Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
When was the last time Suzuki won a GP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

When was the last time Suzuki won a GP?

2016 Vinales.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Vinales is just in I literally can’t tell if it’s you or the bike territory now. It’s obvious the Yamaha has some real issues (and has for a while now), but how much of Rossi (+0.462) vs vinales (+34.077) is just Rossi being much better and how much is riding style being different and unsuited?

About 30 of that +34 is a ride through penalty. He's able to go fast on it he just drops like a rock at the start and spends the rest of his time climbing back up.

Also 3 breakdowns in one weekend for HRC is appalling.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Given how much power these bikes have, I'm a bit surprised that someone hasn't put a starter system onto their bike. I'm sure you could make something small/light. It seems like it'd save a rider at least once a season from being unable to restart a bike. If Marquez was able to get that bike going right away I think he still wins the race.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

About 30 of that +34 is a ride through penalty. He's able to go fast on it he just drops like a rock at the start and spends the rest of his time climbing back up.

and 4 of it is the unnecessary penalty lap he did before the ride through

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

echomadman posted:

and 4 of it is the unnecessary penalty lap he did before the ride through

Yeah, that's fair. Two penalties is a lot.

Let's go back a race.
Rossi +9.81s.
Vinales DNF.

Oh.

Two races?
Rossi +0.600s
Vinales + 2.481s.

Same question though, even if it's not as bad. He's still not the guy winning the first race on a suzuki in a hundred years that Yamaha hired and while the Yamaha is not a good bike, Rossi is consistently riding better than he is. I don't really understand why Vinales is having such a hard time when his gas tank is full at the start of the race because that's really what seems like the issue. Once they're later on he starts steadily going faster and faster.

n8r posted:

Given how much power these bikes have, I'm a bit surprised that someone hasn't put a starter system onto their bike. I'm sure you could make something small/light. It seems like it'd save a rider at least once a season from being unable to restart a bike. If Marquez was able to get that bike going right away I think he still wins the race.

By my very rough count, he would have had at least twelve seconds before he gets started (although it takes the commentators a couple seconds to realize he's crashed so maybe more like 14?) even with a starter. He was four seconds up so that puts him 8-10 seconds down, not at full speed and he has to go back up through the field. If he can do 4 seconds in 8 laps, I'm not sure the math works out there for him. Even assuming he's able to go marginally faster because he's seeing red. He also messed up his footpeg apparently https://www.visordown.com/news/racing/motogp/big-mistake-ends-marquez-unbeaten-run

Do they have batteries or would you have to add that as well? LiFePO probably means you're only adding 1/2 lb to 1 lb for the battery.

Either way, I assume the rationale is there are track workers and if a starter would work then a bump start will work too so why add additional complexity and weight for such a low-probability event (crash + not injured + bike not broken + fast enough to get back points + bike can't bump start but could start with a starter) but I don't actually know.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I was sitting at turn 15, and when Marquez crashed the Grand stands near me went wild. It was pretty crazy.

I didn't necessarily want Marquez to crash out, but I really didn't want to watch another runaway race with him. That was definitely the most exciting MotoGP race we've had at COTA. The Moto3 and Moto2 races we're also great.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Except bump starting often doesn't work.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I constantly see the need for starters. It doesn't even have to be an electric motor, there's tons of creative solutions. Make the starter powered by a carbon fiber air cylinder, or gently caress even a shotgun shell like old planes and cars. It would only restart the engine once but I can only recall a single instance of someone falling twice and still be in the race. Whether they stall on the grid before race start or gently lowside, it seemingly happens to someone at least every other race.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Reasons for starters: as discussed above.

Reasons against starters: weight

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Honestly, if you gave most racers an option between

A. You come in 2nd every race
or
B. You win 3 races but DNF half the rest

I think most racers would honestly pick B? Its a contrived scenario but people chase that victory over everything else, including safety if it isn't mandated by the sport.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Reasons for starters: as discussed above.

Reasons against starters: weight

Unless or until it’s mandated as a spec piece, teams won’t care. Because the weight and balance matters much more than re-starting the one time it happens during a race.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
There's already a good way to avoid having to restart your bike.

It's called not falling down.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

There's already a good way to avoid having to restart your bike.

It's called not falling down.

:hmmyes:

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Spend your effort preventing loving up instead of spending it on recovering from fuckups.

Given how competitive this stuff is with weight and how rarely you can crash and still fight for points even with a fast restart it’s pretty clearly not worth having a starter. If it was the guys with millions on the line would probably have them.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
At least Cal oughta have one. Although, I guess he doesn't actually try to get going again, does he?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Marquez literally flip flopping the bike, then falling off after the failed bump start and rolling onto his back in defeat like a giant orange beetle :kiss:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Here are my crappy videos from the GP. I did the weekend cheap, so here's the view from two of the general admission areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1dM3Mzy4mE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liHUnzcQScY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgatWcM14Pk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fivEwMPPLt4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYXtubiG0h0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jEfk9-5XnM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jotL7pGjtB8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Khk8RXF-50

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwSmkQGnsYI

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/meowlibrary/status/1117907353381163009

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
What the heck happened?

1 20 Fabio QUARTARARO
2 21 Franco MORBIDELLI
3 93 Marc MARQUEZ
4 4 Andrea DOVIZIOSO
5 12 Maverick VIÑALES
6 35 Cal CRUTCHLOW
7 9 Danilo PETRUCCI
8 30 Takaaki NAKAGAMI
9 42 Alex RINS
10 63 Francesco BAGNAIA
11 99 Jorge LORENZO
12 36 Joan MIR

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Quartararo and morbidelli demonstrated there's nothing wrong with the Yamaha's speed. And people thought the zarco years were embarrassing!

They'll drop like rocks in the race though, my money's still on a Marquez dovi podium. Super disappointed for Lorenzo too, a few sessions there he was looking loving dangerous.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Close on the predictions, though mechanical issues for Quatararo.

Marquez, Rins, Vinales, Dovi, Petrucci, Rossi, Morbidelli Clutchlow

That was a heck of a wreck in the first two corners of Moto2.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 5, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Some scary crashes in general this weekend. Funny how every time it looks like someone will walk off with it, there's unexpected drama. Yet when it looks like it'll be super close it turns out to be a procession race.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Boring race.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Nice one for Rins

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
the race...was bad

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Meanwhile in WSBK, Rea finally won something, coming out on top in the superpole race and in race 1.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
MotoGP France round, it's damp.

Q2:
Marc MARQUEZ
Danilo PETRUCCI
Jack MILLER
Andrea DOVIZIOSO
Valentino ROSSI
Franco MORBIDELLI
Takaaki NAKAGAMI
Jorge LORENZO
Aleix ESPARGARO
Fabio QUARTARARO
Maverick VIÑALES
Pol ESPARGARO

Morbidelli and Rossi had to come through Q1

Rossi's Q1 time: 1'37.667 Q2 Time: 1'41.655

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Moto3 was good, Moto2's second place fight was pretty good, MotoGP started out entertaining, but ended pretty boring.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Skreemer posted:

Moto3 was good, Moto2's second place fight was pretty good, MotoGP started out entertaining, but ended pretty boring.

I fully understand why but I feel like Miller should have realized earlier on that he'd hosed his tires and let dovi through when he still had a chance at marquez and not when they completely gave out when marc had a 2 second advantage

honestly I was a bit bored with 3 and sad but as always it delivered by the end

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/6e66o/status/1130037193467224066?s=19

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Pre race guys said that HRC told Lorenzo to get some results or he's out. Been a pretty disappointing year for him so far. I don't see him ever being competitive again.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

hayden. posted:

Pre race guys said that HRC told Lorenzo to get some results or he's out. Been a pretty disappointing year for him so far. I don't see him ever being competitive again.

I still don't understand why HRC hired Lorenzo in the first place. His talent is...unpredictable, and his personality certainly isn't going to sell a lot of repsol brand t-shirts. Maybe they'll let cal ride (crash) a factory bike in 2020. I've also heard there's some guy in moto2 named Marquez who did ok this weekend, and the last time they hired one of them it worked out pretty well.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

hayden. posted:

the quick interview the pit lane guy did with the team manager was very much no we would never say that about an ultimatum but it's definitely a persistent rumor for a reason. he was really strong through most of the practices really but not good when it mattered.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
knowing the result, is the MGP race still worth watching

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

If another Marquez joins the top level and wins constantly I would entirely stop watching

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

hayden. posted:

If another Marquez joins the top level and wins constantly I would entirely stop watching

He should do a Rossi and go ride a shitter bike for the fun of it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mactheknife posted:

knowing the result, is the MGP race still worth watching

If you can find a highlight package, yeah. There were some good bits but otherwise it was... meh for the rest of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

warm up lap gave me a laugh though