know code lingo so no idea what BFS is

i wanted to use rand like

RAND 800 801 X
LINK X

and just send as many out as necessary to find the file on that particular run. woud have worked too

but do post if you can be bothered. am i super interested in how else these things can be done

Breadth-first and depth-first search, generic tree-searching methods

I'll just post both, hang on

(edit) i posted the dfs solution I have above so here's the bfs (naive) solution that sucks but is generic????

code:
LINK 800
COPY 3 T
MARK STARTREPL
COPY 800 X
REPL MOVE
COPY 801 X
REPL MOVE
MARK STARTGRAB
KILL
GRAB 276
SUBI 4 T T
MARK RETURNLOOP
LINK -1
SUBI T 1 T
TJMP RETURNLOOP
HALT
MARK MOVE
LINK X
SUBI T 1 T
FJMP STARTGRAB
JUMP STARTREPL

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
man how am i supposed to indicate the end of a datastream instead of infinitely pausing from copy m
Reading through to see how long the file is then transmitting length first is slow.

there has to be a better way!

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Bhodi posted:

man how am i supposed to indicate the end of a datastream instead of infinitely pausing from copy m
Reading through to see how long the file is then transmitting length first is slow.

TEST MRD and make sure it never tries to copy m while there is nothing to read (until the end)?

and my crappy unknown network 1 solution:
code:
JUMP START
MARK END
KILL
KILL
GRAB 276
LINK -1
LINK -1
LINK -1
LINK -1
HALT

MARK START
LINK 800
MARK XL
REPL EXA800
REPL EXA801
HALT

MARK EXA800
ADDI X 1 X
TEST X < 3
LINK 800
TJMP XL
JUMP END
NOOP

MARK EXA801
ADDI X 1 X
TEST X < 3
LINK 801
TJMP XL
JUMP END

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bhodi posted:

you can TEST EOF on the reader but nothin' doing on communications receipt/messaging, i struggled with that too

register M is the world's worst mutex or something

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i like to just send -9999 and hope that whatever real data doesn't have -9999 in it

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
This is for the copy book thing, i wanted to find a way to copy them in parallel, so i need a way to detect when the other end has died from eof. The check mem would work as long as i put the check after the read in the loop... Yeah that might work

Just need to send two per book and manually bring back rather than one home base copier like i had orig planned

send / look for 9999 was my first thought but it drastically slows down the copy rate :( i suspect running through and sending a loop val first is faster / same speed. You can also append 9999 to the file then read the whole thing but the receiver still has to test making the read half speed

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 12, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Bhodi posted:

couple of options:

- just let it pause, and have another exa come along and kill it when it's done. works pretty well if you're using local mode, since the exa that knows when it's run out of data to send is already in the same node. bad if you're trying to optimize activity i guess?
- send an eof value at the end. a bit slow, since you need to copy to a register and test if it's the eof value
- test mrd, and make sure whatever exa is writing to m always has data in time. fiddly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i had to use NOOP in one solution to time everything right and it felt like using a goto in c++

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ciaphas posted:

i had to use NOOP in one solution to time everything right and it felt like using a goto in c++

just be glad you never had to use asm::noop in c++ to time everything right

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

blessings: counted

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Jabor posted:

- send an eof value at the end. a bit slow, since you need to copy to a register and test if it's the eof value
use 0 as the eof value and T as the transfer register on the reading side, this way you can use a FJMP to exit the loop after reading into T without an additional test instruction

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Zlodo posted:

use 0 as the eof value and T as the transfer register on the reading side, this way you can use a FJMP to exit the loop after reading into T without an additional test instruction

that's loving genius

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i've used rand a bit in the battle mode. that's about it though.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
simulate mode needs to get faster, there's been a few solutions in a row where i have to wait like 5 minutes to simulate all 100

no my solutions are fine gently caress off this is the game's problem

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Zlodo posted:

only works if 0 isn't a legit value, but yeah if you're copying keywords or non-zero numbers this is ace

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
most of my solutions involve copying M to T.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
801 cycles on the last challenge :woop:

(except I have a NOOP somewhere at the beginning executed only once and it shouldn't affect anything but if I remove it it takes like 40 more cycles and I have no idea why :psyduck:)

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Something I've noticed is only one EXA can use a LINK at a time, and that created some desync that I wasn't expecting

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Something I've noticed is only one EXA can use a LINK at a time, and that created some desync that I wasn't expecting

yeah but the EXA that replicates through the network has already been sent by that point, that NOOP is in an EXA that stays in the starting host

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's "random" which exa goes through the link, there's a prng seeded with a bunch of stuff to make it consistent each time

possibly that noop is changing the seed used for the randomisation, and giving you a more efficient linking order?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Jabor posted:

it's "random" which exa goes through the link, there's a prng seeded with a bunch of stuff to make it consistent each time

possibly that noop is changing the seed used for the randomisation, and giving you a more efficient linking order?

maybe, I'll have to actually compare how the two versions execute in practice

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

huh, a zach interview from gdc 2018 popped up

Here's him talking about Infiniminer and Minecraft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAfcJB1WaDU&t=228s

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

homercles posted:

huh, a zach interview from gdc 2018 popped up

Here's him talking about Infiniminer and Minecraft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAfcJB1WaDU&t=228s

you just know from watching that he's loving writhing inside over notch

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

you just know from watching that he's loving writhing inside over notch
tbf i'd be bitter too if someone did a iterative pass over a program i made, sold it for 2.5 billion dollars, then didn't give even 0.002% of the proceeds for me to live comfortably for the rest of my life as thanks for the inspiration

frankly i don't think i'd have handled that snub publicly with as much class

:thermidor:

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 13, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bhodi posted:

tbf i'd be bitter too if someone did a iterative pass over a program i made, sold it for 2.5 billion dollars, then didn't give even 0.002% of the proceeds for me to live comfortably for the rest of my life as thanks for the inspiration

frankly i don't think i'd have handled that snub publicly with as much class

:thermidor:

oh i'm not ragging on him, i would have committed Actual Crimes if this happened to me

basically as sorry as i sometimes feel for notch's evident mental health issues he can also go gently caress himself, the miserable thief

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Hulllooooooo, a wild Illectro appears at 26:18 to ask a question

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

zach should've turned infiniminer into an actual product instead of abandoning it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I don't feel sorry for notch at all. He bought literally the most expensive house in Beverly Hills and has over a billion dollars to his name because he didn't give any of it to his employees in Sweden. He could stock the house with drugs and booze and jet skis and sports cars, pay four guys a quarter million a year each to be his permanent entourage and bring over girls and throw parties, and live the rest of his life in a hedonistic orgy that would embarrass a Roman Emperor, dying with hundreds of millions still to go.

But instead he just sits in the dark on his computer in his giant empty house and makes misogynistic posts on Twitter all day, because he's a piece of poo poo.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 13, 2018

• Locked thread