Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

Just lol that anyone would willingly work for a game dev. Why yes I'd love to be treated like poo poo and paid half what I'm worth.

I quit the industry after leaving Carbine. So we do eventually learn, just takes us a while. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Pryce posted:

I quit the industry after leaving Carbine. So we do eventually learn, just takes us a while. :P

Me, I'm just some kind of masochist at this point.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Strategic Tea posted:

Just lol that anyone would willingly work for a game dev. Why yes I'd love to be treated like poo poo and paid half what I'm worth.

And yet it's really hard to break into the industry. A lot of my coworkers doing entry/low level dev work have gamedev degrees.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.
The irony of Wildstar is they actually nailed the really hard stuff: the dungeon and 20 man raid encounters were very well done, they had a bunch of cool classes with flexible skill trees, the netcode was good enough to support the telegraph-oriented combat system, and they managed to make the best housing system ever made. And everything else that should have been easy compared to all of that...was so bad it's hard to believe they could be in the same game.

Here are some more hilariously awful things not yet mentioned:

The PvP system had the best weapons in the game pre-raid. These weapons were ELO-locked. The PvP ELO system was highly deflationary because the first people who got the good PvP gear sold PvP ladder carries for these weapons (taking ELO points out of the system to people who would never pvp again), then quit out of games to lose rating to set up for the next carry. Whenever they quit out of games, it gave no/partial rating to the people they lost to, which was more ELO points out of the system. Our raid guild eventually all got up at 7 AM on a Saturday to win trade our way to the PvP weapons because actually getting the rating was essentially impossible if you didn't already have the items. People were selling carries in the 2v2 ladder because once you had the gear you could easily 1v2 anyone who didn't have it.

The 5 man veteran dungeons were some of the most fun I've had in an MMO. They were tuned to a great difficulty if you had a static group of solid players, with lots of tricks and skips (like the old vanilla wow dungeons) you needed to learn to beat the timed run requirements. This meant they were impossible to PUG, so it was terrible for almost everyone, but it was great fun if you had your static 5 man group! When the entire goon guild (granted, it may have been the alternate server goon guild) only had 6-8 people willing to even try the veteran dungeons, I can't imagine how awful the experience must have been for the average player. I don't think we saw challenging 5 man content in MMOs again until WoW did the mythic+ system... perhaps with good reason. However...

...Drops in dungeons and raids had randomized bonus stats. A fresh level 50 had the resources to have weapons/armor crafted that were better than almost any items that dropped in the veteran dungeons and 20 man raids because you could allocate the stats on crafted gear in any way you liked, and you could put even more stats than the item budget for a chance at failing the crafting attempt. So there was all this great dungeon and raid content, and it almost all dropped gear that was unusable by anyone who knew about crafted items (with the minuscule chance on some items that they would roll the right stats in the right ratios to be an upgrade... most of the gear we saw in the 20 man raid was unusable and I think I saw a half dozen dungeon drops that were actually good in 100+ runs).

Rogues(stalkers) could spec as tanks with ridiculously powerful self-heals, so if your group was good at dodging telegraphs you could just run through a 5 man dungeon pulling 3-4 packs at a time with 1 tank and no healers. This was really fun but it was also amazingly bad design because there were 2 other tank classes that required healers and all the encounters were tuned for 3 dps, not 4.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Philonius posted:

Yeah. It's amazing how many rose tinted glasses are involved with old school MMOs. They're doing something similar in FFXIV now, with the Eureka zone being a throwback to FFXI style gameplay. Noone likes it.

Eureka's Anemos zone was pretty bad, then they doubled down and made Eureka Pagos, which even the people who tolerated Anemos seemed to hate. I remember hearing the guy in charge was responsible for XIV 1.0 and I can't imagine why they thought it'd be a good idea to let him design the grind for the expansion's relic weapon.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Because relic weapon itself is a brainless grind.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Shy posted:

Because relic weapon itself is a brainless grind.

But a freeform one. At each step of the old relics there were usually different ways of getting the stuff you needed, so you could casually gain progress on your relic by just doing the content you enjoyed the most. For those steps that had fixed requirements (such as random drops from Fates) they at least served to populate old content, so newbies had people to play with.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I remember playing Wildstar in the Beta and later trying it out again after it went free to play. In both cases, I made a bunny girl, named her after deadly poison and then let her throw some sort of giant blade telekinetically at people. I think I reached something like level 10 before running out of steam and getting bored.

The only good thing Wildstar had going for it was bunny girls, and maybe hamsters? Too bad the rest was so bad. If they remake Wildstar as a singleplayer RPG I would come back to throw some more blades at people, though!

Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014

Despera posted:

My life is full of regrets but paying 60$ for wildstar is my greatest.

I don't regret it, it was disappointing, but it was a learning experience. Sad it never really panned out, I still think it had relatively fun combat and some really cool concepts, particularly housing. But that's life, guess I'll be happy with FFXIV.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Game was bad but not quite as bad as the threads made it sound. Not worth playing when WoW, FFXIV and etc were out there, though.

My personal dumb Wildstar story was accidentally blowing all my money because the icons for silver and platinum looked almost identical. I was going around buying mount decorations because the prices were a trivial few silver and they got recorded in a collection or something. So I go to a new zone and buy the first decoration and suddenly don't have any money for more. Turns out the price on this one was in platinum. So I had spent enough money to buy several months of subscription tokens on the left half of some saddlebags. Support wouldn't or couldn't reverse the transaction so that's how I stopped playing Wildstar.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SpaceDrake posted:

To be fair, Final Fantasy XIV did the same thing, but not only with a bigger name and budget behind it but also a lot more competence (as alluded to here). And frankly that's yet another problem Wildstar ran into: maybe it could've found a bit more of an audience of folks tired of WoW and looking for something Similar But Better In Their Opinions, but on top of its own bad decisions the game ran straight into the bonfire that was XIV's phoenix-like rebirth.

Also to be fair Wildstar was at least way better than launch FFXIV.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

The Moon Monster posted:

ya but wildstar lasted 4 years which was about the time it took to go from launch ff14 to ARR

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

A bar so low as to be underground.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

False, because at least FFXIV had the good decency not to charge monthly for the game after its release while Wildstar did. You'd have to have brain problems to keep paying for wildstar after launch.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Wildstar also went F2P. :v:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

False, because at least FFXIV had the good decency not to charge monthly for the game after its release while Wildstar did. You'd have to have brain problems to keep paying for wildstar after launch.

Wildstar went F2P with most of the things goons griped about being fixed in the span between launch > F2P.

(Note: They created a bunch of other obtuse player unfriendly poo poo in place of all that stuff tho lol).

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
They also botched the F2P launch worse than the initial launch.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Just imagine he's saying Wildstar instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYtjpIwamos

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Launch FFXIV never charged me at all. I got a "trial account" from my roommate's collector's addition that just ended up being a full account. You were supposed to have to pay to activate it for realsies with your first subscription, but after they removed the sub fee I tried logging in out of curiosity and it still worked perfectly fine. It was also fully compatible with the relaunch.

Of course when I was playing Wildstar the going rate in gold for sub tokens was pretty trivial so I had several saved up, but then I never used them because, you know, Wildstar.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I've played WoW off and on since 2005, but I've never enjoyed its PvP. I really liked PvP in WildStar for some reason. Telegraphs maybe. I leveled Stalker and Esper to 50 almost entirely through whatever they called their battlegrounds and had loads of fun.

I also enjoyed the PvE because Stalker tanks were hilariously overpowered. The endgame dungeons were pretty badass. I had a friend who played a DPS Warrior and my wife played a Healer Spellslinger (who could usually just DPS because I could heal myself) and we were the kings of poo poo Mountain.

I even liked the lore/story of the game. The lategame plots with Drusera and the creepy elf people were pretty intriguing.

All of this being true, I went back to WoW anyways because all of my friends resubscribed for Blackrock Foundry.

That's my WildStar story.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm still loling over Blizzard hiring the person responsible for Warplots in Wildstar and then copying it and calling it Warfronts in WoW and being surprised players don't like it.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I like it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shy posted:

I like it.

anyone who still plays wow ain’t got the best judgment.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
I did weapon smithing and quickly realized that while there was an RNG element to crafting it was still way better than dropped poo poo. I was one of the early 50s for whatever dumbass server we played, and made an absolute fortune selling stuff to cash-rich people from exploits. I had over a year of the subscription currency at some point, so I cancelled my sub and planned on just riding that out.

The content was interesting, especially reading breakdowns of abilities and strategies, but clearly unfinished. It was just so loving bad, unpolished and untuned. Endgame dungeons sprawling were vanilla-wow LBRS style affairs, and yet also had timed elements?? It was so monstrously unfun to do with random people, which meant that if nobody was around in my guild I was better off just logging out.

Eventually I did and just forgot about the game, lol.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
e: n/m

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 20, 2018

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

anyone who still plays wow ain’t got the best judgment.

uhhh don't you play old school everquest?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pidn2gi9nFg

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shy posted:

uhhh don't you play old school everquest?

:eyepop:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

no. i quit pretty quickly.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Speaking of fresh corpses: https://mmos.com/news/bless-korea-shutting-neowiz-committing-na-version

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Wow that looks like the most generic possible kMMO, I can't imagine how it immediately failed.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah theres there is great precedent with korean games crashing in their own market and then making it in the west, for example:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
warplots and warfronts seem really different, warfronts aren't even pvp

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Isn't this like the 4th market Bless has failed in lol

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Isn't this like the 4th market Bless has failed in lol

It is marginally popular in Japan, following a huge rework. That is the only kinda successful version of the game. English version is a mismanaged to hell and back (made EVEN WORSE after they announced an Xbone version that will be on Unreal Engine 4, which they kept saying was too expensive to do for the PC version) ghosttown and every other version is now dead.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

was bless the mmo were some dude had a giant meltdown on twitch?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

mike12345 posted:

was bless the mmo were some dude had a giant meltdown on twitch?

Which mmo wasn’t?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

BabyFur Denny posted:

Which mmo wasn’t?

I think I found it. Quite the thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLQo3Zv66mc

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

couldn't get more than a minute. crying over a video game lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch