Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A Strange Aeon posted:

Link? That sounds like fun reading, if it's about the animated series.

Here's the page with all of them: http://comicsalliance.com/tags/x-men-episode-guide. I think you'd have to do a bit of "load more articles"ing to get to episode one.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

And you didn't use that as an opportunity to say "Previously on Chris Sims guide to the X-men."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Did anyone else see the first episode of Titans? It's like poo poo out of an anus bad.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
no way

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm not watching that poo poo even illegally.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not watching that poo poo even illegally.

Aw come on, I’m gonna need someone to give me a new title for the forum when Halloween is over.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
To be more in depth, this is Titans:
  • Dick Grayson isn't as dark or as messed up as the original trailer implied. But, he is still is dark and edgy. The infamous "gently caress Batman" line isn't nearly as lovely in context, though. It kind of makes sense. But his habit of brutally beating people is extreme and intentionally bloody. Also, he feels less like Robin and more like a "hard-boiled detective with a tragic backstory who doesn't play by the rules." But, he's probably the best part of the pilot.
  • I can't tell if its the actress or the material, but Raven is cringe worthy in dealing with the whole "there is evil inside me." Also, they straight up fridge her mother in like 10 minutes. For the 12 other people who also read Raven (2016), they rip off the whole "Raven goes to live with her Christian aunt thing", but kind of ruined all the charm of it. Also, the affects on her soul self is so b-movie horror it hurts. Also, her plot revolves around coincidences "My soul self made me dream of Grayson, the sign changed to Detroit while buying bus tickets so I went there, and I freaked out and threw a rock at a car to stop being kidnapped at got sent to Grayson's precinct." It's really lazy and crappy and cringe-worthy.
  • Starfire is terrible. Her plot revolves around amnesia and she goes around killing people like it ain't no thing. If you like the cartoon, you will not recognize her. But, she's kind of like her early comic appearances, from what I heard, where she wonders why they just don't kill their foes. But it's confusing and I can't tell if she is an alien or something else because nothing makes sense right now. She's been killing Russian mobsters to find Raven...for some reason. But then she got into a car accident and doesn't remember anything, but can still fight and use her powers? And then murders all the Russian mobsters coming after her after finding out where Raven is...except that information should be out of date because she literally just moved to Detroit that very day. Like, some of it is mystery, but some of it just feels unnecessarily confusing, under explained, and annoying just for the sake of building intrigue.
  • Beast Boy is only in for five minutes to steal some video games a tiger. Because its easier to steal video games as a tiger...apparently?
  • Overall, I watched it going "this is so bad", but I might watch another episode? I got a year's subscription to DCU so why not? But boy is everything else better on it. Like the Teen Titans TV show. Titans feels like a crappy CW show that's trying really hard to be dark, deep, and complex. Also, the show could stand to do a joke that isn't an action movie one-liner.

Also, I recently rewatched "Go!" from the original Teen Titans cartoon and it manages to tell a compelling Teen Titans origin in 23 minutes with better characterization and intrigue.

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 13, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Starfire started off as basically sexy Conan the Barbarian in Space, right?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

In your opinion, having watched the show, should Mr Pool suck it?

Guy Goodbody posted:

From my recollection, not really, but it has been some time since I read the start of New Teen Titans so I'd need to check. She might have! :shrug:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

From my recollection, not really, but it has been some time since I read the start of New Teen Titans so I'd need to check. She might have! :shrug:

I mean pre-Teen Titans

Covok
May 27, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

I was reading the original Marv Wolfman stuff a couple weeks ago, but all I really remember is Cyborg is mad at literally everything and Deathstroke's son is the biggest loser ever.

From Waiting For Trade

Wheat Loaf posted:

In your opinion, having watched the show, should Mr Pool suck it?

What?

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 13, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Covok posted:

Also, I recently rewatched "Go!" from the original Teen Titans cartoon and it manages to tell a compelling Teen Titans origin in 23 minutes with better characterization and intrigue.

Oh this reminds me, i watched go to the movies the other night and it was really good

E: lmao looks like i pissed off the nazis

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

I mean pre-Teen Titans

yea Starfire started out as basically just 'space barbarian queen' and then 'space barbarian queen who's actually kinda a sweetheart' and then 'valley girl space barbarian queen' depending on the era.

Covok
May 27, 2013

site posted:

Oh this reminds me, i watched go to the movies the other night and it was really good

E: lmao looks like i pissed off the nazis

I didn't see it yet, but I saw these two scenes and now I kind of want to see the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH6IBef79HA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhgOJoL8S6I

"I think his dad is a cop: run!"

Also, I thought you did it to yourself. Isn't it normally redtext when someone alters your avatar? I thought it was a clever joke you were doing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Covok posted:

I didn't see it yet, but I saw these two scenes and now I kind of want to see the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH6IBef79HA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhgOJoL8S6I

"I think his dad is a cop: run!"

Also, I thought you did it to yourself. Isn't it normally redtext when someone alters your avatar? I thought it was a clever joke you were doing.

There's a bunch of good songs, I'd highly recommend

And nope, they cropped out the anime girl and tbh I'm not sure what the cornfield is a reference to

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I mean pre-Teen Titans

That Starfire was a completely separate character from the Teen Titans character, and she was more of a sword-and-sorcery/space opera character. It didn't take place in the DCU and there were no other familiar characters in her few stories.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Basically DCU did a promo last week where they played the clip from Deadpool 2 where Deadpool goes, "You're so dark! Are you sure you are't from the DC universe?" then ran footage from the Titans trailer and finished up with a title card that said, "Suck it, Mr Pool." I'm still not entirely sure what the message was.

Covok
May 27, 2013

site posted:

There's a bunch of good songs, I'd highly recommend

And nope, they cropped out the anime girl and tbh I'm not sure what the cornfield is a reference to

It's almost 100% a reference to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_Good_Life_(The_Twilight_Zone)

And I bet. I might watch the movie when it goes up on DCU since I am a cheap bastard with student loans in our glorious cyberpunk future where I work 50+ hour weeks to pay off crippling loans I got to get a job that actually provides a livable wage while also having to hide in the closet out of fear of being fired for being bi and maybe not cis.

Not sure why I typed all that just now. Think I was venting.

Anyway, yeah, probably go see that movie sometime. I loved the original 2003 series, but haven't watched a lot of the 2016 series. But some of the cips I've seen of it made me laugh. Also, I heard the Challengers of the Unknown get turned into punching bags for some reason.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Basically DCU did a promo last week where they played the clip from Deadpool 2 where Deadpool goes, "You're so dark! Are you sure you are't from the DC universe?" then ran footage from the Titans trailer and finished up with a title card that said, "Suck it, Mr Pool." I'm still not entirely sure what the message was.

Yeah, DC's marketing isn't the smartest. My guess was the message was "yeah, we're dark: deal with it" but kind of didn't get that trailer is god awful. So, the effect is they look like that teenage who gets criticized on their deviant art so they proudly link to their MS Paint Big Titted anime fanart and go "see what my art degree got me!" with no self-awareness.

Though, this does remind of their cool trailer for the Harley Quinn cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZi4zsBVGmo

Arguably a better dig at Deadpool. "And unlike that Deadpool cartoon, it's actually coming out!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Wheat Loaf posted:

yea I think the 'joke' was 'yea we ARE dark' because they thought the Deadpool joke was the person he was saying it to...wasn't actually dark? Like, that's the only way that chain seems to work to me, because otherwise it's just 'haha yea we ARE as over the top tryhard as you said, YOU BITCH'.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Covok posted:

It's almost 100% a reference to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_Good_Life_(The_Twilight_Zone)

And I bet. I might watch the movie when it goes up on DCU since I am a cheap bastard with student loans in our glorious cyberpunk future where I work 50+ hour weeks to pay off crippling loans I got to get a job that actually provides a livable wage while also having to hide in the closet out of fear of being fired for being bi and maybe not cis.

Anyway, yeah, probably go see that movie sometime. I loved the original 2003 series, but haven't watched a lot of the 2016 series. But some of the cips I've seen of it made me laugh. Also, I heard the Challengers of the Unknown get turned into punching bags for some reason.

My friend, embrace the fact that denying yourself media because you are poor is a capitalist indoctrinated commandment and pirate that poo poo

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

That Starfire was a completely separate character from the Teen Titans character, and she was more of a sword-and-sorcery/space opera character. It didn't take place in the DCU and there were no other familiar characters in her few stories.

Starfire was the first DC heroine to receive her own title since Supergirl in 1972. Her series lasted only eight issues. According to this original series, Starfire's world was long ago involved in a civil war between two castes: the warrior-priests and the Lightning Lords (scientists). Unable to prevail upon each other alone, each caste summoned an alien race to serve their cause. The warrior-priests summoned the Mygorg and the Lightning Lords the Yorgs. The two alien races were hereditary enemies and indeed resumed their war in their new planet. However, both turned the tables on their summoners and intended masters by enslaving them. The world was divided among the two, Mygorg and Yorg, which continued to war against each other. The original human-like inhabitants continued to survive in slavery. Starfire was born as the daughter of two slaves of different skin color. Her father was "yellow" and her mother "white". Both slaves belonged to the Mygorg. Sookarooth, King of the Mygorg took notice of the young girl of mixed heritage and beautiful appearance. He arranged for her to be raised free and educated in his own palace, Castle Mollachon.[1]

When Starfire reached her eighteenth birthday, Sookarooth announced her to be his future mate. She fled in disgust but was pursued by the royal forces. She was saved by Dagan, a warrior-priest. The two became lovers and Dagan trained her as a warrior. Starfire became skilled in swordsmanship, archery, tracking, and other skills typical to a warrior-priest. Their shared life ended when Dagan was captured by Sookarooth. He was at first tortured and then executed. A vengeful Starfire returned to Castle Mollachon and raised its slaves in revolt. She slew Sookareth herself and then vowed to free her people from slavery. The following issues had Starfire recruiting additional followers to her side and seeking more effective weapons against the Mygorg, the Yorg, and a number of hostile local factions. The series ended before a resolution could be reached.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The previous Starfire was a mixed-race escaped slave who was trying to free all the slaves and murder the ruling class.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea and, ya know, now she drinks mustard

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I stan Starfire

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like Starfire as a character still but it is kinda hilarious how she went from 'murdering oppressors because she's a mixed race barbarian queen' to, at best, 'a valley girl who can beat rear end and shoot energy bolts'.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

The Starfire from the sword n sorcery comic isn't the same character as the Tamaranean princess from Teen Titans.

In fact Koriandrs superhero name was from a Russian superhero (who also predated the sword n sorcery comic) the Titans encountered in their original comic before the New Teen Titans relaunch. If I'm remembering correctly, they even say this in NTT 1, or that 14 page preview inserted into a bunch of comics one month that came out before it. That dude became Red Star and shows up later in Wolfman/Perez NTT

And to be fair, the Starfire we know best did have kind of an alien barbarian edge, especially when they go into her origin with the Citadel and Gordanians.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 14, 2018

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Covok posted:

• Dick Grayson isn't as dark or as messed up as the original trailer implied. But, he is still is dark and edgy. The infamous "gently caress Batman" line isn't nearly as lovely in context, though. It kind of makes sense. But his habit of brutally beating people is extreme and intentionally bloody. Also, he feels less like Robin and more like a "hard-boiled detective with a tragic backstory who doesn't play by the rules." But, he's probably the best part of the pilot.
  • I can't tell if its the actress or the material, but Raven is cringe worthy in dealing with the whole "there is evil inside me." Also, they straight up fridge her mother in like 10 minutes. For the 12 other people who also read Raven (2016), they rip off the whole "Raven goes to live with her Christian aunt thing", but kind of ruined all the charm of it. Also, the affects on her soul self is so b-movie horror it hurts. Also, her plot revolves around coincidences "My soul self made me dream of Grayson, the sign changed to Detroit while buying bus tickets so I went there, and I freaked out and threw a rock at a car to stop being kidnapped at got sent to Grayson's precinct." It's really lazy and crappy and cringe-worthy.
  • Starfire is terrible. Her plot revolves around amnesia and she goes around killing people like it ain't no thing. If you like the cartoon, you will not recognize her. But, she's kind of like her early comic appearances, from what I heard, where she wonders why they just don't kill their foes. But it's confusing and I can't tell if she is an alien or something else because nothing makes sense right now. She's been killing Russian mobsters to find Raven...for some reason. But then she got into a car accident and doesn't remember anything, but can still fight and use her powers? And then murders all the Russian mobsters coming after her after finding out where Raven is...except that information should be out of date because she literally just moved to Detroit that very day. Like, some of it is mystery, but some of it just feels unnecessarily confusing, under explained, and annoying just for the sake of building intrigue.
  • Beast Boy is only in for five minutes to steal some video games a tiger. Because its easier to steal video games as a tiger...apparently?
  • Overall, I watched it going "this is so bad", but I might watch another episode? I got a year's subscription to DCU so why not? But boy is everything else better on it. Like the Teen Titans TV show. Titans feels like a crappy CW show that's trying really hard to be dark, deep, and complex. Also, the show could stand to do a joke that isn't an action movie one-liner.

Good write up, this well summarizes my feelings also. I didn't have a huge amount of exposure to the characters beyond TTG! and some general knowledge of them but it was difficult to figure out who this show would be for. It's way over the top dark and edgy for my tastes yet still way too on the nose other times.

Each characters' plot seemed to be an ambiguous mess, which I get it's the 1st episode so they're trying to build suspense but it seemed really crappily connected so I'm morbidly curious how they throw them all together. Robin was probably the most solid part of the episode but I wasn't clear if it was because the actor was decent or the others didn't have much to work with. I do hope the Beast Boy scene was intentionally supposed to be :lol: but it was still pretty dumb.

I will say it looks is well shot and pretty good for a production quality standpoint. And like you said, already paid for the sub so might as well see how this trash fire proceeds.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Meh. If Titans ends up on Netflix in Canada I will watch it out of curiosity but I am not going to go out of my way for it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm gonna do the DC sub just so I can poo poo on Titans.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I'm gonna do the DC sub just so I can poo poo on Titans.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is part of their plan. :v:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Titans needed to batch release the first 3 episodes or something because that premiere was... not good.There are long stretches of no dialog or narration where characters are simply entering drab rooms with no dramatic weight at all. In the premiere! These characters are too cool to be efficient in their storytelling. They'll have adventures and make sense when they feel like it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I disagree. Teen Titans 2003 was able to do very efficient storytelling with these characters. As matter of fact, many superheroes do very efficient storytelling. The original Marv Wolfman comics and very efficient. Titans could have easily done that.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Covok posted:

I disagree. Teen Titans 2003 was able to do very efficient storytelling with these characters. As matter of fact, many superheroes do very efficient storytelling. The original Marv Wolfman comics and very efficient. Titans could have easily done that.

These characters are too cool to be efficient in their storytelling *on Titans, the show in question.*

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Covok posted:

I imagine they had the Challengers be punching bags for the following reasons;

1) they're pretty obscure, which fits with one of the movie's recurring jokes, that everyone BUT the Teen Titans were getting movies

2) it's pretty easy to get the impression that the Challengers are lame if you haven't actually read any of their comics or The New Frontier

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

TwoPair posted:

Does Marvel even have 666 villains? Like to hit that number you'd have to go for some ridiculously deep cuts plus deep cuts from other universes plus a bunch of randomly evil versions of heroes. I imagine eventually writers would just be going... "ummm... how about another Dr. Doom... only he's from Earth 1000... his deal is that his cape is orange?"
I'm really confident that they have at least 666 villains, yeah. There are like a dozen people apiece in the Circus of Crime and the Death Throws (evil juggling stable), the version of Masters of Evil that took over Avengers Mansion was 20-30 people, Scourge killed (and the Hood resurrected) 20+ D-list villains, and that doesn't even start to cover the Spider-Man and X-Men villain groups, I could probably come up with a list of 666 Marvel supervillains in about an hour. This would be an incredibly dumb thing to do, but I probably could.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edge & Christian posted:

I'm really confident that they have at least 666 villains, yeah. There are like a dozen people apiece in the Circus of Crime and the Death Throws (evil juggling stable), the version of Masters of Evil that took over Avengers Mansion was 20-30 people, Scourge killed (and the Hood resurrected) 20+ D-list villains, and that doesn't even start to cover the Spider-Man and X-Men villain groups, I could probably come up with a list of 666 Marvel supervillains in about an hour. This would be an incredibly dumb thing to do, but I probably could.

I don't think you could.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I mean Green Goblin has to count as about 6 separate villains, a couple dozen Venoms, throw in some Electro's, and who knows how many people have worn the Shocker costume.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Madkal posted:

Who knows how many people have worn the Shocker costume.
Only one, to my knowledge. I think he might be the biggest/longest-tenured Spider-Man villain identities that hasn't had 3-10 versions of them. I mean there's technically even been more than one "Kingpin of New York".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Wikipedia has pages for over a hundred Marvel supervillain teams, let alone individual villains.

• Locked thread