Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
It won't be a while yet, but... Before we take down the holy nation we should get those 'Super hero league' or whatever people first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
HN lands aren't too bad once you kick them out. It's just hard. stealth kidnapping isn't 100%

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Put me in, as Mars, preferably a Scorchlander.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Oh, right. If you ever recruit another skeleton, my name (Tombot) is probably a suitable choice.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

I will be Don Jo as any type.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Tombot posted:

It won't be a while yet, but... Before we take down the holy nation we should get those 'Super hero league' or whatever people first.

I know in gameplay terms it'd be nigh impossible, but I really wish we could charge into their fort, beat everyone up, and steal it for our own.

Yeah, I know it's got turrets and the like, but the mental image is hilarious.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Dr. Snark posted:

I know in gameplay terms it'd be nigh impossible, but I really wish we could charge into their fort, beat everyone up, and steal it for our own.

Yeah, I know it's got turrets and the like, but the mental image is hilarious.

That's definitely doable, but the main problem would be you usually can't build your own stuff near other buildings as far as using it.

Grammish
Mar 5, 2008
I’ve been having a blast reading this. If you find another Shek and nobody else is up, please feel free to name it Grammish.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Drakenel posted:

HN lands aren't too bad once you kick them out. It's just hard. stealth kidnapping isn't 100%

They're great farms if you manage to settle the river areas, but they're just fukken 'lolno' for metals, which i find to be the major stumbling block for me- can't make the best stuff without metal, after all. That said, there's one patch of regular desert right next to the Black Desert's western entrance that has a lot of iron and a few copper deposits along with around 30-40% water patches, so that's a pretty okay if very isolated base for squishy fleshies (skeletons can trade at the Black Desert City and UC a bit more easily though).

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Put me in coach as jimmydalad. Not picky about who I am in the game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the border zone is nice enough to settle in because there's no powerful faction patrols that hit you up there, it's really only attacks from various bandits that are easy enough to take care of. it looks like a desert but you can grow crops there well enough and there's a good amount of water accessible through wells and good numbers of minerals scattered about. it's also fairly centrally located.

realistically though no, the main places that are actually nice to settle in are already occupied by cities and there's no mechanic by which a player can take control of a city.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I feel the lack of a city-taking mechanic is pretty glaring.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Not even in the 'depopulate/recruit everyone' sense?

Missed opportunity.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sadly you cannot overtake cities nor build near them. This also includes ruins, even if the ruins are just a destroyed building with nothing in it. Which sucks cause I would totally take the ghost village for myself.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you can use some mods that allow you to take over areas if you depopulate them and re-import the save or some similar byzantine rigmarole. but being marked as a player zone means that all the merchants stop working and you don't get normal city traffic with drifters hitting the bars and such. those two things are kind of the entire value proposition for taking a city in the first place.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Coolguye posted:

you can use some mods that allow you to take over areas if you depopulate them and re-import the save or some similar byzantine rigmarole. but being marked as a player zone means that all the merchants stop working and you don't get normal city traffic with drifters hitting the bars and such. those two things are kind of the entire value proposition for taking a city in the first place.

If you can't tax people or get them to gamble away their life's savings, what's the point really? :shrug:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I do feel disappointed that they never got around to making NPC's for player towns a thing.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
This lp and the overall commentary on the game has been a bit of a rolercoaster in simultaneously making me want to buy it, and making me want to stay the hell away from it.
The talk on lack of city taking and player city npcs is currently pushing me towards the later.

Though it is always possible that might be features added in the far future or modded in eventually, somehow.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
All I want for cities are automated caravans. That's it. I want to adventure and explore the world while a bunch of mooks sell my Premium Booze™- that, and some sort of endgame. Otherwise, I find Kenshi to be pretty much my perfect game even with the jank.

Anyway, with respect to player settlements, the main reason for me to build them is to manufacture weapons and armour- IIRC the only tier that a player town cannot manufacture reliably is the highest, super-duper-dee-duper ultimate tier because THAT tier requires pre-apocalypse manufacturing techniques.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah there's very little solid reason to build your own town until very late in the game. until then you are better off just buying buildings in towns that have good merchants. buy cheap base materials from them and cook, brew, smith, etc to refine them into something that costs more, then sell it back. expand operations until you run out of supply and then leave one or two recruited morons behind to keep things going while you move on to do it again.

and that's if you don't want to do one even easier - just grind Thievery and Stealth until you can reliably steal from most containers and just roll from town to town, stealing all the most valuable poo poo you can lay your hands on and then skipping town to fence it the next town over. that will make you tens of thousands of cats very, very quickly. as long as you have cats and a place to research you have what you REALLY need for most of the game, and one of the things that is easy to forget is exactly how valuable the NPC guards are. security is pretty difficult to provide and harder to guarantee in this game. a respawning squad of burly badasses to beat the stuffing out of the screaming assholes who run by your house every few days is quite a thing to get for free.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Coolguye posted:

and that's if you don't want to do one even easier - just grind Thievery and Stealth until you can reliably steal from most containers and just roll from town to town, stealing all the most valuable poo poo you can lay your hands on and then skipping town to fence it the next town over. that will make you tens of thousands of cats very, very quickly. as long as you have cats and a place to research you have what you REALLY need for most of the game, and one of the things that is easy to forget is exactly how valuable the NPC guards are. security is pretty difficult to provide and harder to guarantee in this game. a respawning squad of burly badasses to beat the stuffing out of the screaming assholes who run by your house every few days is quite a thing to get for free.

Yeah that's what I'm currently doing. My main dude turned into a turbo fast, ultra stealthy cat burglar who can knock out anyone I've met with so far 100% certainty(assassin rags are great, yo) from behind and the sides, as long as I don't wander in front of them because even max stealth won't help you there.

In order to lug all the loot back home I've stolen 2 shopkeeper bags that weight 100Kilos each, annihilate your stealth AND dodge (both get a x0 multiplyer!) when worn but provide pretty much the same space as a large cupboard each.
I just stuff anything I can steal that's not dirt cheap into those and put them into my regular inventory plus a medium ninja backpack that gets actually worn. Perfetly stealthy setup apart from the encumbrace penalty.

My burglar dude also happens to have about twice as much strength as the other two melee relevant stats from constantly carrying a dead body early on and stealing absolutely EVERYTHING now.

Thievery is quite easily trained manually: Find or make a comatose enemy you can beat up if neccecary wait until they play dead and steal, say, a roll of bandages off them. If you succeed without getting caught you get a large amount of thievery exp. I've bullied my way to thievery 40 off some poor starving bandits who fell back unconscious again for about 5 seconds even when I failed to steal their pipes and he would try to play dead again right away.

I'm sitting at 140k cats at less than 40 days game time and I started robbing Holy Nation shops blind only ten days ago. Those fools actually make it easy by going to bed at night!

And another trick for braindead easy fencing of goods: build restricted inventory furniture asap. Anything you put in those gets stripped of the stolen tag.
General storage containers won't but even containers that restrict you to a single type of items, e.g. weapons, armour, crossbow bolts will do.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Hey, thanks for doing this!

I did encounter this game through youtube in the past but back then it seemed too janky and tiresome to get into. But with the current release and QOL mods on steam it looks like I'm going to grab it since I'm a big fan of sandbox rpgs. Mount&blade is the closest thing to this that I enjoy but the combat is different of course. And here is also something I wonder about. How much micro-managing do you have to do during combat? While reading along it seems that combat can become really frantic at times and I just imagine constantly jamming the pause to line up the right actions/orders in time so that I don't get destroyed

Anyway you can but me down on the bench for a skeleton

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can put me down as some animal.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 26, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

Hey, thanks for doing this!

I did encounter this game through youtube in the past but back then it seemed too janky and tiresome to get into. But with the current release and QOL mods on steam it looks like I'm going to grab it since I'm a big fan of sandbox rpgs. Mount&blade is the closest thing to this that I enjoy but the combat is different of course. And here is also something I wonder about. How much micro-managing do you have to do during combat? While reading along it seems that combat can become really frantic at times and I just imagine constantly jamming the pause to line up the right actions/orders in time so that I don't get destroyed

Anyway you can but me down on the bench for a skeleton

On the whole combat is automatic. You would only need to micromanage archers to make sure they aren't shooting your own dudes, but for the most part people will seek out enemies. Only real micromanagement will be sending people to take on any archers or trying to spread your dudes out so you don't have someone being double teamed while 3 of your guys is teaming up on one.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Sorry if it's been explained already, but can you tame wild animals like the weirdo spiders and Beak Things? Not asking you to, especially not yet, just wondering if it's possible.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Sorry if it's been explained already, but can you tame wild animals like the weirdo spiders and Beak Things? Not asking you to, especially not yet, just wondering if it's possible.

Not by default, I don't think. That said, there are certainly mods that allow you to do that, and if you're willing to get your hands dirty you can even make them part of your starting party.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I really hope these devs get to make a Kenshi 2 or something like it. There's so much potential and cool ideas here, but it looks like these guys genuinely ran out of time/money to push them any further, and I'd kill to see them have the chance to really have them pan out.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Snark posted:

I really hope these devs get to make a Kenshi 2 or something like it. There's so much potential and cool ideas here, but it looks like these guys genuinely ran out of time/money to push them any further, and I'd kill to see them have the chance to really have them pan out.

One guy made this game over 10 years.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

One guy made this game over 10 years.

Then give this man a loving team, because if one man can make a game this good even with this much jank, my point stands.

also holy poo poo that's insane

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 25, 2019

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Unfortunately, the experience has burnt him out so hard it's unlikely we'd ever have a Kenshi 2. IIRC he still wants to make games, but the next game's gonna be a little smaller in scope.

EDIT: Things seem to be looking up for the guy though! From the latest Kenshi update:

quote:

We now have Vitali, our new 3D Artist, joining us remotely, and hopefully an extra programmer very soon to join us in our UK office. We also have a team of concept artists working with us. Among the various studios we hired was Studio 5518 who we discovered after finding their own Kenshi fan art

The aforementioned Kenshi fanart here.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 25, 2019

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Unfortunately, the experience has burnt him out so hard it's unlikely we'd ever have a Kenshi 2. IIRC he still wants to make games, but the next game's gonna be a little smaller in scope.

EDIT: Things seem to be looking up for the guy though! From the latest Kenshi update:

The aforementioned Kenshi fanart here.

I guess that explains why modding is so necessary: it's literally finishing a game after its creator became incapable of fully realizing it.

That's no slight against him by the way! With something this big I can certainly understand burnout happening.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I propose that we name one of our new recruits Nepgear.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

I WILL loving CUT YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ibblebibble posted:

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

You do realize that said newest recruit will probably be left to die fighting alone against a horde of giant spiders, right? :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Last Transmission posted:

Thievery is quite easily trained manually: Find or make a comatose enemy you can beat up if neccecary wait until they play dead and steal, say, a roll of bandages off them. If you succeed without getting caught you get a large amount of thievery exp. I've bullied my way to thievery 40 off some poor starving bandits who fell back unconscious again for about 5 seconds even when I failed to steal their pipes and he would try to play dead again right away.
if you're willing to be mega cheesy it's even easier than this. walk into any store and steal everything that's on the shelves, rather than in a box. then drop it all and do it again.

stealing from the world rather than a container succeeds 100% of the time and still gives XP.

yeah stealing is broken as gently caress in this game.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Ibblebibble posted:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ibblebibble posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

maybe we can split the difference and name a recruit Plutia, iirc she was one of the less contemptible aspects of that last trainwreck