Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
IMHO they made shaders even worse

"Forsaken shaders do not drop in the wild; instead, they come from dismantling gear with that shader applied
Rare-quality shaders are often applied to drops, but have a low chance of being granted by dismantling
Legendary-quality shaders appear much less frequently on gear, but have a high chance of being granted by dismantling "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

COOL CORN posted:

You literally had to do one mouse scroll downward to get to the "Clan and Discord" header

Ya dingus

I'm on mobile, must have scrolled right past it. Thanks pal!

Applied to 2 chill 2 serious as Abide #1118 gracias

Field Mousepad fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 4, 2018

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"Forsaken shaders do not drop in the wild; instead, they come from dismantling gear with that shader applied
Rare-quality shaders are often applied to drops, but have a low chance of being granted by dismantling
Legendary-quality shaders appear much less frequently on gear, but have a high chance of being granted by dismantling "

Lol, I'm glad now I didn't dismantle any of my shaders.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Lol, I'm glad now I didn't dismantle any of my shaders.

To clarify, this is how you get your mitts on today's brand new Forsaken shaders. The old stuff you can just pull from collections any time. To get a new type of shader, you need to RNG your way to a weapon that has it pre-applied, dismantle it (hope it wasn't good!), and RNG will decide if you get the shader.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
:hops into thread to see how it's all going since I'm at work

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

wtf bungie are you kidding me

i mean i rarely paid attention to shaders if i wasn't loading into a zone so it probably won't change anything but still that's real dumb

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
and then once you get the shader you can just pull it out of the collection whenever you want

meh

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
it basically means instead of having way too many of every shader that I don't use, I'll have 0 of every shader that I don't use

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Again, this is just for brand new specific shaders added to the game today. Today's shaders, from Forsaken, introduced today. Not Atlantis Wash or whatever that was in Y1, but new shaders with names like Tempest Rust that are only available starting today, from Forsaken.

Obviously as Legs Benedict points out, it's no longer an issue once it's no longer an issue, but that's a dumb thing to say and Bungie really should not be making new bad decisions during their "Oopsie Give Us Another Chance" season.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
It'd be a fine method for getting shaders if the shader drop was guaranteed when you dismantle. Two levels of RNG is always dumb though.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
So from everything I see, now is the time to get back into this game. I haven't played since CoO. Do I have to plow through all of Warmind before I can do the Forsaken stuff? If so, will I have to grind the Warmind stuff before I'll be useful in anything Forsaken?

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I probably missed this:

Patch Notes. They’re going in the Post 3.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/47197

quote:

DESTINY 2 UPDATE 2.0.0.1
0h - Destiny Dev Team
The Season of the Outlaw has begun.
Player Character
General
Raised character level cap to 50 for Forsaken owners

Sandbox
General
Year 1 Sony exclusive Exotic and legendary rewards are now available for all platforms

Exotic Weapons
Riskrunner
Increased inventory size
Whisper of the Worm
Replaced Armor Piercing Rounds with Accurized Rounds to prevent accidental perk failures for White Nail

Weapons
Year 2 weapons now provide random perks when acquired
Year 2 Masterwork weapons have revamped system
Allows players to reach +10 bonus stats
Year 2 mods are now available
Can be acquired by dismantling Year 2 weapons
Can be purchased from the Gunsmith
Year 1 weapons no longer accept modifications

Perks
Increased the blast radius penalty for Concussion and Blinding Grenades from single shot grenade launchers

Abilities
Hunters
Golden Gun
Increased Golden Gun damage against base and elite enemies
Titan
Magnetic Grenades
Grenades should now detonate a second time even if the initial detonation kills the target

Activities
Strikes
The Vanguard Strike Playlist is now available
Nightfall strike scoring has been re-enabled
Base-level strikes are available through destinations
Year 1 Sony exclusive strikes are now available to all platforms

Exodus Crash
Analyzing the Fallen device in Prodromus Down
The objective progress rate increases based on number of Guardians standing near Ghost
Thaviks encounter
Decreased thaviks's teleport frequency
Was three long teleports and six quick teleports
Now two long teleports and three quick teleports
Increased Thaviks's quick-teleport speed increased
Reduced enemy waves to match teleport frequency
Added additional enemies per wave
Damage to Thaviks is preserved when Thaviks switches weapons

Daily Heroic Story Missions
Daily Heroic story missions now available

Crucible
General
Fixed an issue that sometimes triggered the Quitter Penalty after completed Competitive Crucible matches
Starting in Season 4, Iron Banner will be updated to enable Power level advantages, beginning on September 18
Removed Mayhem temporarily from the weekly featured playlist until a future update
Trials of the Nine is now on hiatus
Trials of the Nine reputation tokens cannot be redeemed until the activity returns

Maps
Retribution and Wormhaven are now available on all platforms
Retribution has been reworked and enlarged to support 6v6 matches

Rumble
Earning a place in the Top 3 in Rumble will now count as a win
The correct number of Valor Rank Points will be granted

Competitive
Glory
Retuned Glory Rank Points gained and lost have to reduce the overall climb to higher ranks
Fixed the weekly award and doubled its gains
Fixed and returned weekly Glory decay
Players who competed in Season 3 will earn bonus rank points for completing their first match in Season 4
Removed loss streaks
Valor
Losses in the Competitive playlist no longer reset your Valor win streak
Game Modes
Control and Clash modes have been added to the Competitive playlist
Rewards
Pinnacle Crucible rewards are now awarded via quests
These quests will not be removed at the end of the season
Redrix’s Claymore has been retired in Season 4 as a seasonal reward
Players who earned Redrix’s Claymore in Season 3 will receive additional bonuses

Private Matches
Added the option to adjust the respawn timers for Survival
Score-to-win options have been updated for several modes
Control
Added 25 and 150, removed 10 and 20
150 is the new default
Clash
100 is the new default
Supremacy
150 is the new default

Gambit
General
The Gambit playlist is unlocked
Requires Forsaken
Requires completion of mission "Spark"
Infamy ranks now available

Tower
Vendors
Zavala
The Season 4 vendor progression system has been updated with two separate progressions
Vanguard Rank
Like in previous seasons, Vanguard rank can be increased by turning in Vanguard tokens to Zavala
Increasing your Vanguard rank will provide Vanguard engrams, containing new Year 2 weapons and armor with random rolls
You can continue to acquire items found in Vanguard engrams beyond the season end boundary
Seasonal exclusive items that are purchased via Vanguard rank have been moved to their own row for clarity, and will only be attainable until the end of Season 4
Nightfall Rank
Increased by attaining score on various Nightfall strikes
Items are now available for purchase from Zavala by increasing in Nightfall Rank
Shaxx
Updated reputation reward packages for Season 4
Updated bounties for Season 4
Added pursuits to Shaxx’s inventory
Added new rewards for Valor ranks
Gunsmith
No longer exchanges Year 1 mods; these can be safely dismantled
Now sells two mods (one armor, one weapon) a day.
Gunsmith packages now require 100 Gunsmith Materials
Updated repuation reward packages for Season 4

Events & Rituals
Challenges
General
Between levels 20 and 50 challenges provide a source of Legendary items and experience
When you reach level 50, an entirely new set of challenges activates and the leveling ones are no longer available
After you reach level 50, these are the main avenue into the powerful rewards that previously lived within milestones
Level 20 challenges with progression will be converted to a new challenges at level 50
Daily challenges now available
Specific challenges offered each day
Individual daily challenges reset on a four day cadence
Weekly challenges now available
Reset each Tuesday

Items & Economy
General
Increased experience rewards for completing strikes and nightfall
Reduced experience rewards for completing normal and heroic public events
Iron Banner, Vanguard, and Crucible tokens earned in Season 3 may be redeemed with their respective vendors in Season 4
Players are no longer able to delete mods or shaders from an items details screen

Masterworks
Masterwork reward chances are being reduced in some activities
Pre-Forsaken raids will still offer a higher chance for Masterwork acquisition, but that chance has been lowered from 50% to 10% to be in line with Masterwork drops in Forsaken
Year 1 armor will always dismantle to one Masterwork Core
Year 1 weapons can dismantle to one or two cores, but no longer three

Power
Activity rewards now respect your Power
If you complete an activity while severely under-leveled, rewards will offer a larger Power upgrade
If you complete an activity while heavily over-leveled, rewards will be a lower Power level

Shaders
Forsaken shaders do not drop in the wild; instead, they come from dismantling gear with that shader applied
Legendary-quality shaders appear much less frequently on gear, but have a high chance of being granted by dismantling
It no longer costs anything to apply shaders to gear

Infusion
Infusion for all pre-Forsaken and Forsaken gear is capped at 600 Power
Weapon infusion is now slot-based rather than archetype-based
Example: Any Kinetic weapon can be infused into any other Kinetic weapon, but you can no longer infuse an Energy Hand Cannon into a Kinetic Hand Cannon
Infusing duplicates of the same item is much less expensive than using two different items

Destination Materials
Reduced drop rates of destination materials from some destination activities

Collections
Includes any weapon, armor piece, Ghost Shell, ship, Sparrow, emblem, or shader players have earned since Warmind's release on May 8
Except for Year 2 legendary armor and weapons with random rolls, all items can be reacquired through Collections, for a fee
The cost to reacquire an item scales based on what the item dismantles into

Three of Coins
Three of Coins have been deprecated
Converted into "Faded Cards"
Can be safely discarded for Legendary Shards

Eververse
Prismatic Matrix Schedule
The Prismatic Matrix is now scheduled out for the full season
The Prismatic Facet (free weekly account roll) is now obtained via a special Tier 1 Eververse bounty, rather than being tied to leveling, which can be acquired for 250 Glimmer and that does not require an Eververse Bounty Note
This permits players at all levels to obtain their free weekly roll

Eververse Bounties
Each Seasonal Bright Engram now grants one Bounty Note
These Bounty Notes can be exchanged for a variety of weekly Eververse Bounties, which come in three tiers:
Tier 1: Cost = 1 Eververse Bounty Note: Rewards 20 Bright Dust
Tier 2: Cost = 3 Eververse Bounty Note: Rewards 70 Bright Dust
Tier 3: Cost = 6 Eververse Bounty Note: Rewards 150 Bright Dust
Players can acquire as many Eververse bounties as they have Bounty Notes
Eververse bounties expire seven days after acquisition

Bright Dust Dismantle Yields
Bright Dust, which you gained from dismantling types of Eververse items, is now a fixed amount
Example: Shaders will always yield 10 Bright Dust

Bright Engram Updates
Reward probabilities are now displayed on bungie.net
Added new Legendary weapon ornaments to the Bright Engram
Added new Ghost Projection category to the Bright Engram
Weapon and armor mods are no longer available in Bright Engrams

Eververse Armor and Perks
With the addition of random perk rolls on armor, we have made some changes to how perks are applied to Eververse armor
Eververse armor acquired from non-deterministic sources (i.e., the Bright Engram) will include random perks
Eververse armor acquired from deterministic sources (i.e., the Prismatic Matrix or Bright Dust storefront) will have fixed perks

Leveling Rewards in Forsaken
Starting in Forsaken, you will no longer earn Bright Engrams each level until you reach the level cap
Players progressing through the campaigns will receive an Eververse gift at the end of each campaign once per class with a variety of items and some Bright Engrams included
This includes players who use a Character Boost
Once you reach the level cap, Bright Engrams will once again be awarded at the same rate as they are in the current game

General
Silver transaction history is now displayed on bungie.net
Bundles that have not been opened can be refunded for seven days after purchase
Gleaming Boons of the Vanguard and Crucible have been updated to drop the current season's items
To make room for bounties, Bright Dust offerings have been moved to the second page of Eververse

Clans
General
The Season 3 Clan Staff reward has been granted to all clans who hit max rank this season
Gambit now offers a clan engram when a fireteam from your clan wins a Gambit match

Season 4 Clan Progression
Clan experience is now earned by completing clan bounties available from Hawthorne
When a player reaches level 50, three new clan bounties become available

Guided Games
General
Players have the option reconnect to Guided Game activities if they encounter a disconnection from an active Guided Game

Technical
Audio
Adjusted ambient audio in the Tower

UI
Fixed an issue where having a certain number of unique items in the vault was causing items to not load
Fixed an issue where text would hitch on multiple screens when players are playing on a PlayStation Pro

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

1stGear posted:

i'll give you some loving lore

If you're new to Destiny or just haven't given a poo poo previously, you may be surprised to know that despite the naff in-game stories, the lore of Destiny is pretty expansive and deep. Unfortunately, its all scattered across Grimoire cards and Lore entries and tough to piece together. Here's help with that!

Myelin Games is the foremost Destiny lore YouTuber. His videos cover an expansive range of topics and he's clear and interesting with his speculation and explanations. Notably, he's good enough that Bungie actually hired him to put together a physical copy of the Grimoire. He just posted a timeline of the Destiny universe aimed at new players.

For completion's sake, I'll also link My_name_is_Byf. He's the other major Destiny lore YouTuber. At least among goons, he's not as well-liked as Myelin for his tendency to have meandering videos and poor speculation.

Destinypedia is the most complete wiki for Destiny. It includes lots of links and articles about lore as well as about actual game mechanics and items. Be warned that as of the API dump, people have started posting untagged spoilers for Forsaken, so be careful if you fall down a wiki hole.

Ishtar Collective is the entire Destiny 1 Grimoire as well as the Lore cards from Destiny 2, all searchable by topic and heavily cross-linked in a really slick interface. Its explanations aren't as thorough as Destinypedia's, but if you want to see the actual raw lore, this is the place to find it.

Also, goon General_Battuta aka Seth Dickinson is one of the writers for Bungie and worked on The Taken King and now Forsaken. He might be willing to answer questions, but don't be weird or creepy please.

Finally, if you only read one piece of Destiny lore, make it the Books of Sorrow. The Books were added in The Taken King and detail the rise of Oryx and the Hive. In addition to just being really well-written science-fantasy, they tell a lot about the philosophical underpinnings of the Darkness and include loads of potential foreshadowing. Read them, they're really good.

This is the best post this thread will ever contain. I have bookmarked it. Thanks friend.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Anyone else suddenly have 1000 silver? I never buy in-game currency and no idea where it came from.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chaitai posted:

So from everything I see, now is the time to get back into this game. I haven't played since CoO. Do I have to plow through all of Warmind before I can do the Forsaken stuff? If so, will I have to grind the Warmind stuff before I'll be useful in anything Forsaken?

No and ehhhh. Apparently doing heroic public events will gear you up just fine

Edit according to the discord

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Snuffman posted:

Anyone else suddenly have 1000 silver? I never buy in-game currency and no idea where it came from.

Yeah they gave everyone a free hit to try and get them to spend $$ on the new slot machine.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Idea for a RAID:

The Traveler is Silent Bob, he take human form and start attacking the players with a Gallahorn that shot Gallahorns, that shot Gallahorns rockets.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Yeah they gave everyone a free hit to try and get them to spend $$ on the new slot machine.

i did not get any free silver, and it is an old slot machine you don't need to spend money on

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

What are these heroic adventures the OP speaks of?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

Unsinkabear posted:

What are these heroic adventures the OP speaks of?

each planet gets one adventure in heroic mode per day, on the map, as a challenge

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
drat it took them a year but it sounds like they finally made Thaviks less terrible. Praise be to Bungie. (Lol shaders)

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Maybe it's level or campaign progress gated as I'm not seeing that yet.

Also wtf, not a one of you assholes mentioned there was another update to download. I could have been doing that in the background while I worked, but noooo. Now it's chewing up my preciously small daily window of no work and no wife.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I havent played since the egyptian dlc thing

is this game good now? should I reinstall?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Moola posted:

I havent played since the egyptian dlc thing

is this game good now? should I reinstall?

Maybe.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If you bought Forsaken yeah

It's never worth playing decrepit Destiny

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If you bought Forsaken yeah

It's never worth playing decrepit Destiny

Seriouspost, I was going to wait to buy Forsaken until I'm done with Warmind story or hit 30, whichever comes first. Is there some reason to rush and buy now?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Wait, I need ALL THAT poo poo INCLUDING MASTERWORK CORES just to do a simple infusion?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Anyone else feel like performance is kinda choppy since Forsaken? I feel like I've lost about 20fps just in the world.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Stupid question: if I don’t have a character past Warmind and I don’t want to use the character boost yet, is there any benefit to having Foreskin Forsaken?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

With BfA from Blizzard being a current dumpster fire of decisions Destiny 2's new poo poo is looking better and better. Plus no super grinds!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
:siren: I GOT A DAB EMOTE :siren:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
preorder cancelled

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Anyone else feel like performance is kinda choppy since Forsaken? I feel like I've lost about 20fps just in the world.

Yes, in a huge way. I got a new Gfx card right before the Foreskin patch dropped. For a brief moment I had buttery-smooth frames and then the patch brought me back to slightly choppy situational lag and I am Bummed.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So if I played Destiny 2 on release and lasted barely a month they've either solved or begun to solve the problems I had with it?: That endgame was absolutely dogshit and consisted of doing NOTHING but weekly milestones and once you did them you logged off, that gear had zero variance and so 'builds' didn't really exist beyond incredibly basic "slightly faster vs slightly more HP", and that classes felt extremely under-powered and had almost nothing outside of armor class to differentiate them?

Speaking of that last one what does it mean when it says things like "using void abilities"? I don't remember my Titan having literally any active abilities whatsoever outside of the Super and a kind of energy shield he could spawn for a few seconds to hide behind. Do characters have more active skills now?

I really did like the gunplay in Destiny 2 and (most) of the world they had, but actually progressing past a certain point became a complete chore and dull as poo poo.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Yes, in a huge way. I got a new Gfx card right before the Foreskin patch dropped. For a brief moment I had buttery-smooth frames and then the patch brought me back to slightly choppy situational lag and I am Bummed.

My 1080ti went from 60% usage at Destiny 2 launch to 90-95% now, and it even drops frames if I blow up a load of screebs. Something is definitely weird.

On the plus side cpu usage is even lower at 30% per core down from 50 or so. So I guess Bungie decided to put more tasks on the gpu side which makes sense since the console cpus are so poor.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I haven't played since a month after Warmind released but got near the powerlevel cap for that, how far behind am I going to be in Light level?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

The Jumpoff posted:

I haven't played since a month after Warmind released but got near the powerlevel cap for that, how far behind am I going to be in Light level?

Very, considering the new light level cap is 600

but also irrelevant considering the new level cap is 50

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

My 1080ti went from 60% usage at Destiny 2 launch to 90-95% now, and it even drops frames if I blow up a load of screebs. Something is definitely weird.

On the plus side cpu usage is even lower at 30% per core down from 50 or so. So I guess Bungie decided to put more tasks on the gpu side which makes sense since the console cpus are so poor.

okay, i'm not just losing my mind then

i think it was around the forsaken prepatch (maybe the patch right before) that my gpu performance started to slip

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

The Jumpoff posted:

You're not behind at all, because the new cap is 600 and nobody is even remotely close in any way at all.

Within 2 hours of playing, you'll be on par with people who spent the past month grinding.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
The Trickster is amazing :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, wow, the Spider's Wanted Bounties are absolute trash. Hope you have the name of every Lost Sector in the game memorized, otherwise you're going to be going to each one just to check the name, realize its not the one you want, and go back to a fast travel point to do it again.

Picked up a bounty that isn't in a Lost Sector? Cool, you're now waiting for the high-value target in an area to spawn. Better hope someone doesn't kill it before you find it!