Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
nothing like having to do a trips report when you're staying in the barracks and don't own a car

one of the soldiers in my squad had different distances listed by a tiny amount and when questioned responded that they sometimes like to jerk it in different parts of his room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Where did all this cover your own rear end dumb Army bullshit get started?

I've never given a safety brief and I never will. Every Soldier in the Army will just rig TRIPs or any other bureaucratic red tape to say the right thing and then go do what they were planning to do anyway.

Anyone that doesn't know you can just right click edit text on PDF training certs is failing at being a Soldier.

The Army doesn't care if any of this poo poo actually works at addressing problems, just that "at least we're doing something about it" regardless of its effectiveness.

For all the importance we give to 1SGs and CSMs for their wealth of experience and common sense, they are pretty loving good at coming up with some straight up dumb rear end bullshit to make things as dumb as humanly possible. The hardon they have for loving with the barracks is insane, just leave those dudes alone, god drat.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mustang posted:

For all the importance we give to 1SGs and CSMs for their wealth of experience and common sense,

Okay, we can stop now. It's been a fun ride, but this has me convinced you've never been in the army.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Well they got hosed with in the barracks, so they need to gently caress with the new generation. How else do you weed out people with brains so they leave and the next gen of SNCO sub 100 IQs can be developed?

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Mustang posted:

Man, what the hell is up with the Army scheduling poo poo in the most godawful inconvenient way possible.

Week in the field followed by 10-15 days at NTC. Not even sure the exact days yet because the Army is cheap as gently caress and they're getting the cheapest flights possible, with some people having to wait almost up to a week before they can leave once we're done at NTC. Not sure how the living expenses while they're there saves the Army money.

Oh and that 4 day? gently caress us, we ain't getting it.

Also added almost 3 weeks onto our already 2 week long training at Yakima because who doesn't love spending a month in a frigid desert?

God drat May can't come soon enough. Everyone knows I'm getting out of the Army but our brand new support company commander loving loves logistics and won't stop talking to me about it. No matter how many times I tell him that I won't be the S4 at NTC or for the BDE FTX. poo poo is literally pointless and a waste of my time.

So ready to not have to shave every morning, not waking up at 5, and smoking all the weed.

I haven't poked my head in here for just about forever, but goddamn if you ain't exactly where I reckoned you'd be at this point

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

DoktorLoken posted:

Do they make an NDSM one?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

NEDM

I aint thought about that poo poo in years

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Yes, but can I get a GCM on my plates???

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Weird, the NDSM one doesn’t load in mobile safari.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

EBB posted:

Last time I had vehicle safety done a dumbass O3 opened my radiator cap on a hot engine instead of checking the dipstick. Yeah I made him clean that up.

I would pay to see something like that.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Great, now I've got a flashback of having two fill out Trips forms for walking the two blocks from my office to the barracks.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

A Bad Poster posted:

Great, now I've got a flashback of having two fill out Trips forms for walking the two blocks from my office to the barracks.

Had a soldier get told by BN S1 he couldn’t take leave without trips. It was local leave, and he didn’t own a car. Rather than tell leadership so they could tell S1 to get bent, he did the angry soldier thing of expertly crafting a to-scale draft of the BN footprint with to-scale stenciled footprints going to and from staff duty with a pace count and such. BN XO found it hilarious and S1 got to write a new SOP and stop micromanaging unit leave packets.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Why would S1 care if TRIPS was in their leave packet?

Seems like more of a commander thing to have as much inane bullshit in a leave packet as possible.

What if they got a slap on the wrist or a mild scolding because they did something wrong? I know that's a terrifying prospect for a commander.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Because S1 hates everyone, but most of all themselves.

Edit: obviously YMMV, but if my packet got kicked back for any reason leaderships answer is "then do it how they want it and gently caress off"

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
because the checklist from brigade says you need it!!!!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Why would S1 care if TRIPS was in their leave packet?

I dunno, it was weird. After the BN CoC it got worse and every single officer leave/pass required BN Cdr signature, because that’s the rational response to one company cdr authorizing a 2LT to take leave during a field exercise.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/josh_weinberg/status/1094339558492188672?s=21

:ohno:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
nope

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I've already lost enough brain cells. I'm not clicking that.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Thanks, I hate it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I don't understand new HHC 1SGs coming in and trying to exert their control over the staff.

Why's don't they just sit back and chill out and only worry about APFTs and weapons quals?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mustang posted:

I don't understand new HHC 1SGs coming in and trying to exert their control over the staff.

Why's don't they just sit back and chill out and only worry about APFTs and weapons quals?

Yours is not to reason why, yours is but to make sure all the boxes on your spreadsheet are green.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mustang posted:

"My dick is bigger than yours"

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I never understood the purpose of the HHC command team. I mean I understood the purpose in terms of the Army's command structure and needing to have people in charge of the HHC, but it's still really dumb to have a senior NCO and an O3 who's (presumably) already completed a company command spending their time organizing TOC layouts and trying to chase down staff to take an APFT.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Agreed, and at the same time smart ones will delegate. Ours lets each section handle their own people, and other than the readiness requirements the only thing he asks of them is to provide joes when a detail or ceremony needs it. Weirdly, our morale is the highest it’s been in years

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Our new 1SG seems to think he's the BN XO or something. Sending me calendar invites to meetings I can already see on the BN calendar? Get the gently caress out of here.

There's a bunch of other really dumb SNCO driven poo poo going on too.

The backbone of the Army.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Respond to nothing, when he comes to see you personally just keep staring at your monitor and say "Okay, Top." Bet you steam would shoot out of his ears.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

EBB posted:

Respond to nothing, when he comes to see you personally just keep staring at your monitor and say "Okay, Top." Bet you steam would shoot out of his ears.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
My favorite HHC 1SG move was way back when appointment notifications weren’t as useful as today (ie no text, calls)

He simply made appointments for everyone who was delinquent on medical readiness, then he forgot to notify those people. We had something like 20 missed appointments in one week, which is of course the kind of thing that makes senior commanders flip the gently caress out.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
tell him to address you at the position of attention and never tell him at ease :twisted:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

mods changed my name posted:

tell him to address you at the position of attention and never tell him at ease :twisted:

This.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
I've said it in here before but if you're not an extremely chill O3 or E8, you will be a horrible HHC CDR/1SG.

Now stop and think about all the extremely chill O3 and E8s you know. Oh, really? Not many? Weird.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The best day in the Army was watching a 2LT lock up my 1SG, ream him out, and tell him to stay in his lane.
This was because 1SG got upset that that LT and another- both from SF, doing line time before going back to the teams- saw nothing on the training schedule, then took the entire company for a 2 day stress shoot range. Without telling the 1SG, because he just kept saying "Leader's training" everyday with no training assets.
Man, that dude was heated.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

iKon posted:

I've said it in here before but if you're not an extremely chill O3 or E8, you will be a horrible HHC CDR/1SG.

Now stop and think about all the extremely chill O3 and E8s you know. Oh, really? Not many? Weird.

Every extremely chill O3 I knew wasn't in the Army long enough to get a HHC command.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
US Army really needs a spinal surgery, that backbone is crooked af, makes weird noises and has growths of hooah all over.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Ive met 1 cool HHC team who were laid back as gently caress. Deployed with them and they were great. I deployed late due to emergency surgery and the rear D 1SG tried to send me to Iraq two days after I had my appendix removed. Took actual 1SG to call him from Iraq to let me do con leave or something. People feel that power and just go insane trying to check off boxes.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Had a soldier get told by BN S1 he couldn’t take leave without trips. It was local leave, and he didn’t own a car. Rather than tell leadership so they could tell S1 to get bent, he did the angry soldier thing of expertly crafting a to-scale draft of the BN footprint with to-scale stenciled footprints going to and from staff duty with a pace count and such. BN XO found it hilarious and S1 got to write a new SOP and stop micromanaging unit leave packets.

I had my PTDY for house hunting/moving kicked back by the S1 OIC because I didn't have trips. So my trips was from my hotel to battalion and back to my hotel.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Lol I thought NTC couldn’t get any worse

Cue 8 inches of loving snow last night

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm at NTC too, but for LTP. Complete waste of time having me here since I only have a couple months left in position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

sucks to be you guys lol