Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
https://twitter.com/guardianaus/status/1036317094462345217?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
How are they planning on doing that?

The most probable election outcome is a huge Labor majority in the house and the usual collection of psychopaths in the senate. The greens will more than likely be irrelevant.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I believe I already called this.

Nu-Labor

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The Greens are gonna have trouble with relevance when under a mostly progressive Shorten super majority basically they can only hammer the ALP on asylum-seekers and the greens don't want to go back to being a mono issue party

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Anidav posted:

the greens don't want to go back to being a mono issue party

I'm pretty sure you'll find that the average Australian will always consider the Greens to be a single issue party. Of course, this may change if they do a rebranding. :can:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The greens are dead it's over.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

nobody votes for the greens because the greens don't win elections because nobody votes for the greens because

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bell jar posted:

nobody votes for the greens because the greens don't win elections because nobody votes for the greens because

Nah they're just another comedy sideshow happening while main event Bill thrills and amazes.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
i cant remember where he said it but anthony green said whoever wins the next election has a good chance of control off the senate

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
https://www.smh.com.au/education/scared-and-furious-woman-shocked-to-discover-she-has-36-000-education-debt-20180901-p5016j.html

quote:

Jeanette Steendam received the shock of her life when she tried to lodge her tax return.

The 58-year-old Wodonga woman had just discovered she owed the federal government $36,000 for a tertiary qualification she’d never received. She was also told she had to immediately repay $2000.

Distressed by the numbers that flashed up on her computer screen, Ms Steendam turned off the power.

“I was scared and furious,” she said.

The former vocational student is now one of thousands of people dealing with the consequences of Australia’s biggest education rort: the notorious loan scheme known as VET FEE HELP.

Created by the Coalition and expanded by Labor, the scheme granted private colleges virtually unregulated access to government subsidies for virtually every student they enrolled.

This created a perverse incentive for some colleges to enrol as many people as they could, sometimes luring them with laptops and other incentives to sign up to often substandard online courses.

Ms Steendam — who has taken her fight to the Australian Taxation Office and VET Student Loans Ombudsman — was one of its unsuspecting victims.

“I hold the government accountable,” she told The Sunday Age.

Ms Steendam's troubles began in 2015 when she enrolled into a double diploma in community services and counselling at the now-defunct Careers Australia.

She was then working full-time at an employment agency in Albury that helped the jobless find work through a federal government back-to-work scheme.

A Careers Australia representative visited her work and started signing up unemployed people for diplomas.

Although Ms Steendam had a full-time job, she was also interested in upskilling. She’d started looking for a new job and thought a diploma would improve her credentials, and she also liked the thought of being able to study at her own pace.

“It doesn't take long for a good salesman to sell something and make it sound really good,” she said.

But three weeks into the double diploma, after completing only two units, Ms Steendam phoned Careers Australia and told them she was pulling out.

Instead of being self-paced, as the salesman had promised, she was receiving daily calls from the training college who were hassling her to submit work. It was becoming too much.

“I told them this is ridiculous,” she said.

Yet, instead of taking her off the books when she quit the course, Careers Australia kept charging her, telling her only after she’d discovered the ongoing debt that it was because she hadn’t withdrawn in writing.

“I cannot believe this company knowingly kept claiming the government funding for me, knowing I wasn't completing the course,” she said. They even “had the audacity to ask me to return the laptop that I never received''.

Figures from the Student Loans Ombudsman show the federal watchdog received 5193 complaints in nine months from people who said they had been ripped off through VET FEE HELP.

The highest proportion of those complaints came from people who, like Ms Steendam, only became aware of their debt when they started earning above the repayment threshold.

As the repayment threshold decreases – from $55,874 to around $45,000 – it’s expected more Australians caught up in the rort will also discover they also owe the government money.

Now pressure is mounting on new Skills and Vocational Education Minister Michaelia Cash to wipe out debts that were issued unethically.

Asked if the Minister would help students who had been ripped off, her spokeswoman said on Saturday: “The Coalition Government is doing work to clean up the mess the previous government left in vocational education with their failed VET FEE-HELP scheme.”

“The VET Student Loans Ombudsman (VSLO) has been established to administer complaints, including complaints about VET FEE HELP debts. The VSLO is separate from the Department of Education and Training and has its own legal powers to investigate and deal with complaints.”

Meanwhile, the VET Student Loans Ombudsman contacted Ms Steendam on Friday morning, after being approached by The Sunday Age for comment, informing her that she could apply to the ATO to defer the repayments on her debt while the watchdog continued to investigate the matter.

In a statement issued to The Sunday Age on Friday afternoon, a spokesperson for the Ombudsman said it could not discuss the specifics of the case, but confirmed the office was investigating numerous complaints about the now-closed Careers Australia.

“In the interim, the Office and Australian Taxation Office (ATO) have an arrangement where complainants’ compulsory student repayments can be deferred while we investigate their complaint. The complainant is made aware that the deferment is temporary, the debt remains and indexation continues to accrue unless the debt is re-credited or otherwise cancelled,” the spokesperson said.

For Ms Steendam, it’s a welcome reprieve — at least for now.

But the Consumer Action Law Centre predicts more Australians will start coming forward with stories of dodgy training colleges once they discover their debt as the repayment threshold is reduced.

The centre’s Mick Bellairs is urging the federal government to waive VET FEE-HELP debts that were sold unlawfully or unethically, often to vulnerable, low-income people.

“We believe there are many thousands of legacy debts that need to be resolved by the federal government,” he said.

“As soon as you meet that repayment threshold, there’s nothing you can do, you have to start paying back that debt.”

bold it all

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Wait.. NOTHING for WA?

What the actual gently caress. They know they're not getting any seats back, and losing the handful of marginals in WA puts them handily back into opposition, so even porking the gently caress out of QLD wouldn't allow them to keep power. And in terms of need, WA is right up there, with the largest population growth and lowest infrastructure spend for the past decade.

Is this the Dutton plan or a Turnbull plan? Surely Malcolm wasn't this incompetent?!?!

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Reclines Obesily posted:

i cant remember where he said it but anthony green said whoever wins the next election has a good chance of control off the senate
Looking at the list of who is up for reelection it appears the ALP would need something like four out of the six seats in each state, but I don't know enough about how the new Senate preference rules would function in a normal election to know if that is plausible.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It's not even a good QLD pork barrel. They are still planning to spend billions on a high speed rail track from Canberra to Sydney. Not to Brisbane. Not to the Gold Coast. All the serious future proof projects stop at the NSW border. All QLD is getting from an LNP govt is road repairs.

gently caress em.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SadisTech posted:

Created by the Coalition and expanded by Labor, the scheme granted private colleges virtually unregulated access to government subsidies for virtually every student they enrolled.

Asked if the Minister would help students who had been ripped off, her spokeswoman said on Saturday: “The Coalition Government is doing work to clean up the mess the previous government left in vocational education with their failed VET FEE-HELP scheme.”

:hmm:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Scott Morrison on the radio this morning saying his government is considering a royal commission into power prices and deregistering the CFMMEU.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure you have to apply for VET FEE-HELP, it's not just something that happens

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So apparently there was a big running fight in Collingwood over the weekend? Some record label launch at the Gasometer. Can't wait to see the Sudanese gangs bullshit flare up again

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

screaden posted:

So apparently there was a big running fight in Collingwood over the weekend? Some record label launch at the Gasometer. Can't wait to see the Sudanese gangs bullshit flare up again

Apparently there were "pacific islanders" involved also so it will be interesting to see how the African Gangs Panic Brigade choose to interpret it

also Gaso is a poo poo pub imo

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

Scott Morrison on the radio this morning saying his government is considering a royal commission into power prices and deregistering the CFMMEU.

Lol SCOMO has no idea how to do an election runup does he.

Do it. Dereg the most powerful, militant and active union in the industry, and send every single goddamn member out door to door explaining to middle Australians why they should look past the dog whistle and vote in their best interests.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

bowmore posted:

I'm pretty sure you have to apply for VET FEE-HELP, it's not just something that happens

m8 i wouldn't be making assumptions when you've had private "institutions" specifically targeting disadvantaged people.

Milkshake Stranger
Feb 8, 2010

bowmore posted:

Yes, you do. And you have to withdraw in writing, too.

Just a whiner who dropped out of her diploma course and forgot to cancel it properly.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
See how this is a mental health case and not terrorism, because the guy is white

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-02/sydney-man-storing-military-weapons-imminent-threat/10192888

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
When I was just back from overseas travel a few years back I somehow ended up getting a series of calls from some dodgy online uni offering a free laptop and a "work at your own pace" technical course.

Sounded like a scam so I told the guy to shove it and it looks like that was a decent move.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Doctor Whomst posted:

Just a whiner who dropped out of her diploma course and forgot to cancel it properly.

I agree and we should accept at face value the defunct company that aggressively and unethically exploited the poo poo out of vulnerable people as their business model did everything correctly, and the customer was fully informed about the proper cancellation method.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Sorry I forgot the you utter moron, you clown bit at the end, just lemme cancel that post... Ah you'll take care of it? Ok, great. Yeah if the free laptop pops up I'll send it back.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

ah well, when it comes to, ahh, funding the, ah, tafe courses in this country, ah, caveat emptor, bitch

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anidav posted:

He can't be that stupid

Every loving union would stop work immediately. Not just the cfmeu

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

tithin posted:

He can't be that stupid

Every loving union would stop work immediately. Not just the cfmeu

I mean... not EVERY union...

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The Victorian Government is doing public consultation to develop regional plans for bushfire management.

The first question asks respondents to rate the value of human life from 1 to 10 stars

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

The Victorian Government is doing public consultation to develop regional plans for bushfire management.

The first question asks respondents to rate the value of human life from 1 to 10 stars

:one:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

If you rate human life as a 10 and a house at 8, then obviously you should morally treat a house as 4/5ths of a person...

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Recoome posted:

m8 i wouldn't be making assumptions when you've had private "institutions" specifically targeting disadvantaged people.
yeah I'm not saying the private institutions aren't scum despite how my post looked

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Tokamak posted:

If you rate human life as a 10 and a house at 8, then obviously you should morally treat a house as 4/5ths of a person...

“There is no right or wrong answer”

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

The Royal Adelaide Show's general manager Michelle Hocking said it was unlikely golliwog dolls would again feature at the show.

She said "no offence was ever intended", and has apologised.

"We were a little bit surprised by the reaction because we've had golly dolls in the competition as long as I can remember," Ms Hocking said.

"There are various different stories or accounts of where the golly dolls actually come from, and from our point of view it was a story book written many, many years ago.

"Unfortunately there has been some offence taken to actually having the golly dolls in the competition.

"We looked at the response it was getting last night on social media and decided we would remove the dolls.

"We also did that to look after the ladies, as well, who have entered the dolls because some of the comments that were coming through were very offensive, they were very personal."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-03/golliwog-dolls-removed-from-royal-adelaide-show-display/10194224

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Dat framing.

We pulled this because some people have taken offence.

Not

We pulled this because it turns out making caricature dolls of another racist is a kind of lovely thing to do!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Tokamak posted:

LNP taking "give investment properties the franchise" to the election

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Doctor Whomst posted:

I work at a place where a bunch of our students are using FEE-HELP and if it got to that point the institution hosed up. If we have a student who stops attending or submitting work we make a point of reaching out to them and either trying to get them on track or recommending they drop the course before the next milestone date comes along.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm not going to complain about it being 2018 and people still loving making golliwogs because I'm pretty sure there will still be golliwogs and blackface in australia in 2028

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/sydney-man-dead-after-angry-mob-attacks-ambos

What's the deal with this story? How the gently caress do medics get attacked by 80 people in a unit block?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

Dat framing.

We pulled this because some people have taken offence.

Not

We pulled this because it turns out making caricature dolls of another racist is a kind of lovely thing to do!

but why is a golliwog more offensive than a black barbie doll or an asian barbie doll

a question that I was actually asked by a coworker once

• Locked thread