Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
It took our scientists that long to invent a cage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yes. It's like the middle of day 2 and they just now got it figured out. You can thank guys like Cockler or Honky Dong. I'm more of a hands-off commander.

:siren:ALIENS DETECTED:siren:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Pull the trigger on civic project

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Im ready to get murdered as an agent

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I remember I was inexplicably awesome as an agent last run. Put me back in, so that I can disappoint you horribly.

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Yes. It's like the middle of day 2 and they just now got it figured out. You can thank guys like Cockler or Honky Dong. I'm more of a hands-off commander.

:siren:ALIENS DETECTED:siren:

https://youtu.be/WN2nkK5pip0

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Investigation -- Civic Project:
Owner: Psyke. Type: Slums.
S1: Jose, Big Beef City, MrQwerty, The Protagonist, The Cubelodyte, Luvcow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpL-FwLRiXU

It's a moderate sized, split usage dump. Half apartments, half farm of some kind.
Slums are weird, they're outside the climate control of the real city, and are basically relics from the old world before there were aliens or spaceships.

Anyway I have beef walk around the corner and he's already hosed. There's FOUR of those snakes and he is too puny to hold grenades, and he's too lovely to shoot them all.

He's able to back away slowly and not get caught. Yet. Jose steps in.
https://i.imgur.com/tJrSayq.gifv
Good, but not good enough. The way they've been fighting this game, even one snake can easily kill a rookie, and they're mean enough to escape stun gas without getting sleepy. The only reason Taint lived was because he's an unbreakable terminator with stats that blow anyone else on the team out of the water. I have Jose take a couple shots, the thing runs away.
https://i.imgur.com/kTvX6Nw.gifv
I dunno if it's better to be aggressive and kill them before they can kill us, but I don't know that only 4 snakes is the entire contingent. Our guys have low reactions still, it might be fast enough to come back and bite...

https://i.imgur.com/qaFsjQD.gifv
Yeah this ain't gonna be no clean sweep. Cube gets attacked but Luv pulls the save before there's any wounds. He steps around the corner and finds himself surrounded by the weird embryo things. First time I seen them I thought they would be like grasshoppers and attack, but those aren't legs they're like glued to the ground.

So we got at least three more of those snakes and a pink guy in the upper level. I don't really think we can pull off long range lobs yet so I have Qwerty run up and kill the other snake. Then another one. And there's still three more. I'm starting to get the feeling that missions will be much harder than last time.
https://i.imgur.com/qaFsjQD.gifv

Protag takes out the two closer ones. Not sure how it's gonna go with that last one. Too far to get to, but too close to be safe. We're burning thru grenades fast.
https://i.imgur.com/YGCBh35.gifv
It tries to get us but we're good enough to take it down. At least one pink left.
https://i.imgur.com/8WJYdLk.gifv

Jose catches yet another one:
https://i.imgur.com/eoEh9sn.gifv
Then, in an unheard-of level of amazing competency
https://i.imgur.com/6OUXvSs.gifv
So this blue guy comes out thinkin' he's gonna be tough. Jose & Qwerty tag team him. BUT! A shitload of aliens come leaping out with an egg hatching sound effect and attack Jose. Qwerty & Beef kill BOTH of them MID ATTACK, saving Jose's life. loving awesome. We gotta watch out for more of those tho.

Jose catches up to the pink guy, who's panicking. Wraps it up.
https://i.imgur.com/ykw4G6X.gifv

HWC & Akratic are on the list. We've hit every building Psyke has, and they're so far the only ones with infiltration. And it keeps going up, but again, the graph is delayed. So,

What do we do:
  1. Investigate Psyke:
    a) Civic Project. Slum.
    b) Chronos Block. Slum.
    c) Necronomicon Mansions. Slum.
  2. Buy some cars or something
  3. Some other thing, write it in
  4. Don't do poo poo, just ⏩ till the next interesting event

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Also on the way home Zen saw a cultist driving around and shot missiles, but completely missed everything and caused zero damage.

E: I tracked it afterwards, it was a taxi and they went to one of the power stations that run the city :tinfoil:

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 4, 2018

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
>>Turn the police against Psyke

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

In as whatever needs a name right now. Also vote to sell off the ground-based car which is utterly useless and buy more explosive auto cannon ammo.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
uh, the car has style

you wanna be an interceptor of some kind or an engineer? Those two got the least goons in.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Interceptor. Packing Retribution missiles if possible.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lol holy poo poo

Calling a vote of the other agents as to what we should do next, we've been through some tough poo poo already and as a squad leader I want some input

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 4, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

reignofevil posted:

>>Turn the police against Psyke

They already appear to be in an open war. The cops already tried physically blowing up one of their bases, I just didn't catch it on screen.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Interceptor. Packing Retribution missiles if possible.

Interceptor-interceptor, or one of the cars? We can afford one more actual interceptor but it'll take 3/4 of our funds, so maybe we'd need to raid just in case. Don't wanna go bankrupt on week1. No other vehicle available can fit a retribution.

e: poor junk. You're in the next mission buddy.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I'll take a car. Since they can't carry Retributions, go with whatever weapons you think work best.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Jesus, thanks Luv. Beer's on me.

Is Civic Project next to the other two Psyke slums? If so let's roll out there.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I'll take a car. Since they can't carry Retributions, go with whatever weapons you think work best.

in. prob do a missile/laser combo for now

The Cubelodyte posted:

Jesus, thanks Luv. Beer's on me.

Is Civic Project next to the other two Psyke slums? If so let's roll out there.

Yeah theyre all packed in together. we just came from there

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

MrQwerty posted:

Lol holy poo poo

Calling a vote of the other agents as to what we should do next, we've been through some tough poo poo already and as a squad leader I want some input

I really think, and I just can't stress this emphatically enough, but I think we should go frag more aliens and alien lovers

Also what the hell are you packing I want one

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Lol you have the exact same loadout. Armor + medkit, machine gun, extra mag, smoke, stun, & frag grenade. Beef got the same except only a smoke grenade, only a pistol, and the mind amp for brainwave attacks. He gunslinged the gently caress outta those two.

That's another thing about this game. Agents tend to have a meteoric rise because when you successfully kill you get better and better stats, that make it easier to kill. Then you get slammed into a wall when the aliens change up their own stats or come out with altogether new poo poo, so I usually try to make sure low level guys get in each mission, and a couple higher levels to help carry them if it gets rough. Maybe I'll have the lower guys start stomping on eggs and gestating embryos and stuff.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
drat, I got some grinding to do.

also why is it that ~retro~ is so drat popular but nobody ever makes a game that looks like this anymore

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

*A hastily scrawled note on a torn bit of pizza box on the break room fridge*

BREAKTHROUGHS MADE IN BODY PART ENLARGEMENT! INQUIRE WITH BIOLOGY DEPARTMEMT, VOLUNTEERS WANTED.

...STILL WORKING ON BEING ABLE TO CONTROL WHICH PART GETS BIGGER.

P.S.: VOLUNTEERS GET FREE DISCOUNTED BEER "BEER." I DRANK ALL THE "BEVERAGES" ARLAEDY BUT I'M STILL TOTALLY COOL TO DO SRUGERY AND USE A SLCALPE AND poo poo, FOR REal.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 4, 2018

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

drat, I did always feel insecure about the size of my Pituitary gland!

E: and how much for beautifying my parathyroid glands?

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 4, 2018

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Necronomicon Mansions are where we're going because this alien threat has to be eliminated

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
:argh: if only my brain hadn't been so soft, I'd be on the front lines where I belong! It's hard hearing about all the action I'm missing, mostly on account of not being able to see anymore.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

Necronomicon Mansions are where we're going because this alien threat has to be eliminated

Agreed.

Also hand me a wrench.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Dong Quixote posted:

:argh: if only my brain hadn't been so soft, I'd be on the front lines where I belong! It's hard hearing about all the action I'm missing, mostly on account of not being able to see anymore.

It's hard, but so is carbonized alien dong, Quixote.

Is that good for your dick stuff honky dong?

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 4, 2018

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
i got my first kill!

:dance:

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i always choose necronomicon mansions if that's a choice

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The only reason Taint lived was because he's an unbreakable terminator with stats that blow anyone else on the team out of the water.

0010110?

101100010!!

:getin:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Engineering fires up the molecular forges or w/e and starts building the modules right away. According to my calculations it takes 10.5 hours to build one.

bigger jobs please, or we'll never get to have the star wars drinking game marathon. cncs do all the work anyway

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think we should wait for an event, for some reason i have a feeling that our next excursion will not go so well

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Junk posted:

also why is it that ~retro~ is so drat popular but nobody ever makes a game that looks like this anymore

I dunno. This wasn't the only game like it either, back then there were a fuckload of games put together in a similar way.

---

Investigating Necronomicon again is winning, I'm sure no possible bad thing can come from a statement like that. Other votes were just give it time or scope out the civic project one more time. Unless something changes while I'm prepping stuff we'll send all the noobs there soon.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Did you fix the roof

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Junk posted:

Brigador.

Also because its easier to make a low effort sidescroller like shovel knight. A lot of the "retro" crap these days is just codeword for lazy.

Dont Touch ME fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 4, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Sekenr posted:

Did you fix the roof

Some dudes broke the front and back doors off, as well as the side window, and stole all my ladders and tools and other stuff including some water pipes & guitar. So no.

Psyke is still neutral but if we keep pissing them off they'll eventually go rage.

Their other two buildings are directly next to where we are now.

Investigate more, or come home & wait for the next decision?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Go home. We'll be back for Psyke and with bigger booms.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

reignofevil posted:

Go home. We'll be back for Psyke and with bigger booms.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://i.imgur.com/RntTBGg.gifv

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:ghost: Man WTF?!

Didn't even get any XCOM groupy action...