Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I still can’t believe they traded Mack to Chicago, like lmao

It's amazing how that trade looks worse and worse (For the Raiders) with each passing game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's amazing how that trade looks worse and worse (For the Raiders) with each passing game.

To be fair you can't judge it until you see what they get out of those picks.

spoiler: a bunch of stuff that won't add up to half of Mack's value.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

hehe at you. Little smarty friend

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Yall, Tyrod might've been extremely bad.

https://twitter.com/FO_ScottKacsmar/status/1047222559832530947

For reference opponents were: Steelers, Saints and half Jets game>

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Mack has been even more dominant in Chicago than he was in Oakland. At least it seems that way

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Don't troll me

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Mack has been even more dominant in Chicago than he was in Oakland. At least it seems that way

People are just actually seeing him now

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

SHOAH NUFF posted:

(Raiders and Bears fans feel free to correct me, but) the biggest difference is the supporting cast. People may not realize it since the team was so otherwise so dire under Fox, but the Bears defense in past years hasn't been bad—Vic Fangio is a proven coordinator, and players like Akeem Hicks and Prince Amukamara are upper-tier quality starters. Adding Mack effectively turbocharged the defense, as now if teams want to deal with Mack, they often leave themselves vulnerable to Hicks or other players on the line. This simply wasn't the case in Oakland, where Mack was easier to contain thanks to a lack of talent elsewhere on the Raiders' defense.

If anything, what this season has shown is just how disastrous this trade was for Oakland. The Bears had the talent and coaching in place to make use of Mack right away, whereas the Raiders are now back at square one—because even if they somehow miraculously draft a player even close to matching Mack's talent and ability, they'd lack the overall defensive talent to make the most of a player of that caliber.

Mack isn't the kind of player you trade or let go—you do everything in your power to build your team around them. The Raiders utterly failed to do that in the years they had Mack, and now the Bears are reaping the benefits of Gruden's shortsightedness.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Mack isn't the kind of player you trade or let go—you do everything in your power to build your team around them. The Raiders utterly failed to do that in the years they had Mack, and now the Bears are reaping the benefits of Gruden's shortsightedness.

As much as Raiders insider Warcrimes swears this wasn't the case I wonder if there isn't something to the rumor that Mark Davis didn't have the cash on hand to put in escrow for Mack's contract.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Grittybeard posted:

As much as Raiders insider Warcrimes swears this wasn't the case I wonder if there isn't something to the rumor that Mark Davis didn't have the cash on hand to put in escrow for Mack's contract.

I mean it's possible, but the more likely answer is still probably that the Raiders and Gruden were incompetent and simply didn't realize how good Mack actually is and how much he was being held back by his sub-par supporting cast.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Pretty sure any bank will write out a loan for an NFL team.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Pretty sure any bank will write out a loan for an NFL team.

He's super leveraged already because of the Vegas stadium/paying the NFL to move goes the theory I believe.

But yeah it's hard to believe a bank would look at the money that will eventually be rolling into his pockets and not give him another 100 million or whatever on top of whatever he's already borrowing.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
I don't believe it had anything to do with the escrow poo poo.

Gruden expected Mack to leave a shitload of money on the table for no reason. He's not a defensive coach so he doesn't give a poo poo about that side of the ball anyway. Why pay top dollar for someone not in his "amazing offense" or some bullshit like that. Basically gently caress Gruden. I wasn't excited about him coming back but was like "eh, gently caress it why not?" until this happened. He's tearing it down and "rebuilding" for Vegas like a bitchmade coach buying himself extra time to be lovely at his job.

And Mack just seems "better" probably due to the spotlight put on the situation because of the trade. Dude was DPOY in 2016 and just a monster every year in the league so far. He might end up with some better numbers now since he has better teammates and a real coordinator though.

RIP AFC West being 4/4 with quarterback murder machines

I guarantee that if McKenzie were still in charge, Mack would still be a Raider. Not defending Reggie though, he had 1 good draft but otherwise has hosed the franchise hard with whiffing on every other pick for many years.

Black Sunshine fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 3, 2018

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

I think this past year's draft will rank as a good one, and they desperately need it to

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
The few draft articles I've seen have said this year's draft is all pass rushers and wide receivers. I bet the Raiders still blow it.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

No Irish Need Imply posted:

The few draft articles I've seen have said this year's draft is all pass rushers and wide receivers. I bet the Raiders still blow it.

This last class was supposed to be loaded with star 3 down backs. Imagine the busts this year.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Play posted:

I don't think people expected Keenum to be as bad as he was either

i'll have you know that I expected him to be every bit this bad and more! :colbert:

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

How many 1st round picks land a player of Mack's caliber each year? Or each decade? Not loving many and I'm so glad he's no longer facing the Chiefs twice a year.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Someone past the tweet of Gruden doing his best Trump impression in an interview, where he says "I want players that want to be here, and Mack obviously didn't want to be here".

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

I think the feeling was that Mack was gonna do what Bell did, so they figured they'd trade him when they had the most leverage

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

That guy's disappearing act after the Raiders completely poo poo the bed is :perfect:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

The Raiders record is not indicative of the talent in the team and I expect warcrimes to be back soon

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Blitz7x posted:

The Raiders record is not indicative of the talent in the team and I expect warcrimes to be back soon

I mean, offensively they're a good team even if they turn the ball over in the red zone a bunch. But their defense is a pretty sorry lot without Mack. They have the worst pressure rate of anybody in the league right now and it's not like their back 7 is good enough to make up for their lack of pass rush. They also can't stop the run worth anything either.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Raiders would be 0-4 coming off a loss at home to the Browns if not for some “the NFL is scripted” level bad officiating. Maybe that win, however ugly, will be the spark they needed. But it doesn’t exactly scream “this team is gonna be good any day now!”

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Fat Jesus posted:

How many 1st round picks land a player of Mack's caliber each year? Or each decade? Not loving many and I'm so glad he's no longer facing the Chiefs twice a year.

In a re-draft, a player like Mack usually goes #1 overall or behind whatever franchise QB was in that draft. He is a top 3 player at the second most valuable position.

Player of Mack's caliber (perennial Pro Bowler/occasionally DPOY/OPOY candidate) comes around every other year, about. It is almost impossible that the Raiders will get another player of his caliber, even if you add up the value of the draft picks.

There is something to be said about the value of two first round contracts vs. paying a guy $140 million though.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Docjowles posted:

The Raiders would be 0-4 coming off a loss at home to the Browns if not for some “the NFL is scripted” level bad officiating. Maybe that win, however ugly, will be the spark they needed. But it doesn’t exactly scream “this team is gonna be good any day now!”

At the same time, they made the Rams look below average for three quarters, blew late game leads on the road at Denver and Miami, and put 45 points / 450 passing yards against a pretty drat good Browns defense. I'm not saying that they're good (they're not), but they're second in the league in offense and have much better coaches than last year

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Slowpoke! posted:

In a re-draft, a player like Mack usually goes #1 overall or behind whatever franchise QB was in that draft. He is a top 3 player at the second most valuable position.

For Mack's draft in particular, the QBs are Carr and Bortles, so Mack would probably go #1, or #2 behind Aaron Donald.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Mack should have been well paid and built around in a far away place where the Packers only have to see him once every 4 years. gently caress the Raiders and gently caress Gruden.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Just teach Aaron Rodgers to flop and you neutralize Mack.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Fenrir posted:

Mack should have been well paid and built around in a far away place where the Packers only have to see him once every 4 years. gently caress the Raiders and gently caress Gruden.

Agreed.

Mack was never really a problem for the Chargers and the Raiders were bad with him. But he terrorized other AFC QBs pretty well. I wish he was still in Oakland draining their salary cap

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

a neat cape posted:

Mack was never really a problem for the Chargers

Why bother putting in full effort against a team whose roster is all on IR by November?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Zerilan posted:

Why bother putting in full effort against a team whose roster is all on IR by November?

All except Rivers, who Mack sacked all of once in his entire career

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

a neat cape posted:

All except Rivers, who Mack sacked all of once in his entire career

That's kinda a crazy stat

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Rivers is really good at getting rid of the ball quickly so it makes sense.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

weird Asian candy posted:

That's kinda a crazy stat

Rivers gets the ball out quick but with the bad OLs we've had over the years, him only having one sack against Rivers is surprising.

Von Miller, by comparison, has sacked Rivers 15 times

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Yall, Tyrod might've been extremely bad.

https://twitter.com/FO_ScottKacsmar/status/1047222559832530947

For reference opponents were: Steelers, Saints and half Jets game>

That's hilariously stark, especially with Mayfield being a goddamn rookie.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Rivers is really good at getting rid of the ball quickly so it makes sense.

Yes, but...

a neat cape posted:

What a huge and weird disparity.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/pauldehnerjr/status/1047521391891898368

https://twitter.com/Kat_Terrell/status/1047519996862259201

Marvin and Tez have a pretty weird relationship

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

a neat cape posted:

:feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

sean10mm posted:

That's hilariously stark, especially with Mayfield being a goddamn rookie.

Baker is so drat good.

• Locked thread