Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Wafer posted:

Hedge funds make a lot in fees. Carried interest is their share of whatever the hedge fund makes. Which can be really good, except since 2008 hedge funds are up about 22% whereas the S&P is up 85%. So it doesn't sound like most hedge fund managers are getting a lot of carried interest money.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/09/buffett-challenge-hedge-funds-vs-index-funds-9-years-on.html

Sure, S&P returns would be better, but carried interest is also massively leveraged. Management fees are around 3% a year as I understand it, taxed as income, versus taking 20% of profits taxed as capital gains. It really matters how the 22% is spread over the decade though, because they don’t share in losses. (Other than reduced management fees because of a reduced NAV, of course.) The few hedgefolk I ran into when I was in VC emphasized carry when talking about comp, which they would do at the slightest provocation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I really like ancient architecture. Do they have a pyramid-themed investment option?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Weatherman posted:

https://folio-sec.com

No English interface but you can see the delightful collection of "themes" on the front page along with a totes-sustainable percentage-gain figure for the past three years.

looks like themed stupid idiot actively managed mutual funds

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Weatherman posted:

There are ads in front of me on the train for an investment app that lets you "invest", from your smartphone, according to "theme". Idea being that you pick your area of interest and invest in that.

The themes featured as the main pictures on the two ads I can see are "cats" and "cosplay". The others listed as examples are "drones", "social gaming", and "sushi".

This is going to end up very BWM for a bunch of cashed-up commuters and very GWM for the company taking commissions for funnelling cash into the black holes "investment funds".

Buying what you use is a completely rational investment strategy. Buying your fetishes is the natural evolution of that.

Subjunctive posted:

Sure, S&P returns would be better, but carried interest is also massively leveraged. Management fees are around 3% a year as I understand it, taxed as income, versus taking 20% of profits taxed as capital gains. It really matters how the 22% is spread over the decade though, because they don’t share in losses. (Other than reduced management fees because of a reduced NAV, of course.) The few hedgefolk I ran into when I was in VC emphasized carry when talking about comp, which they would do at the slightest provocation.

The 22% is slightly misleading in that most hedge funds had far worse returns. So some managers are making a lot of money from carried interest whereas others are relying on those fees for income. And also probably laundering money because who keeps their money in a hedge fund that's returning 2% over a decade.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Hedge funds are bullshit just like every other high-fee fund, you can safely ignore anything a hedge fund person says

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Can I leverage my investment in cosplay by using a super chill loan?
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1079443162957897728?s=21

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

What's the problem?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Wafer posted:

And also probably laundering money because who keeps their money in a hedge fund that's returning 2% over a decade.

They might just to have exposure to a different asset class as part of some family office’s strategy. Even pensions and endowments typically have some target percentage of the VC/PE/hedge sort of asset class, for reasons that I am not financially sophisticated enough to quite understand. It was helpful when raising a fund, though!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

What's the problem?

Because we have not been good until now, to you who wish to expect from now.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SpelledBackwards posted:

Can I leverage my investment in cosplay by using a super chill loan?
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1079443162957897728?s=21

Get a super chullo

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Subjunctive posted:

Even pensions and endowments typically have some target percentage of the VC/PE/hedge sort of asset class, for reasons that I am not financially sophisticated enough to quite understand.

Regulatory capture, probably

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

H110Hawk posted:

What's the problem?

Oh poo poo, they are on sale!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:laugh:

I'm a new grad who invested unwisely last year and last a bunch of money. Help!

quote:

could really use your help turning this ship around.

I'm 27, and I graduated six months ago (BS in Computer Science from a state school). Over the last year, I've been dumping my money into various cryptocurrencies. Historically, the value of my crypto investments had a tendency to briefly skyrocket, and then suddenly crash with me (unwisely?) holding on for dear life. I'm currently down across the board.

Robinhood claims that I'm currently at a 45% all time loss (although there's some debate as to whether or not this is accurate).

Here are some figures to help you understand my financial health as of this morning:

Big Picture Numbers

Income: 90k USD annually, in Palo Alto, CA (getting a raise soon)

Debt: 20k USD (student loans) I'm making $120 payments on this on a monthly basis.

Investments and Account Balances

Vanguard ROTH IRA value: **15k USD (**I haven't made contributions to this in a while)

Current value of Robinhood portfolio: 11k USD (allegedly down about 45%)

Checking account: 2k USD (I spent a lot during the holidays)

401k: 2k USD (From my previous employer -- I changed jobs recently and have not started investing in my new company's 401k program yet. It uses a non-Fidelity 401k platform that I would have to roll over into, and they do not yet provide a matching bonus which sucks.)

I have nothing in a savings account, I've resolved to create one starting this month.

My monthly expenses are:

Rent: 1k USD

Food: 500 USD

Transportation: **200 USD (**I commute about 80 miles a day cumulatively)

Other expenses (haircuts, bar/club nights w friends, dates, self indulgent purchases): 1k USD

My employer takes care of most other expenses, gym, phone, etc.

My credit score is 729 (TransUnion) 727 (Equifax) as of today.

I own my car outright, it's worth about 12k USD. Cost of maintenance for the car is negligibly low, and it's insured (as a gift, my family is covering the cost for the first year of ownership).

I've held a couple of low paying part time jobs in restaurants over the last 8 years, but stupidly never paid taxes for them. I don't think I ever made more than 20k USD to 30k USD per year in any of them, but I want to include this detail so that you can get as complete a picture as I can provide for you. I will of course be paying taxes on the income I've made in my big boy job, this year.

I really want to become financially independent ASAP. My dream is to own income-generating multi-families or apartment buildings, and get out of tech. If you were me, what steps would you take to get closer to that goal?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Business, Finance, and Careers > Bad With Money 2019: Portfolio allegedly down about 45%

:discourse:

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

90k job with a CS degree in loving Palo Alto? As what, the night manager of the Mathilda Ave Denny's? That's the first of so many red flags.

Never get tired of people who genuinely believe making more money can equal a net loss due to taxes simply by not comprehending that the max tax rate is only on the last portion of your new income, instead of now applying to all of it.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Sometimes I wonder if these people learned about tax brackets by watching The Big Lebowski.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I read the title and assumed the person lost a fair amount in their 401k last year. But no, they do the crypto. Lol. Also isn't 90k in Palo Alto kind of low?

Dude just sold his crypto so it's either a bad troll or he was thinking it was a bad idea to have crypto already. Amazing. Americans are brilliant.

History does say America works best with a high top tier tax bracket.

The Economics of Soaking the Rich https://nyti.ms/2GUnmWB

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 7, 2019

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I suspect that the tax bracket thing sometimes is used as a socially acceptable way for people to refuse overtime. Like your boss asks you to do some extra hours and you're tired but can't outright say so, so you say that. Obviously noone ever looked at their pay stub and went "oy that higher tax bracket on those last x $ earned really stings".

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
During periods of high inflation you can get burned on taxes as your pay increases to offset higher costs, but the tax brackets haven’t been adjusted to compensate.

So if you’re 70 you have an excuse since it’s been about 40 years since we had really bad inflation.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Starting this year my work introduced new medical premiums that scale with your pay. Its a surprisingly progressive way to hide a insurance increase, but its not gradual. At 75k and 150k base salary you pay the next rate. Depending on which plan you chose and if you need a solo/spouse/family plan, up to the first 6k after a step up might be a net loss.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Same with a preschool subsidy my city recently introduced, very steep cut off between ~65-90k means practically every dollar of wage increase in that range goes back to the city.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Xenoborg posted:

Starting this year my work introduced new medical premiums that scale with your pay. Its a surprisingly progressive way to hide a insurance increase, but its not gradual. At 75k and 150k base salary you pay the next rate. Depending on which plan you chose and if you need a solo/spouse/family plan, up to the first 6k after a step up might be a net loss.

My wife works for an insurer and they've been doing that for several years now. The more you make, the more you pay for insurance.

It's a nice way to give employees on the lower end of the pay scale a break. I don't think you pay any more as a percent of your income, but obviously it gets progressively more expensive for managers and executives.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Bibendum posted:

Same with a preschool subsidy my city recently introduced, very steep cut off between ~65-90k means practically every dollar of wage increase in that range goes back to the city.
Holy poo poo, preschool costs 25k a year?

Krispy Wafer posted:

My wife works for an insurer and they've been doing that for several years now. The more you make, the more you pay for insurance.

It's a nice way to give employees on the lower end of the pay scale a break. I don't think you pay any more as a percent of your income, but obviously it gets progressively more expensive for managers and executives.
A straight % all the way up makes sense. Or a few tiers of %s maybe. I prefer an employer paying for all/most of it though...

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

aphid_licker posted:

Obviously noone ever looked at their pay stub and went "oy that higher tax bracket on those last x $ earned really stings".

Oh, yes, that's something that definitely happens. I've heard a lot of people bitch about it. I was one of them until somebody explained what was going on.

It can sting when you work some overtime and don't see as large of a number on your check as you'd expect because withholding is based on the entire gross pay for that pay period. It all works out at the end of the year, you owe what you owe, but it can make it seem like you're putting in extra hours and not seeing a corresponding increase in pay because too much is being withheld from that larger than usual check.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

SiGmA_X posted:

Holy poo poo, preschool costs 25k a year?

Two kids so yeah about that. Subsidy max was 75% coverage and our kids don’t totally overlap on age so we still save a bit. Vasectomies are definitely GWM.

I’m not bitter, the important thing is the low income households are helped out, but i would be curious to talk to the people setting that curve.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I sold my old car for 1000 bucks to my father in law (66). It is very out of the ordinary for him to buy old, cheap cars. He and his wife have bought or leased a new car about every year and a half, on average, between the two of them. My mother-in-law in very frugal, but her dentist husband wanted her to have nice things. He even bought a 2006 mustang convertible last year as a fun car, but garages it 5 months of the year because he lives in northern Ohio.

He is a "fiscal responsibility" Republican, and i found out that he has been dodging paying his taxes for a while now. I wish I had details, but the payment plan is $5,300 a month for the next 4 years. My old car is to help them shed a car payment on one they cannot afford any more.

He has not told us any of this. My wife learned it through her mom. I was shocked by just how hosed they were because he was just talking about a vacation they're taking this summer, and doing a renovation on their master bathroom.

It turns out that he's not that hosed, because his very GWM 90+ father is going to give him his share of the inheritance early, a quarter of a million dollars or more. I'm just pissed because my FIL has been living a lifestyle he had no chance of affording all while pretending nothing was wrong. Every meal he purchased for us, every gift we've received, has technically been paid for by his dad.

I guess his dad is mandating a budget be produced and followed - even making his son drop his season tickets for his Alma Mater, something he has had for literally 45 years.

I'm not supposed to know any of this. It's mind boggling how a person can be a dentist for their whole life and still have absolutely nothing to show for it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
doctors and dentists are notoriously bad with money

if he's in practice for himself leasing a car is probably GWM at some point

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
He sold his practice a few years ago. I had heard rumblings of the tax issues back then, but assumed that he paid it all off with the sale.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
It's fun how the people who say "fiscal responsibility" are usually the people with the least, and with very little understanding of money in general.

gently caress large inheritances as a social norm. Tax the poo poo out of large amounts. All the things lovely people say about handouts making people lazy and stupid are true - for them.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Nocheez posted:

I'm not supposed to know any of this. It's mind boggling how a person can be a dentist for their whole life and still have absolutely nothing to show for it.

You say he has “nothing to show for it”, but it sounds like he spent his entire professional life “showing” off the money that he earned. He just showed it off too early, too fast and didn’t save anything.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

And it sounds like he's going to be completely bailed out?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

brugroffil posted:

And it sounds like he's going to be completely bailed out?

I'm trying to come up with a too big to fail joke here.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

doctors and dentists are notoriously bad with money

if he's in practice for himself leasing a car is probably GWM at some point

It would be difficult to justify the need for a business vehicle that wasn't a taxable fringe benefit as a dentist if the IRS ever came looking. It sounds like the IRS has come looking.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Bought an expensive house 3 months ago, wants to file for bankruptcy now:

$40,000 in debt, bankruptcy seems to be the best option right now

quote:

Hello,

I am a 32 year old male, wife and two kids under 4. I currently work for an environmental consulting company in Miami for the past 7.5 years. I currently live in Broward County (not as expensive as Miami, about 40 miles north). My wife has not worked since my second kid was born in late 2017, but is starting part time work this month. It just seems that debt keeps snowballing and there doesn't seem to be a way to pay it off. It's to the point where it's negatively affecting my family time.

The only strategy I can think of is to focus on only paying down one card (with the lowest balance), while using the other cards for the normal budget (thereby paying the minimum payment but effectively not paying the cards down at all).

Monthly budget
Net Income: $4,300.00 (including wife's project net income)
Bills
mortgage $1,871.00
association fee $135.00
car lease $355.00

Discover card $250.00
All other credit cards $463.00
car insurance $75.00
groceries/necesities $700.00
gas $170.00
dining/misc $0.00
life insurance $35.51
student loan deferment
ADT/Security $39.21
Wife's bills $365.00
Gym $0.00
Cable/Internet $80.00
FPL/electricity $140.00
Water $100.00
Savings $0.00

Total amount of bills $4,778.72
Remaining -$478.72

All accounts
Account Jan-19
HSA Investments 1536.11
Roth IRA 1370.89
City Furniture -684
Chase Slate -4804.91
Barclay Card -1845.77
Amex -996.18
Citi Double Cash -4083.12
Discover Credit Card -13662.36
Student Loans -4717.2
Schwab Brokerage 78.01
Discover Savings 19.08
Fidelity 401k 9037.36
Amaz CC -3044.41
HSA 733.86
Schwab Savings 0.08
Chase Freedom -4309.62
BankAmericard -5196.83
Net Worth -30569.01

Wow that's a lot of debt, when's your lease up?

quote:

Car lease ends in about a little less than 2 years. The lease is a nissan rogue since it easily fits two car seats.

Any home equity?

quote:

No, it was purchased 3 months ago.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Debt comes in. Debt snowballs. You can't explain it.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I like the "student loan - deferment" line, i.e. "It's not currently eating in to my bills, so it doesn't exist".

How long can you defer them? I feel like this guy is going to go from hosed to turbo-hosed in no time.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Inept posted:

Bought an expensive house 3 months ago, wants to file for bankruptcy now:

$40,000 in debt, bankruptcy seems to be the best option right now

Wow that's a lot of debt, when's your lease up?

Any home equity?

Cowards from Broward get sprayed in debt.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I always thought Dave Ramsey was too hardline about credit cards but now I think I understand where it comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

AndrewP posted:

I always thought Dave Ramsey was too hardline about credit cards but now I think I understand where it comes from.

I always took it as essentially treating a financial equivalent to alcoholism. Some people just really need complete abstinence.