Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I finished the first six episodes of Kara no Kyoukai. It was good but not great. Each episode looked good and was well executed and each handled its chosen theme pretty well, although sometimes it would just outright explain the theme in a big philosophical speech. Sometimes this worked but it often fell flat for me. I really enjoy the characters, and the music and sound design is great as well. That said, each episode left me feeling like it could have done more or would be great if it had something it's missing. I guess what I'm saying is that outside liking the characters it didn't leave much of an emotional impact on me, although Spiral Paradox came the closest. I'm definitely going to finish up the series when I get a chance to watch the last episodes, which are both feature length. The epilogue is real short so I won't have trouble with that. Good show though, I"m glad it was suggested because it's something I probably wouldn't have gone out of my way to watch otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

after 6 episodes im going to drop initial d cause i find it extremely boring. sorry

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

So I have been steadily making progress on my toxx:

1. Witchblade (Eela)
2. Blast of Tempest (Erg)
3. Silver Spoon (Dogsicle)
4. My Bride is a Mermaid (Davincie)
5. Casshern Sins (Gorf)
6. Mononoke (Endorph)
7. New Game! (Colonel)
8. Denno Coil (Sinky)
9. Mahoujin Guruguru (Anohito)
10. Gundam Reconquista in G (Bees)

New Game!- I watched New Game! first and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The characters are all a lot of fun and it has some decent gags in it. I also don't see a lot of anime that presents working adults so it was a nice change of pace in that regard. I was only asked to watch the first season, technically, but depending how close I'm cutting it towards the end I may add the second season to my toxx. Thanks Colonel.

Blast of Tempest- I watched this show second and lmao at how dumb it was. I liked it a lot probably because of that. What's her face there is an awful girlfriend. The worst girlfriend even. The first ED rules btw.

Gundam Reconguista in G- I just finished this up and it was alright. I had trouble focusing on it for the first few episodes and I found that its pacing made it a little difficult to follow and understand. Towards the middle I started to get into it but it was too late for me to get comprehension of the story, its factions, various characters, and said factions/characters motivations. Despite that I found the ending to be really good and the characters on the Megafauna to be really good. Also Aida is hot and Mask is the best.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

after 6 episodes im going to drop initial d cause i find it extremely boring. sorry

Coward

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

You dropped the monogatari simulwatch after the first season, and planned to skip nise as well

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Julias posted:

You dropped the monogatari simulwatch after the first season, and planned to skip nise as well

Exactly.

Namtab knows from experience exactly what a coward looks like.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

I finished the first six episodes of Kara no Kyoukai. It was good but not great. Each episode looked good and was well executed and each handled its chosen theme pretty well, although sometimes it would just outright explain the theme in a big philosophical speech. Sometimes this worked but it often fell flat for me.
I think that's mostly a problem of adaptation. Nasu wrote Kara no Kyoukai when he was literally in college, so it falls into a lot of college-age writer tropes like 'big philosophical speeches' and high concept stuff that's either over or underexplained or doesn't really reflect on the characters as much as it should. It got touched up a lot in adaptation, but they mostly accomplished this by just removing a lot of nonessential dialogue and changing a few plot points, not really complete rewrites or anything.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Julias posted:

Mods hate nise

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm adding a gundam clause

because Great Gundam Project is such a good fun podcast, i am going to follow their schedule and watch 1-3 episodes of Gundam a week starting from 0083. i know i still need to write about robin and gilgamesh :negative:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Lol 2 eps a week is gonna take what almost a decade?

And that’s ignoring new stuff coming out

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Erg posted:

Lol 2 eps a week is gonna take what almost a decade?

And that’s ignoring new stuff coming out

they're pretty upfront about the project taking until 2026 to reach the current entries, and of course that was before stuff like the Hathaway's Flash series was fully announced etc. at least for this year i will join them though, they're right in the spot of Gundam stuff i haven't seen (Victory, X, Wing) so it'll be new to me.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wark's Toxx, Part 02:

Hozuki's Coolheadedness

A work-com? About hell? Man, that sounds like a pain in the rear end.

I mean look! The main character's already tapped out and it's barely past the halfway the running time of the first episode! WHAT GIVES?

In all seriousness, though, it's a fun series. 1st season was directed by the My Little Monster/91 Days director, Hiro Kaburagi, and while the focus is kept on a reasonably sized main cast (pretty much every episode had at least 7 of the 10 main characters there), it's pretty consistently fun.

What is it about?

In said first season, it's mostly about the shenanigans involving the bucket of sunshine on the right. As Chief of Staff and assistant to the big cheese himself Lord Enma, ogre Hozuki has both to play the straight man and fix an increasing amount of nonsensical plots that threaten to pull hell apart by the seams. And by that I mean Japanese Hell. European Union Hell has its own worries, but who cares about Satan and his dumb rear end? Not this guy, that's for drat sure. :colbert:

With everything from lessons about Japanese Myths, Shintoism, Buddhist mythology to enough pop-culture references to compete with a certain white-haired guy with a perm, Hozuki is basically that guy at the office we all know. The guy who makes it happen and, oftentimes, keeps it all together. From dealing with his absent-minded boss, to haggling with his archrival, legendary chinese beast and recurring Megami Tensei encounter Hakutaku, to making sure staff is working properly because... eh, it's a living.

Season 2 (directed by the Yona of the Dawn fella, this time around) mostly keeps focus on Hozuki + his main two minions and the animal cruelty crew but expands the cast. The addition of two Zashiki-warashis, further appearances by overwhelmed ogre idol Peach Maki and her recurring partner yako idol Miki, problems with unions on the cold hells, documentation guys, R&D, sleazy nekomata reporters for scandal rags, other chiefs of staff and their judges a--

Norio Nyaakamoto is also there, albeit briefly.

Pros:
  • Both seasons are fairly consistent when it comes to the fun times.
  • Both the Opening and Ending songs are incredibly catchy, with the 2nd Opening being a personal favorite.
  • It's also technically a dad manga?

Cons:
  • While some characters receiving more focus really helped the show at times(sketchy Fox dude, idol unit Maki-Miki), since both seasons retain the 2 segment/chapters per episode, the unevenness can be noticeable with one segment being really strong and the other one sometimes feeling dead in the water.
  • One-time characters on season 2 were very much "Love 'Em or Leave 'Em", especially sad given how strong and consistently good the core cast on season 1 was and how a lot of them get shafted for most of the 2nd cour of season 2.

All in all: Season 1 was fairly fun and Season 2, while starting off fairly great on the 1st cour, kinda meandered a bit on the 2nd one. Hiroki Yasumoto needs to be the main character in more things.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, and this also got updated:

• Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood- 0/64
  • Chivalry of a Failed Knight - 12/12 DONE!
  • Hozuki's Coolheadedness - 39/39 DONE!
  • Kamisama Kiss - 0/25
  • From the New World - 0/25
  • Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju - 0/25
  • Coffin Princess Chaika - 0/22
  • Blood Blockade Battlefront - 0/24
  • Free: Iwatobi Swim Club - 0/37

222 episodes left.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Watch chaika next or perish

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Namtab posted:

Watch chaika next or perish

This

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Chaika?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iHFGxZblOo

Everything on your list is pretty drat good Wark, but Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju is the one I would tell you to watch next!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Chaika!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The one in your list that says, chaika, in the name

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Blood Blockade Battlefront!!!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i watched kaiba, as suggested by julias

what i generally look for in anime is something original, which visually kaiba certainly is. the plotline of the first half also satisfied me very well in that regard. it also ticked several other boxes of things i generally enjoy in my anime like the general weirdness, the exploration of original settings and that girl that hosed herself to death. the way the anime took the time to occasionally wander off from the main character to further explore the world is something i thought was done rather well and enjoyed very much.

however, around halfway into the anime the focus of the story shifts from the exploration of the world to a more straightforward and predictable revolution/love story, which i found a lot less appealing. luckily there was still the artwork to keep me entertained, but it was disappointing to see it shift to something more standard. gave it an 8

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yuasa you done hosed up

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tfw Dav said he'd only watch but did not say finish, so the coward will not complete initial d

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Third Part! Preventing User Deletion! Wark Say!

Coffin Princess Chaika

Gather father remains. Give funeral.

Me in middle! Akari to left. Toru to right!

Many events happen! Shocking truths revealed!

Attention. Grateful!

Mwee?

• Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood- 0/64
  • Chivalry of a Failed Knight - 12/12 Completion
  • Hozuki's Coolheadedness - 39/39 Completion
  • Kamisama Kiss - 0/25
  • From the New World - 0/25
  • Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju - 0/25
  • Coffin Princess Chaika - 22/22 Story of Chaika!
  • Blood Blockade Battlefront - 0/24
  • Free: Iwatobi Swim Club - 0/37

Remaining. Two Hundred instances.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

So you liked it?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'll be honest: First two times I watched it to completion, I honestly thought the first season was superior. Having finished rewatching the show for a third time, and after almost a week of having done so, I can honestly say that I prefer the 2nd season slightly better now. I haven't read the novels, but I enjoyed the mad dash-esque quick pacing the anime has going for it.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

now do blood blockade

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I was finishing anime and didn't post about it

D-Frag (12/12):
https://files.catbox.moe/c5px7o.webm
there should be more of it but there isn't. Super funny, I just wish some of the characters got more screen time, it felt like they kept introducing more people before I had seen enough of the others

Gintama (75/360something):
https://files.catbox.moe/7550i6.webm
The start of this was pretty inconsistent and I took a break after watching lots of eps but SHABADABBADWEEDWEE has won my loyalty forever in this show.

Samurai Flamenco (26/26):
I don't know what to say about this show. Like I liked it a lot but gosh how did they decide on what was going to happen. It had like four twists that changed the direction of the show completely but I was with it the whole time. My favorite tone was definitely from the start when he was arguing with old ladies about when you should put out your trash but the show had enough good moments to carry it through to the end.

Gundam (2/3 movies):
shamelessly reusing an old post from when i finished the second movie: i like how much gundam sells its message. like how kai quits for a minute because he doesn't want to be doing this, and then helps a spy because he feels sorry for her family. or when some zeon guy infiltrating the ship is like "why the gently caress are all these kids on here". The movies are real good, but my brain doesn't like to sit still for 2+ hours so I keep not watching the third

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

yeah im gonna break tables with a webm, that's teh D-Frag way

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

theres an ova

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i tossed a google form out so people could recommend me 1-3 series for the new year, and then ran that list through a randomizer for the bare minimum 6 shows i will commit to watching this year:

1. Wake Up, Girls!
2. The Hakkenden
3. Bodacious Space Pirates
4. Red Garden
5. Higurashi (unspecified amount, but I'll watch at least the first season obvi)
6. NHK ni Youkoso

as a secondary resolution, i have too much anime and need to thin the herd. to accomplish this, i won't download anything this year outside of seasonal anime and the shows that were put into my google form. i have to watch 6 more shows from the anime i already have and/or the 9 shows that didn't make it through the randomizer.

1. Witch Hunter Robin
2. Gilgamesh
3. Real Drive
4. El Cazador de la Bruja
5. Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory

i did more anime, and must also finally summarize and release my thoughts

Bodacious Space Pirates: this is sort of a simple one, i guess. i didn't really like this show though i expected to and wanted to. the characters are charismatic and fun enough but there are a few too many, possibly because of the split focus this show has in all aspects. as it balances a full schoolgirl cast with all sorts of pirates, it does the same for comedic hijinks and life and death battles, and that contrast mostly served to show me how much better it was at the former. the yacht club are a great group of characters i'd rather see get a full show to gently caress around as pirates instead of the more thinly sketched crew of actual pirates. when the show is outside of this element of light and comedic adventure, i feel like it utterly fails to establish any proper stakes to conflicts so they feel largely ill-defined and inconsequential. half the time there's some looming threat of a ship battle or whatnot but it never comes to pass or resolves quickly and unexcitingly. only in the final arc do we get some truly noteworthy battles and naval strategy, which is the sort of thing i had hoped the piracy might be about 20 episodes prior. a minor side quibble is having gone into this with a vague idea of there being relationships between some of the girls, i was a bit let down that they never really develop chiaki/marika, though i was glad to see eliza and her gf reunite towards the end of the series. solid production all around but lacking overall in the character/serious writing aspects.

Witch Hunter Robin: very ur-2000's anime, or at least the aesthetic of it that adultswim curated. robin was really interesting to me from a production standpoint for its use of pre-rendered cg backgrounds. normally you'd expect cg this old to look awful but it really helps create the slightly otherworldly atmosphere carried in the soundtrack, and honestly it is just super loving cool to me that an anime looks like it's set in a ps2 game (but in a good way). as a mostly episodic show it can be hit or miss, not a lot of the individual stories stand out to me for their quality, though there's stuff like a goofy evil doll episode or a later buddy-cop episode between robin and a coworker that has uniquely good animation. the few small story arcs that thread through the show are much better, with robin uncovering the secrets behind witchcraft and conflicts between different factions of the church and witch hunters. robin herself is an enjoyable protagonist to follow, as a bit of a surly and absentminded teen tossed into a workplace she doesn't quite gel with. the bonds that gradually develop between her and the other characters are sweet even if they are simple. despite not being terribly fond of any of the other characters, i did care about them by extension due to their relationship with robin. i suppose i'd say this one isn't really a must watch, but it was a nice and light curiosity i enjoyed burning through.

Gilgamesh: it turns out that weird show i only knew from the meme video is good, though i'm certain this show's cultural purchase is based more off that as a joke than people actually having sat down to watch it. this show is not very well produced visually, and makes character design choices that are undoubtedly polarizing. this is all before you even consider the plodding pacing or nihilistic ending. i can say the soundtrack is amazing, a lot of the aesthetic choices regarding lighting and the major locations like delphys/the hotel/turangalilla create a great atmosphere, and the creature designs are great. the rest of my feelings are hard to qualify i suppose, because there's just such a mess of emotional response in this show. at the center of the series you have conflicting factions of adults, all who are truly awful, prideful people. yet they have broken cores you can sympathize with or understand even as their actions lead and destroy a world inhabited by innocents, reflected most strongly in the swirling familial-romantic dynamics of the orga-superior children, the madoka siblings, and novem. these children all clash and bond at different moments in the series, creating flashes of hope in a post-apocalyptic world, yet these moments of light are eventually stifled directly or otherwise by the adults who move the world. even as the ending of the series takes everything good from the viewer, it offers a final gift of ultimate catharsis. where last year's devilman crybaby offered a depressing ending that i for some reason can only see positively, gilgamesh truly does go out on some awful notes. yet this is what makes it stand out to me, and makes me value it and love it. in the depths it reaches there is still plenty to enjoy.

Gundam 0083: the ggp toxx clause produces its first result, with this ova series that i knew was awful but was able to truly confirm. part of me thought maybe people always complained about this because it had an emotional woman and they were coming from the same (sexist) place of complaints that are leveled against quess paraya in CCA. but nope, it's actually this show that is deeply sexist and hosed up, on top of just being a slog to watch. it's an animation marvel with a stacked voice cast and some great music, but with only a few characters who don't engage in the show's myriad expressions of tedious toxic masculinity and inability to write a female character who lives for anything other than a man (or dies for one), they can't keep the show afloat. if this were like half the length it is it might be reasonably watchable for the aforementioned bright spots but alas.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

dogsicle posted:

Gundam 0083: the ggp toxx clause produces its first result, with this ova series that i knew was awful but was able to truly confirm. part of me thought maybe people always complained about this because it had an emotional woman and they were coming from the same (sexist) place of complaints that are leveled against quess paraya in CCA. but nope, it's actually this show that is deeply sexist and hosed up, on top of just being a slog to watch. it's an animation marvel with a stacked voice cast and some great music, but with only a few characters who don't engage in the show's myriad expressions of tedious toxic masculinity and inability to write a female character who lives for anything other than a man (or dies for one), they can't keep the show afloat. if this were like half the length it is it might be reasonably watchable for the aforementioned bright spots but alas.

I told you but you didn't listen!!!
I mean the show is almost worth it for the homoerotic montage between the mc and the mechanic ngl

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i finished fate/hollow ataraxia

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I was able to finish the first season of vanguard but I am now physically incapable of going out and playing it so watching the show is incredibly depressing.

as an alternative I would like to propose:
all of the fate vn and ha
forcing my normie partner who a year ago was espousing his hatred of anime to watch gatari, with me finishing all of the seasons as well
symphogear
3d models

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i finished seraphim call

now im all for some experimentation in anime, and this anthology show certainly tried. there was an ep entirely from the viewpoint of a plush doll, a pair of eps about twins showing the same events from both sides, an ep with only a single character narrating the entire episode like a one (wo)man theatre show. they certainly made an effort to try something new. that said, i enjoyed almost none of it bar the thunderbirds parody episode. this because of a simple reason: all the girls, every episode was about a different girl, are very boring characters. none of them really bring anything of interest to the table and the single episode they get is not enough to develop them into more interesting characters. some of them managed to make me care a bit though, mainly due to an excellent voice performance by Maria Yamamoto in episode 11 which i feel ranks up there with the best voice performances ive heard in anime. a fair amount of the other voice performances were also great, but that one jumped out at me. gave it a 5

ill be replacing ergs pick cause even after months its only made 1.08% download progress with his choice of 'afro samurai'

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

everythingWasBees posted:

I was able to finish the first season of vanguard but I am now physically incapable of going out and playing it so watching the show is incredibly depressing.

forcing my normie partner who a year ago was espousing his hatred of anime to watch gatari, with me finishing all of the seasons as well
symphogear
3d models
Sym-pho-GEAR!
Sym-pho-GEAR!
Sym-pho-GEAR!
Sym-pho-GEAR!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Sym-pho-GEAR!
Sym-pho-GEAR!
Sym-pho-GEAR!
Sym-pho-GEAR!

ill take this as mod approval

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Can't believe Wark Say toxxed himself to rewatch Symphogear four times

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
While I'd normally say "Baloney!", I very much dig Symphogear's brand of :krad: "gently caress YEAH! LET'S TEAR THIS MOTHER DOWN!".

I mean, there are four seasons. But first I gotta clean my other gauntlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

everythingWasBees posted:

symphogear
3d models

The challenge is sufficient. I have amended my records