Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best?
Kane
Seth
Kane
Frank Klepacki
An Almost-Dead Grenadier
Pistol-Armed Civilian
View Results

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
The only Command and Conquer I ever played was...well..:blush:...Command and Conquer 64, which is an atrocious attempt to remake this game on a 16 MB cartridge.

Watching this is an interesting experience for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I know playing at a high resolution makes things more convenient because you can see the whole map, but I'm just not used to C&C sprites looking as tiny as they do here and it's really weirding me out. I'm not necessarily saying you should play at 640x480 or anything like that (I probably would, but I'm also a moron), just making an observation.

Also, Frank Klepacki is a loving legend and the music in this game is perfect.

edit:

Patter Song posted:

The only Command and Conquer I ever played was...well..:blush:...Command and Conquer 64, which is an atrocious attempt to remake this game on a 16 MB cartridge.
But everything is in 3D and you're using the analog stick! That means it's better than the Fony GreyStation version! (something they actually said in Nintendo Official Magazine UK at the time -- no, of course they never mentioned the PC version's existence)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 28, 2018

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Winner winner chicken dinner

They never get a unit picture, you can't build them, their health and damage are incredibly low, but "Technicians", as they are called, reveal NO LOS.

You get them at random when you sell a building or when a building is destroyed. Yeah, randomly.

They also have the most amazing sounding guns on planet earth.... and literally explode when they die

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Doc M posted:

Also, Frank Klepacki is a loving legend and the music in this game is perfect.
Amen. There's only one kind of video game music I listen to outside of a game, and that's Frank Klepacki.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
One thing I remember about C&C is that the unit data was literally stored in a .txt file that you could open up and change pretty easily. Was much easier to beat the game when all the minigunners were bumped up to maximum damage.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

sullat posted:

One thing I remember about C&C is that the unit data was literally stored in a .txt file that you could open up and change pretty easily. Was much easier to beat the game when all the minigunners were bumped up to maximum damage.
I loved when 90s PC games would do this. Carmageddon was another one, and it was fun messing around with damage values or time bonuses or just breaking the game's physics. :allears:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

EclecticTastes posted:

The soundtrack is one of the strongest points in favor of C&C being the best drat RTS series ever. Frank Klepacki is a goddamn musical genius, and he managed to top himself with each successive game he worked on, until he reached absolute perfection with RA2 and just maintained that quality for the remainder.

Fight, Win, Prevail is the sort of track that's just instantly recognizable and iconic, and if there had been awards for video game music at the time, I've no doubt he'd have gotten at least a nomination.

Name: Frank Klepacki
Aliases: The Big F, K-Note, Father Sound
Affiliation: Frank works for no one but himself
Voiced/Played by: Unknown

Who is Frank Klepacki? Very little evidence, other than his musical entries in the game, supports the theory that Mr. Klepacki, if that is his real name, has ever existed on planet Earth. Rumours have made the rounds on the internet that he is simply a Tommy Tallarico expy, or an even wilder theory that the music was created during a darker period of time in Koji Kondo's life.

[VIDEO REDACTED]
A young Frank Klepacki on [REDACTED], or simply a hoax video?

Whatever the case may be, he is credited for Original Soundtrack for Command and Conquer (Tiberian Dawn).

More to follow at a later date...

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Patter Song posted:

I too had C&C1 on N64, and yeah, it was definitely an experience, double so when I eventually played the PC original and saw the FMVs actually, well, move and whatnot. And the far superior music quality goes without saying.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Edit: Whoops sorry.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 28, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Lets try not to spoil any weird/crazy things that may or may not come up ya?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lets try not to spoil any weird/crazy things that may or may not come up ya?

Oh, sorry, I wasn't sure if a skirmish map that I thought was in this one, but it turns out is in RA, was a spoiler.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
My first C&C was RA2, so eagerly awaiting you getting there and actually getting through the campaign, which younger me was never too interested in. Younger me was too busy building defensive structures around the edge of the map to kill an easy AI, or building up a far too large force of top level units to smash the garbage that said AIs would construct.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Name: Frank Klepacki
Aliases: The Big F, K-Note, Father Sound
Affiliation: Frank works for no one but himself
Voiced/Played by: Unknown

Who is Frank Klepacki? Very little evidence, other than his musical entries in the game, supports the theory that Mr. Klepacki, if that is his real name, has ever existed on planet Earth. Rumours have made the rounds on the internet that he is simply a Tommy Tallarico expy, or an even wilder theory that the music was created during a darker period of time in Koji Kondo's life.

[VIDEO REDACTED]
A young Frank Klepacki on [REDACTED], or simply a hoax video?

Whatever the case may be, he is credited for Original Soundtrack for Command and Conquer (Tiberian Dawn).

More to follow at a later date...
What I've got here might be the best possible Frank Klepacki music video to post right now, considering both the spoiler policy and the time of year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bccxgkgdvEo

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh god. That first medium tank is a monster I'll never forget, I think the first time I played this mission it came out of nowhere and ran everybody over in one swoop. It needs to be emphasised how close this was to happening during the video, those things move slightly faster than bazooka guys run iirc and the AI is good at tracking clumps of infantry.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Patter Song posted:

I mean... They tried, that's all I can say. There's only so much even Looking Glass Studios can do for the game on a controller and system like that.

It deserves some credit for swapping the buildings out with 3D models, but the game runs super slowly compared to the PC version, and that's actually a good thing, because the controls are not fun. The build menu was your standard console menu (you swapped between build and cursor mode by pressing the shoulder button, I think), but the cursor interface remained for commanding units, and trying to do cursor stuff with the N64 controller was not ideal (yes, lasso selection was there, and yes it's as bad as you think). It also included a few bonus missions accessible from the main menu, and these bonus missions are accessible now on the PC as well.

I didn't really have anything more than a vague idea of what I was missing either, since I had only managed to get the demo for the Mac before I got the N64 version and my parents decided that was good enough. The music and cutscenes are obviously much better on the PC version. Honestly, the N64 briefings had some effort put into them, but replacing the FMVs with powerpoints doesn't give you a great impression if you've played both versions.

It was good enough for me as a kid, I suppose, but having the benefit of hindsight and comparison now, it's really, really not great.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Crazy Achmed posted:

Oh god. That first medium tank is a monster I'll never forget, I think the first time I played this mission it came out of nowhere and ran everybody over in one swoop. It needs to be emphasised how close this was to happening during the video, those things move slightly faster than bazooka guys run iirc and the AI is good at tracking clumps of infantry.

I ragequit a few times when I was a kid after watching my glorious army get turned into a red paste.

If only I'd known about the "X" shortcut :(

(Hitting X with infantry selected forces them to scatter in random directions)

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

UED Special Ops posted:

Yeah, I remember way back in the day having a Technician just run around in the fog of war like that. Controlling a unit you can't even see was "fun" for all the 15 seconds it lived out there. Pretty sure they also have weird random delays between shots or some sort of invisible ammo counter that takes a while to refill, as I remember that sometimes telling them to attack does nothing/cause them to just run around instead.

As for campaigns, I'm in favor of fully running through one faction's campaign before changing over to the other.
The technician's handgun holds 10 shots and after that it needs to be reloaded. If they kill an enemy unit with their last shot, they won't reload until the next time they try to attack. Why this one unit and nothing else has this mechanic is never explained. 90's RTS people!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Asehujiko posted:

The technician's handgun holds 10 shots and after that it needs to be reloaded. If they kill an enemy unit with their last shot, they won't reload until the next time they try to attack. Why this one unit and nothing else has this mechanic is never explained. 90's RTS people!

Likely most units in some early version were intended to have some variant of that mechanic, but probably it got scrapped during dev, and then no one thought to remove it from the Mechanic because they were so irrelevant.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Patter Song posted:

That was how I got into the series too, actually. Think we rented it once, liked it and bought it, then from there we moved on to the rest of the series on PC as it came out for a while.

The fun thing is that I remember getting most of the games after Red Alert right around when they came out, so we must have gotten the N64 version like right as it became available, because Tiberian Sun was out just three months afterwards.

The N64 did have a really good startup sequence going for it, though. Neat way to replicate the original's installer, and a Commando blowing up the N64 logo never stops being funny.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

PurpleXVI posted:

Likely most units in some early version were intended to have some variant of that mechanic, but probably it got scrapped during dev, and then no one thought to remove it from the Mechanic because they were so irrelevant.

It might be that they deliberately left in the otherwise-cut mechanic for the completely irrelevant unit as a sort of tribute or reminder of the work that went in. Were it not for the Technician, we'd have never even known that reloading had crossed the devs' minds when they were developing C&C.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Reloading sounds like an interesting mechanic that probably just turned into what we got in terms of the various attack speeds of different units.

Now sprite animations to demonstrate said mechanic? That would've been loving dope but a) not easy to see given the size of infantry units and b) a whole lot of extra animation work that doesn't really add anything to the gameplay

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Chalk me down as another guy whose first exposure to this series was the N64 version. Which I was absolutely terrible at.

Really looking forward to when you reach Red Alert, which I have opinions regarding.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I ragequit a few times when I was a kid after watching my glorious army get turned into a red paste.

If only I'd known about the "X" shortcut :(

(Hitting X with infantry selected forces them to scatter in random directions)

It's such an important keybind in these games.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yep, I never knew about the X key for quite some time - was it even in the manual? Off the top of my head there's also a "force move" command that seems designed to let you order a tank to squish rather than fire on infantry, and a "guard" command that gives you something akin to an actual attack-move (tell your army to guard one tank/buggy, then drive that around and everyone will have a decent autoattack rather than standing around watching their mates standing six feet away get blown up by a grenadier)

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I know it'd be only for my convevience, but would you mind labeling the videos' urls with titles? Like so: NOD Mission 4. It'd be easier to know what you're linking to, and even though there are add-ons to certain browsers that allow one to see the title of video, I don't think Firefox has one.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Szurumbur posted:

I know it'd be only for my convevience, but would you mind labeling the videos' urls with titles? Like so: NOD Mission 4. It'd be easier to know what you're linking to, and even though there are add-ons to certain browsers that allow one to see the title of video, I don't think Firefox has one.

I just embed the videos in the post. I assumed most everyone would browse like that, but yeah I'll go through the previous posts and add a titled link under each video.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Crazy Achmed posted:

Yep, I never knew about the X key for quite some time - was it even in the manual? Off the top of my head there's also a "force move" command that seems designed to let you order a tank to squish rather than fire on infantry, and a "guard" command that gives you something akin to an actual attack-move (tell your army to guard one tank/buggy, then drive that around and everyone will have a decent autoattack rather than standing around watching their mates standing six feet away get blown up by a grenadier)

Yes, the manual does! Its at the back of the book, but before all the unit/building blurbs, and the tutorials.

Here's a direct copy-paste of the manual.

quote:

Advanced Game Controls
Once you’ve got a good grasp of the basic controls for your units, it’s time to move on to some of the more advanced controls that are offered in Command & Conquer. If you are going to pit your skills against other players, learning how to use these controls is a must.

Teams [CTRL+#, #, ALT+#]
As you’ve learned, you can select more than one unit at a time by left clicking on an empty space and dragging a box to select all of the units that you want to move at once. What if you want to select that particular team again in the middle of battle? Normally you’d have to band-box them all over again. This may mean scrolling the screen as well, since most of the time you are trying to do more than one thing at a time. This is way too slow. You can “save” all of the selected units into a team. To do this, first select all the units that you want in your team, then hold down the CTRL key, and hit any one of the number keys on your keyboard (1-9 or 0). This will make all the selected units part of that team. To instantly select that team, just hit the number key corresponding with that team, and they will all be selected.

Note that this will not re-center your view on that team, it will just select them so you can give them orders. If you want to see that group, hold down the ALT key and hit the number you’ve assigned for that team. This will center the view on that team. You can add members to an already existing team easily. First, select that team by hitting the appropriate number key. Then, hold down the SHIFT key and individually click on the units that you want to add to that team (sorry, you can’t band-box with this method). Once you’ve got them all highlighted, re-save the team again by holding down CTRL and hitting the number of the team. That’s it!

Guard Mode [‘G’ key]
Normally, units that you have stationed around will only respond if they’re fired upon, or an enemy unit gets close enough for them to fire on it. However, they won’t go looking for trouble—they’ll
only get involved if someone else starts it. If you want your units to pick fights with anyone that comes within range, select the units and hit the ‘G’ key on the keyboard. This will put all the selected units into guard mode. With this on, your units will be much more aggressive, moving toward any threats that come near them. Guard mode will continue to function on those units until you move them, or give them another order, such as stop or scatter.

Force Fire [CTRL + Left Click]
Sometimes, you may want to have certain units fire on a building or area even if it isn’t an enemy target. To get them to do this, you can use the force fire command. Simply select the units that you want to do this, hold down the CTRL key, and click on the location that you want the units to attack. Units on this mode will continue to fire on that area, ignoring all other threats, until you tell them to stop, or give them a new order to follow.

Force Move [ALT + Left Click]
Infantry annoying your tanks? Squish ‘em. Using the force-move command, you can make your tanks (or any heavy unit) move into an enemy occupied cel. And attempt to overrun the infantry in the square. To do this, select the unit(s) to force-move, then hold down the ALT key and left click on the area you want to force-move to. You can also use this to single-out a particular infantry unit that is giving you a hard time. Your unit will attempt to crush that infantry until either it succeeds, you give it a new order, or your unit is destroyed. Vehicles cannot overrun each other, and infantry cannot overrun tanks. Only tracked or heavy units can force-move into enemy infantry. You cannot force your tanks to crush your own infantry.

Scatter [X key]
With Tanks trying to squish your infantry and planes coming in with Napalm, the Scatter key comes in handy. You can make your troops move in a random direction from their current location, allowing them to (most of the time) dodge out of harm’s way. To scatter units, select them and hit the ‘X’ key. Units that are scattering will continue to carry out attack orders, so you can select them, tell them to attack, then hit the ‘X’ key to make them scatter from the threat.

NOTE: Scattering will only make all the selected units move once. If you want them to continually scatter, you must keep the units selected, and continue to hit the ‘X’ key every second or so. Otherwise, they will scatter once, then stop, continuing to attack the target you’ve given them. Also, units that are scattering may scatter out of their fire range. If this happens, left click on the target again (with the units still selected), and your units will move back into firing range.

Next Unit [N key]
Hitting the ‘N’ key will select and center the screen onto one of your units. Hitting the ‘N’ key again will cycle to another unit and so on.

Stop [S key]
If a unit is marching to certain death, or has been given an order that you don’t want them to continue to do, you can force that unit (or structure if it’s a turret of any kind) to stop firing/moving/harvesting. Select the unit(s) that you want to stop, and hit the ‘S’ key.

Follow [CTRL + ALT + Left Click]
Sometimes, you may want units to “tail” another unit as it moves around the map. This can be good for protecting a harvester or any other critical unit as it moves about. To follow a unit, select the units that are going to be doing the ‘tailing’, and hold down the CTRL and ALT keys. While these are still held down, you will see the cursor has changed to a red movement cursor. Click on the unit that you want followed, and they will automatically go after it, following it wherever it goes.

NOTE: Having large groups of units following a unit can be counter-productive. Don’t have a large group of units follow your harvester, or it may hinder the harvester’s movement, and slow down your collection of Tiberium. If enough units are following, they may surround their target, and it will not be able to move at all.

Center view [HOME key]
Hitting the home key will center your view on the currently selected unit/structure.

Construction yard view [H key]
Hitting ‘H’ will instantly center your view on your construction yard. This is useful for jumping back to your base when you’ve been concentrating your efforts somewhere else on the battlefield.

Location Bookmarks [CTRL+F7-F10, F7-F10]
If you want to save a specific location on the map, you need to move the main battle map to show the location you want marked, then hold down the CTRL key and hit one of the function keys (F7-F10). This will mark that location which can then be recalled by hitting the appropriate function key.

Interesting to note that a lot of these controls would become essentials to RTS pro-gaming. Also that "Control Groups" as we know them were called "Teams".

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I just embed the videos in the post. I assumed most everyone would browse like that, but yeah I'll go through the previous posts and add a titled link under each video.

Great, thank you very much:)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
NOD Mission 05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_yWCeivBfU
NOD Mission 05

MAURITANIA
Population: 2,059,000
Expendability: 50%
Capital: Nouakchott
Government: Islamic Republic
Govt Corruptability: 48%
Net Worth: $1 Billion
Point of Conflict: Tidjikdja
Military Strength: Laughable
Military Resistance: 24%

After a nice informational video on Tiberium, what it is and how it spreads, we are made aware that the eye of Kane is on us now, moreso than ever before. Strange, however, that Seth wouldn't be Kane's personal commander, or that we should worry about failing Seth, and not Kane.

Objective: Deploy SAMs to defend your base, then eliminate GDI presence on the map.

Briefing: Our brothers within GDI tell us of A-10 strike jets scheduled to be deployed here soon. Our suppliers have delivered new Surface to Air Missiles to aid you. Use the SAMs to defend your base, then seek out their base and destroy it.

Author's note: Seriously, what's Seth's deal?

LIGHT TANK
ARMOR: MEDIUM
COST: 600
SECONDS TO PRODUCE: 40
RANGE: MEDIUM
WEAPON: 75MM APDS
This highly-mobile tread vehicle, delivers maximum weaponry and personnel destruction with minimum weight, maintenance and weaponry.
Faster than any other tank on the battlefield, these units can reach a target quickly. Used in conjunction with aerial assaults, these units are very effective.

Author's notes: What aerial assaults?!

FLAMETHROWER INFANTRY
ARMOR: NONE
COST: 200
SECONDS TO PRODUCE: 13
RANGE: SHORT
WEAPON: FLAMETHROWER
Effective for maximum close-range destruction. Produces fire which burns more slowly than normal, allowing more effective elimination of humans
and armament. Be careful when using these troops in groups—if one unit gets in front of another, chances are that the unit in front will catch some of the damage from the back unit. Spread them out.

Author's notes: The slow burning fire stuff is just fluff, but you should honestly be careful with multiple flamethrowers. No joke, anything over 1 is dangerous to all sides.

SANDBAG BARRIER
ARMOR: LIGHT
COST: 50
SECONDS TO PRODUCE: 3
POWER USAGE: NONE
PURPOSE: BASE DEFENSE
Used to deter the enemy from advancing. Sandbags provide limited cover and may slow units down. Only explosive weapons such as grenades, missiles, and shells can damage Sandbags.

Author's notes: Not sure what the "provide limited cover" is supposed to be exactly, although I haven't checked the rules on it. The 2nd part is true, and annoyingly so at times.

SAM SITE
ARMOR: HEAVY/LIGHT
COST: 750
SECONDS TO PRODUCE: 50
POWER USAGE: 20
PURPOSE: DEFENSIVE ANTI-AIRBORNE UNIT
Fires surface-to-air missiles at airborne GDI units. When the it is recessed in the ground, it is difficult to harm. However, when the launcher is exposed, it will damage more easily. Position these around your base in a
triangular layout. This gives you the best chances of destroying aerial threats before they can cause serious damage to your base.

Author's notes: Due to the limits on distance (you need to build adjacent), you either need to build out or accept that their range will be poor, especially against A-10 strikes.

AIRSTRIP
ARMOR: HEAVY
COST: 2000
SECONDS TO PRODUCE: 133
POWER USAGE: 30
PURPOSE: WEAPONS RECEIVING AREA
Nod buys all its units. The Airfield allows cargo planes to land and deliver equipment. It is functionally equivalent to the GDI Weapons Factory.
However, you do not instantly get the unit when it is complete—it must be flown in, so plan accordingly. Building multiple Airfields will increase the
ordering speed, and will enable you to have two units delivered at a time.

Author's notes: I don't think I ever bothered building a second one, mostly due to money concerns.

Sorry guys, would've had this out sooner but holy crap the encoding just would NOT register my commentary track for some godawful reason.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 30, 2018

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Ahh C&C1 A-10 warthog strikes, the bane of NOD missions at times. Speaking of those, are you going to talk about how the AI them works or can that be talked about in the thread? Also, noticed that the note on flamethrowers is the same as sandbags.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

UED Special Ops posted:

Ahh C&C1 A-10 warthog strikes, the bane of NOD missions at times. Speaking of those, are you going to talk about how the AI them works or can that be talked about in the thread? Also, noticed that the note on flamethrowers is the same as sandbags.

Whoops, fixed the sandbag note.

The A-10 Strike always feels random or like.. closest enemy to the comms center? I def won't say no to some more knowledge kn how the AI uses them

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
OK, to the best of my knowledge, the AI sweeps from the upper left to right very top of the map looking for either buildings or units once the A-10 strike is ready. If it detects nothing, it shifts down a map square and repeats, hence why the A-10 fried that lone almost dead infantry scout midway through the video that was up near its base. This can be exploited by either having a sacrificial unit or building in the upper left most part of your base area/map. Under AI control the A-10 actually can follow whatever unit it has locked on to, hence why several light tanks were destroyed by the final A-10 strike of the mission, the locked-on tank was moving and the A-10 followed and dropped its napalm towards the unit, hitting a lot more ground then it would normally vs a stationary unit.

UED Special Ops fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 30, 2018

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I'm surprised that the A-10s in this game are just used for putting down napalm. It seems potent enough but you'd think they'd instead be using their actual ridiculous gun with the same mechanical effect?

So far as C&C itself goes I have no experience with this beyond fragments. I watched someone play one match on a later game, I'm familiar with a certain performance, and somehow my patrol with the Boy Scouts had a modified version of the NOD logo as their badge.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Hey, one of my favourite early Klepacki tracks!
I still to this day get Mechanical Man randomly stuck in my head sometimes.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Totally forgot about Mechanical Man. Far catchier than it has any right to be.

Jobbo Fett posted:

Author's note: Seriously, what's Seth's deal?

Once again I interpreted this differently. There's IMO a clearer view of his arrogance, which is basically the only reason I know of to throw in the 'while I was at a top-level briefing with Kane' line. I really started to see him as a smarmy, slippery weasel at this point. I didn't find the rest of what he said to be nearly as odd though. As Kane's right-hand man, he wouldn't be the personal commander; I don't see either one of them as field commanders. It always struck me as more the idea that the personal commander would be Kane's most trusted man in the field, directing his most capable troops - like Napoleon's Old Guard or the Sacred Band of ancient Carthage - on missions vital enough to commit them to which Kane would naturally directly oversee himself. Seth, from this POV, would be the administrative person Kane hands off most less-important matters to, and he probably has others to delegate further on down the chain of command. I can imagine a NOD Leadership Council or whatever of sorts, where they would go over the key happenings in each operational theatre, and Kane 'suggesting' that the player-commander be given the Lagos AirBase Assault task. The reason Seth might say 'do not fail me' is that he's stuck his neck out in mentioning the player. Knowing what we know about Seth, I'm sure it wasn't for our benefit, but to further his own ambitions and stature and probably brag about the fact that Seth 'discovered' us. Having done so, and established the player as his protégé/golden boy/whathaveyou, Seth would have egg on his face and his judgement called into question if we fail. I also think it reveals that, to Seth, his personal ambition trumps the furthering of Nod's goals.

Or maybe I just put way too much thought into this.

Also, I notice that it doesn't particularly concern you to be low on power. I thought this made buildings run less efficiently - i.e., not build units as fast, etc. I know it does so in later games, or in the original here does it not affect much other than knocking the communications building off-line? I never had the engineer issue - so long as I was building a bunch of tanks to defeat the enemy base anyway, I would pretty much just smash the whole thing with them and not bother with the capturing part. .

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 30, 2018

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Still irrationally annoyed you're not selling the second refinery to get that second harvester cheap.

But hey, Kane sort of knows we exist!!!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Thotimx posted:

Totally forgot about Mechanical Man. Far catchier than it has any right to be.

Once again I interpreted this differently. There's IMO a clearer view of his arrogance, which is basically the only reason I know of to throw in the 'while I was at a top-level briefing with Kane' line. I really started to see him as a smarmy, slippery weasel at this point. I didn't find the rest of what he said to be nearly as odd though. As Kane's right-hand man, he wouldn't be the personal commander; I don't see either one of them as field commanders. It always struck me as more the idea that the personal commander would be Kane's most trusted man in the field, directing his most capable troops - like Napoleon's Old Guard or the Sacred Band of ancient Carthage - on missions vital enough to commit them to which Kane would naturally directly oversee himself. Seth, from this POV, would be the administrative person Kane hands off most less-important matters to, and he probably has others to delegate further on down the chain of command. I can imagine a NOD Leadership Council or whatever of sorts, where they would go over the key happenings in each operational theatre, and Kane 'suggesting' that the player-commander be given the Lagos AirBase Assault task. The reason Seth might say 'do not fail me' is that he's stuck his neck out in mentioning the player. Knowing what we know about Seth, I'm sure it wasn't for our benefit, but to further his own ambitions and stature and probably brag about the fact that Seth 'discovered' us. Having done so, and established the player as his protégé/golden boy/whathaveyou, Seth would have egg on his face and his judgement called into question if we fail. I also think it reveals that, to Seth, his personal ambition trumps the furthering of Nod's goals.

Or maybe I just put way too much thought into this.

Also, I notice that it doesn't particularly concern you to be low on power. I thought this made buildings run less efficiently - i.e., not build units as fast, etc. I know it does so in later games, or in the original here does it not affect much other than knocking the communications building off-line? I never had the engineer issue - so long as I was building a bunch of tanks to defeat the enemy base anyway, I would pretty much just smash the whole thing with them and not bother with the capturing part. .

I could be wrong on this but I think Mechanical Man is an expansion song and, due to the nature of the patches and such, they are in the normal song rotation.

As for Seth, he's clearly doing what he can to further his own goals, or at the very least impress Kane (whoever he is). The way he addresses us makes me think he doesn't actually like the commander, and that we're just being used.

I swesr in a trial run being at low power slowed production time and ill make a tiny video demoing it if I can replicate it again.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Still irrationally annoyed you're not selling the second refinery to get that second harvester cheap.

But hey, Kane sort of knows we exist!!!

I find it more efficient to keep several refineries in this game :shrug:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I like how the briefing map has us attacking Mauretania and then the briefing video has us...not doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I find it more efficient to keep several refineries in this game :shrug:
I just remember finding building two, selling one ($ and some infantry) and building a third later to give me a better start. 1:1 refineries:harvesters seems excessive. Plus you can position the second refinery to spread your base out a bit.

As long as you're serving the Brotherhood, though, it's all good.