Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

simplefish posted:

With respect I think they're pretty clear, just not as West as you wanted maybe

Basically it complies with what you said as writ.

Advance to the northern fringe of the forest but don't go beyond.

Don't take on the AT gun.

I don't see what the confusion is.

If you wanted me further West you should've ordered it - If you want to micromanage you can have em, I'll relinquish them to you.

But otherwise I am going by the letter of what you said.

Yeah the orders are clear, I don't understand how they're unintelligible to you.

The lead Stug moves to position 2 as shown before. The following Stug moves parallel but doesn't pass it. It's not rocket science.

I agree with Saros. The issue isn't the movements, but your orders themselves could be greatly simplified. You're only commanding two vehicles slightly forwards. You don't need four subsections and you have extraneous information on the map that confuses the issue.

In the last game I started writing stuff directly on the map like this:

and found that sometimes when I finished the map I didn't need any further explanation. The rest of the time each entity on the map could usually have it's task described in a couple of lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

mcbagpipes posted:

9th Company, 2nd Platoon Panzer Grenadiers Orders
This is getting terribly confusing, aren't those my guys? You now have 1st Platoon, who are the clump of infantry on the road in front of the treeline.

If my guys are those guys on the road then someone else is going to have to take my orders this turn I'm afraid, I can't map right now and I don't want to make DSM interpret a long and vague text post.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Jaguars! posted:

In the last game I started writing stuff directly on the map like this:

drat, that looks nice. Why didn't I think of that?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Alright, for reference let's call the platoons Frang and Bagpipe platoons. The orders you two initially gave were executed. Frang Platoon is packing up preparing to bound and Bagpipe Platoon is currently our FLOT.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

My bad on the orders thing

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Saros, I have a question.

What's the perfect place for your Stugs and can we help you get there?

If you're going to lay down fire from dairy farm we intend to take it within the next 10-15 minutes. If you want to make an endrun and help us roll the objective areas north to south, its going to be about 45 minutes while we're taking dairy farm and railyard to get over there first. I'd like to hear the general plan for armor and see if we can do more.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
9 company orders

Things have become clearer. This is an outline of the general company plan. Read and understand your place in it. Ask me if anything is unclear.

Intent

We will perform a hook-shaped movement based around three strongpoints. These are named Base of fire, Dairy farm and Railyard. We will concentrate on one at a time and have maximum support while taking the strongpoint at hand. This will allow us free movement to the north and into positions where we can attack the hamlet and abbey from.

Orders

Frangible, you'll be building a base of fire around these two houses. Your main task will be putting down fire towards dairy farm and railyard.

Mcbagpipes, you will take over dairy farm once we have destroyed all observed resistance to the north. You will put down fire towards railyard once you are set up and give close cover to Stugs once they move over.

Malick23, you'll take over railyard once we hold both base of fire and dairy farm. Start planning. You'll be supported by Frangible and Mcbagpipes. Once railyard is secured, I want you to set up a base of fire towards north bridge.

Once 3rd platoon is set up Frangible and Mcbagpipes will pack up and move into position to assault the objectives. We will plan this once we get there.

Dublish, your main task is to run point recon for these movements. Talk directly to platoon commanders so you know when you're covered in moving up. Destroy any enemy recon you run into but leave everything else to the guns behind you and conserve your men.

While we are taking these three vital points, we will destroy all observed opposition and help Stugs get to their supporting positions.

Timetable

We have 45 minutes in total for our maneuver.

T+10: Base of fire taken, enemy AT gun destroyed
T+25: Dairy farm taken
T+40: Railyard taken
T+45: All units in position to start the attack on objectives

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The next turn is LIVE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud7uKCnuhKA

Lots of contact, some losses on our side, no confirmed losses on theirs.

Initial Orders

Close Up

Pioneer Squad 1 Firing Order

Both Tanks' Orders Highlighted

Minute Two Orders

Final Map

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

RIP my dudes. At least we found the entire enemy deployment.

I'm very much of the opinion now that there are no Americans at the Dairy Farm, and that it is not a good idea to move there in full view of the enemy to the west.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
No movement towards dairy farm until we have decisively defeated these enemy contacts. Only move far enough into cover that you can engage. Bring halftracks with you. Everyone fights. Priority target is 2nd AT gun.

Send all tracks under my command towards the lone truck taking fire. Once they can fire at any of the contacts, halt and area fire on that contact.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Hero Truck is heroically sacrificing itself to draw enemy fire away from our infantry. Onward to Dairy Farm!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Armor orders:

Everyone stays unbuttoned. [E] target light is on location of second at gun contact.

Simplefish I will engage the AT guns with hoppefully support from the infantry. In the meantime I want you to use the buildings to find keyhole positions covered from the enemy AT where you can engage the contacts marked yellow above. We need to help our squishy buddies out.

:siren:Infantry Start a timer, 3-4 minutes from now you can expect massive enemy artillery to start falling on your heads.

Saros fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 26, 2019

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders due Jan 27 at 7:00 PM EST

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Saros posted:

Armor orders:

Everyone stays unbuttoned.

Simplefish I will engage the AT guns with hoppefully support from the infantry. In the meantime I want you to use the buildings to find keyhole positions covered from the enemy AT where you can engage the contacts marked yellow above. We need to help our squishy buddies out.

:siren:Infantry Start a timer, 3-4 minutes from now you can expect massive enemy artillery to start falling on your heads.

quote:

- 2x Stugs target 1 min on 2nd AT gun contact
- In second minute one stug target light 1 min on AT gun contact.

Target light on the initial contact?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Second, I've edited orders to say so.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Out of town at the moment, but company level command is taking care of things pretty well at the moment. Keep it up.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

As per orders:

Saros posted:

ORDERS:

INTENT
Find keyholes to attack infantry (yellow circles)
Feel free to re-prioritise which particular infantry is the target as contacts come in and go away: the main thing is supporting our guys getting shot at
Also don't get shot by the AT guns, don't enter their lines of sight.

ACTIONS

One of the Stugs goes left, at HUNT speed
It parks itself in that little pocket gap in the trees and FACES along the dark blue line, trying to achieve a useful line of sight (thin light blue line)
Give the TacAI a minute to try and acquire a target.
If it hasn't started shooting after a minute, place a TARGET order near where the infantry is.

The other Stug moves up at HUNT speed and enters the box rectangle paddock
It should go over the hedge, so as not to block line of sight of the other Stug, and so as not to get in the AT gun's line of sight.
Use houses as cover, and try to achieve a useful line of sight (thin light blue line) with FACE
Give the TacAI a minute to try and acquire a target.
If it hasn't started shooting after a minute, place a TARGET order near where the infantry is.

Take a lot of initiative on this one - there aren't many keyhole shots I can see without being seen by the AT guns, so just do your best to line them up please

END ORDERS

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
So I don't inherently see any issues with that but I will caution again that with Hunt the AI will stop the moment it makes contact. With your current routing that should keep it out of harm's way from the AT guns but always route Hunt with the mindset of, "If this unit stops anywhere on this path is that okay?"

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I was thinking along the lines of if a surprise dropped like a 3rd AT gun in some treeline, then at least they'd not ignore it. And like you say, the route makes contact unlikely - I'm kind of struggling to get sightlines. This way, if it can see anything, it'll stop in the right place.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Pioneer Ko., 1. Zug

No new orders. Make sure all TARGET orders are cancelled so my squads can shoot whatever they see.

Also, get that truck somewhere safe as quickly as possible.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
Kampfgruppe Frang

No movement and no maps, nice and simple this turn. 1 Squad are to split into two teams so that they're spread out and light up the second AT gun for the next three minutes, 3 Squad are to light up the first AT gun, 2nd Squad are to go upstairs and face generally towards the enemy, engage at their discretion. Platoon just spots.

If we see mortar spotting rounds falling around Platoon and 1 Squad, Quick them back from the brow of the hill ASAP.

mcbagpipes
Apr 17, 2010
9th Company 2nd Platoon Orders

First off...9.2.1 Should have split by now. Both of their elements will move up in support of the first platoon as per the blue line. They will advance up in support after a 30 second delay. Their Half track will lag behind and only move up if there is no significant enemy fire.

9.2.2 Should have split into a scout and fire team element. They will advance to the wood line and bring fire on the enemy. Scouts will lead, main element will follow. Halftrack will stick under cover and follow as can. Please follow the blue line.

9.2.3. will advance the most aggressively as per the blue line in the following image. Scouts will lead, main element and halftrack to follow. Hold back as required given enemy lines of sight.

Finally, 9.2.0 command will move up as follows all the while keeping under cover.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Hi there! Let's see the new turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofVBfQ6yheE

Oh. Oh my...

Here are the initial orders.

And here's the end of the turn.

So we lost a single machine gunner but the assistant picked it up and resumed firing. Meanwhile, we lost a stug and three of its crew members, the commander the only survivor.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders are due Thursday, January 31 at 7:00 PM EST.

Oberstleutnant Jaguars felt a sense of relief as he spied the much needed heavy weapons working their way up the hill from the wrecked streets of Mortain. That'll be just the ticket to deal with the obstinate Americans up the highway. But no sooner had he delivered the welcome news to Hauptmann Hob_Gadling, the radio in Battalion CP crackled to life once more. The pioneers were approaching from the north, and in the darkness had stumbled into some lost comrades to boot!

Reinforcements on deck! The following will arrive at 1:15:00 (not the turn Thursday, but the next one). It'll spawn as shown in the screenshots.

In the south you get:
9 Kompanie, 4 Zug (heavy weapons).
-Platoon HQ (halftrack)
-1 Section (2x MG42 with halftrack)
-2 Section (2x MG42 with halftrack)
-3 Section HQ (in 2 Squad's halftrack)
--1 Squad (81mm mortar, ammo bearers with halftrack)
--2 Squad (81mm mortar, ammo bearers with halftrack)
-4 Section (2x SPW 251/9 Stummel)

In the north you get:
Regimental Pioneers
-Pioneer Company HQ (kubelwagen)
-Pioneer 2 & 3 Zug (motorized)
-Pioneer Machine Gun Section (2x MG42)
All these infantry will spawn dismounted.

2nd SS Panzer Regiment, I Battalion, 3 Kompanie, 1 Zug (5x Panzer IV)

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

reinforcement reporting, i'll get on the discord and the roll20 in the next few days

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Appointments: We need someone to take up Pioneer company command. One of the Pioneer platoon commanders is the most natural fit, but the position is open to anyone.
Saros, you have yourself, Kevz, pthighs and Simplefish in the pool. Divvy up the tanks as you see fit.

Malick23 - I've confirmed with Fray that 3 zug is still out there somewhere and will arrive sometime after this reinforcement wave.

9.Co:
Advance warning. To keep up the momentum and get more crossfires going, I want new ground taken in the next 10 minutes. To me the only clear way is to push the right flank under the cover of suppression but if you want to go to bat for another plan do so.

Weapons teams can be under your direct command or attached to subordinates as you think appropriate.

Armoured Group
In terms of doctrine for the tanks, I think we can take more risks than the Stugs but I want to ensure at least three survive. They can take on AT threats but use numbers and cunning, I don't want to see any one on one duels. I think we can all agree that getting in back of those AT guns is the juiciest prize, but if we can force them to redeploy that's just as good. Expect line company bazooka teams to be guarding them up close.

Keep risks to the Stugs minimal. If we lose another one I want the remaining ones secured until we can find better bombardment places.

Pioneer Co: More detail when a company commander is appointed. Mission remains the same but you can expect to be cooperating closely with the tanks. Blasting holes in the hedgerows is a likely task.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 30, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Right off the bat, I'll say that Saros, I don't really want any more units to command. If you would rather consolidate the stugs under yourself and say rotate me onto the 2 stummels or 2 of the panzers, up to you, I'm fine with any way you want to assign the armour, but I don't really want more than 2 units.

I've actually got something pretty major coming up in the next 2 weeks and while I hope I can still have enough time to command the stugs, I might end up needing to hand them back so me taking on more units would cause more disruption to the team in future. I'll give you notice if I do need to hand the stugs off.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 30, 2019

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Do we have any other armor commanders or volunteers and would you be okay picking up the third stug to command?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Oh yeah, I can do, that's probably a good way to work it

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Cool Stugs are all yours, sorry about the one with the hole and all the blood on the inside.

Malick23
Sep 10, 2001
I bought all my friends forum accounts and all I got was this lousy custom title
Thanks, I was a bit worried.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
9 Co orders

Now we have them where we want them. Everyone fights, no one quits. Bring all halftracks forward and add their machine guns firepower into the mix. AT guns are priority target.

Company has been ordered to advance. We have 10 minutes. Frangible and Mcbagpipes will lay down covering fire while Koolkevz advances.

Frangible, you're our base of fire towards the railyard forest. I'll give you all my halftracks for the time being for extra machine guns. Get all of them into the firing line and keep it up.

Mcbagpipes, pour it on. I want your entire platoon firing on enemy positions until 3rd platoon comes up.

Koolkevz, you get the entire third platoon and heavy weapons that go with it. I want mortar fire on known AT gun locations. The rest of your platoon will deploy on the right. You will link up with reinforcements and destroy any enemy forces near dairy farm. Then set up a base of fire towards hamlet.

Dublish, move your half-platoon to the left flank of our position. I want you to clear the contacts we had.

My units:

Run 9 co HQ command squad into house marked with yellow. Run 9 co HQ second team into house marked with blue. Run btn XO squad into house we spotted the american halftrack from, top floor, and have them face west.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 2, 2019

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Jaguars, I really need to know the general direction of advance for Pioneer co. Will they be taking Dairy Farm or rolling up the forest near Railyard? I can't help them if I don't know where they're going.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I'm still here. I'm fine to not have a command as I'm moderately busy at the moment with RL and Saros' LP, but I can help out if needed.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Hob_Gadling posted:

Dublish, move your half-platoon to the left flank of our position. I want you to clear the contacts we had.

Is that my south 2 squads near the abbey, or my north 2 squads at the valley? Both have seen infantry contacts to the west.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So the getting lines of sight on infantry clumps from inside the safety of t village didn't really work out.

What's the plan for the stugs?
Attack the AT guns we can see? Raze the railyard?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

dublish posted:

Is that my south 2 squads near the abbey, or my north 2 squads at the valley? Both have seen infantry contacts to the west.

South 2 squads. Your northern guys are doing good work and I want them to keep shooting.

mcbagpipes
Apr 17, 2010
9th Company 2nd Platoon Orders

Squads will split as per my previous post.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879791&pagenumber=4#post492050182

We will advance along the blue lines at a quick pace with the scout elements leading by about 30 seconds. Half tracks will follow their respective squads at a 1 minute delay. All teams will fire on the best available targets with the AT guns taking precedence if they can be seen.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Pioneer Ko., 1. Zug

Zug HQ, 1. Squad, 2. Squad:

Color coded for your convenience!

CONTINGENCY ORDERS:
If small contacts (outside the abbey) appear near the path of this group's movements, both squads should ASSAULT or TARGET the enemy. Which squads do what will depend on the situation, use your best judgement.
If large contacts show up that 2 squads are going to have difficulty defeating, all squads should withdraw south/southeast to the nearest woods for cover.

3. Squad, 4. Squad:

Both B Teams should TARGET the AT gun at its last known position. Set the TARGET location behind the bocage- I'd rather have bullets go over the enemy's head than hit the ground in front of the hedge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Provisional Stug orders: the Stug that can see the AT guns should TARGET the one that's set up (not the one on the move) as it's the more immediate threat, for the full turn. It may be burning through ammo but it's better than burning up.

I'd like to get the other 2 into ambush positions if they can't see anything from where they are so any suggestions and/or screenshots would be appreciated