Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Game of the Year?
This poll is closed.
Celeste 33 7.10%
Spider-man 10 2.15%
Red Dead Redemption 2 32 6.88%
Super Smash Brothers Ultimate 32 6.88%
Monster Hunter World 63 13.55%
God of War 26 5.59%
Into the Breach 7 1.51%
Hitman 2 17 3.66%
Dragon Ball Fighterz 4 0.86%
Blazblue Cross Tag Battle 0 0%
Tetris Effect 2 0.43%
Graveyard Keep 3 0.65%
Octopath Traveler 6 1.29%
Assassin's Creed Odyssey 12 2.58%
Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 5 1.08%
Something not listed multiplatform 18 3.87%
Something not listed by Nintendo 1 0.22%
Something not listed by Sony 2 0.43%
Something not listed by Microsoft 1 0.22%
Something not listed on PC 15 3.23%
Something not listed that's indie 15 3.23%
Something that came out late last year 2 0.43%
Something that didn't come out this year but you played this year 23 4.95%
Something that doesn't fit other categories but you want anyways 4 0.86%
Bowsette 132 28.39%
Total: 465 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Relax Or DIE posted:

What am I getting

a nice water bottle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don’t want anything for Christmas thanks

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

My new gaming desktop with a 1080 Ti 11GB videocard arrived today and I'm unsure of what to get that will push it to the limit so I pre-ordered Just Cause 4. I'd love any suggestions for games that push the graphics to the max.

I'm betting X4: Foundations is going to be amazing to look at.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lol I got completely lost in Hokkaido and just accidentally stumbled into my first two kill methods. That's a cool level

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Everyone that posted Bowsette fanart is getting Metal Gear Survive

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Regy Rusty posted:

Lol I got completely lost in Hokkaido and just accidentally stumbled into my first two kill methods. That's a cool level

someone make a That's Hitman! smiley already

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Taintrunner posted:

My new gaming desktop with a 1080 Ti 11GB videocard arrived today and I'm unsure of what to get that will push it to the limit so I pre-ordered Just Cause 4. I'd love any suggestions for games that push the graphics to the max.

You're supposed to give another $2k to star citizen now as a pc gamer tax

Seriously, they do have free modules you can check out

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I didn't know santa employed anime elves now, what a worl

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bushisms.txt posted:

You're supposed to give another $2k to star citizen now as a pc gamer tax

Seriously, they do have free modules you can check out

Sorry, I only get all my Star Citizen information from the S.C.A.M. thread

I have, like, 1,329 games in my Steam Library so I'm just scrolling down and installing the lot of them on the 1TB SSD + 2TB HDD + 8TB external HD

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

cheetah7071 posted:

Anime elves gotta make the anime games

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

btw your Zelda 3 journey is not over, there’s a Second Quest in the form of Ancient Stone Tablets that was released for like 4 weeks on a Japanese only satellite service for the SNES so get to it hop hop the suffering never ends

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

So what's with the dumb poo poo, y'all.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

someone make a That's Hitman! smiley already

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Filled with regrets seeing that smile.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
hahaha for anyone without any idea what kind of game anthem might be this is one of the survey questions for playing the alpha

"A win is a win, even if it involves hints, paying to be better or cheats"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I finished Link's Awakening. It's good. There's a few spots where I think there would have been frustratingly little guidance if I didn't remember what to do from previous playthroughs (getting the rooster to fly over the pit, finding the path through the wind fish's egg) but maybe it isn't so bad and I would have gotten it eventually even blind idk. The first few dungeons are kinda lame but at least all of them except Eagle's Tower have purposeful backtracking once you get the dungeon item. The last few dungeons are full of moments where I know where I need to go and just figuring out how to navigate there is the challenge--fun stuff. Eagle's Tower in particular has a ton of that, where you toss the heavy ball over a pit and then take a roundabout path to reunite with it. I like that sort of purposeful navigation gameplay and it's absent in a lot of zeldas, where you tend to just go into whichever rooms you have access to.

I sorta wish I hadn't known how to get the boomerang because acquiring it ultimately stripped the last few areas of any combat challenge. In particular, every form of the final boss is OHKOed by it. I guess I didn't have to use it after getting it but killing bubbles was very satisfying.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Doorknob Slobber posted:

hahaha for anyone without any idea what kind of game anthem might be this is one of the survey questions for playing the alpha

"A win is a win, even if it involves hints, paying to be better or cheats"
Lol, RIP Bioware.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can I enjoy Link Between Worlds if I never played Link to the Past? I was never that good at the old school 2D Zelda games.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Taintrunner posted:

Can I enjoy Link Between Worlds if I never played Link to the Past? I was never that good at the old school 2D Zelda games.

It's a sequel technically but in practice is just Nintendo making a new game using the same design ideas. The direct plot connections are extremely minor iirc.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

I have, like, 1,329 games in my Steam Library

what

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've had Steam since launch

I also have like 480 games installed on my new computer; 3TB internal, 8TB external.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/Cyberbunbun/status/1068927898655047680

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh poo poo they're right

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

you can, its just better if you have. its the most direct sequel zelda has ever had, and makes a big point to highlight its similarities and differences from lttp. its still good on its own though

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

Part of the pleasure of the game is returning to and recognizing places from LttPand just to be clear since your contrasting it with old school 2D could imply you don’t know: Link Between Worlds uses a 3D world but it is also an overhand camera in the style of the old school 2D Zeldas.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
RDR2 beta online just being fallout 76, but with more grind and microtransactions is hilarious.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr Hootington posted:

RDR2 beta online just being fallout 76, but with more grind and microtransactions is hilarious.

Yeah it's more Fallout than Fallout in that a can of baked beans is more valuable than actual gold, which is really something else.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I can't believe smash brother is out next week.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mr Hootington posted:

Counterpoint: rdr2 has single player content

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

I have, like, 1,329 games in my Steam Library
in 2014 this would be almost every game on steam. Less than 5 years later, it's less than 3%.

Unity asset flips and trading card farms were a he'll of a thing, and Valve has never reckoned with how they went from a good service to teddybears full of cum so fast

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

precision posted:

It's also an incredible single-player story (labor abuses aside for a moment) and when I tried the RDR2 Online Beta last night and realized I'd have to do that same progression all over again, except way loving worse, my interest shockingly dropped. I even tried playing the deathmatch and TDM playlists and holy gently caress it was so bad, because if you were just starting out, your lovely loving Cattleman and repeater were jack poo poo to someone who had paid gold bars or whatever for uber-guns, so you'd just die instantly. It's so cynically designed to try and force you to dump real money into it, which is a loving shame.

Although on the otherhand I managed to kill someone by dumping Varmint Rifle rounds into them, which was pretty funny.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sometimes I like to play Hitman as an uncaring hide and seek murderer where I just kill indescriminately but I still take advantage of hiding spots and disguises. You can have some real exciting close calls and standoff situations where you kill a dude, take his clothes, then guards run in all spooked and see the body and you come in from a nearby bathroom and you all look at each other and then suddenly you blow them away and take THEIR clothes and then walk out as lesser ranked guards run in distracted. High chaos Hitman can be a lot of fun even if it gets you bad scores.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Side question, what are people's thoughts on Prison Graphics games (games with primary stick figures or garbage, public-domain icons included intentionally). I understand why an extremely small team (like 1 or 2 people) would choose this "style" of graphics, but it makes games feel like they were made for game jams and/or they have "placeholder" graphics, even if the game is finished.

Is there ever a reason to release to the public a game with Prison graphics?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'm at the point in Hollow Knight where I could end the game, but I want to get the true ending and check out some of the DLC. The Switch is a great place for this, and it's definitely in my top ten for this year. For whatever reason, I really like the conceit of exposition via an ability that lets you read people's minds.

It would also be greatly improved with an across the board enemy health reduction and abolishing boss runs.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Also Cloth is my best friend

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whelp I installed over 530 games on my new computer

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

precision posted:

RDR2 also took 8+ years to make and turned its employees into slaves in the process. Not that Fallout 76 isn't poo poo, but lets put all the fawning over RDR2 into perspective.

Part of me is kind of glad they hosed up the online so much. It completely erases my temptation to actually play the game since most of my interest came from thinking the online would actually be good.

Taintrunner posted:

Whelp I installed over 530 games on my new computer

I bet you only play 10 of them.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 2, 2018

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

rdr2 sure is amazing tho

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Internet Kraken posted:

I bet you only play 10 of them.

I go through a pretty steady rotation of whatever I'm in the mood for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Relax Or DIE posted:

I'm at the point in Hollow Knight where I could end the game, but I want to get the true ending and check out some of the DLC. The Switch is a great place for this, and it's definitely in my top ten for this year. For whatever reason, I really like the conceit of exposition via an ability that lets you read people's minds.

It would also be greatly improved with an across the board enemy health reduction and abolishing boss runs.

No reason not to end it. You get to see the first ending and the game reverts to right before the boss fight.