Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sanitary Naptime posted:

I’m not worried about what the public perception is, I’m worried about what the media onslaught and plp cuntery is likely to do to the leadership. I know the guy has persevered through the worst infighting and betrayals within the party but this feels so coordinated and relentless that I can’t help but see it finally taking its toll and forcing a resignation.

If the chicken coup didn't do that, this isn't either, tbh.

Four: what there was a Gang of the last time the Labour right thought starting a new centrist party was a wizard idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Rarity posted:

As far as I'm concerned the only thing he did wrong was specify "Jewish" Trump supporters. We all know the right wing is making this a huge attack campaign and plenty of non-Jews are involved in that as well. We can acknowledge the collusion involved without blaming it all on the Jews.

Willsman said “I’ve certainly never seen any” which is dubious. For example
Was he asleep through Ken ‘Hitler’ Livingstone jumping up in every available media outlet to make his anti-Jewish babbling

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

xtothez posted:

Stepping down due to this only proves that these tactics work, and gives a great incentive for the papers to keep using them on every last replacement who admits to be left of Blair. Don't forget the press treatment Milliband got for such heinous crimes as eating a sandwich and having a Jewish father. Do you really think this all goes away with a different left wing leader?

Its a war, plain and simple.

In all wars its all about knowing when to stop advancing and instead hold your ground and the change of rules are probably it. Corbyn has shown time and time again that he has far too much baggage to be a leader to get a out right majority, and thats not due to bad policies its due to the constant attacks due to his absurd amount of baggage he has. Just look at the attacks they were doing at Milliband they were ineffective and had to resort to digging up stuff about his dad or eating a sandwich oddly. What sunk Milliband wasn't the press it was a poor campaign team with until May's 2017 election the worst run campaign in modern history.

Corbyn's Labour has shown it can now run left wing campaigns, it just needs a leader whose not going to make it drat difficult for them due to having more baggage than a 747.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Does anyone remember years ago seeing a documentary where Jocky Wilson was involved in an experiment to see who would pay out lots of money for some kind of darts-based Jocky Wilson authorised management training thing? (It wasn't a scam - it was an experiment to see who would fall for it).

I'd probably be down for a Jim Bowen management system

Sanitary Naptime posted:

I’m feeling pretty loving despondent over this row now that Corbyn has apologised for hosting an event eight years ago. The Today programme had a loving gleeful Nick Robinson attempting his best gotcha at it followed up by fuckin John Mann all but saying Corbyn should resign.

By actually apologising for it, it feels like he’s just granted legitimacy to the worst loving weaponised parts of the whole affair while doing nothing to actually combat any antisemites within the party.

He actually didn't apologise for it, but he had to say something and everyone wants to spin it as CORBYN ADMITS SHAMEFUL PAST

Here's what he actually said

quote:

Corbyn said: “The main speaker at this Holocaust Memorial Day meeting was a Jewish Auschwitz survivor. Views were expressed at the meeting which I do not accept or condone.

“In the past, in pursuit of justice for the Palestinian people and peace in Israel/Palestine, I have on occasion appeared on platforms with people whose views I completely reject. I apologise for the concerns and anxiety that this has caused.”

That to me is not "sorry, I was wrong", it's "here's why I did it and I'm sorry if that's a problem for anyone". It's not even talking about that one event, it's a general statement about his activism and how this is how he rolls because it's important. He's gotten stick for this kind of thing before, and the response to his response is nothing new either

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Cerv posted:

Willsman said “I’ve certainly never seen any” which is dubious. For example
Was he asleep through Ken ‘Hitler’ Livingstone jumping up in every available media outlet to make his anti-Jewish babbling

I think labour needs to adopt all the examples in that definition of antisemitism then if it's used to try and silence criticism of Israel use this to throw open the debate as to the examples effectiveness and highlight the disingenuity of our opponents and their own refusal to tackle racism within their parties. When we've got racists in the party action has to be taken to root them out. Try and make the right look more and more sleazy avoiding making their opinions on the I-P issue plain while beating labour around the head with this. If they back off the party will be less numerous racists and free of the issue in the media.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ arguing the toss hasn't worked so far, and those definitions have literally been used to shut down criticism of Israel, so honestly that's a pretty optimistic take!

Jeremy Hunt continues his alt-reality propaganda tour where he insists up is down until everyone believes it

quote:

'At the moment we are heading for a no deal by accident,' says Jeremy Hunt

Jeremy Hunt, the foreign secretary, has been intensifying his warnings about the prospect of the UK leaving the EU without a deal. Last week, when he went to Berlin,he said there was “a risk of a no deal by accident”. He said much the same yesterday, as he went to Paris and said the possibility of a no deal was “increasing by the day”. And today, after meeting his Austrian counterpart Karin Kneissl in Vienna, he said in a tweet there was “a real risk of a messy divorce which would be a geostrategic mistake”.

https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/1024602975409504256?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

But, according to a report from the AFP news agency, Hunt also told reporters after the meeting:

At the moment we are heading for no deal by accident.

That implies a level of probability rather higher than “real risk”.

pure accident m8, nobody's fault really - well the EU's fault for not doing any work on this.

The tweet's especially good opposite world stuff - smart paternalist Britane is concerned that the EU is gonna mess up their future! They need to take this seriously or they'll be in trouble! Jeremy Hunt, the man who'll literally stand there and stare you out in a TV interview until you give up and leave, is probably the perfect pick for this

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Anyone who's hoping for John McDonnell to be the saviour who will be able to get on with pushing forward a policy agenda without having his past dredged up every five minutes is, um, being just slightly optimistic. You're not going to get that until someone from the post-2015 intake is ready to take on and that still won't be for a few years yet.

At times like this I like to remember my old man bumping into Jeremy outside the Arsenal during the early days of the chicken coup; he said "don't let the bastards grind you down" and the response was "Oh, we're not worried about anything :cool: "

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 1, 2018

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

Anyone who's hoping for John McDonnell to be the saviour who will be able to get on with pushing forward a policy agenda without having his past dredged up every five minutes is, um, being just slightly optimistic. You're not going to get that until someone from the post-2015 intake is ready to take on and that still won't be for a few years yet.

At times like this I like to remember my old man bumping into Jeremy outside the Arsenal during the early days of the chicken coup; he said "don't let the bastards grind you down" and the response was "Oh, we're not worried about anything :cool: "

One thing that's amazing about our lad is how he can treat these fuckers the way they deserve - water off a duck's back.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

But yeah McDonnell gets all the insane ulstermans up in arms

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tesseraction posted:

But yeah McDonnell gets all the insane ulstermans up in arms

Personally, I think that's a positive. :shrug:

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

ukle posted:

Corbyn has shown time and time again that he has far too much baggage to be a leader to get a out right majority, and thats not due to bad policies its due to the constant attacks due to his absurd amount of baggage he has.

What's "baggage" to you is credentials to the left. Someone without a left wing track record will not be trusted.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

baka kaba posted:

^^^ arguing the toss hasn't worked so far, and those definitions have literally been used to shut down criticism of Israel, so honestly that's a pretty optimistic take!

People can't literally stop you talking. If you controversially criticize Israel and these definitions are brought out to justify that the controversy is being published and you can keep going with your criticism regardless until either the media have to expand their description of what's going on from whatever one-sided full-of-omission claptrap they come up with or it becomes more and more apparent the lie of racism unique to labour they're fabricating by failing to mention other parties problems. It's not true that we in labour are totally incapable of spreading correct information and highlighting hypocrisy in the age of social media, even if the media will always be against us. Since that's the case anyway there's nothing to loose by continuing to root out this racism while pushing any angle that will lead to a discussion since we know they are in the wrong and this will become apparent if the information is all out there. It's not like there's some alternative since nothing else stops the criticism or gets the racists out of labour fast enough.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ukle posted:

In all wars its all about knowing when to stop advancing and instead hold your ground and the change of rules are probably it. Corbyn has shown time and time again that he has far too much baggage to be a leader to get a out right majority, and thats not due to bad policies its due to the constant attacks due to his absurd amount of baggage he has. Just look at the attacks they were doing at Milliband they were ineffective and had to resort to digging up stuff about his dad or eating a sandwich oddly. What sunk Milliband wasn't the press it was a poor campaign team with until May's 2017 election the worst run campaign in modern history.

Corbyn's "baggage" is spending 30 years fighting racism, apartheid, illegal wars and opposing policies that harm the most vulnerable people the world (among a shitload of other things).

What they're doing to him is the classic Karl Rove tactic of attacking his strengths rather than his weakness. His identity as a politician is fighting racism ergo he is a racist, just as John Kerry's identity was as a decorated veteran ergo he is a coward. It's really scummy, as it turns what should be your best points into something you're forced to defend.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

baka kaba posted:

I'd probably be down for a Jim Bowen management system

Let's see what you could have won!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm not a fan of hiring teams being even more blatant about "keep out the black".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

glad she is dead posted:

Corbyn's "baggage" is spending 30 years fighting racism, apartheid, illegal wars and opposing policies that harm the most vulnerable people the world (among a shitload of other things).

What they're doing to him is the classic Karl Rove tactic of attacking his strengths rather than his weakness. His identity as a politician is fighting racism ergo he is a racist, just as John Kerry's identity was as a decorated veteran ergo he is a coward. It's really scummy, as it turns what should be your best points into something you're forced to defend.

it owns that the republicans have elected 2 draft dodgers in a row. especially since trump goes on and on about how he loves veterans right as he's deporting them

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Obliterati posted:

If you really want your brain to melt, check out ITIL: six hundred pages of processes and subprocesses that are 100% critical to doing IT, except not one of these involves writing code

E: for bonus marks, note it was a civil service managment philosophy that was privatised and bought by noted IT deliverers, Capita

ITIL (and it's tie-wearing cousin PRINCE2) is actually fine. Like all these kind of things though it's (ab)used by people who think that as long they do the bare minimum to get certification that completely exonerates them from having to do any actual management.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

https://twitter.com/krishgm/status/1024657580860362753

The replies to this tweet are rather reassuring.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

People who think of themselves on the left and accept the narrative that Corbyn is somehow a bad choice for leader through some really bizarre logic are so cosmically unaware of everything going on and also seem to have no idea as to what their imaginary perfect leader is so you can pretty much safely ignore them until they have their inevitable road to damascus moment and realise how dumb they were.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Surprise Giraffe posted:

People can't literally stop you talking. If you controversially criticize Israel and these definitions are brought out to justify that the controversy is being published and you can keep going with your criticism regardless until either the media have to expand their description of what's going on from whatever one-sided full-of-omission claptrap they come up with or it becomes more and more apparent the lie of racism unique to labour they're fabricating by failing to mention other parties problems. It's not true that we in labour are totally incapable of spreading correct information and highlighting hypocrisy in the age of social media, even if the media will always be against us. Since that's the case anyway there's nothing to loose by continuing to root out this racism while pushing any angle that will lead to a discussion since we know they are in the wrong and this will become apparent if the information is all out there. It's not like there's some alternative since nothing else stops the criticism or gets the racists out of labour fast enough.

You're basing this on a belief that the truth will out, though. There's no reason to believe that, especially on such a long-running and politically charged issue like I/P

Look at it this way - as far as I can see, the Labour code a) adopts the IHRA definition in full, b) includes most of the guidance examples verbatim, c) includes others and actually expands on them with more examples, d) reworks the ones about Israel to allow for criticism of that state, while retaining the language that proscribes accusing Jewish people of loyalty to Israel etc, and e) makes the language a little more robust, with stronger implications that these examples are antisemitic than the original

These sound like good steps to me - taking a firm line against antisemitism, calling more behaviour out as unacceptable, and clarifying that criticism of Israel's actions is valid and legitimate, so long as it doesn't involve any of that proscribed behaviour. I'm assuming you think that's a positive thing too - but look, already you want to concede it because there are people who attack any criticism of Israel who are raising a stink about it. Is the media expanding their definition of what's going on? Is there a light being shone on other parties' problems? Is a meaningful discussion blossoming from all this? And does rolling over and effectively going "you're right, those were bad changes about Israel and all, let's just adopt the original examples that have been used to shut down dissent" mean you're spreading correct information and highlighting hypocrisy? Or are you just making it harder to fight those arguments in the future?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Firos posted:

https://twitter.com/krishgm/status/1024657580860362753

The replies to this tweet are rather reassuring.

The replies to that tweet are going to be shrugged off as Corbynista fanaticism or leftist bullying.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jose posted:

it owns that the republicans have elected 2 draft dodgers in a row. especially since trump goes on and on about how he loves veterans right as he's deporting them

Of the Republican candidates in the last ten Presidential elections only Dole, McCain and Bush Sr had served on active duty.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Thanks comrades, you’re good people! Waking up to my radio shiting out that interview probably wasn’t the best way to start the day.

Think I’ll reset my alarm to the default klaxon sound it makes rather than the radio, Nick Robinson is enough to make any side of the bed the wrong one.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Don't know if anybody else has been following this but one of the guys pushing the Labour Anti-Semitism thing, Daniel Finkelstein, has been found out by leftist twitter as having been on the board of the Gatestone institute, a far right wing think tank who pushed to forcibly deport all Muslims from Europe. Abi Wilkinson has found out and has been pushing it hard on twitter, which has gotten every terrible opinion writer to try and A) threaten legal action and B) claim that Daniel didn't know about the racism of the think tank he was on the board of.

Daniel Finkelstein has gone from claiming that he was never part of the organisation to claiming that he was only on the board in name only, despite earlier tweets showing that he was an active member. He's also accusing Abi of being Anti-Semitic and a crazy bitch.

https://twitter.com/AbiWilks/status/1024434276643819520

https://twitter.com/AbiWilks/status/1024438282661371904

https://twitter.com/washyourmouth1/status/1024438998830383106

https://twitter.com/AbiWilks/status/1024440870681145345

https://twitter.com/Resjudicatamyft/status/1024445273853095936

https://twitter.com/AbiWilks/status/1024453151112474624

https://twitter.com/AbiWilks/status/1024453489064337411

https://twitter.com/piombo/status/1024454635761885184

https://twitter.com/AbiWilks/status/1024613748907159552

https://twitter.com/HKesvani/status/1024615652370395136

https://twitter.com/HKesvani/status/1024616269797044226

https://twitter.com/AbiWilks/status/1024620671035498496

https://twitter.com/madeinhaste/status/1024620289961979904

https://twitter.com/Blahovic/status/1024631919311564801

https://twitter.com/AbiWilks/status/1024640006781132800

https://twitter.com/AbiWilks/status/1024643332155301888

tl;dr Yer boy who's pining for Corbyn to embrace liberal values and worrying about the incoming transformation into Nazi Britain was on the board of a racist think tank designed to purge Muslims from the West.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 1, 2018

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

You missed the best bit, where Finkelstein objected that the Gatestone Institute couldn't be too bad, as that would impugne notable associates of excellent character such as Alan Dershowitz and Henry Kissinger.

e: excuse me, it's in there right at the top.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/AbiWilks/status/1024675161918853120

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Tesseraction posted:

Phew I only rate an 'erm' on this chart.

I’m Ok if I show them my palms :smug:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I love that they're all worked up that Abi called the massive racist a scumbag. Genocide is one thing but watch the PG name calling ma'am.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol at all the journalists piling into the replies to say he's not racist and surely didn't know anything about the gatestone institute

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1024634334840610817

Hahaha. O'Brien has gone full brainworms.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

so he thinks labour would be polling near 60%?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Trin Tragula posted:

McDonnell would I think be far more willing to openly call out the bullshit and tell people to gently caress off, which I don't think would be a bad thing. One of corbyn's weaknesses is that if anything he is too nice, patient, and forgiving.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Or half the Conservative vote is purely anti Corbyn.

20 points gently caress off

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gonzo McFee posted:

I love that they're all worked up that Abi called the massive racist a scumbag. Genocide is one thing but watch the PG name calling ma'am.

But my civil discourse :negative:

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Fans posted:

Or half the Conservative vote is purely anti Corbyn.

20 points gently caress off

I really wish there was a "braingenius" equivalent of :master:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Firos posted:

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1024634334840610817

Hahaha. O'Brien has gone full brainworms.

tbh I actually kind of agree with this. If the Labour party had say David Milliband in charge then the press would be actively cheerleading the collapse of the conservative party because they'd know that nothing would change.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

learnincurve posted:

I’m Ok if I show them my palms :smug:

According to that chart I'm a baddun but my kid is OK which is ironic as she's 1/2 as white as I am. Then again white extremists loving love their waifus don't they.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

*holds up auction paddle* 22 points!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

tbh I actually kind of agree with this. If the Labour party had say David Milliband in charge then the press would be actively cheerleading the collapse of the conservative party because they'd know that nothing would change.

If Miliband was in charge, there probably wouldn’t be a Labour party after the 2017 general. Remember that while the cap may be Corbyn, the baseline is also Corbyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
David Miliband isn’t even an option. Who’d have us on 20 points? Cooper? Burnham? Smith? (lol)

This is peak “If people just did what I want we’d have a landslide”

• Locked thread